Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2023, 09:38   #1441
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Found this on a WA group. Not sure if this is authentic.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230512wa0003.jpg  

sadnabrina is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 10:14   #1442
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Maruti Suzuki will announce prices for the Jimny by the first week of June.
Why wait till June? Booking Frenzy was over in one month of start of bookings and numbers are stagnating. Are they expecting a May miracle to reach for the pricing stars? May as well just give the price out and deal with the cancellations.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 10:30   #1443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Found this on a WA group. Not sure if this is authentic.
So commercial production started from 10th May. Seems to be authentic. As per earlier information TD vehicles were to reach dealerships by end of May & price announcement in first week of June followed by deliveries.
Rahul Lal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 10:34   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Why wait till June? Booking Frenzy was over in one month of start of bookings and numbers are stagnating. Are they expecting a May miracle to reach for the pricing stars? May as well just give the price out and deal with the cancellations.
The whole exercise by Maruti has been a flop. First they show the car two years ago at Auto Expo then they show the 5D variant this year and start bookings at 25k INR. Don't know what was that logic.

Then for 4 months they do nothing while the citizen journalists leak not only the car but how it drives on highway and how it offroads. Not revelealing the price also met with a similar fate with an alleged dealer invoice leaking out.

The whole launch has been nothing short of a train wreck. They could have controlled the narrative right from beginning instead of projecting it as a "niche" vehicle and falling over their own feet.

People have lost interest and I don't blame them, the more time you give for someone to consider something the more the chances that they will do so .While Maruti strategizes their launch circus Mahindra is waiting with an entry level Thar ready to eat the Jimny for breakfast while Hyundai is not too far back with their Exter breaking cover. To top it all even Honda who has been in stasis for last 10 years suddenly announced Elevate.

All I can say is that Maruti has my best wishes for this launch and I hope it meets their expectations, cause people have a ton of options now.
Traveler is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 13:01   #1445
BHPian

Agree with observations from most others in this thread about Jimny - the launch is flawed.
  • A couple of years ago, I was asked by my family if we should replace our aging SX4 and I was sure that I would replace it with the Jimny should it ever come to it (and if the Jimny ever launched).

• Finally, after an excruciating wait, Maruti-Suzuki unveiled the Jimny for India this January. But given the expected gap between the Auto expo show and the actual availability I wasnt too sure. However, I still went ahead and booked given how long I had wanted the Jimny.

• In the meanwhile, I saw every available video of the Jimny and also ordered accessories for Jimny in anticipation of a March or April availability.

• It has unfortunately been more delay for people like us who have booked the car, and even now haven't had a chance to see the car in any dealership (people like us = people from Hyderabad and other such cities, which Maruti Suzuki decided to disown and not have the Jimny available in the Nexa showrooms)

• I am pretty sure by the team the media drive videos are out, and the prices are unveiled and the Jimny becomes available, I would have lost all interest. Let's see how the next couple of months go.
The excitement has faded away, and for all I know, I will be doing a giveaway of all the Jimny accessories I had been accumulating in anticipation and excitement of the launch.
nishsingh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 13:56   #1446
BHPian

I see a lot of comments from fellow Bhpains about the wrecked/flop nature of the launch of Jimny. And here is why i feel that this launch is neither wrecked nor a flop.
  • Maruti has never given a committed date for its launch. They have mentioned it to be "around May". Even June first weeks comes under that umbrella
  • Booking amount is refundable fully right now and with a meagre Rs. 500 cancellation fee post price reveal.
  • I understand most people are feeling the impatience after putting in their money on the car. I would say the impatience is justified had Maruti promised / committed to a date and is not adhereing to it. Which hasnt really been the case.
  • The production commenced on 10th May. Usual practice by Maruti is to launch the car between 3-4 weeks after the production begins to build up enough stock.
  • Cancellation after the price reveal is our right and choice as a consumer. Something we can exercise even today if we feel that the car is being delayed too much.
  • I understand the grief of the money being blocked with no liquid return. As a small business owner that was my only question in mind to book the car as i knew i would essentially be blocking liquid capital for a few months with a possibility of me not liking the price and eventually cancelling the car. This was a risk I and most of the early bookers took to get a timely delivery of the vehicle. Something that once again was my (and our) choice.

All comments also tell me that there is so much excitement around this cars' launch, something i didnt see to this extent even during the launch of Thar or ScorpioN .
Such levels of excitement can be a short term double edged sword for manufacturers and hence i am not surprised that Maruti hasnt yet committed to a launch date.

But the date is close by guys. Lets just hand on for only a few more weeks. All our doubts will clear out and then we can start a new thread to bash the Jimny's premium pricing (crossing fingers that does not become the case )
prashant316 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 14:06   #1447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
I see a lot of comments from fellow Bhpains about the wrecked/flop nature of the launch of Jimny. And here is why i feel that this launch is neither wrecked nor a flop.
Shashank Srivastava had very clearly mentioned the date for Jimny being in the roads in April. I think you missed his interview at Auto Expo. Here is the link

Regarding other things you mentioned, it's not the booking amount being blocked. For Jimny enthusiasts it does not matter at all.

What has caused this heartache is the complete silence and totally botched up approach for their "Iconic" car.

I believe the frustration is completely justified and there will be a fallout.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th May 2023 at 22:50. Reason: quote tags
Traveler is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 15:19   #1448
BHPian

Another thing which always bothered most of the car enthus like us is - why in the Urban 4*4 segment only Mahindra (read Thar) was allowed by the competitors to enjoy monopoly for years. Not only Maruti Suzuki, but Tata motors as well didn't bother to launch any vehicle for years while they had the capability to do so - Suzuki Jimny being available all over the globe since long and Tata motors too have 4*4 capable vehicles like Tata Yodha, Old Safari etc. They could and must have launched capable SUVs, instead of focusing more on pseudo SUVs, to garner market share in this booming 4*4 segment as well. Just a thought !
VivekWalia1986 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 15:24   #1449
Senior - BHPian

Was angry at Suzuki for ignoring its biggest market, India, and launching Jimny everywhere else , but come 2023 and I thought they were making amends. So, started following this thread. But, now, seeing their feet-dragging on it, lost whatever little interest I had. Local dealers already started displaying their smugness, if you enquire about Jimny, without even bringing in a display car. As though they just invented world's first SUV. We don't know how it looks, we don't know how much it costs and it's been 4 months. No, thanks.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 15:59   #1450
BHPian

Quote:

What he said

Nobody’s holding a gun - just cancel the booking already. But we won’t. Know why? We’re afraid the car will be just as good as we expected and we’d hate to find ourselves right at the end of the queue when we come back, while some lucky guy gets upgraded by the vacated slot. FOMO central

A few more weeks won’t hurt. Bring out the javelins or the jewels after that. And I’ll take those accessories that somebody might give away. Thank you

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th May 2023 at 22:51. Reason: trimmed quote
SUVolens is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 16:14   #1451
BHPian

Suzuki is very clear that no matter how much people state that they would love to buy the Jimny, actual sales would not match the hype, especially considering Suzuki expectations of minimum 10,000 per month sales. So, it has always been their priority to launch models that do achieve this. Down the line they do have their share of hits and misses for sure. And if you ask me, Jimny will sell at max 5000 to 6000 units per month at best because people (including BHP-ians) do not understand what the product is and the niche it caters to an not because launch is perceived to be delayed. When people do realise it's utility, there will be a dedicated clientele who would be steady buyers and no more.
Carma2017 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 16:58   #1452
BHPian

Delay or not, botched up launch or not, utility or not doesnt matter. What matters is that the price should be reasonable and Value For Money or else there are many more vehicles to choose from.
murlidar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 17:32   #1453
BHPian

Quote:
I [list][*]Maruti has never given a committed date for its launch. They have mentioned it to be "around May". Even June first weeks comes under that umbrella[*]Booking amount is refundable fully right now and with a meagre Rs. 500 cancellation fee post price reveal. [*]I
Greetings,

It is absolutely about commitment.

They are taking us customers for granted.

Why this circus of announcement, but no price reveal, no display vehicles, no test drive.

Ideally reveal and price announcement should happen immediately or with a month at Max.

I booked on the 1st day of launch and have been waiting forever.

I have visited Nissan and test drove Magnite.
I have visited Kia and test drove Sonet.
I have visited Mahindra and test drove Thar.

All this after booking Jimny.

The wait is too much and it just makes the experience bland.

For all the hype, it's going to be a disappointment just like the Fronx and I'm positive that i will end up cancelling the booking..

Drive safe.
matchvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 18:02   #1454
BHPian

Looking at how the things have unfolded so far, I will maintain my view that MS were not at all ready for launch of Jimny & Fronx at the Auto Expo. They might have just planned a reveal but someone in top management thought at the last minute to start the bookings and here we are still waiting for the prices.
Knightrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 18:49   #1455
BHPian

Well, Shashank Srivastava has been saying different things at different times in interviews as well. So there must be something that has pushed the launch from ‘couple of weeks after Fronx launch’ to (now) June.

Wish MSIL solve the issue, whatever it is, and have a successful sales run with this vehicle. And that my Balck Zeta MT comes soon at 9.99 ex showroom. Likewise for everyone here who has booked it.

Cheers
IB290 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed