Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2023, 12:59   #91
BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I never thought I would say this, but I quite like it in the 5 door disguise.... except for that power plant! Will definitely do a test drive of this vehicle. Good news is it is a relatively known engine and some engine tweaks would be possible without much fuss.

Overall 4* to MSIL for the execution of the 4 door project.
Just hope it scores the same stars in a NCAP performance.
Old_Salt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 12:59   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki's Jimny will be on the roads in April '23.
First August and now April? The Thar 2WD has them running scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuldeep31 View Post
Must admit I have become an overnight fan of Jimny. Won't be surprised if it goes on to be the T-BHP COTY 2023.
Regards
I could be wrong but most likely it would be Thar 5-door swooping down and snatching the award like a (m)Hawk out of MSIL's grubby little 4-speed hands.
vredesbyrd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 13:02   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPilaniya View Post
Boot space mentioned in the brochure looks very confusing.
208L
332L (rear seat folded)

Only 124L increase with rear seats in folded position looks very unrealistic. Typo?
It does look like a typo. We own a WagonR current gen in the family, and the space looked pretty similar, though the missing parcel tray might have added to the impression.

We'll know for sure when we get our hands on it for a full review.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th January 2023 at 13:04.
Old 14th January 2023, 13:27   #94
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised at the posts that Suzuki is scared of Thar 2WD. There are so many who will trust Suzuki blindly but will always be sceptical about Mahindra. The Jimny is far more desirable than a Thar to me. Being a Suzuki, atleast the service centre visits will be far less. And you get a petrol engine that will be far more fuel efficent than Thar which get 6-7 kmpl in city according to forum reviews.

Jimny is a well received international product, unlike Thar whose owners are still worried about basic stuff like central locking. In my opinion, even if Suzuki prices it a lakh higher than Thar, it will still be a success. I think even some Thar owners will think about replacing their steeds with Jimny.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 14th January 2023 at 13:31.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 13:31   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Is there any chance of them launching the proper 3 door version of Jimny?
This 5 door is what people used to do at Mayapuri and the likes for their Hard Top Gypsies.
I get the practicality of the 5 door but why could they not sell the 3 door along side?
I simply hate MSIL for deciding that India should only get this stretched out version.

Totally agree that it would be good to offer customers the option.

I test drove the 3 door Jimny here in Singapore. Totally bowled over, if I was thinking with my heart I would have bought it.

My mind stopped me because while we are just a family of four and my kids are still quite flexible, I could not see it being practical on a daily basis. Flipping the front seat to get to the back seats would kill me on a daily basis. If the 5 door version was available, the chances of me buying it would have been higher.

While we talk about this SUV being a niche product, the 5 door version will give it a wider audience.

Also the 3 door version which has been sold for around 3-4 years here can be found on resale with very low mileage. Jimny is happier in the jungle or on trails. In the urban set up it is not as much fun with poor acceleration on the highways, body roll, bare metal interiors.

Am I waiting for the 5 door version? YES!
hondaford is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 13:33   #96
th2
BHPian

Anyone else facing problems with the Nexa website for booking? The space to enter the OTP has just disappeared from the page! And I can't seem to go ahead without entering the OTP.

Such problems with a simple website are simply unexcusable in 2023.
th2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 13:47   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Jimny won't be getting any excise benefits because of the 1.5 L engine.
Not sure why you say so as engine capacity is 1462 cc.
Old 14th January 2023, 13:47   #98
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
I see this as lost opportunity as the 5 door was designed for India and will not be sold in Japan anyway( the size restriction constraint country).
Whole of the world elsewhere would have enjoyed a widened 5 seater Jimny.
This would have made it proper primary car but it is again a second or third car.

Someone who wish to get an idea of rear seat, please sit in Tiago. It's more or less the same. I and my friend sat in a Tiago just after Jimny for comparison.

Just my 2 cents.
There was some grapevine that it is to be manufactured both in Japan and India so not sure why it won’t be sold internationally.

Width is truly an issue - I drive a Gypsy as the only car and one of the things I dislike is the impact of its narrow width on occupant comfort. The knee is always pushing against the door pad and window roller handles with no room to spare. Thankfully the Jimny is 105mm wider than the Gypsy and it is one of the tiny but key specs that I eagle-eyed and made me capitulate towards it. It also probably happens to be one of those rare and few things that I have measured and re-measured endlessly. For all the merits of a Jimny, I would have hated to ride in the exact configuration in a new car and the chance or proclivity of my buying the Gurkha instead would have increased from 20% to 50% in my head (yes I waited almost 2 years for the Jimny launch after the new Gurkha came out just to make that choice). The extra 5cm of knee room on either side may not seem like much, but with the improved seating quality of Jimny over the Gypsy it just might keep me happy (rest is all a mind trick that blocked outright rejection if the width had been the same). Yep all things being equal just that extra 10.5cm has convinced me to plonk +10lacs on this car! For any other ordinary car, I would ideally look for at least around 1700mm width as a good minimum benchmark for a more comfortable arrangement of side and centre console space, but Jimny being the Jimny I am ready to compromise - I still expect my knee to rub against the door but I will live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibitg View Post
Is there enough width to install 3 seats (for medium build people) in the second row?
Umm No… I think you need a family car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Can someone please explain the recirculating ball type steering used in the Jimny? What are the positives and negatives of this type?

Is it a mechanical type, Hydraulic or Electronic Power Steering implementation in Jimny? Will this be too hard to operate for female drivers?
EPS with many complaints about vagueness, lack of steering feedback and lack of automatic hands-free centering after a turn - across the entire Suzuki range of cars. There was a post yesterday linking an older TBHP thread if you browse and search all the Jimny threads here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
First August and now April? The Thar 2WD has them running scared!

I could be wrong but most likely it would be Thar 5-door swooping down and snatching the award like a (m)Hawk out of MSIL's grubby little 4-speed hands.
First plan was tentative May and they have only quoted one week earlier i.e Apr 23rd in an actual interview few days back. I don’t think you can jump hugely complex production schedules by months within weeks of a rival product announcement out of silly anxieties like these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It does look like a typo. We own a WagonR current gen in the family, and the space looked pretty similar, though the missing parcel tray might have added to the impression.

We'll know for sure when we get our hands on it for a full review.
The rear seats do not fold completely but remain at 25 degree angle or so - that extra space would be only good for soft luggage spillover like backpacks haversacks and light luggage. Do the WagonR seats fold to a full flat configuration?

Last edited by Aditya : 14th January 2023 at 18:20. Reason: Let's keep the discussion family-friendly
Ragul is offline   (6) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 14th January 2023, 13:48   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by th2 View Post
Anyone else facing problems with the Nexa website for booking? The space to enter the OTP has just disappeared from the page! And I can't seem to go ahead without entering the OTP.

Such problems with a simple website are simply unexcusable in 2023.
So after my initial inquiry, they send me a link stating that it is a configurator for Jimny.
When I open it, I get an "Untitled build" Baleno.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-419f729e0bc74847b1d0b81f8c76631c.png

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-334258f1f061406cb4aa1c2af7e56e40.png
Old 14th January 2023, 13:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Brochure available in NEXA portal:
They have given the full safety kit for both the base and top end trim. That's pretty neat of Maruti
mallumowgli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 13:53   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
First plan was tentative May and they have only quoted one week earlier I.e Apr 23rd in an actual interview few days back. I don’t think you can jump hugely complex production schedules by months within weeks of a rival product announcement out of silly anxieties like these.
Call me stupid or a liar but they did say it's going to be a "Monsoon season" or "August" launch. To quote info from about a month ago: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5454139 (Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India)
Old 14th January 2023, 13:55   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibitg View Post
Is there enough width to install 3 seats (for medium build people) in the second row?
No. We tried to fit 3 lean person and could not. 2 in the back (medium built) will touch the shoulder (just a bit).

For an idea, 1 child car seat with 1 female (average/medium build) is max.

The seats are almost as wide as the current 3 Door Thar. In Thar, the wheel well forces one foot (on both sides) to be placed in a slight bend position which is not the case in Jimny (only saving point here). Also both rear passengers could tilt toward the respective window and take a slight nap or relax watching the view outside. This is also not possible in Thar due to the gap between the seats and the body panel.

This is going to be a deal breaker for 90% people. I think Jimny 5 door could be a failure case study as in what it could have achieved had it been 4-5" wide.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 14th January 2023 at 13:58.
purohitanuj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 14:01   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Can someone please explain the recirculating ball type steering used in the Jimny? What are the positives and negatives of this type?

Is it a mechanical type, Hydraulic or Electronic Power Steering implementation in Jimny? Will this be too hard to operate for female drivers?
It is vague, take more turns than conventional (IFS), is electric thus not hard to operate.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 14:02   #104
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
They have given the full safety kit for both the base and top end trim. That's pretty neat of Maruti
Yes - Very few differences in functionality except for green tinted UV glass, audio quality, screen size, headlamp washer, automatic climate control and HID projector vs LED projectors and steel vs alloy rims. Keeps the decision making data points simple for me.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 14:07   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
There was some grapevine that it is to be manufactured both in Japan and India so not sure why it won’t be sold internationally.
It will be sold internationally but not in Japan. The width constraint of Jimny is due to Japan small car benefits and not due to international market. In Europe, the Jimny is already banned and can be purchased as light commercial vehicle without rear seat. The whole 5 door "jugad" has been for India after looking at success of the Thar. The width will be a major deal breaker.

I booked the AT as I dont want to hurt my co-passenger's knee while shifting into 1st and 2nd

The extra ~100mm width could be due to the plastic fender. The body shell is 1475mm only. Please see/sit and then decide.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 14th January 2023 at 14:10.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed