Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2023, 20:09   #601
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtman View Post
The true size of Jimny stumps many. Most people (including myself) didn't really consider the wheel arch extensions in the Jimny when comparing its width to other cars.

I just saw the number in the brochure (1,645 mm), which led me to believe that it was roomier than it actually is. Therefore, I made this illustration (true-to-scale) to help others gauge Jimny's true size before it hits the showrooms.

Attachment 2416664
Source: Official Brochure of Respective Cars

I used the Jimny from the Japanese market as a reference for this comparison. It comes without wheel arch extensions in order to qualify for Japan's Kei car requirements. This way the true size of the Jimny and the resultant internal space can be gauged.

At 1,475 mm wide, it's even narrower than the humble Alto! No wonder Maruti Suzuki has classified it as only a four-seater!
Thanks for this comparison. As I have said earlier, it would be interesting to see the booking % converting into actual sales. If the Premier Rio was annihilated for its size, why would the Jimny be spared other than 4x4 enthusiasts
Old 9th February 2023, 20:18   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I doubt Suzuki will indulge in the sort of brand dilution M&M have subjected the "Thar".
I genuinely hope your words remain true for a long, long time. But something that bothers me is the fact that they did sell a rear wheel drive version of the 2nd. gen. Jimny in some parts of the world.

To be honest, I wish Suzuki doesn't ruin the dignity of this PROPER four wheel drive. I hope they never EVER release a 2wd version.

And now, going a bit off-topic here, I just have to say that vehicles are softening up all around us. The classic defender has gone independent in all four corners, even the mighty G Wagen lost its solid front axle a couple of years back, the Gurkha Extreme was introduced and immediately discontinued, the Thar DI is also no more. The only true blue 4wd's being sold worldwide are the Jeep Wrangler, the 70 Series variants of the Landcruiser, the Super-Safari versions of the Y61 Patrol (in the UAE atleast), a few others here and there, and then of course, the Jimny.

Maybe that IS what people want. Softer, comfier SUV's that are fast in and out of those corners. And maybe there's just a handful of people left, who love the purpose built 4wd with proper 1:4 reduction in that transfer case.
aravind422 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 22:04   #603
BHPian

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...ca/ar-AA170R6H
murlidar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 05:17   #604
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
The closest car to the Jimny in terms of external dimensions is the Premier Rio. However, the similarities end there.
Here is a pic of a Premier Rio which is presently running about in Bangalore and a pic of the 3 door Jimny too, for comparo purposes.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-f40b9d85de694ee8992ba99ff4a5af52.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-24c977ddd5694b99a0ed7741dc7ed0a9.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-484ef2f5b1bf496c8b2f4e741115853d.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 06:04   #605
BHPian

Jimny in its natural habitat.

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 10th February 2023 at 06:31.
Vulken Auto is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 11:02   #606
BHPian

Would anyone have an idea on what it would be like to own a Jimny from a maintenance stand point?

Would an average of 10k per year service bill sound right?
Also the service schedule would be 10k kms or 1 year?
Old 10th February 2023, 13:41   #607
BHPian

Jimny 5 door (without the door mounted spare wheel and the fender/ cladding on wheel arches) dimensions (width and length) are exactly matching with the Maruti Eeco van:

Maruti Suzuki Eeco dimensions 3675 mm in length, 1475 mm in width and 1825 mm in height, with a wheelbase of 2350 mm.

Since the wheelbase for Jimny is longer, there won't be any wheel well portion interfering with the driver or co-passenger's foot well space.

Hence, we can just catch hold of an Eeco, sit inside and understand how it will feel like inside the Jimny.

It's exactly 30 days from the day we booked the Jimny. Still there is no show from MSIL, disgusting hype strategy they have nowadays. Anyway, now we found a roundabout solution.

Does someone have the internal dimensions drawing of Eeco?

And considering all these similarities with Eeco, the ex-showroom cost of the Jimny should be 8-11 lakhs (Zeta MT- Alpha AT), can add 50k- 1 Lakh for the premium niche product category and the side claddings.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot_202302101335172.png  

Last edited by RijuC : 10th February 2023 at 14:04.
RijuC is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 14:28   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

Hence, we can just catch hold of an Eeco, sit inside and understand how it will feel like inside the Jimny.
Eeco by design is a very spacious car from inside and Jimny isnt. No matter how hard people try to compare different cars having similar dimensions, Jimny is strictly a 4 seater only. I had gone to Auto expo, sat in both in front and rear(I'm 6'1" and 105kgs for ref), theres hardly any space left at rear when two are seated. Maybe you can keep a bottle or tiffin in between, but thats about it, whereas in Eeco you can seat 3 easily. Heck, Eeco cab versions in rural areas dont leave for their ferry untill 2+4+4(Excluding driver) seats are full.
ynike99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 14:34   #609
BHPian

Quote:

It's exactly 30 days from the day we booked the Jimny. Still there is no show from MSIL, disgusting hype strategy they have nowadays. Anyway, now we found a roundabout solution.
It’s borderline frustrating and killing the excitement and hype for me. Such long Radio silence and no price reveal, yet we’re getting all kinds of leaks on the Fronx.

Whatever and whenever is the price reveal, will decide whenever that happens I think. Till then, I’m chilling and try to forget it even exists and contain my excitement.

These days it’s like ordering something from china. Order and forget, it’s a surprise for you one fine day when it arrives.
AjayV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 17:02   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Jimny 5 door (without the door mounted spare wheel and the fender/ cladding on wheel arches) dimensions (width and length) are exactly matching with the Maruti Eeco van:

Maruti Suzuki Eeco dimensions 3675 mm in length, 1475 mm in width and 1825 mm in height, with a wheelbase of 2350 mm.

Since the wheelbase for Jimny is longer, there won't be any wheel well portion interfering with the driver or co-passenger's foot well space.

Already done that after sitting inside the 5 door Jimny. Somehow, Jimny is not spacious even when compared to Eeco. I guess this is due to the sliding doors of Eeco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynike99 View Post
Eeco by design is a very spacious car from inside and Jimny isnt. No matter how hard people try to compare different cars having similar dimensions, Jimny is strictly a 4 seater only. I had gone to Auto expo, sat in both in front and rear(I'm 6'1" and 105kgs for ref), theres hardly any space left at rear when two are seated. Maybe you can keep a bottle or tiffin in between, but thats about it, whereas in Eeco you can seat 3 easily. Heck, Eeco cab versions in rural areas dont leave for their ferry untill 2+4+4(Excluding driver) seats are full.

Exactly! I told my friend who tagged along me that we cant even keep 1 sealed puffed chips packet in between. Jimny 5 door should have got sliding doors to solve this problem.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 10th February 2023 at 17:06.
purohitanuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 18:13   #611
BHPian

Just curious to know-
Why is Jimny with three doors referred to as 3-door Jimny, yet Jimny with five doors is often called 4-door Jimny?
Emvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 09:05   #612
BANNED

From having observed Maruti for a while, I assume they have set a sky high price and are having a mild cold feet about revealing it. I have to assume that Jimny will be priced around 15 Lakhs and will move on to better cars.

For all who are in awe of Jimny, please know that it will be a poor choice than the Bolero camper 4x4.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 10:02   #613
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
For all who are in awe of Jimny, please know that it will be a poor choice than the Bolero camper 4x4.
Bolero camper 4WD is a commercial pickup with just bare bone basic features and does not even have central locking/power windows etc. The ZX variant has basic features but lacks 4WD and has coil springs in Front.

Add to this, the camper is 4.85 m long and is ~600kgs heavier than Jimny and makes 25hp less power. It is nowhere comparable to the Jimny. Who wants to drive around in the same vehicle that the nearby provision store uses to hustle water cans and what not.

Jimny is a sensation worldwide and is an extension of the Gypsy heritage. While bolero is the cheapest, run of the mill, unrefined 4x4 in the country. Two different segments, no comparison. Even Mahindra knows this, that's why the Thar exists.
tarmacnaut is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 10:27   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
I have to assume that Jimny will be priced around 15 Lakhs and will move on to better cars.
15 Lakhs for a tiny overrated product is too much in my opinion. There are other better and spacious SUVs which are more practical than this Jimmy. I don't know what the 4x4 hype is all about - as if it can climb mountains vertically!
CarNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 11:38   #615
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtman View Post
The true size of Jimny stumps many. Most people (including myself) didn't really consider the wheel arch extensions in the Jimny when comparing its width to other cars.

I just saw the number in the brochure (1,645 mm), which led me to believe that it was roomier than it actually is. Therefore, I made this illustration (true-to-scale) to help others gauge Jimny's true size before it hits the showrooms.

Attachment 2416664
Source: Official Brochure of Respective Cars

I used the Jimny from the Japanese market as a reference for this comparison. It comes without wheel arch extensions in order to qualify for Japan's Kei car requirements. This way the true size of the Jimny and the resultant internal space can be gauged.

At 1,475 mm wide, it's even narrower than the humble Alto! No wonder Maruti Suzuki has classified it as only a four-seater!
Your comparison misses out on the wider track width in the Jimny on the left than the kei category Jimny from Japan.
Tgo is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks