Old 1st February 2023, 23:54   #541
BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

While looking for a tyre upgrade, this may come in handy

Tyre Compare
Old 2nd February 2023, 09:34   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Top 10 best 4x4s and off-road cars 2023 in UK - Suzuki Jimny finds a place!

Where we're going, we don't need roads: these 4x4s are capable on just about any surface

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-capture.jpg

Suzuki markets the Jimny as the world's only lightweight proper off-roader, which is all very true, refreshingly.

Quote:
This thing really works off road, as we've demonstrated with a twin test against a Toyota Land Cruiser. Indeed, with tiny overhangs, its approach, breakover and departure angles are all superior to those of the Wrangler, which is quite something, and being so small and light makes it surprisingly spry on mud and gravel and pleasingly easy to handle.
You will also, we guarantee, fall for the Jimny's kei car looks. Which is just as well, because its naturally aspirated 1.5-litre petrol engine isn't particularly economical, its boot is tiny, its road manners are only a notch or two above dismal and it can be particularly alarming when you need to stop in a hurry.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:10   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Iconic Jimny in 5d (Zeta variant) shows its road presence,
I'd get those rims anyday even if i buy the top spec Jimny, looks way better than the stock alloys. Are there any differences in the tyre size for base and top variant?
Old 2nd February 2023, 12:07   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I'd get those rims anyday even if i buy the top spec Jimny, looks way better than the stock alloys. Are there any differences in the tyre size for base and top variant?
The tyre size is the same. The Alpha also gets the spare as an alloy.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 14:14   #545
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

The Jimny - a pretty versatile Micro Overlander!
I think this will definitely open up a whole new world of affordable exploration for normal, middle of the road, average joe kind of people like most of us working persons.
I love it. And wish they succeed phenomenally.

See the two Youtube videos attached.
The new and the old.

shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 18:11   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
...or lack there of.

Gypsy has more presence, due to its height. Perhaps Maruti should have thought about giving the 5 door a slightly upward sloping rear roof like the classic defender instead of sticking with Gwagon inspired flat roof.
Probably a contrarian opinion but I delight whenever I see a Jimny precisely because of its Tonka car like dimensions. Amidst a sea of vast land yachts and hulking SUVs, I find it enormously refreshing to see the pint sized Jimny. It's pretty much the manifestation of the argument that the vast size of modern SUVs is more a consequence of image than actual off roading utility, and that if you're going to mostly confine yourself to the urban jungle, then IMO, this is about all the SUV you need. Though I will concede the irony being that many will want the Jimny for it's looks, and not it's SUV capability (myself included).
ads11 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 20:28   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
...or lack there of.

Gypsy has more presence, due to its height. Perhaps Maruti should have thought about giving the 5 door a slightly upward sloping rear roof like the classic defender instead of sticking with Gwagon inspired flat roof.
Not sure I would agree.

Road presence is not about size, it is about being noticeable - which means besides size, other factors like the design (play of lines) and stance also come into play.

I remember this bit about Thar from Team-BHP's official Gloster review (and we all know which was the bigger of the two vehicles)

Quote:
Fellow Moderator Aditya was reviewing the Thar diesel. We ended up driving and reviewing both cars parallelly. It was like the Gloster was the bodyguard for a celebrity. Not one person looked at the gargantuan SUV which was brand new in the market standing next to or behind the Thar. Everyone on the road was just following the Thar to look at it.
Just like the Muller-Lyer illusion - a well-known optical illusion in which two lines of the same length appear to be of different lengths - the Jimny, thanks to its clean straight lines and upright stance, manages to look bigger than it is. The Innova Hycross too does this, managing to look much bigger that the Crysta with a raised bonnet and a more upright stance.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230202-200624.jpg

I believe a few others would agree on the Jimny nailing that illusion part.

Quote:
The Jimny almost performs an optical illusion, appearing tall and imposing.
https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars/re...0)-review/6801

The nice thing with Jimny is that if one were to solely play on the size aspect to increase road presence, one could also add a humble carrier to it. Or, you know, go the whole hog and add wider tires, decals, lights, etc.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-delta4x4_suzuki_jimny_yellow_portal_warehouse.jpg

And nothing will look out of place!

Last edited by nishsingh : 2nd February 2023 at 20:30.
nishsingh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 21:11   #548
Distinguished - BHPian

MARUTI SUZUKI TO INDIAN ARMY: 3 DOOR, SOFT TOP JIMNY IS GYPSY REPLACEMENT

Link (Rumour: Indian Army could replace Gypsy with the Jimny)

Update on Jimny bookings:

Shashank Srivastava, ED, Maruti Suzuki.

Quote:
For Jimny, we are getting 700 to 800 bookings a day. We started bookings on January 12 at the auto expo and so far, we have got 16,500 bookings for Jimny and 5,500 for Fronx.
Link

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd February 2023 at 22:11. Reason: As requested.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 22:26   #549
BHPian

Since we are discussing aftermarket tyre option so much, I am wondering if the OEM ones really are bad? What would be the pros and cons of living with the Bridgestone duelers and oem size?
I have recently used the gypsy with original nylon tyres and it is really awesome in terrible terrain, pretty much puncture and cut proof

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 2nd February 2023 at 22:38.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 23:32   #550
BHPian

Could seniors throw light on Jimny`s ESP and BLSD? Traction control which is supposed to be part of ESP and Brake Limited slip differential Do they work in tandem or separate? BLSD and traction control both apply brake to slipping wheel or both have different functions?

Will Jimny with its naturally aspirated engine be ok with BS6 phase2 RDE emission norms to be introduced later this year?

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd February 2023 at 17:26. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 3rd February 2023, 00:24   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You know, in the Maruti Gypsy, the OEM recommended tyre always was F78-15. Nylon Cross Ply. If one wished to go to Radials, the recommended upgrade was 205/70/15. These 205’s were very comfortable to steer and gave good cushioning and grip. Sadly most of us Gypsy users couldn't find this size easily in the 1980’s, 1990’s, 2000’s and even 2010’s. Even now in the 2020’s one has to hunt a bit and ask around. So we generally tended to put 215/75/15. It worked.
However it is worth keeping in mind that any size above the recommended one, will definitely result in long term detrimental effects on the steering and suspension geometry.
For this reason alone, if I buy the Jimny, I would move only to the 215/70/15 which I saw in Dubai.
I use 205/70 R15 Yokohama Geolander ATs in my Gypsy and they are readily available in most of the tyre shops and cost wise it is around Rs 5500 per tyre. I have driven various Gypsies with different tyre sizes and the best combination according to me was 215/75 R15 with negative offset rims or 205/70 R15 (the wheel well looks quite empty with this size) on standard steel rims. 235/75 R15 is an overkill for the stock suspension, I believe as one of the gypsies I drove with this combination felt quite underpowered. If money is not a constraint and if you are into serious off-roading, go for Maxxis Bighorn 215/75/15 and if you prefer to drive it more on the roads then go for either Yokohama Geolanders (205/70/15) or Continental CrossContact (215/75/15).
Akash_1806 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 07:33   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
And nothing will look out of place!
On a lighter note, we better not get our hopes high from the looks of the 3 door in that image. Its lifted beyond practicality. Its got portal axles.

I think the stock vehicle has a decent amount of ground clearance. And since it does not have an IFS, the G.C. will not change when affected by tricky road surfaces, overloading, vehicle tilt, etc. However, if somebody wants a little more height, and wouldn't mind adding a wee bit more sway to the already er... decent road manners, a 2 inch lift with a set of multi rate springs should be enough.
aravind422 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 08:03   #553
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash_1806 View Post
I use 205/70 R15 Yokohama Geolander ATs in my Gypsy and they are readily available
Gypsies with different tyre sizes and the best combination according to me was 215/75 R15 with negative offset rims or 205/70 R15 (the wheel well looks quite empty with this size) on standard steel rims. 235/75 R15 is an overkill for the stock suspension,
it more on the roads then go for either Yokohama Geolanders (205/70/15) or Continental CrossContact (215/75/15).
My present tyres are stock Nylons and they work perfectly. Like you I have also driven and owned Gypsys with 215/75/15 and this is bearable. Ive driven Gypsys with 235/75/15 and this is serious overkill - too fat and hard to steer and even the ride becomes horrible and articulation suffers. So for me it is just a bad idea. 205/70/15 is neat but as I said I ve not found these easily - may be I didn't look hard enough in the right places.

Im not really in favour of Power Steering and all in my Gypsy. Its perfectly fine the way it is. And I don't want to overfill the wheel wells either because of loss in articulation.

Ref the new Jimny we dont know enough about it yet in India, in practical real life terms despite all that the internet says. Plus this is the 5 door and bot the 3 door. So I would hold off for now and say it is better to stay with the recommended size and perhaps go for the recommended upsize within the acceptable tolerance limits. This will only help enhance the vehicle’s comfort and performance.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd February 2023 at 08:06.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 16:48   #554
BHPian

I have a question for the BHPians who might have driven the Jimny 3 door, how is the ride quality compared to the Maruti Gypsy which has a leaf spring suspension? I believe that the 5 door version shall be slightly better than the 3 door version in terms of ride quality due to the longer wheelbase. Will it be liveable if considered for daily driving?

Last edited by Akash_1806 : 3rd February 2023 at 16:50. Reason: grammar
Old 3rd February 2023, 16:50   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash_1806 View Post
I have a question for the BHPians who might have driven the Jimny 3 door, how is the ride quality compared to the Maruti Gypsy with those rigid axles? I believe that the 5 door version shall be slightly better than the 3 door version in terms of ride quality due to the longer wheelbase. Will it be liveable if considered for daily driving?
I have been in one as a passenger some years ago. Forget about the wheelbase. The Gypsy has/had leaf springs all round and was always a mobile bouncy castle. Jimny has a far better suspension setup & the ride quality is much better than a stock Gypsy on urban road conditions. Of course its still a very light weight car on a tall ladder-frame setup. So it is no magic carpet, but beats Gypsy. At least that's my personal experience.

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd February 2023 at 16:52.
Reinhard is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed