Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2023, 15:24   #976
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Potential rust around the rear washer nozzle.. photo from Bangalore launch of the vehicle
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-4f6dd16ecc2b4df3ac2ab6b7204ee10b.jpeg  

vinair is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 17:55   #977

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmagbrezjim View Post
Visited the Nexa Showroom yesterday in Navi Mumbai. Few observations to share with you guys :
To add to the above observations, a rhetoric one :

Thar to me is like an energy drink (RED BULL) where as Jimny is a fresh lime soda (sugary and salty)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th March 2023 at 20:01. Reason: Trimming quoted post; a long quoted post is a major inconvenience to small screen users. Thanks.
balmagbrezjim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 19:36   #978
BHPian

Rear defogger wire concealer is available on Amazon. Quite pricey though!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-2f7e1324ebbb402d9f1aae8c4869eacf.jpeg  

vinair is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 20:21   #979
BHPian

Just checked out the Jimny at the Nexa Showroom in Vashi (Navi Mumbai). And here are a few observations. For context I'm 6 feet tall and quite heavily built.

-The showroom wasn't crowded at all. The sales reps didn't bother approaching us and I was actually grateful for this since the average BHPian probably knows more about the Jimny than they do.

-The kinetic yellow colour looks beautiful. In the pictures and official brochures it looked kind of greenish but in real life it looks yellowish like the international 3 door model. This is one thing that was worrying me but now my worries are put to rest.

-The sheet metal and build is distinctly un-Maruti like and feels solid. The Grand Vitara parked next to it felt tinny in comparison. Hope MS retains this and doesn't reserve it for the export versions like it usually does.

-The interiors are nothing to write home about with regards to design. But everything felt well put together and solid. Hopefully won't suffer from the MS rattles. Steering wheel felt nice to hold.

-The car is extremely narrow, and width wise it makes the Honda Brio's rear bench feel massive in comparison. But in every other dimension it is spacious and two six footers shouldn't have any issues fitting in the rear seat. STRICTLY a 4 seater. If you're looking to seat 5 then look elsewhere.

-Boot space I felt was pretty decent for a car of its size.

-Getting in and out of the car is easy due to the seat height. The grab rail (on the front passenger side) is perfect to hold on to while getting in and out especially helpful for elderly parents.

-The seat sponge is too soft. Like the cheap sponge the roadside seat makers use. Long term comfort and durability is suspect.

-Underthigh support for the rear seats isn't as bad as I thought it would be judging from the reviews.

-The footwell and pedals (in the AT) version are alright and I didn't have any issues with my 10.5 size shoes.

-On the driver side my left knee did touch the centre console when my foot was resting on the dead pedal but it wasn't uncomfortable since the AC controls and surrounding plastic are rounded.

-On the passenger side the flat dashboard ensures your knees don't touch like in many modern cars and I really liked it.

-The wheels dont look small up close. But take a few steps back and the size mismatch becomes apparent. A tyre upsize will be the first upgrade when i get the car.

-Next on the list of upgrades will be covers for the exposed rear defogger wiring, extra storage cubbies near the gear shifter and a nice mobile holder with wireless charging.

Overall no major deal breakers for me and hopefully MS prices it sensibly. Will continue holding on to my booking for now.
medicineman1987 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 20:41   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Potential rust around the rear washer nozzle.. photo from Bangalore launch of the vehicle
That didn't take long!
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 22:12   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacso View Post
@snakemanjohny

I think I can understand what you want, you will like to have a 90's Suzuki Vitara/escudo/sidekick 5 door, that is 5 seater, and could fit in your requirements With the 2.0 HDI or V6 engines
Thank you wacso, you are right. Something like the old Grand Vitara would be perfect, even with a 4 cylinder engine.

While bringing out a handful of hatchbacks every year, MSL has really been neglecting this segment. For example, if they had brought out a four/five door model long ago, Gypsy would have sold more as a passenger car in places with bad roads. It was not difficult, too. many body workshops were cutting up the sides and adding doors, more so when the Gypsy was also available as a pickup (did you know that ?)

But MSL were satisfied with sales to the defence forces, police and forest departments, and the few rallyists who did not need four doors.

Imagine, the first 1000cc Gypsy churned out 45 bhp, five more than the 800 ! Next was the 1300cc carb model with 65, and the MPFI with 80 bhp. But the last engine seems less peppy than the first Sunbeam engine -- with aftermarket AC you are tempted to run along and push the car uphill even on a city flyover. I had to fit a K&N filter to lessen the effect somewhat.

But coming back to the new Jimny, they could have shortened the wheelbase somewhat if they could improve the turning circle that way, though reducing the departure angle.
I am tired of making a three-point turn, stopping others, where the SUMO in front just took a U turn. And it seems I shall be doing the same with a new & improved model !

I also read now that the seats are thin -- so you have to add foam to the cushions for comfort. But then you shall have to cut turrets in the roof to stick your had out so that it does not go 'bump' on rough roads !

I am stunned that you found more space in the Jimny than a Wrangler -- 'apke muh mein ghee-shakkar' -- all is not lost then !

Dear SUVolens, thanks for understanding my disappointment. When all other Japanese makers have separate international models, I cannot figure out why Suzuki pushes Kei cars down our throat. It would be fine if they had a number of 4WDs -- some Kei, and some larger, but that is not so.

And for the love of Mike, how do the Aussies fit into the 3-door ? Not only that, they even modify it to be a full camper, like they did with Toyota 4Runner or Hilux. Really nuts down under !

About Ladakh, I was being too sarcastic, I admit. My disappointment with MSL, plus everyone going ga ga over an ugly boxy minicar with so little space inside, was driving me around the bends.

Thanks for the suggestion of Grand Vitara/Hyryder, but I generally avoid vehicles with too much electronics, specially a hybrid. I like simple shift by lever 4WDs, and I do most small jobs on my Jonga, Gypsy and 43 year old Yezdi myself, going to a mechanic/service station only if the job is too heavy, or I lack the skills. Why do you think I am stuck with Gypsy after Gypsy, ugly little underpowered tin cans that turn like an ocean liner ?
Howrah roads (lack of ) do not matter much -- I live about a km away from the bridge to Calcutta, and similar distance from NH 117. Hardly drive within the "Coolie Town" as the British used to call it !

Wish the Force Gurkha 5 door comes before I kick the bucket ! I think I shall go and buy the only BUTCH Indian 4WD !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 02:09   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Thank you wacso, you are right. Something like the old Grand Vitara would be perfect, even with a 4 cylinder engine.

I am stunned that you found more space in the Jimny than a Wrangler -- 'apke muh mein ghee-shakkar' -- all is not lost then !
Take these pics as proof (have in mind this is a European dealership)

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-20181207_193330.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-20181207_192825.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-20181207_191735.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-20181207_192622.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-20181207_191924.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-20181207_192559.jpg

As I said before, my thoughts and feelings, you got a bit more (not much) space in the Japanese, than the American.

About versions and engines of Gypsy Samurai, we also got the 80hp in Europe (Samurai with Jimny mk3 engine), we also got turbodiesel Peugeot 63hp (1999-2001) and diesel N/A Renault 64hp (2001-2003).

And we also got Samurai pick up:

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-suzukisamuraipickup729x48601ea72b0327f48f5.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-suzukisamuraipickup729x486150837128932dba0.jpg

And a very rare 6 seater

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-204db9a77d1e4d45d096214d45d090-1.jpg

Also, as a curiosity, in Indonesia was available a 5 door samurai/gypsy With the 1.0 45hp engine and only rear wheel Drive.

Now, coming back to Jimny:

About the turning radius, think for a moment the Sumo was designed as it is, plus, the Sumo got independent front suspension, which allows better turning angle, solid axles can't turn so much.

Make the 5 door Jimny wheelbase shorter, will make the rear passenger to rest their feet on the wheel arches, or maybe not have so much space for passengers, so It not will be comfortable for the people, and make a new steering system, just for them It will make the car more expensive, as a 7.5 metre Iveco daily driver, I didn't see a problem to do 3 point turns

About the departure angle, they keep the good angles from the 3 doors, they didn't stretch it like the Samurai/Gypsy, so it's the same.

About the comfort of the seats, I know some people with the 3 doors, and they are quite happy with them, none of them hit the roof with the head on speed bumps, here all I can say is, if you got the chance, sit in the car and try it.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th March 2023 at 10:21. Reason: Post formatting
wacso is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 13:06   #983
BHPian

The Jimny showroom viewing dates are shown in the Nexa website

Below is the screen-shot:
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimnyshowroomdates2023.png
bobbyblr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 14:42   #984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post

Below is the screen-shot:
Attachment 2433762
Strange, they aren't displaying the Jimny in Pune?
Old 27th March 2023, 16:52   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at this schedule of same Jimny moving around in different showrooms and no price announcement after so many weeks, I feel there are not many cars manufactured yet. MS hurried into starting the booking of Jimny & Fronx at AutoExpo but they were not ready. They would have already planned for the launch in April-May but due to some reason (may be Thar RWD), they started the bookings at Auto-Expo but are still holding up the price announcement.

Last edited by Knightrider : 27th March 2023 at 17:09.
Knightrider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 17:55   #986
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Seeing quite a few 3 door Jimnys in Sydney, Australia. It seems a pretty popular thing here. User segment is also highly democratised. Quite a few ladies and young persons driving it and they seem pleased. And clearly it is put to use as a utility vehicle. The park rangers, for example, use it. So it will most certainly be sufficient for us normal persons in terms of capability etc. From what Im hearing many people are keenly awaiting the 5 door vehicle here.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-da4f118101fa4fa0be5d74f8244e66d4.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-f2e8eb7705ee47f182fc31db8f63aee5.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-70c4f7e80a2c4683ad079be2e68793ef.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-de0ae07e64cc4fb79bd30f8a28748649.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-7d1223cee78e471bb06c80004c8c7d47.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-5e065da504d344d4aabe6133d130744e.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-e82ed00dcb9c4784bc11f7584f4dd4d5.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 18:03   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Seeing quite a few 3 door Jimnys in Sydney, Australia. It seems a pretty popular thing here. User segment is also highly democratised.
If you are in Australia, can you please rent one from car rentals or take a TD from showroom?
Old 27th March 2023, 19:05   #988
BHPian

Quote:

Below is
[]
And anyone has any idea when can we see this in Kolkata? Can hardly wait any longer.
Old 27th March 2023, 20:50   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacso View Post
About the turning radius, think for a moment the Sumo was designed as it is, plus, the Sumo got independent front suspension, which allows better turning angle, solid axles can't turn so much.

Make the 5 door Jimny wheelbase shorter, will make the rear passenger to rest their feet on the wheel arches, or maybe not have so much space for passengers, so It not will be comfortable for the people, and make a new steering system, just for them It will make the car more expensive, as a 7.5 metre Iveco daily driver, I didn't see a problem to do 3 point turns

About the departure angle, they keep the good angles from the 3 doors, they didn't stretch it like the Samurai/Gypsy, so it's the same.

About the comfort of the seats, I know some people with the 3 doors, and they are quite happy with them, none of them hit the roof with the head on speed bumps, here all I can say is, if you got the chance, sit in the car and try it.
Thanks again, but I beg to differ on some points :

Old Willys was very small, but Nissan Jonga and One Tonner are solid axle vehicles with fantastic turning. Even Gypsy used to turn better when it went to USA as Samurai, and some jealous rivals broadcast on video that it would turn turtle on sharp curves at speed, and so they increased the turn diameter and introduced the wide track. In India you could take the old Ambassador, and the FIAT/Premier Padmini, both independent front cars. Ambassador was suited to small twisty lanes and sharp curves, while FIAT, though smaller and narrower, turned like a whale !

Try taking a 3 point turn at a cut in a busy city road, stopping all oncoming traffic, and you might get abuses from other not-so-patient motorists, and even a fine from the cops.

Gypsy has a shorter wheelbase, like most cars the rear mudguards come under the seats partially. Rear pssengers with feet on wheel arches ? That would be a terribly short wheelbase, and even if the car turned, the tail would swing out and hit something ! The only benefit as I see it, of Jimny with rear axle so far back, is that you wont have to crawl under to fit a jack in case you need to attend to a puncture, as with the Gypsy.

About the seats, I know only what I read here. I have not run to the showroom to see, even if they have it on display. As it is, I never pre-book or even book a car till it has been on the road for at least a year, or two.
But I still think it would be a good idea to cut turrets and fix something like plexiglass domes -- a new kind of sunroof ?

Or I just might PM the Haryana CM to take some bulldozers and demolish the Jimny production lines. That may make MSL consider re-designing and rebuilding the whole thing ?
Old 27th March 2023, 21:20   #990
BHPian

Came across this one year old ,so called, review of the Jimny. Clearly the reviewer is not only biased but hell bent to prove that it is a sub par car aka the comparison with Thar in almost every breath. The way he uses the word “roll”, it sounds like it is a ship in heavy seas.
Finally he asked a camel which car the camel prefers, Jimny or Thar, who ignored him and moved on, similar to what I should have done to this review.

Last edited by Old_Salt : 27th March 2023 at 21:25. Reason: Text
Old_Salt is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed