Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2023, 14:09   #931
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshrcp View Post

Eager to know everyone's opinion. I'm so curious about Blueish Black as this is the color which I booked for myself.
Ever since the first glance of this video even I feel this one spotted in Shimla is Nexa Blue and not the Bluish Black. IMO lighter shades make the car look even more smaller. No saying that is a good/bad thing.

Whenever I am convinced with Home to Hill driveability of Jimny I would prefer Bluish Black with UV cut glasses.
Old 22nd March 2023, 14:21   #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
However, you can pull the front row seats to extreme forward position (note there is a play and it doesn't get locked there); recline the backrest to 180 degree (remove the headrests) and your bed is ready.
Thank you for the detailed response Riju. But frankly that sleeping position looks mighty uncomfortable. As I mentioned in my original post, I am interested in making a sleeping area behind the front seats. So I was interested in knowing how far the front seats can move forward and recline forward (I don't need them to fold flat), to provide a comfortable space for a 6ft person.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230322-2.11.16-pm.png

For reference, this is my sleeping setup in the EcoSport. The front seat doesn't recline forward a lot but it reclines enough to give me a comfortable sleeping area. The full video of my car camping setup is below.

inmotioninc is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 15:08   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshrcp View Post
Eager to know everyone's opinion. I'm so curious about Blueish Black as this is the color which I booked for myself.
Agree ! I went to see the Jimny today. The specimen was in Kinetic Yellow with bluish black coloured roof. It looked black from all angles, and even under torch light. So, I believe the bluish black will show only a slight tinge of blue only under sun light. The one spotted in Shimla is definitely a nexa blue. Even the shade card with Nexa blue looked deep bluish, matching the one recorded.

I am 5'8" and the vehicle can seat 4 comfortably with ample spece to free one's arms and legs. Plenty of head room also.

The vehicle looks even better in flesh. The photos and videos tend to skew at the edges due to wide angle lens and produces an illusion of slightly stretched vehicle. In reality, the 5 door looks very proportionate.

And to those who have sat/driven a gypsy, the cabin space in Jimny is slightly more than a gypsy, 6 cm to be precise.
It width of Jimny cabin if measured from base of window glass is 136 cm whereas it is 126 cm for Gypsy.

If measured from the door panels where it is thickest, its 126 cm for Jimny, whereas 120 cm for Gypsy.
However, when seated inside, it somehow felt smaller than the Gypsy.

The rear bench width is 112 cm.
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-rear-bench.jpeg

Will share the dimensions of the boot later.
mpant05 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 19:06   #934
BHPian

I just measured the rear bench width of our Alto K10 and it is ~110cm. We all know how comfortable(or uncomfortable) the rear seat of the Alto can be, even for three average-sized adults. However, the manufacturer still classifies it as a 5-seater. Given this, I find it puzzling that Maruti has voluntarily classified the Jimny as a 4-seater. IMO, adding an extra seatbelt in the middle of the second row wouldn't have hurt Jimny's prospects in any way.

Since several parameters of the technical specifications are "are under homologation testing and subject to variation"(as per official Jimny website), is it reasonable to expect some changes in the production model? Only time will tell.

Last edited by Emvi : 22nd March 2023 at 19:10.
Emvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 19:54   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpant05 View Post
And to those who have sat/driven a gypsy, the cabin space in Jimny is slightly more than a gypsy, 6 cm to be precise.
It width of Jimny cabin if measured from base of window glass is 136 cm whereas it is 126 cm for Gypsy.

If measured from the door panels where it is thickest, its 126 cm for Jimny, whereas 120 cm for Gypsy.
However, when seated inside, it somehow felt smaller than the Gypsy.
Thats probably because Jimny is more loaded than Gypsy, which was completely bare-bones. All comes down to perception.
Old 22nd March 2023, 20:56   #936
BHPian

We will still keep knocking our right elbows on the door while turning the wheel ! And those who keep saying on YouTube that headroom is 'enough' or 'good' will realize how good while on potholed roads or off-road.

I fail to understand SUZUKI's compulsion in producing tiny toy cars only -- the EECO must be their biggest? They could have easily made Jimny slightly bigger, say the size of a Mahindra Bolero (itself quite small). It could have been a proper five seater in town, and able to carry a lot of camping gear overland, with two jump seats at the back which could be folded up when not needed.

After all, they are selling it internationally, even to population with healthy height and girth, Australia for example.

And the HUMVEE-like boxy shape really does not suit such a tiny vehicle. I would have preferred the 3rd generation model , slightly more rounded in the corners.
Hell, even the Gypsy looks more sleek, at least from the front. And that outlandish whip antenna at right back corner which may be ripped off by low branches , looks so UGH !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 22:18   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
I fail to understand SUZUKI's compulsion in producing tiny toy cars only
Well, the Jimny is indeed a toy, a toy that brings out the child in us Therein also lies its inherent advantage as an off-roader - lightweight, small footprint, agile, etc. Want a butch SUV? Look elsewhere!
cool_dube is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 03:50   #938
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile, I was walking past this beauty this morning at Melbourne. Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-97420cb8b4904432912dacfffb2742be.jpeg
jkrishnakj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 09:27   #939

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalyan_ice View Post
I re-read what I'd put up and figured I'd missed certain bits. So, here goes.

• I don't recall seeing any DRLs. Don't think there will be OEM options for all time running fog lamps. But I sure hope so!
When I read this, I wondered aren't DRLs mandatory in India? But it turns out it isn't the case. But it is a norm for new cars to be loaded with DRLs now a days. It may come as an accessory or one can switch on the fog lamps to DRLs
Anikethan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:52   #940

Jimny display car available on 25 march and 26 march at My car- Nexa, Palm Beach Road, Satra Plaza, Navi Mumbai

As per mssg recieved from sales representative this morning.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd March 2023 at 12:08. Reason: No more than 2 smileys. Thanks.
balmagbrezjim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:24   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalyan_ice View Post
• I don't recall seeing any DRLs. Don't think there will be OEM options for all time running fog lamps. But I sure hope so!
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot_202303231511572.png

The DRL is inside the headlight at the bottom. Seems to be a single LED system
Old 23rd March 2023, 19:35   #942
BHPian

Drive experience and turning radius discussed in this video.
Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 19:56   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Well, the Jimny is indeed a toy, a toy that brings out the child in us Therein also lies its inherent advantage as an off-roader - lightweight, small footprint, agile, etc. Want a butch SUV? Look elsewhere!
Well, is there nothing between TOY and BUTCH - a regular, standard, normal sized vehicle ? Remember, I mentioned BOLERO, which barely accommodates three on the second row. Even Tata Safari cannot be called a 'butch' SUV, neither can THAR. In India, maybe ISUZU V-cross and TOYOTA Hilux are the only international-sized 4WDs.

The trouble with toys is that you outgrow them very quickly! And then they are discarded.:
Old 23rd March 2023, 20:11   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Well, is there nothing between TOY and BUTCH - a regular, standard, normal sized vehicle ? Remember, I mentioned BOLERO, which barely accommodates three on the second row. Even Tata Safari cannot be called a 'butch' SUV, neither can THAR. In India, maybe ISUZU V-cross and TOYOTA Hilux are the only international-sized 4WDs.

The trouble with toys is that you outgrow them very quickly! And then they are discarded.:
Usually I refrain, but dear sir you took one giant leap by mentioning Bolero, Safari, Thar, V cross and Hilux in one sentence in a thread discussing about Jimny.

Also in the earlier post you said Bolero is itself small. What are we comparing it with sir?

What exactly you intend to convey in both the posts sir?

Is it about the Size of the vehicle or people carrying capacity or Load carrying capacity of the respective vehicles you quoted with reference to Jimny?

Please don't get offended sir.
Its a polite question.

Oh and by the way this is one toy which we enthusiasts have been waiting for a long time.

And for few of us, some toy is better than no toy at all.

Regards.

Last edited by matchvan : 23rd March 2023 at 20:20. Reason: Added a phrase.
matchvan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 20:35   #945
BHPian

Quote:

I was wanting to wait for the thar 5door, but I have shifted to Kolkata, the roads are dingy, narrow and appalling. And there is no better car than the Jimny. It seems like a do it all car albeit a little uncomfortable. But then you don’t get everything even on a 911 right? I see from your handle where you stay probably is an even worse a place to drive an international size suv. So for sure, I would outgrow a big SUV here just because it defeats the use case on a daily basis. And that is where this toy car comes in. I am very sure, there are others like me.
And besides this whole road presence equalling size is pure BS. It is just feeding that false sense of ego.
jackofsome is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed