Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2023, 11:50   #616
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
15 Lakhs for a tiny overrated product is too much in my opinion. There are other better and spacious SUVs which are more practical than this Jimmy. I don't know what the 4x4 hype is all about - as if it can climb mountains vertically!
I don't know why, I'm triggered by reading this.

Jimny isn't "tiny", it's longer for Indian market, it's not overrated for its capability and practicality. There's no other SUV in the market which has 5 doors and 4x4 and reliable with an extensive service network which is cheap to maintain and with such modification potential for this price range. If there's any, kindly let us know.

4x4 is not a hype, its a lifestyle and choice of hobby for a lot of people. It's a passion for a lot of people to explore the unexplored, get stuck and figure out a way to get out of there.

Anyways, for the uninitiated, Jimny is an excellent vehicle which can take one to places where normal regular cars like the Honda City can't. It's narrow and short (sub 4M) so that it's perfect for a small family to potter around the city and its small size is an advantage for the city in parking and high seating position gives a commanding view and its much safer than low slung in City.

It's not powerful and explosive which is not needed for a regular sane mileage conscious majority population and that engine is already present in other MS vehicles and they're selling very well. It shouldn't be an issue at all.

For climbing mountains vertically, it can actually do that with some modifications as per requirement.

Below are some examples from youtube, just to showcase on how capable it is in it's stock form where regular sedans and 2WD vehicles can't even imagine going:

And it's a total beast with some modifications and its cheap and easy to maintain as well.

Hence, it has a global cult following, it's one of the legendary vehicles which can punch above it's weight class, fun, cute, rugged, practical for most folks, which can't be said for most vehicles. And has over 12-18 months of waiting period in international markets. The used ones go above the on-road cost in UK/EU.

No vehicle is perfect. Jimny isn't perfect either, but there's more points in favour of it being closer to perfection.

Last edited by AjayV : 11th February 2023 at 12:03.
AjayV is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 12:28   #617
Senior - BHPian

The off white/pearl Jimny looks better than pure white
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_4260.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_4259.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 12:56   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
We absolutely need to tread lightly..... We have only a few dedicated off road tracks. I would heartily recommend that all aspiring newbie 4WD enthusiasts do an orientation first....I am not intending to be a spoil sport. This is merely a word of caution.
Offtopic
I was reminded of this post when I saw the below reel in Instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoEpy...d=NTU1Mzc3ZGM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This is the chiffon ivory colour. Desert beige/khakhish colour. I miss this colour the most in the Indian version than the green one.

Last edited by DicKy : 11th February 2023 at 13:01.
Old 11th February 2023, 17:17   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
Jimny isn't "tiny", it's longer for Indian market, it's not overrated for its capability and practicality.
It's narrower than Alto, shorter than Baleno and you say it isn't tiny? It's boot space is less than Ignis and you say it's practical?

Quote:
There's no other SUV in the market which has 5 doors and 4x4 and reliable with an extensive service network which is cheap to maintain and with such modification potential for this price range. If there's any, kindly let us know.
None of that matters if it is not value for money. There are other SUVs like the Force Gurkha 4x4 in the price range which are more vfm.

Quote:
4x4 is not a hype, its a lifestyle and choice of hobby for a lot of people. It's a passion for a lot of people to explore the unexplored, get stuck and figure out a way to get out of there.
For very few people. Most normal people don't spend thrice the amount of a regular small car just for fun. Regular people don't want to get stuck in a traffic jam let alone getting stuck in some remote place with no help at hand.

Quote:
Anyways, for the uninitiated, Jimny is an excellent vehicle which can take one to places where normal regular cars like the Honda City can't. It's narrow and short (sub 4M) so that it's perfect for a small family to potter around the city and its small size is an advantage for the city in parking and high seating position gives a commanding view and its much safer than low slung in City.
For city driving, there are many small cars with more comfort, features, space and cost less than Jimny. How is a 15 Lakh Jimny with poor ride quality advantageous? How many people go to such tough places everyday?

Quote:
For climbing mountains vertically, it can actually do that with some modifications as per requirement.
No vehicle can climb a mountain vertically.

Quote:
Below are some examples from Youtube, just to showcase on how capable it is in it's stock form where regular sedans and 2WD vehicles can't even imagine going.
And it's a total beast with some modifications and its cheap and easy to maintain as well.
It might go in such places but that alone can't be the reason to buy it over regular cars. It is only for those who want to splurge.

Quote:
Hence, it has a global cult following, it's one of the legendary vehicles which can punch above it's weight class, fun, cute, rugged, practical for most folks, which can't be said for most vehicles. And has over 12-18 months of waiting period in international markets. The used ones go above the on-road cost in UK/EU.
You can't compare Indian market to global market, it simply doesn't make any sense. Practical for most folks? It's the opposite.

Quote:
No vehicle is perfect. Jimny isn't perfect either, but there's more points in favour of it being closer to perfection.
Other than having 4x4 in a small chasis, it has nothing to offer and that makes it imperfect and impractical.
CarNerd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 17:45   #620
BHPian

It's narrower than Alto, shorter than Baleno and you say it isn't tiny? It's boot space is less than Ignis and you say it's practical?

Jimny boot space is 208 which can go upto 332. But why are we even comparing them? They're not even in the same class.

None of that matters if it is not value for money. There are other SUVs like the Force Gurkha 4x4 in the price range which are more vfm.

Not sure where you got the 15L from, MS didn't officially announce any pricing. Care to share some source? Force Gurkha takes more space than the Jimny, is not 4/5 doors, so it's difficult for the elderly to enter from the rear, has very little storage space. Heavy.
The only advantage a stock Gurkha has is it's got manually locking diffs at front and rear. Which can also be retrofitted to Jimny as aftermarket parts.

For very few people. Most normal people don't spend thrice the amount of a regular small car just for fun. Regular people don't want to get stuck in a traffic jam let alone getting stuck in some remote place with no help at hand.

Why are you comparing it with small cars again? Like I said, it's a lifestyle choice and individual hobbies. Jimny can work for a "normal" person also. May not be 100% perfect, but they can make do a real SUV without breaking a big bank.

For city driving, there are many small cars with more comfort, features, space and cost less than Jimny. How is a 15 Lakh Jimny with poor ride quality advantageous? How many people go to such tough places everyday?

Again, why is there a comparison of the Jimny with a small entry level hatch? also, poor ride quality at 15 Lakhs? Please provide sources for that pricing as it's not officially revealed.

No vehicle can climb a mountain vertically.

Since you asked, thou shall receive:

It might go in such places but that alone can't be the reason to buy it over regular cars. It is only for those who want to splurge.

It is for a lot of people. Thars are 4X4 but are those people driving it on offroads? most of them are using it for commute. I need a vehicle for my family. We almost booked the Honda City. I got problems with my knee and ankle with low vehicles so I prefer SUVs. Family wants a small vehicle which is practical. But I love offroading and exploring so I need a 4X4. They didn't like the Thar (even Gurkha) as getting to the rear seats is not easy like the Jimny. This seemed like the perfect balance between adventure and practicality without breaking bank nor having 2 cars in the house (I have space for 6 cars BTW but doesn't mean anything). Also mileage (Thar doesn't offer that) and niggle free ownership which is cheap to maintain and I don't have to worry or hunt for a service center (Gurkha has limited service centers).

You can't compare Indian market to global market, it simply doesn't make any sense. Practical for most folks? It's the opposite.

I'm not comparing markets, I'm saying it's a global product. But since you said it, here's a comparison:

India (6+ Months est. ): https://www.timesnownews.com/auto/ca...ticle-97116948

Australia (6 to 8 months): https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...or-popular-4x4

Other than having 4x4 in a small chasis, it has nothing to offer and that makes it imperfect and impractical.

It's got way more to offer, some are:

- a high seating position which lets you see further ahead than low slingers
- narrower, short wheelbase and sub 4m, easy to park/maneuver in city
- the rear boot is low enough for loading/unloading easier
- better mileage and service centers than say Mahindra/Force Motors
- engine is shared with other maruti suzuki vehicles, so spares availability won't be a problem
- aftermarket options and upgrades for enthusiasts.

Last edited by AjayV : 11th February 2023 at 17:48.
AjayV is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 18:04   #621
BHPian

Quote:

<snip>

All your arguments are 100% valid, but again, that is your point of view. Maybe many others think the same way you do.

But we need to understand that Jimny is a niche product, and these products are called niche for a reason. They do not satisfy the general need of all people. They are not designed to please everyone. There is a niche segment of customers who have been longing for such a product, and are willing to overlook the shortcomings in favour of its strengths. It is meant for them.

I just hope that the pricing is sensible, so that people who actually want a affordable off-roader can buy it this time. But if the pricing is atrocious, then all this goes down the drain.
BhaskarG is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 18:28   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
That is exclusive model in Japan know as just "Jimny" and its a kei cateory car. In India, and rest of the world, gets the "Jimny Sierra"/"Jimny" with the fenders installed.

Fun fact, Jimny did came in 2wd version known as Suzuki Jimny 1.3 2WD JX.
Attachment 2416560

So we for sure could see a 5 door 2WD version here as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind422 View Post
No, that is the 3rd gen. Jimmy.
The present model is the 4th generation.

But we can't say that Suzuki will not release a 2wd version of this one. Mahindra just did that to the Thar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I doubt Suzuki will indulge in the sort of brand dilution M&M have subjected the "Thar". Market Share isn't everything. Renault-Nissan if you are reading this, kindly ignore.

The Gypsy and now the Jimny represent the spirit of affordable adventure. A plucky little Terrier racing through the fields, the undergrowth tickling its belly! Without four legs, or wheels in this case, the script would read quite differently.

M&M doesn't care that they sell 1000 neutered Thar for every fully endowed version. I have a feeling Suzuki does. God knows they sell enough of everything else they make to not have to listen to the pen pushers from accounting.

The gypsys/samurais were available in 2WD in the united states of america and indonesia

wacso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 21:09   #623
BHPian

How bad are stock Jimny tyres for a once in a while occasional simple off roading? Will it be ok with stock tyres with a simple tyre pressure reduction to get by on really bad rough snow roads encountered in North India without actually venturing off road?
Old 11th February 2023, 23:01   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidar View Post
How bad are stock Jimny tyres for a once in a while occasional simple off roading? Will it be ok with stock tyres with a simple tyre pressure reduction to get by on really bad rough snow roads encountered in North India without actually venturing off road?
Not too sure, but I think those are highway tyres from Bridgestone. They might not be that good in the rough. Anyway, you said really rough snow roads right? In that case you should be better off with a pair snow chains on the front tyres.
aravind422 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 23:57   #625
BHPian

Quote:
You are absolutely correct about everything you said but buying a Jimny is a matter of heart.
Going by your logic even a Thar is impractical, it’s like an elephant which can only seat 4 and no space for luggage. Yet Thar is selling like hotcakes mainly because it talk to the buyers heart and when that happens all logic goes out of the window.
As far as pricing is concerned history in India has not been kind to over priced Marutis and I hope Maruti keeps that in mind. Heart can only take you so far!!
Zanskar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 08:54   #626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Absolutely. This is the color I wanted to get. But alas I had to book the Pure White instead. I wish the Pure White came with a dual tone Black Roof. That would have made it look much better. My first order of business after getting the Jimny would be to paint the roof black.
inmotioninc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 08:57   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Just curious to know-
Why is Jimny with three doors referred to as 3-door Jimny, yet Jimny with five doors is often called 4-door Jimny?
You aren't the only person whose had this doubt.

In fact, the MSIL engineers refer to it as the Jimny 5-Door and not "4 Door".

I think that, for an average person, calling it a 5 door would confuse them a little bit. In fact, when I was talking with two non-car enthusiast's, they ended up pointing out to me that they could only see 4 doors on the side and wanted to know where the hidden 5th door is.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 09:22   #628
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
they ended up pointing out to me that they could only see 4 doors on the side and wanted to know where the hidden 5th door is.
Haha! OT;
This is close to what happened to me at a traffic light one day when I was driving my Cooper.
The chaps wanted to know how I had deleted two doors on my ‘Swift’. I sat and explained to them.
And two of the petrol pump boys who fill Nitrogen saw the black roof and asked if it could be fully opened. I said sadly no because my car doesnt have a sunroof.
But they are nice good natured friendly young fellows so I took them for a short joy ride nearabouts and back. Hope I was able to bring a little smile into their lives.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 15:55   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
Jimny boot space is 208 which can go upto 332. But why are we even comparing them? They're not even in the same class.
Because you said it was practical. I showed you it isn't by comparing it to a hatchback like Ignis which has 500+ litres of boot space seats folded.

Quote:
Not sure where you got the 15L from, MS didn't officially announce any pricing. Care to share some source?
My opinion is based on the estimated price of 15 lakhs.

Quote:
Force Gurkha takes more space than the Jimny, is not 4/5 doors, so it's difficult for the elderly to enter from the rear, has very little storage space. Heavy.
How is more space a disadvantage? Infact having a bigger vehicle is a plus point in India. How many elderly people go off-roading sitting behind? The Gurkha is longer, wider with more headroom, legroom than the Jimmy. It has captain seats for all and a boot space of 500 litres which is almost 2.5 times more than Jimmy.

Quote:
The only advantage a stock Gurkha has is it's got manually locking diffs at front and rear. Which can also be retrofitted to Jimny as aftermarket parts.
That would involve spending more and voiding warranty.

Quote:
Why are you comparing it with small cars again? Like I said, it's a lifestyle choice and individual hobbies. Jimny can work for a "normal" person also. May not be 100% perfect, but they can make do a real SUV without breaking a big bank.
Because it is small. It won't work for a normal person as it's uncomfortable for a family. The Jimny is not a real SUV, it's a hatchback with 4x4.

Quote:
Again, why is there a comparison of the Jimny with a small entry level hatch? also, poor ride quality at 15 Lakhs? Please provide sources for that pricing as it's not officially revealed.
Because you said it is perfect for a small family to go around the city as it's small. Please read reviews of Jimny to know about its ride quality.

Quote:
Since you asked, thou shall receive:
That's not a mountain but a red rock located at Sand Hollow State Park in Utah, USA. Can you share some videos of any vehicle starting from the base of a 1000 feet mountain and going all the way to the top?

Quote:
It is for a lot of people. Thars are 4X4 but are those people driving it on offroads? most of them are using it for commute.
That is exactly my point. Most people buy the Thar for its road presence than going off-road using 4x4, same is the case with Fortuner. People want to be seen in butch vehicles. The Jimny looks like a joke in front of them.

Quote:
I need a vehicle for my family.
You are free to buy anything you want.

Quote:
I'm not comparing markets, I'm saying it's a global product. But since you said it, here's a comparison:
Pre - sales hype is different from long term sales success. We can only wait and watch.

Quote:
It's got way more to offer, some are:
As I said earlier, none of that matters if it's not value for money. Price plays an important role in the Indian market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarG View Post
All your arguments are 100% valid, but again, that is your point of view. Maybe many others think the same way you do.
You are right. It is my point of view just like others have their point of view.

Quote:
But we need to understand that Jimny is a niche product, and these products are called niche for a reason.
What we need to understand is that niche products usually don't work in a country like India.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 16:36   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Because it is small. It won't work for a normal person as it's uncomfortable for a family. The Jimny is not a real SUV, it's a hatchback with 4x4.
Of course the jimny is not a SUV, It got rigid axles, body on frame, low range Transfer case........ That's called "offroader"

The Swift is a Hatchback With 4wd versions in some markets and i didn't see Many common things between a Swift and a Jimny, apart from the "S" logo in the front
wacso is offline   (18) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed