Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2023, 13:09   #1021
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Does anyone have an idea if the Jimny can be viewed in the flesh in any of the Nexa outlets (or any other location) in Mumbai as of today?
Bump-Stop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 14:06   #1022
BHPian

Much awaited visual comparison. I know it doesn't matter for some buyers but at the same time it matters a bit for others.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot_202303301356152.png  

iamnvn is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 14:17   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Does anyone have an idea if the Jimny can be viewed in the flesh in any of the Nexa outlets (or any other location) in Mumbai as of today?
The schedule is there on the Nexa website and someone has posted it earlier.
In case you missed, here it is:

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimny.png
Knightrider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 15:10   #1024

I got the chance to check out the Jimny yesterday at Bangalore, JP Nagar showroom. It is a no-nonsense, rugged offroad vehicle and It definitely turns heads in that Forest green shade. Reasonably priced, it can sell impressively.
But as a person from a family looking for an upgrade from a 2014 Ecosport, the Jimny doesn't make a strong contender. The interior feels a little too cramped and the lack of seat height adjustment made me feel uncomfortable in the driver's seat and the highway manners are also a question at this point (can't write it off yet, without having taken a test drive )
The minimal interior definitely carries over the rugged feel and has hints of Gypsy too and in terms of tech ( Touchscreen Infotainment and Cruise Control ) it definitely is better than our Ecosport.

Imho, It is a great SUV as a secondary vehicle for weekend offroad trips and city drives but as the only vehicle to meet all the needs, I believe it doesn't exactly meet our definition of upgrade.

P.S: This is just a personal opinion from an inexperienced 20-year-old��
A_Abhiraam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 16:34   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
I have the exact same car - The Baleno RS and I'm in the same boat as far as the Jimny is concerned. Is that boot as deep and wide as the Baleno RS? If that answer is a YES, then I'm sorted for those occasional airport runs to pick up or drop someone.

I was all for the 3-door version but then this 5-door is seemingly growing on me. Seems far more practical. Even though practically speaking, my Baleno RS is perfect for the job.
Vertical depth i think is more. Horizontal depth is lesser as is width.

I am not looking to replace the RS with the Jimny as the RS is much more comfortable for 5 people. The Jimny will be a second car. These are two so different cars in character that it is very hard for one to replace the other. I like the low, fast and spacious hatchback capability that the RS provides which the Jimny cannot satisfy. But neither can the RS come close to what the Jimny offered.

What the common ground.... it's space and comfort. If the Jimny offer 75% of what the RS does in those terms, which i think it does, I'm good. The boot space to me looked okay to me not too small to be a deal breaker. This is my thought process.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 30th March 2023 at 16:40.
Old 30th March 2023, 16:41   #1026
BHPian

Jimny 5 Door Articulation Test

Seems like BLD does not get activated in 2H mode.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimnyarticulationtest.jpg

Name:  ArticulationTest5DJimny.gif
Views: 988
Size:  4.98 MB

Last edited by purohitanuj : 30th March 2023 at 16:52.
purohitanuj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 16:59   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnvn View Post
Much awaited visual comparison. I know it doesn't matter for some buyers but at the same time it matters a bit for others.
Could you please share the link to this video?
I'd like to see the other sides of both the cars as well.
Old 30th March 2023, 18:39   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
…on my morning walks in Sydney CBD I keep seeing the Park Jimny.
Those 3 door Jimmy’s are just mint! Man I wish we had that here. Perfect for an individual or couple. I’ve always liked the white one personally. Also, on that showroom parking video that extra length of the 5-looked a bit awkward at one angle. Just doesn’t have the effortless charm of its smaller sibling. Looked like a Trax at one angle oh well…

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
The 2-door Jimny looks so much more proportionate and authentic - the perfect "me" vehicle, if you know what I mean. I wish they had offered it here in India as an option. And of course, the Indian version could very well do without that ugly and loud chrome grill :(
YES and yes! I hate that chrome. I’d get it wrapped or blacked out somehow. And for that 3-door version, man I’d love one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Attachment 2434906
Boot looked adequate for my use. Seemed that the vertical space is more than my Baleno RS.
That’s actually a very nicely shaped boot! Reminds me of the old Wagon R. That kind of square shape with no overhang from the boot door can hold much more than one might immediately imagine. I think this thing will be able to take considerably more than most others in its class. Will wait and see.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 22:21   #1029
BHPian

Saw the Jimny at the Mohali showroom today, I am frankly impressed, the interior space is larger than my 1st generation Thar. In the driver seat I felt I had more space than the Thar, and with the driving position set to my height at 180cm, I had enough space in the rear seat for my knees to not touch the front seat with a few inches to spare. The little boot space it has is still better than what I managed in the Thar with the DIY folding seats. My AWD Duster is getting to be an really expensive proposition to maintain, and I am just waiting for the pricing to be clear before I bite the booking bullet.

Some not so rosy comments I heard from others who came to the see the Jimny

- It's congested
- There's less space for my turban sitting in the rear seat
- Has less space than the new Thar

Last edited by HillyThar : 30th March 2023 at 22:23.
HillyThar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 23:28   #1030
BHPian

Got a call from the nexa showroom saying that the prices will be revealed in April. ( The exact date when prices will be released will be kown to them by 9th April)
Also came to know that there will be very limited number of TD vehicles available and probably they will be kept for limited periods at different showrooms like the display vehicles. So they SM asked me to come as soon as I get call from them �� (Which I found very odd and cant really think whats going on with MSIL strategy here). Gives a doubt that they are trying to portray Jimny as supercar from Suzuki or Limited Edition launch for lucky few people to build that exclusivity hype. Not sure.

Video with manual Jimny (probably a TD vehicle)

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 30th March 2023 at 23:50.
offroad_maniac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 06:44   #1031
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
Saw the Jimny at the Mohali showroom today, I am frankly impressed, the interior space is larger than my 1st generation Thar.
I have said this a couple of times on the Forum. Basically Japanese are very good at interior packaging. They are able to give better interior space without the exterior bulk giving leading to false impression amongst many about the interior space.

Case in point is the original Scorpio and the original Innova. When parked next to each other the Scorpio looks much larger from the outside but the Innova has much more interior space. Both are body on frame vehicles.

It is similar with the latest Thar/Jimny. Thar looks more imposing from the outside but Jimny will give much better interior space.
4x4addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 07:31   #1032
BANNED

Quote:
The thar here seems to be modified with bigger wheels/tyres, Jimny seems to be bone stock. Not a great visual comparison IMO.
tarmacnaut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 10:42   #1033
BHPian

Completely agree.

I was already working on what could be termed as a 'Rally' Baleno RS. Changed the shocks and now hunting for off-road looking rims to fit higher profile tyres to fight Mumbai's terrible roads.

For me Jimny has to replace the Baleno RS as both are second cars. My Baleno is from Sep 2018 and has run possibly 12,000km. Jimny also won't do much more.

I'd rather take my bike when puttering around alone or the ev which is far cheaper as a city car honestly.

Both the Baleno and the Jimny will just be toys honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Vertical depth i think is more. Horizontal depth is lesser as is width.

I am not looking to replace the RS with the Jimny as the RS is much more comfortable for 5 people. The Jimny will be a second car. These are two so different cars in character that it is very hard for one to replace the other. I like the low, fast and spacious hatchback capability that the RS provides which the Jimny cannot satisfy. But neither can the RS come close to what the Jimny offered.

What the common ground.... it's space and comfort. If the Jimny offer 75% of what the RS does in those terms, which i think it does, I'm good. The boot space to me looked okay to me not too small to be a deal breaker. This is my thought process.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 31st March 2023, 10:50   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Got a call from the nexa showroom saying that the prices will be revealed in April. ( The exact date when prices will be released will be kown to them by 9th April)
How are the gear shifts in manual? Even better if you have driven and share feedback on gear shift compared to K15B Brezza manual?

Pardon my limited knowledge but a rookie question to all people who have owned a Gypsy. What differences one can expect with 215 75R15 vs 235 75R15?
Old 31st March 2023, 11:16   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Curve View Post
Could you please share the link to this video?
I'd like to see the other sides of both the cars as well.
I tried to map the side view as per the dimensions available. Jimny will not look this unsubstantial in comparison with the Thar on the side view at least.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-side-view.jpg

Love the excitement around this smart looking hardcore off-roader

I hope MSIL prices the Jimny competitively!

With 1 lac Thars already on road, the adventure junkie pie is quite large.

A masterstroke will be, to launch the 4x2 version soon..
Moto$apien is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed