Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2023, 20:48   #1141
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

It seems Maruti will likely price the Jimny at a premium as per this interview with Shashank Srivastava (discussed from 7.30 in below video).

Hopefully Maruti does not get too greedy considering the interest in Jimny, otherwise it may just become a niche vehicle with slow sales and lost potential. Jimny can completely create a new market segment for Maruti if priced competitively (Thar is at a higher price point). A lot of small families may consider this instead of sub-compact SUVs if this is not priced too far.

Maruti, please don't kill the Jimny like the 1.6 S-Cross.
Djay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 21:14   #1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Crossing water bodies is part and parcel of the Ladakh transit experience.
Then the ad can highlight the actual water crossings that one encounters in and around Ladakh. There are numerous such crossings that would make for a great ad to showcase the Jimny's prowess. Nobody is crossing the Indus in their cars in Ladakh. This is just a lazy job by the ad agency.

IMO this joyride along the banks of the Indus is totally unnecessary. This will only encourage more people to do such stunts when they visit Ladakh. And sooner or later someone and their car will get washed away by the river. This might sound ridiculous but we've already seen cases of people driving into the Pangong lake, getting stuck and having to be rescued.
inmotioninc is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 21:20   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
It seems Maruti will likely price the Jimny at a premium as per this interview with Shashank Srivastava (discussed from 7.30 in below video).
Given the video, I am now convinced that the Jimny will be priced at a premium.

I am guessing around Rs. 18 lacs on-road for the top-end Alpha Automatic variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
Their thought process is mass manufacturing. volume based, but they’re throwing the words “niche” and “premium” in interviews too much. I’m worried about the pricing.

True.
  • Maruti Suzuki is treating it is a a super premium vehicle.
  • Launched under the Nexa brand, but even then not showcased at all Nexa outlets
  • In fact, not even showcased in all cities
  • I doubt they will have enough vehicles to be showcased at all Nexa outlets upon launch
  • Looks like someone at Maruti Suzuki is trying to drive a premium pricing model by creating an artificial shortage of the Nexa.
Old 11th April 2023, 21:28   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Given the video, I am now convinced that the Jimny will be priced at a premium.
Someone at the top making decisions aren’t in touch with the ground reality or they’re trying to position MS as a premium brand with volume as core. Totally opposite poles that they’re trying to reach. Indian market already showed them what happens if they overprice it, guess they need another reminder as the lower priced Thar is not a warning enough. It’ll only help folks buy Thar even more.

Besides, someone already did a comparison, in foreign markets, it’s priced about the Ignis there. Even if they take the weird Indian taxes and laws into consideration, it shouldn’t cross 9L ex for zeta auto. It doesn’t even have a armrest for gods sake. Folks will happily go for Thar for a “little more” or go for some other vehicle for the same/lower pricing.

Last edited by AjayV : 11th April 2023 at 21:29.
AjayV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 23:48   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/U2xLI4rxwdY

From the video, two points are key.
1. The Jimny will be priced at a premium
2. The pricing will be competitive like any Maruti product

Putting them together, I would expect a pricing that undercuts the Thar but will be definitely more premium than the Fronx.

And with respect to the 1.6 S-Cross, I don't think there was much demand for the bigger engine to justify it's import. Plus with Maruti's no diesel strategy I doubt it made sense to hang onto the bigger 1.6 diesel. I doubt this will be a factor in the Jimny. Even now the 1.5L petrol S-Cross did decent numbers before being axed.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 11th April 2023, 23:54   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/U2xLI4rxwdY

Hopefully Maruti does not get too greedy considering the interest in Jimny, otherwise it may just become a niche vehicle with slow sales and lost potential. Jimny can completely create a new market segment for Maruti if priced competitively (Thar is at a higher price point). A lot of small families may consider this instead of sub-compact SUVs if this is not priced too far.
Maruti is going to make a big blunder if it prices the Jimny at a premium. Few points that cannot be ignored are below.

1. Jimny is a small car, infact tiny. There is only so much you can demand for a small car unless you are a Mini Cooper, Infact the Jimny is slightly bigger than the WagonR and identical in width to the Eeco. Size matters and drives the price atleast here in India.

2. Jimny is at the end of the day a 4th Generation Gypsy. As such it comes with minimal creature comforts and even lacks basics like a mobile holder or bottle holders. The minute the price goes above a threshold people will forget about 4x4 and all the Yada yada about the stories and legendary capabilities.

3. This was developed as a 5 door specifically for the Indian mass market. This is quite clear from a 2019-20 interview by Mr. CV Raman where he categorically states that the Jimny will never come to India in the 3D avatar and that the volumes are too low for investing in developing a 5 Door variant. Here is the link to that interview. https://m.indianautosblog.com/c-v-ra...-sense-p318417. , so assuming that the market has changed and people do want a lifestyle vehicle Maruti still has to recover costs spent in developing the 5D Jimny and make profits. Otherwise they could just as well have started selling the 3D variant. If they price it high they will never get the volumes to cover their cost.

4. I believe the success of the 5D Jimny solely rests on how 4x4 and offroading can be made available to the masses at an affordable cost. The idea is to democratise the 4x4 culture in India. By pricing it at a premium it will never get those numbers.

5. They would not want to repeat the fiasco of SCross where they were forced to reduce prices within 6 months. That damaged the model so much that Scross sales never fully recovered from that setback.

6. The expectation management of the Jimny pricing should have been managed right from the beginning If they were planning to price it at a premium. Almost every single auto journal magazine is estimating the price to be between 10 to 12.5 lacs. I somehow cannot believe that all of them are completely wrong. The prices will most likely be in the same ballpark.

7. With a 7000 units monthly production that has been reported, where does Maruti intend to sell so many cars If they price it at a premium which is way higher than the estimates. Even if you consider the discerning customer willing to pay a hefty premium the numbers will be miniscule. Nowhere enough to consume 7000 units each month.

I think they will price it a premium but not so ridiculously high that people will get turned off.

Disclaimer: I am one of the earliest people who booked the car on 12th Jan while it was being launched at Auto Expo. I am also a die hard fan of the Jimny, however I also have a figure set in my mind beyond which I will let it pass.

Couple of weeks and truth shall be revealed. I hope sanity prevails.

Last edited by Traveler : 12th April 2023 at 00:05.
Traveler is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 00:09   #1147
BHPian

If we think about Maruti and Premium in one sentence then one should also remember the Kizashi. It was launched as a premium model to rival Civics and Corollas but that didn't work at the end. When general public think about MS, they think about it as an affordable car company for anyone in the market. Not a premium car company.

Agree that Jimny is a niche product (like Gypsy was), but still it is bare basic compared to todays premium offerings. In fact Jimny in today's world is what Gypsy was back in the days. So price should be affordable enough. But as we all know that MS launched it under Nexa and treating it like a supercar by displaying only at selected outlet for limited days so that gives a different picture.

By this time pricing should have been revealed and media review should have been started. Anyways don't want it to become case of sour grapes 🍇 😔
offroad_maniac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 07:56   #1148
BHPian

Checked out the Jimny at the Palace Orchards Nexa showroom in Bangalore. I wasn't flattered by the 5 door version.My quick observations are:
1) The flat floor in the 3 door version from boot to the rear row seats is far better than the stepped up floor of the 5 door version
2) Sitting in the rear seats reminded me of the compactness the M800 offered when first launched
3) Ingress and Egress into the rear row of seats is not convenient. I hit my head while getting in and knocked my knee hard while getting out
4) It is narrow and absolutely no space for a 5th passenger even if it happens to be a kid
5) The practicality of the jimny as a 5 door is questionable in my opinion and would be a compromise when compared to other hatch backs if ever bought by a consumer who would otherwise buy a 5 door hatchback. I feel it would have been far better in its 3 door avatar catering to the niche of off-roader enthusiasts all over our country like myself.
6) It seemed practical on the inside with its basic functional switches and ergonomics.
7) In my opinion it will be a perfect fit for a couple on trips to wonderland or for auto enthusiasts as a 4WD option for their off-road story telling experiences including usage for daily commute in city traffic

I shall continue waiting for it to be launched in its 3 door avatar for it to appeal to me and I making the decision to buy one.
yikes6633 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 08:54   #1149
BHPian

MSIL won’t price the Jimny at a premium - at least not all versions. They’ve lost massive market share in recent times - down from 48% to 43% in one year alone. And that’s purely due to lack of SUV’s in their lineup when the world is buying more suvs than ever. The Grand Vitara and the refreshed Brezza are an attempt to stem the slide. And given Suzuki’s lack of options even in their global portfolio, the Jimny may just be their last ticket for a while. In fact, my bet is that they can price the bottom out of this category if they felt inclined to - the car has been in production locally for three years. The LWB is an indigenous development. The powertrain is vintage and the car gets the sub 4.2 mt sops. They’ll need this model to violently swing the market back in its favour. And that’s why, methinks get ready for a shock n awe price even if introductory. Sub 10 lac for sure for the Zeta MT and may even be pleasantly sub of that. Just a few weeks more..
SUVolens is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 09:51   #1150

May be for Maruti, premium starts at 10 lakh In my opinion, if the top end alpha automatic ex showroom price goes into the >13.5 lakh territory, there will be lot of cancellations right away.
balmagbrezjim is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 13:34   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
A fairly elaborate Jimny vs Thar side-by-side comparison on size and dimensions:

https://Youtu.be/hAltUCbWxZI
This does change a lot of perceptions. I'm 5'7" and I had found entry egress of Thar pretty cumbersome, not as smooth as the (5'11" guy in the video).
So Jimny can be expected to be a lot better, plus the 4 door and the boot access do make it quite city friendly.
Next I guess, would be to get a honest/ practical driving experience review! The Gypsy for me was a pure metal and mechanical feel, so maybe the comparison would be like Mahindra CL vs Gypsy taken to the next level of refinement!
Freespirit27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 18:36   #1152
BHPian

I am not sure why Maruti is not bringing there 1.4 BoosterJet Engine(138bhp) in the Indian market. Would have loved this engine matted with 6 speed MT/AT for Jimny (and also Grand Vitara) and then Maruti should have asked for a premium pricing ( 11-12 Lakhs Ex-showroom for Jimny Zeta MT).

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/suzuki...-petrol-review

VivekWalia1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 19:28   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekWalia1986 View Post
I am not sure why Maruti is not bringing there 1.4 BoosterJet Engine(138bhp) in the Indian market. Would have loved this engine matted with 6 speed MT/AT for Jimny (and also Grand Vitara) and then Maruti should have asked for a premium pricing ( 11-12 Lakhs Ex-showroom for Jimny Zeta MT).

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=NifmjuScEhI
I would imagine that a small capacity turbo petrol would be detrimental to the hard as nails 4x4 capability of the Jimny. I’m no off-roader, but the sudden power surges of a turbo could make it difficult to rock crawl in a light vehicle. Similarly, the 4 speed auto is more suited to harness the limited torque available in a NA petrol and internationally, the Jimny has humbled much larger off-road vehicles with this proven setup, so they’re not messing around, especially when there’s a huge export market waiting for the LWB Jimny to break cover. Just my guess..
SUVolens is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 05:24   #1154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekWalia1986 View Post

Really expected the Grand Vitara to come with the 1.4l turbo petrol to take the fight to the Koreans/VAG twins. But nope. Though I do believe that it will come to the Indian market within 2-3 years. Especially since the 1.0l Boosterjet has been localised and they plan to make it mainstream. Have to see what engine upgrades the Jimny would be getting. Rumours are that Maruti is keen on the 1.0l Boosterjet for the Jimny and Brezza. The 1.4l Boosterjet even if it comes, will be for the Grand Vitara and upcoming 7 seater.

Btw, the 1.4l Boosterjet had been detuned to 129bhp a few years back for emission norms.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 06:53   #1155
BHPian

The Jimny is a life style product. It will be priced at a premium. No matter the size, it will be expensive.
Mafia is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks