Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2023, 09:18   #1411
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk1975 View Post
I don't remember the "For any cancellation beyond this period, refund would be settled offline between customer and dealer selected at time of booking" clause being there when they opened the booking. They must have added it later.
Yup, I don't remember it being there either. I wonder why has this been added to start with? Seems like a big hassle.

I am not planning to cancel my booking just yet but looking at all the pre-reviews up until now, it will all boil down to price suitability.

I am sure someone amidst our members might have taken a screenshot etc of this page from Jan.
Old 7th May 2023, 12:06   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
I am sure someone amidst our members might have taken a screenshot etc of this page from Jan.
Doesn't matter whether they have changed or added any clause. Cancellations of pre-price reveal period pre-bookings will be refunded fully, without any cancellation charges. And MSIL dealers do honour that.

Last edited by RijuC : 7th May 2023 at 12:18.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 09:30   #1413
BHPian

Ban diesel four-wheelers in big cities by 2027, says energy transition panel

Source

+ 1 for Jimny even if this is just a recommendation at this stage.
Old 8th May 2023, 12:03   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
Ban diesel four-wheelers in big cities by 2027, says energy transition panel

Source

+ 1 for Jimny even if this is just a recommendation at this stage.
Ban and let all those people who have Diesel feel cheated if government doesn't have enough cases in judiciary. Add to that Ev aren't green. Why not ban jets and ships which release sulphur in amounts in comprehendable or comparable to vehicles.

Sorry, these hand baked dimwits on ban , odd even and what not really get on my nerve.

The whole of Europe which was advocating green green green went red moment their basics were threatened end result Russian Gas replaced by more expensive compulsary US gas and thermal plants restarted. We are here trying to do pick cut copy paste. Let us work what works for the country.

Automotive front Suzuki has been smart and foresighted in This front but till the same dimwits start off with GNCAP lines Indian NCAP; would Suzuki go UK route nd launch it in commercial.

Suzuki once stood up to the Govt. When it started pushing for better vehicles alone will not save lives; you need to have better roads , markings and other safety accident prevention in place.
iskandariya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 13:41   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Has Fronx price reveal put a dampener on the Jimny thread?
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 13:46   #1416
BHPian

Any idea if we can install a seat height adjuster in the driver seat of Jimny?
jackofsome is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 21:54   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Has Fronx price reveal put a dampener on the Jimny thread?
The prospective Jimny buyers have already grown 5 months older (and matured)! And priorities, available options, self-assessment do change in 5 months.

There is a Bengali saying- if you squeeze the lemon more than required, it leaves a bitter taste. The charm of new car buying has been meticulously killed by MSIL.

Though it doesn't matter to the pure 4x4 enthusiasts, adventure seekers with commercial activities and buyers looking for a Gypsy replacement/ Thar or Gurkha alternative. Aam junta have almost lost the interest.

Personally, I reduced my budget for the Jimny after seeing the display unit multiple times and going through the details available on social media platforms; and analysing my own requirements vis-a-vis what Jimny offers.

After the price reveal of FronX, it's almost certain that Jimny AT variant will be out of my budget.
RijuC is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 22:08   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post
Any idea if we can install a seat height adjuster in the driver seat of Jimny?
In case you want to have driverís seat with height adjustment mechanism, then complete seat frame needs to be replaced. However unlike other models of Maruti where top end versions come with this option, none of the versions of Jimny come with the height adjustment option so we cannot replace it.
Hope in future if MSIL brings this option in their Alpha version, then one can replace it.
Rahul Lal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 08:37   #1419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
There is a Bengali saying- if you squeeze the lemon more than required, it leaves a bitter taste. The charm of new car buying has been meticulously killed by MSIL.
Frankly I don't think they should have waited this long for the launch and starting the actual sale of the car. If I were to take a guess, I would think that anywhere from 30 to 40% of the bookings will end up in cancellations. Especially after many have taken the test drive expecting a soft roader.

Also, the Jimny bookings never reached the frenzy levels that the Thar launch created. Many who were eagerly waiting for many years for a capable off-roader than can also be driven in reasonable comfort/refinement on the road have already bought a Thar.

In my opinion, they are dragging announcing the price only too how many bookings they garner and much they can milk the buyer.
4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 09:05   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

In my opinion, they are dragging announcing the price only too how many bookings they garner and much they can milk the buyer.
Will you find a Jimny a worthy car for your hill use?
One of our common friends in Kodaikanal has booked one mainly because of the narrow roads.
Old 9th May 2023, 09:41   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Will you find a Jimny a worthy car for your hill use?
I am definitely getting one Alpha Manual. Will get it once the madness is over. I don't want to give my money interest free to the dealer for 6 months. Would have loved the AT, but not with the antiquated 4-Speed. Won't be able to pass/over take an APE 3 Wheeler.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 9th May 2023 at 10:08.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 10:31   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I am definitely getting one Alpha Manual. .
I am also much more inclined towards the Manual Alpha. But this can only be bought if and when I decide to sell/ replace either my Thar or Gypsy.
Old 9th May 2023, 10:44   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Jimny has two advantages over a Thar, it's diminutive size and 4 doors, that's it. Every other parameter the Mahindra trumps it, safety, features, power, sheer road presence etc...etc.. Of course there are niche buyers who're excited but we're talking about the mass market here, maruti's bread and butter. Mahindra's current market monopoly and sales volumes, also means the Thar has a VFM/pricing advantage that's difficult for any competitor to replicate.

Maruti will get some sales due to the Jimny novelty factor and it's wide network. But I don't foresee numbers that'll make maruti bean counters happy.

Mahindra made a masterstroke with the 1.5 That variant and a well priced 4 door Thar will be checkmate.

The fault squarely lies with Suzuki, this iteration of the Jimny was launched half a decade back, why were they sitting idle all this time? The only penance available now is to launch it with a killer introductory price and get a good start. That's if Mahindra doesn't have more tricks up it's sleeve.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 11:26   #1424
BHPian

Well, having booked a Zeta MT early on, I too am as plagued by MSIL’s strange coyness with the Jimny details as the rest. The Zeta lends itself comfortably towards a steady stream of upgrades (not customisation - I hate those jacked up numbers) as and when available and believe it or not - it’s those lovely black steel rims that’s swinging my vote against the Alpha. But the Zeta needs to be no more that 12 lacs OTR in the NCR. More than that and it won’t drive me to the arms of a Thar - for that Thar is just too hopped up on testosterone for my liking, but possibly contemplate a patient wait for the EV market to evolve some more before adding a second car to my er.. fleet.
In my head, the math still works - MSIL tooled upon a LWB Jimny to attract volumes in India. Volumes that they could’ve done without if they’d got the SWB version two years ago, priced it a premium at par with international markets and still remained profitable by the margin. Being manufactured locally, they’d have even got away with pricing it significantly below the international prices which I gather, are outrageous for what it is.
So, now that they clearly wanted the volumes, they will need to remain competitive, so - 11.5; 12.5; 13.25 and 14.75 OTR for the Zeta MT, Zeta AT, Alpha MT and Alpha AT respectively in the NCR. These would be sweet, well almost, except that Alpha AT. But the conundrum is - how would Suzuki justify these prices in Australia, where the SWB is already twice of this and a LWB will need to be obviously more expensive?
I think it’s a head scratcher for MSIL and that’s the real reason why they’re so cagey about details even this late into the year. Reeks of low confidence viz price for a product defined more by emotion than rationale. And the Jimny can be bought on a number of reasons, but not rationale, unless you live on a farm on top of a hillock.
Where’s my Zeta MT now?

Last edited by SUVolens : 9th May 2023 at 11:28.
SUVolens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 15:36   #1425
BHPian

Suspension upgrade Lift Kit for the Maruti Suzuki Jimny:

Last edited by Aditya : 10th May 2023 at 05:15. Reason: Please add a small note about the video posted
VivekWalia1986 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed