Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2023, 22:58   #1456
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Booking Frenzy was over in one month of start of bookings and numbers are stagnating.
Just enquired about a Thar RWD availability,
Mahindra is happyily laughing all the way to the bank.

AX RWD variant dispatches are so slow that no dealer is even committing to a delivery date and LX RWD waiting periods are close to one year!

Only if Mahindra released their booking numbers, people would realize that the 4wd and petrol numbers are much smaller chunks of their total bookings.
Add to that 4wd Thar would be available within a month of the booking date by the time Jimny would be released.

Mahindra has Jimny surrounded from all but one corner.
5D will fill that corner too.
And Maruti will have to bring out a real masterstroke to reach the Thar frenzy levels.

2WD Jimny anyone?

Last edited by johannskaria : 12th May 2023 at 23:22.
johannskaria is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 23:19   #1457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
2WD Jimny anyone?
In reality, the actual users of 4x4 would have preferred the three door.
For the urban jungle, 2WD and five door would have been the preferred mix (and would have hopefully kept the price in check)
Anyways, as we are just a few days off from the price reveal, let's see what MS has planned for us.
OPMaurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 06:19   #1458
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
All comments also tell me that there is so much excitement around this cars' launch, something i didnt see to this
I am not sure you may disagree with me, but in my opinion, a manufacturer is more interested in booking numbers than team-bhp comments. So, when it comes to the number of actual customers who have opened up their wallet, there is no comparison between the Thar/Scorpio -N numbers and the Jimny numbers. Don't get me wrong, personally I think the Jimny is a far superior product to the Thar and I myself avoided buying the Thar and waited for the Jimny. Except for the old school 4-Speed slush box, I am sure the Jimny will shine in most other aspects over the Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
And I’ll take those accessories that somebody might give away. Thank you
I too will take the accessories. I think you are misunderstanding the frustration with the company to be with that of the product. The Jimny as a product is fantastic, but I feel Maruti can stop the song and dance routine now as the hype is already over. They should just announce the price asap and deal with the consequences. Nothing is going to chance by further delaying the price. If they think that the media reviews will double the bookings from 25K to 50K and then announce a fancy price they are badly mistaken. The demand has already been firmed up and it is no where near what the Thar generated and continues to do so. Point some of us are making is that Maruti has been crying "wolf" for too long. Just end it, announce the price and start delivering the vehicle. !!

Quote:
2WD Jimny anyone?
I am almost certain they will launch a 2WD at some point. Besides with the discontinuation of the Bolero 4WD, there is a huge government order market waiting to be exploited. Not to mention the potential export orders. Overall, I think they will average about 5K to 7.5K units per month between indian consumer, central/state govt & export orders.

Quote:
Only if Mahindra released their booking numbers, people would realize that the 4wd and petrol numbers are much smaller chunks of their total bookings.
We cannot really fault Suzuki for this. They are not into diesels and given bulk of their products are smaller economic cars diesel in today's strict emission age doesn't make any sense at all. Personally , I am a petrol fan. Especially engines like the Thar/Scorpio/XUV petrol engine, which is essentially a turbo - long stroke petrol engine, so it gives you the low end torque of a diesel without the ad blue/emission/Delhi High Court worries.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 13th May 2023 at 06:23.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 06:56   #1459
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
5D will fill that corner too.
And Maruti will have to bring out a real masterstroke to reach the Thar frenzy levels.
In a country like India. ‘Road Presence’, read ‘Intimidate and Bully through sheer Size and Bulk’, always scores very high.

The whole concept of ‘Road Presence’ has long been there but has been articulated more plainly only over the last 12-14 years, ever since the vehicle population of India started increasing in direct proportion to regular common-folks’ buying power.

It is also a plain fact that People’s patience levels have also been decreasing beautifully (especially in the Urban and Semi Urban concentrations), in direct proportion to the above-mentioned increases.

No prizes then, for guessing which vehicle(s) will be more in demand, when one compares between the diminutive yet capable Maruti Jimny and the Bulky and Imposing and capable Mahindra Thar.

As the owner of a Gypsy and a new Thar both, I love them both to bits for totally different reasons, based on their varied characters and capabilities.

As I have said before, ad nauseam, there is Nothing quite like a soft top Gypsy on a narrow Estate trail in the slush or on a lovely winding hill road with its naturally aspirated engine and rifle-bolt gear box. (Remember, there’s a real pleasure in driving a slower car fast!)

And there is Nothing quite like a new Thar to instill a sense of invincibility in our debris strewn urban jungle or to venture fearlessly into the great wide Yonder.
shankar.balan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 16:17   #1460
BHPian

This is the color palette of the Jimny
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230513151709.jpg  

kesh4munni is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 10:37   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
This is the color palette of the Jimny
Do note that the last one on the right is empty slot. There is no Silver in the lineup.
sadnabrina is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 10:41   #1462
BHPian

My dealer was saying it’ll be just @4 vehicles per dealer at the launch. But from another reliable source it was told it’ll be @8-10 per dealer ( bigger dealers to get more allocations). Also the first lot will be randomly allocated by MSIL - both variants and colours-and not according to the bookings at individual dealerships.

Good news is that the training for Jimny starts on May 18th. So the launch can’t be that far
jojoinassi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 17:28   #1463
BHPian

Good to know more about Jimny from an experienced campaigner !!

VivekWalia1986 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 06:28   #1464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
My dealer was saying it’ll be just @4 vehicles per dealer at the launch. But from another reliable source it was told it’ll be @8-10 per dealer ( bigger dealers to get more allocations). Also the first lot will be randomly allocated by MSIL - both variants and colours-and not according to the bookings at individual dealerships.

Good news is that the training for Jimny starts on May 18th. So the launch can’t be that far
What does random allocation mean?
Someone who booked in May can expect an earlier delivery than a person who book in say January/February,
or is it a random allocation of trim levels?

Maruti Launched Fronx in the last week of April and Managed to Dispatch 8784 units within a week,
and fronx supposedly had lesser bookings than Jimny and definitely has more semiconductor chips than the 4WD.
Jimny is expected to be launched within a month, and If Maruti tries to delay Deliveries by sending 4-5 cars per delearship,
they will be taking customers for a ride.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 10:29   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
What does random allocation mean?
Someone who booked in May can expect an earlier delivery than a person who book in say January/February,
or is it a random allocation of trim levels?

Maruti Launched Fronx in the last week of April and Managed to Dispatch 8784 units within a week,
and fronx supposedly had lesser bookings than Jimny and definitely has more semiconductor chips than the 4WD.
Jimny is expected to be launched within a month, and If Maruti tries to delay Deliveries by sending 4-5 cars per delearship,

I, too, am hearing of this kind of a plan being hatched by Maruti. My cousin who has booked a Jimny in Calcutta was told by the dealer something to this effect and also to be "mentally prepared" of chances of not getting his chosen colour option!
If these were to be true, even partially; it seems Dear Ole' Maruti is back to its favourite old game of making money on customers' booking deposits, a feat it did brilliantly and aced it during the heydays of Maruti 800 and the Zen!
First: collect booking money 6 months prior to intended launch. Make sure the money is well "rotated in the market" to fetch Maruti enormous amounts in terms of interest.
Next: implement that long forgotten 1990's Maruti-800 and Maruti Zen, booking allocation method of; "computerised random allocation of allottment card".
Only certain colours and variants will get produced and if you are so desperate to get your vehicle, customers were forced to change their original choice and make the balance payment in favour of the revised trim/variant.

Maybe Maruti can also resurrect that infamous "TK", (Tatkaal), edition for Jimny? They did it in the 90's for the M-800. Much like Indian Railways, if you wanted to jump the booking queue, you had to book your 800 under "Tatkaal" scheme, pay Rs15,000 extra and get delivery within two weeks. That variant even had a "TK" sticker badging, next to the 800 badging on the right rear hatch lid!

Unfortunately that was 1990: this is 2023. It is not a near monopoly situation as it was once.
Yes,agreed, Jimny is undoubtedly one of the best performing lighweight 4x4 in its category, but take things too far and potential customers may get irritated with Maruti's shenanigans.
arjab is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 11:44   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Unfortunately that was 1990: this is 2023. It is not a near monopoly situation as it was once.
Yes,agreed, Jimny is undoubtedly one of the best performing lighweight 4x4 in its category, but take things too far and potential customers may get irritated with Maruti's shenanigans.
Since this is Jimny, the Customers are waiting for months. Otherwise, it's 2023 and customers wishing to live little longer are not really interested in MSIL's tin can unsafe cars. Indian buyers are matured now, and availability of safety is a major buying decision.

Last edited by RijuC : 15th May 2023 at 11:55.
RijuC is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 12:06   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekWalia1986 View Post

https://Youtu.be/Pxtylvrl_qI
Seems like a very sensible review. Waiting for his review of Test Driving the Jimny
rkmountain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 14:22   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekWalia1986 View Post

https://Youtu.be/Pxtylvrl_qI
In my opinion, (from a person with automotive engineering background), the reasons he gives in the video don't justify the statement 'best engineered 4x4 in India' whatsoever:

1. Timestamp 3:35: Talking about how there is "tonnes of safety" because of a "4 inch thick crash member" in front of the radiator, "going to protect the radiator no matter what" is total stretch. Every vehicle has a front crash member, bumper beam, which is in front of the radiator. That's not special to this, and they're hollow for weight saving.

2. 4:09: If the Mahindra's radiator pipe has expanded and touches the radiator fan, then the radiator pipe is faulty, or poor system design. What the person is referring to on the radiator pipe is a heat shield sleeve, meant to radiate and/or dissipate coolant pipe heat, prolong pipe life. And similar to the crash member, almost every vehicle has these as well.

3. 4:34: I don't think I've seen any vehicle that doesn't have its air filter housing box at the top end of the engine. This is a common placement for servicing.

4. 4:45: According my knowledge and secondary research, there is no engine that Suzuki manufactures called the K-15A. All the Ertigas, Ciaz, XL6, Vitrara, use the K-15B since 2018. You can check it here: https://www.marutisuzuki.com/corpora...hnology/engine
Bolt on configurations, like turbos and superchargers are obviously at the risk of the owner, thought I'm not sure what people have done in forums.

5. 10:16: I'm not sure if this was considered in the argument for 'best 4x4 engineered vehicle', but having a boot 12V accessory socket and accessory mounting points are very common in utility vehicles (don't confuse that with your city SUVs), or even estates for that matter.

Though I don't agree with his personal views of how the screen is amazing, the 'tonnes' of space inside, despite he and his friend almost rubbing elbows, (you can't rub shoulders' in logical automotive design), the industry leading vent louvre feel by Maruti, those are his thoughts.

But stating facts like some of the above can be very misleading, for potential customers especially.
qr20de is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 14:50   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Maybe many vehicles will get exported.

I was watching an Australian review of the Scorpio N and the guy mentioned that it is available for next day delivery and comes with 7 years warranty. We wait for 6 months to an year and get a partly 2 year warranty. So it is not new that car companies take the Indian customers for a ride.
Jaguar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 15:38   #1470
BHPian

No offence to anyone but sometimes really amusing to read the angst on the rumours from friends, dealers, websites and so on. After all it is just a car, a consumer product, has competition; the company has a good track record of making good products and good service. Cant afford to. There is enough competition.
Olden days it may have had some questionable practices but not in the recent years. So can we not wait for a few weeks and see it for ourselves rather then get upset at rumours and "furiously tilt at the proverbial windmills? Just saying.
neerajku is offline   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks