Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2023, 15:27   #61

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Finally, an exciting product from Maruti.

Sincerely wish the Jimny finds its niche and succeeds.

While not drool worthy as the Thar, the Jimny looks good and could be the most fun toy you can buy today. It is likely to be more sorted out too – reliability and modification potential wise, making it more endearing.

Along with the 3 door and the upcoming 5 door Thar, the Jimny is possibly the last of the affordable ICE vehicles with CHARACTER worth owning, as we transition to EV’s.

Query for the experienced off-roaders on the forum – given the engine gearbox combination, even with 4L engaged, will gear ratio be low enough to enable crawling, or will momentum be required to get you through the tough bits. Am in my mid forties, and this query is on behalf of my ailing back.

Mahindra – if you are reading – for the 5 door Thar, please have sleep-able seats. Many amateur adventurers would just prefer to sleep in the car, than in a tent at night, if possible.
Sober_Motorhead is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 16:26   #62

Jimny will undoubtedly be a huge hit with both urban and rural audiences. Suzuki has a solid fan base because of its reputation for dependability. Used gypsy cars continue to be in high demand. I am in love with Jimny's Kinetic Yellow color. I am pleased that there will soon be more off-roading groups, as I will be able to join them in exploring my Thar.
Old 13th January 2023, 16:51   #63
BHPian

Autocar has published variants details as well:

Interesting, all variants comes with AT and 6 airbags, BLSD and ESP.

In addition, the top variant to have Arkamys music system with 9 inch TS, Cruise Control, Keyless start and Auto headlights.

Click here

My gut feel is that the one model and multiple variants to attack both 2 door and 5 door Thars from Maruti. People who are not comfortable with Thar's 2 door, size and rowdy design will opt for Maruti's which is subtle to some extent, practicality of 5 door and reliability and service network of Maruti. Finally, many can have just one car for multiple purposes.

Last edited by sgmuser : 13th January 2023 at 16:53.
sgmuser is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 17:16   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I never thought I would say this, but I quite like it in the 5 door disguise.... except for that power plant!
Totally agree. Setting aside the dated power train, an excellent product. But, I suppose, as Indian automobile enthusiasts, we have learned the old adage "Beggars can't be choosers".

Having driven the 2021 Urban Cruiser with the same K15B/4-Speed TC/AT combo, I can tell you that this is not a fun car to drive. So, just keep it in 4L and enjoy it.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 17:17   #65
BHPian

Is it possible to check out the Jimny interiors (sitting position and legroom) at the ongoing autoexpo?

If anyone have got the chance, any feedback? How is this with respect to a Swift (older model, latest Swift has more space)?

Whether it will be comfortable for 600 km/ day on highways with 2-3 breaks?
Old 13th January 2023, 17:33   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

The clash of the off roaders, in specs.

Jimny would draw a lot of bookings and its conversion rate (read as more bookings) will depend on the pricing.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-capture.jpg

Only question to be asked is, will Maruti pause its bookings as the response seem to be overwhelming?

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-1.jpg
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-2.jpg
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-3.jpg
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-4.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th January 2023 at 17:44.
volkman10 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 17:56   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
I also believe that the steering will be a big deal-braker, and it isn't fixable. People who haven't driven a vehicle with a similar set up, will be put off by how imprecise it is going to be.
Naah, I don't think so.

- Mainstream Marutis have long suffered (surprisingly!!) from a non-centering steering wheel. My thread on the topic (Why the heck will Maruti-Suzuki not fix its defective & dangerous steering behaviour?). No difference to sales or success.

- I have realised that most people don't care about all these things. After all, research has time and again proven that cars sell on 3 factors = price + brand + looks. As an example, if buyers actually cared about comfort, the bumpy Fortuner would've been a flop (it outsells all competitors combined!).

- Believe it or not, 50% of the so-called "professional car reviewers" I meet cannot gauge a suspension properly. Forget the aam junta. As an example, go look at the original Ford EcoSport reviews. Vid6639 & me were like the only ones to call the EcoSport's suspension out as stiff & bad on broken roads. Everyone else was raving about the ride quality!

The mainstream non-enthusiast customer isn't really knowledgeable enough to take a call based on "steering feel", suspension, low-end torque, AT behaviour etc. It's like asking me to buy an apartment based on the quality of foundation / pillars / walls (no knowledge). I'll only go by the builder's reputation, price & location. In the car world, it's all about brand + design + price. The Jimny has got it right on the first 2 factors & I got a hunch that Maruti will place a VFM tag on this 4x4. If Maruti overprices, it never sells (S-Cross 1.6, Baleno 1.0 Turbo, original Grand Vitara, 1st-gen Baleno sedan, Maruti Versa...); if Maruti prices it in a VFM way, the sky is the limit.

Last edited by GTO : 13th January 2023 at 18:06.
GTO is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 18:15   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton Ami View Post
It is surprising that Maruti hasn't offered AT tyres. Is the AWD intended only to drive through the potholes? I would have also preferred side foot steps for looks, convenience and side body protection.

Lets be honest, this vehicle is much more capable than what an average off-roader/ mountain driving enthusiast will ever require, and will give minimal stress due to Maruti service network and cheaper spares.

Also, the small footprint is actually something I personally (and maybe many others in this forum) prefer due to cramped city parking spaces and challenging maneuvering in city traffic.
Suzuki has been mounting bridgestone dueler H/T in jimnys and samurai/SJ since the 80's and the cars evolved around obstacles With them and competing With bigger and more powerful Cars With them, and they succeded, try the car first, or just, see some videos of stock jimnys, sure you Will be surprised
wacso is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 18:36   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Is it possible to check out the Jimny interiors (sitting position and legroom) at the ongoing autoexpo?

If anyone have got the chance, any feedback? How is this with respect to a Swift (older model, latest Swift has more space)?
There are quite a few videos on YouTube now -

Our (my brother's actually) first car was a Swift. I believe this looks quite similar in terms of interior look, feel and interior space.

If I was younger and looking to buy a first car, this would definitely be on top of my list. Now that I am older and have a couple of Maruti-Suzuki myself, this is still on my list as a third car (Jimny is still quite exciting !).
nishsingh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 19:06   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's Jimny will be on the roads in April '23.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-capture.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th January 2023 at 19:32.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 19:54   #71
BHPian

Boot space mentioned in the brochure looks very confusing.
208L
332L (rear seat folded)

Only 124L increase with rear seats in folded position looks very unrealistic. Typo?
LokiPilaniya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 20:20   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPilaniya View Post
Boot space mentioned in the brochure looks very confusing.
208L
332L (rear seat folded)

Only 124L increase with rear seats in folded position looks very unrealistic. Typo?
Its a typo since the short wheel base 3 door jimny has a boot space of 377L when folded. So the 5 door model with 340mm extra wheel base should have quite lot more boot space.
aim120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 20:33   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
The emission norms issue you point out seems to have indeed been true in the UK, but it continued to sell quite well in the rest of Europe, apparently, but the numbers in Sweden have been very disappointing. Only 84 units have been sold since Jan 2020. In contrast, the 100 numbers of the Torakku slated for Sweden have been fully booked even before they even made it to Sweden!
Source: (in Swedish) https://www.mestmotor.se/automotorsp...venska-priset/

Check my response to DicKy above. The ban indeed was applied in the UK but it continued selling in the rest of Europe. It just didn't sell well in Sweden. Likely due to how high the climate taxes are, on a vehicle with such high emission levels.
The ban due to emission was for entire EU, multiple youtube videos from owners of Jimny LHD commerical version (UK is RHD) confirm this. Also Suzuki had only allotted sweden with only 100 Jimny, after which only the commercial version was for sale. You can't even fold the seats all the way down in the commercial version for camping.

Even to import a Jimny passenger version into EU, one has to pat hefty fines and the taxes for commerical version is higher making it more expensive.
Old 13th January 2023, 20:36   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

BHPian Bunny Punia's video on the Jimny space and practicality.

DicKy is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 20:49   #75
BHPian

Came across this interesting video from Matt Watson. The mighty AMG G actually provides an impressive benchmark against which this machine can be evaluated.

Must admit I have become an overnight fan of Jimny. Won't be surprised if it goes on to be the T-BHP COTY 2023.
Regards
Kuldeep31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks