Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2023, 22:34   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

On its moniker, wasn't the international Suzuki offroader always called the Jimny with only India getting the Gypsy name? Truly a global model with so much recall, I'm glad we also got the Jimny (with even better packaging)
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 22:37   #137
BHPian

Although Jimny is a great addition to Maruti portfolio and would be exciting times for enthusiasts as well but I think Maruti delayed its launch in India way too much.

I have been looking at Jimny for some time in foreign market and it has started to look old to me already, no offence.

Nonetheless it’s a very capable vehicle and would myself test hands on it someday!
uditsharma01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 23:32   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
On its moniker, wasn't the international Suzuki offroader always called the Jimny with only India getting the Gypsy name? Truly a global model with so much recall, I'm glad we also got the Jimny (with even better packaging)
No, the jimny 2 (gypsy), most famous name is samurai, in América and Europe, but also was called katana, corsica, farm worker, SJ and some more, of all 4 Jimny It was the one With most names
wacso is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 02:51   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Really excited about the Jimny . Especially in MT form, it will be a relatively light, agile & compact 4x4 offering loads of fun. Just like the iconic Gypsy.
Absolutely agree with your thoughts about Jimny. Went ahead and booked one in Red!

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th January 2023 at 08:01. Reason: For better readability, please avoid quoting the whole long post. Thank you!
Old 15th January 2023, 10:24   #140
BHPian

Here are a few interesting numbers relating to Jimny.

WHEELBASE

Jimny- 2590mm
Thar- 2450mm
Gurkha- 2400mm

Ever since the 5-door concept was first revealed, I always felt the car looked a wee bit stretched. Although I haven't seen Jimny in person, given the numbers, it's not surprising anymore!

WIDTH

Jimny- 1645mm
Wagon R- 1620mm
Ignis- 1690mm

It's a bit startling to see that the Ignis is the widest of the lot whereas Wagon-R is the narrowest. Jimny slots right in between the two. I don't think anyone will disagree with the fact that Wagon-R's rear bench is spacious enough to seat 3 adults with more than reasonable comfort. However Ignis's rear bench isn't a happy place to be in for 3 adults especially for a prolonged period. Just like how we cannot judge a book by its cover, it would serve well to not judge interior space of a car just by looking at its dimensions.
Emvi is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 10:45   #141
BHPian

I am planning to book Jimny Alpha. A little confused on AT/MT. Have never driven an AT offroad and on steep hills.
Also the first lots have some defects. This is seen more in Mahindra, Tata and less in Suzuki.

My point of view:
* Less curves. Love the boxy design.
* Solid Axles
* Compact Size (still manageable)
* 6 Airbags
* Familiar reliable engine (sounds under-powered, not after seeing Gurkha)
* Less electronics
* Proper 4x4
* Spare parts should be easily available
* Lots of mods available in international market (Indian availability will still be ₹₹₹₹)
* Weekend/OTR culture may develop more in smaller towns. Credits to Thar.
gargville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 11:33   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Here are a few interesting numbers relating to Jimny.

WHEELBASE

Jimny- 2590mm
Thar- 2450mm
Gurkha- 2400mm

Ever since the 5-door concept was first revealed, I always felt the car looked a wee bit stretched. Although I haven't seen Jimny in person, given the numbers, it's not surprising anymore!

WIDTH

Jimny- 1645mm
Wagon R- 1620mm
Ignis- 1690mm

It's a bit startling to see that the Ignis is the widest of the lot whereas Wagon-R is the narrowest. Jimny slots right in between the two. I don't think anyone will disagree with the fact that Wagon-R's rear bench is spacious enough to seat 3 adults with more than reasonable comfort. However Ignis's rear bench isn't a happy place to be in for 3 adults especially for a prolonged period. Just like how we cannot judge a book by its cover, it would serve well to not judge interior space of a car just by looking at its dimensions.
For the interior space of Jimny to accomodate 2 vs 3 full sized adults in 2nd row:

We need to consider the internal width available for Jimny which is 1300 mm as per the IGA (Internal General Arrangment) drawing shared by BHPians few posts earlier. I am not sure what is the equivalent terminology of the IGA in Automotive Design.

Hence, we need to compare the IGA of Jimny with WagonR, Celerio, Ignis,S-presso to understand the space available inside in 2nd row. What I could gather from the drawings available over internet that Jimny is similar to Ignis and little less than WagonR.

Please note, the new Brezza has same external width dimension. However, in the latest Brezza model, they could increase the internal width by approx 40 mm which allows 2 XL size and one S size adult to sit.

The width of 1645 mm of Jimny includes the wide claddings on both sides (whether ORVM is also included?). Approx. 100-120 mm need to be reduced to get the actual width for left door external (outer) surface to right door external surface.

Also, most importantly, this 5 door Jimny has a considerably high central tunnel hump. Hence, accomodating even a very lean person or kid between two lean adults in 2nd row of Jimny would be extremely difficult. Also, please consider the 50-50 split of the rear passenger seats and the contour/ cushioning.

It would be really helpful if someone can post few IGA drawings of these S-presso,WagonR and Ignis.

Ramp break over angle of Jimny is 24°:

What I understand that even a few degrees addition in Ramp break over angle makes a big difference for off-roading scenario. Even for our day to day drives in our regular cars, we understand this many times while crossing big obstacles.

Latest 3 door Jimny has a Ramp Break over angle of 28° and earlier models had 31° as per this website:
https://4x4outside.com/the-ultimate-...r-angles-list/

For 5 door Jimny, the stretched wheelbase of 2590 mm and break over angle of 24°; the real world capabilities need to be evaluated during the detailed reviews. We have seen from some road testing time YouTube videos that suspension set-up of this 5 door Jimny was made more towards comfort. This 5 door Jimny with stretched wheelbase, 24° breakover angle and fairly loaded with 4 full sized adults and their 3-4 days luggage may not be a great candidate for extreme off-roading adventures.

Last edited by RijuC : 15th January 2023 at 11:38.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 11:46   #143

Any idea guys, what will be the price range?
Shri_cruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 12:52   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargville View Post
I am planning to book Jimny Alpha. A little confused on AT/MT. Have never driven an AT offroad and on steep hills.
Also the first lots have some defects. This is seen more in Mahindra, Tata and less in Suzuki.

murlidar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 14:10   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
This 5 door Jimny with stretched wheelbase, 24° breakover angle and fairly loaded with 4 full sized adults and their 3-4 days luggage may not be a great candidate for extreme off-roading adventures.
But who goes for 'Extreme' off-roading with the entire family and 3-4 days luggage?

'Extreme' off-roading or recreational off-roading is done on off-road tracks with at most one extra co-driver and some equipment, which should not sag the car too much. A simple aftermarket lift kit should improve the breakover angle for any recreational off-roading and that is just a start of the accessories.
tarmacnaut is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 14:30   #146
BANNED

Quote:

* Weekend/OTR culture may develop more in smaller towns. Credits to Thar.
Normally one should be apprehensive about first lot of brand new car models - but remember Maruti is already manufacturing the 3-door Jimny since 2020 for the International market with all the fit and finish meeting International norms, only thing different is the changes for 5 door - that too the S-presso car appears to use the similar outlines and shapes (readymade CAD drawing inputs of Jimny with minor modifications) and hence tooling. Therefore I am not worried - any other car, I would have waited 6-8 months before booking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick07 View Post
Absolutely agree with your thoughts about Jimny. Went ahead and booked one in Red!
How did you choose color? My SA did not even mention color - it wasn’t even discussed while taking booking amount and the receipt does not mention color or booking ID as well. He did share the booking ID separately. He said color can be changed later. Is there a separate form for booking that lists color as well?

Quote:
We need to consider the internal width available for Jimny which is 1300 mm as per the IGA (Internal General Arrangment) drawing shared by BHPians few posts earlier.
The width of 1645 mm of Jimny includes the wide claddings on both sides (whether ORVM is also included?). Approx. 100-120 mm need to be reduced to get the actual width for left door external (outer) surface to right door external surface.

This 5 door Jimny with stretched wheelbase, 24° breakover angle and fairly loaded with 4 full sized adults and their 3-4 days luggage may not be a great candidate for extreme off-roading adventures.
If you look again - The diagram clearly shows the measurement points to be door panel without any kind of cladding. That should be the international norm.

Lastly why are you associating extreme off-road adventures with 3-4 days luggage and four full size adults?!! Let’s be realistic here please. The kind of passenger load you are talking about is routinely seen in the various 2WD tourist taxis from Mahindra Marrazo to Innovas and Maruti Ertiga at Himachal mountain passes and their water crossings, Ladhak Pangong lake Hanle Umlingla and wherever you choose to go. No extreme off-road challenges anywhere here unless you want to indulge in a sport and take it off-road even at those location (Expect those corner cases where the narrow mountain road is actively being tarred and you do not want to wait for 45 mins for them to let you pass).

Extreme off-road would be typically limited to weekend fun or short trips and even here it is common for passengers to get off and climb up the difficult steep section and watch the jeep manoeuver itself up (both for safety and observation fun or video shooting).

The Jimny is for today’s folks that have disposable incomes and will plan their trips accordingly with luggage and space considerations. And mostly these extreme type of buyers would upgrade their wheel sizes to improve breakover angle. (Mine will be the same as before though with 225/70/15 on 7J rims <5% size difference of 190/80 OEM wheels). I don’t do extreme off-road as a sport in any case.

Considering the weak engine (it was considered weak even on the Brezza reviews) it is a given that people will tweak and mod it to pump out more power. And here is where the lack of mild-hybrid system may actually be a boon for modders - the lack of an electrical system coupled to lithium-ion batteries will mean the engine can be tweaked easily for its power curve without having to worry of potentially complex to troubleshoot damaging side-effects to the electrical hybrid setup that takes inputs and feedback from the engine via the ecu.

Last edited by Ragul : 15th January 2023 at 14:45.
Ragul is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 17:41   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like you need NATS Kimun Kamui (Mountain God)

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230115-173435.png
Black_Star is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 18:42   #148
BHPian

I’ve been reading a lot of statements about the 5-door Jimny on the internet. I think many of those statements are incorrect and that people have a lot of misconceptions about the 5-door Jimny. Below are those statements, facts about those topics, and my opinions on them.

1. The 1.5L K15B Engine Is Too Weak For The 5-Door Jimny. With This Engine, the 5-Door Jimny Might Not Have Enough Power To Tackle Off-Road Comfortably. It Might Also Be Slow In City And On Highways.

The 3-door Jimny, that's available internationally, is also powered by the same 1.5L K15B engine that the 5-door Jimny uses. Many people who own that vehicle, equip it with bigger tires, metal bumpers, rock sliders, metal plates under the body for protection, a winch, a roof rack, an awning, a water storage tank, storage compartments, and many other components that improve the vehicle's off-road capability and make it a better vehicle for camping. All of those components add a lot of weight to the vehicle. Despite that extra weight, the 3-door Jimny tackles some of the most challenging off-road obstacles without any hiccups. Don't take my word for it. Just go to YouTube and search "Jimny JB74 Extreme Off-Road" or "Jimny JB74 Camping" and you'll see the results for yourself. I'll do you one better and post some of the videos below. Have a look at them.

The 5-door Jimny is exactly 100 kg heavier compared to the 3-door Jimny in stock configuration. That means when you equip the 5-door Jimny with the off-roading components that I mentioned above, it should weigh exactly 100 kg more than a similarly-specced 3-door Jimny. A 100 kg weight isn't a big deal for a vehicle of this class and I think that it will not make a serious dent in the performance and the capability of the vehicle. That means the 5-door Jimny, even when equipped with bigger tires, metal bumpers, rock sliders, metal plates under the body for protection, a winch, a roof rack, an awning, a water storage tank, storage compartments, and other such components, should be able to tackle off-road obstacles without any issues. If it can do that, then I think it is serving its purpose very well, which means the 5-door Jimny has enough power.

I think people are saying that the 5-door Jimny is underpowered because other cars that cost INR 18,00,000 (which is the expected on-road price of the 5-door Jimny for the top-end automatic variant) have engines that are more powerful than the one in the 5-door Jimny. Yes, the 5-door Jimny has less power compared to most vehicles in the same price range. But here's the thing: The 5-door Jimny comes with a ladder frame chassis, a 4WD system, a low-range transfer case, and solid axles at the front and rear, which, the other vehicles in the same price range don't offer. So, while the 5-door Jimny may have less power, it also comes with structural and mechanical components that other cars in the same price range don't have. Why aren't people considering that?

So, the first thing is that the 5-door Jimny has enough power to serve the purpose this vehicle is meant for, which is tackling off-road. Secondly, yes, the 5-door Jimny has less power than other cars in the same price range. That's why this vehicle will not be as fast or as fun to drive in the city or on the highway compared to other cars in the same price range. But here's the thing that everyone seems to be missing. The 5-door Jimny isn't meant for offering a fast or fun-to-drive experience in the city or on the highway. So, why are people blaming the 5-door Jimny for not being able to do something that it isn't meant to do? I think the reason behind that is people want a vehicle that is good at off-roading, good in the city and on the highway, and also budget-friendly. Well, you know what? You are expecting too much. That's the issue.

If you have a budget of around INR 18,00,000, and you want a powerful vehicle, go for cars like the Hyundai Venue, Kia Sonet, Tata Nexon, Mahindra XUV300, Mahindra XUV700, Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos, Volkswagen Taigun, Skoda Kushaq, Volkswagen Virtus, and Skoda Slavia. But if you want a vehicle that's meant for off-roading, while also having 5 doors, the 5-door Jimny is your only option. Now, if you want a powerful vehicle that's good at off-roading and also has 5 doors, you have to increase your budget. You can't expect to get everything at INR 18,00,000. You have to compromise on power to get an off-road capable vehicle, and similarly, you have to compromise on off-road capabilities if you want more power. The choice is yours. But don't blame a vehicle just because it isn't fulfilling your unrealistic dreams.

2. The 5-Door Jimny Has A 4-Speed Automatic Gearbox, Which Is Slow, Inefficient, And Not Fun To Drive. That Means It Will Be Bad For City And Highway. It Will Be A Deal-Breaker For Most People. Why Didn’t Suzuki Go For The 6-Speed Automatic?

Generally, a torque converter automatic gearbox is considered the best type of automatic gearbox for an off-road vehicle. I'll not discuss why this type of gearbox is the best because then we'd be diverting from the main topic. As far as I know, Suzuki has two torque converter gearboxes available globally: a 4-speed torque converter gearbox and a 6-speed torque converter gearbox.

Now, among the two, only the 4-speed unit offers the option to lock the gearbox in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears, and the ability to do is extremely important for an off-road vehicle. That's the first reason why Suzuki has opted for the 4-speed torque converter instead of the 6-speed torque converter for the 5-door Jimny, in my opinion. I don't know why only the 4-speed unit has the option to hold gears and why the 6-speed unit doesn't. I guess that the 4-speed torque converter is very simple (has fewer components that can fail) and that’s why it can withstand the heavy pressure that 5-door Jimny could put on it when off-roading, and the 6-speed torque converter might not be capable of withstanding that pressure.

Anyway, the second reason for Suzuki to opt for this gearbox is the manufacturing cost. The 4-speed torque converter is most likely more affordable to manufacture than the 6-speed torque converter. Upgrading to a 6-speed gearbox might have increased the cost of the vehicle (around INR 25,000 to INR 50,000, I guess), and that might have made the 5-door Jimny lose its competitiveness over its rivals. That's why Suzuki might have opted for the 4-speed unit instead of the 6-speed unit for the 5-door Jimny. Either way, we have gotten the 4-speed torque converter in the 5-door Jimny in India.

There are two shortcomings of this gearbox. First, the gearbox, due to the lack of more gears. might not offer an in-gear acceleration as good as that offered by other cars in the same price range (the ones that have more gears). Secondly, the gearbox, due to the lack of more gears, might make the engine run at a higher RPM at certain speeds compared to other cars in the segment (the ones that have more gears).

That means the 5-door Jimny might not accelerate at a very fast pace in the city. However, that’s fine with me because I’m sure that it will be fast enough for day-to-day city driving. It might also not be very quick at overtaking cars on highways. However, that’s also not an issue for me because I think it will have enough power to make a comfortable overtake. The point is, the 5-door Jimny might not be very fast but it also won’t be slow enough to irritate you or put you in any danger (while overtaking cars on highways, I mean). Plus, as I mentioned earlier, the 5-door Jimny isn’t meant for high-speed city or highway driving. It is an off-roader.

Do I wish the car had a 6-speed torque converter gearbox? Yes, I do. Do I think Suzuki should’ve opted for the 6-speed gearbox even if it meant an increase in the price of the car of around INR 25,000 to INR 50,000? Yes, I think so because INR 25,000 or INR 50,000 isn’t a big amount of money for people buying a car of this class, and I think people would’ve accepted the increased price tag if the car came with a 6-speed torque converter gearbox. But we have a 4-speed torque converter gearbox. So, is that a deal breaker for me? Nope. It isn’t. I know that the 5-door Jimny, although a little more sluggish than the rivals, might be comfortable enough to drive in the city and on the highway. It will be slow but it won’t be very slow.

3. Why Does The 5-Door Jimny Have A Solid Front Axle? Solid Front Axle Is Bad. Independent Front Suspension Is Good.

A solid axle is much better than an independent suspension when it comes to off-roading.

For starters, a solid axle, because of the way it is constructed, is more durable than an independent suspension. During off-roading, the pressure that's exerted upon a solid axle or an independent suspension is much higher than the pressure exerted while driving on paved roads. So, that means a solid axle will be more reliable during off-roading due to which it will have fewer chances of breakage or failure compared to an independent suspension. Secondly, a solid axle has a construction that is less complex compared to an independent suspension, which means that even if a solid axle fails, it will be easier and more affordable to repair than an independent suspension.

The next thing that we need to discuss is the difference between the level of customisation that you can perform on a solid axle and an independent suspension. Typically, off-road enthusiasts install bigger tires, suspension lift kits, and mechanical differential lockers on their vehicles, among other things. Now, installing those components is a lot easier with a solid front axle compared to an independent suspension. An independent suspension allows you to upgrade the size of the tire and increase the height of the suspension to a very less extent compared to a solid axle. In other words, you can install much bigger tires and suspension lift kits with a solid axle than you can with an independent suspension. Also, the availability of differential lockers for solid axles is much better compared to that for an independent suspension. That means if the 5-door Jimny had an independent suspension, it would have been possible that there wouldn't have been any differential lockers available for it. But since it has a solid axle, there are many differential lockers available for it.

So, one thing is clear, no matter which way you look at it, a solid axle is better than an independent suspension for off-roading. That's the main reason why off-road-focused vehicles like Jeep Wrangler have solid axles at both ends. Now, if a manufacturer wants to make a serious off-road vehicle, should it go for a solid axle or an independent suspension? What do you think? A solid axle, right? That's what Suzuki has done with the 5-door Jimny. I think people consider a solid axle to be bad because of two reasons. First and foremost, mainstream media has brainwashed them to think that a solid axle is bad. Secondly, they are missing the point that the 5-door Jimny is an off-road-focused vehicle and not an on-road-focused vehicle.

4. Due To Solid Front Axle, 5-Door Jimny Will Have A Bad Ride Quality And It Will Bounce A Lot While Driving, Especially On Highways. It Will Be A Deal Breaker For Everyone.

Yes, the 5-door Jimny will have a bad ride quality when driving on paved roads compared to some other cars in the same price range, such as the Hyundai Venue, Kia Sonet, Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos, Volkswagen Taigun, and Skoda Kushaq. But like I mentioned several times earlier, the 5-door Jimny isn't meant for conquering city roads and highways. It is focused towards off-roading. So, while the 5-door Jimny will have bad ride quality on paved roads, it will be way better than other cars in the same price range when driving off-road.

5. The 5-Door Jimny Is A Soft/Casual Off-Roader/Lifestyle Vehicle/More Rugged Alternative To Brezza/Hyryder; It Is Not A Serious Off-Roader. It Can’t Go Places That Thar Can Go.

This is the most irritating statement I've been reading on the internet. People are most likely thinking that the 5-door Jimny is not a serious off-roader (and that it is some "casual off-reader and lifestyle vehicle") because:

1. The 5-door Jimny comes from Suzuki, which is a brand that is not associated with offering performance-oriented or enthusiast-oriented vehicles.
2. The 5-door Jimny is a small car (dimension-wise), which is exactly opposite of other off-road-focused vehicles, which are longer, wider, taller, and have a more rugged look compared to vehicles that are meant to be driven on paved roads.
3. The 5-door Jimny comes with smaller tires and a smaller engine compared to what you get with other off-road-focused vehicles.
4. Mainstream media has brainwashed people into thinking that the 5-door Jimny is not a serious off-road vehicle. They have made people believe that the 5-door Jimny is like this "cute" vehicle that you can, on rare occasions, take for some soft/casual off-roading.
5. People haven't researched the 5-door Jimny properly before making up an image of the vehicle in their minds.

Typically, a vehicle needs to have a few basic things for it to be considered a serious off-roader. These things include a ladder frame chassis, a longitudinally mounted engine, a 4WD system with a low-range transfer case, large off-road-focused tires, high ground clearance, good approach, departure, and break-over angles, solid axles at the front and the rear, mechanically locking differentials, and good visibility of the surroundings from inside the car. The 5-door Jimny has all those things, except for large off-road-focused tires and mechanically-locking differentials, which, you can install on both ends after purchasing the vehicle, thanks to solid axles at the front and rear. That makes the 5-door Jimny a serious off-road vehicle.

People are somehow overlooking all these things and calling the 5-door Jimny to be a “casual off-roader and a lifestyle vehicle”. I've even read comments where people are considering the Mahindra Thar to be a "poor people's Jeep Wrangler" and the 5-door Jimny to be a "poor people's Mahindra Thar". These tags seem ridiculous to me. They not only portray the 5-door Jimny as an inferior vehicle compared to the Thar but they also portray the 5-door Jimny as trying to be something that it isn't.

From what angle do you think that the 5-door Jimny is a "poor people's Mahindra Thar"? Does the Thar have 5 doors? Nope. That's where the argument ends. The Thar is a 3-door vehicle and Jimny is a 5-door vehicle. Both are different cars. But just for the sake of argument, let’s discuss some other points. Has Suzuki copied the styling of the Thar? Nope (the 5-door Jimny was launched two years before the Thar made its debut). Do they have similar engines? Nope. Does the Thar have solid axles at the front and rear like the 5-door Jimny? Nope. Do they have similar interiors or sets of features? Nope.

If anything, I consider the 5-door Jimny to be a more off-road-focused vehicle than the Thar. That's because I can install differential lockers on the front axle of the 5-door Jimny, but I can't install it on the front axle of the Thar. Do you know how much difference a differential locker makes while off-roading? Go to YouTube and search for it. You will get your answer.

Yes, the Thar has a more powerful engine than the 5-door Jimny. However, the 5-door Jimny is 500 kg lighter than the Thar, which means it needs less power to tackle the same obstacle, and as I said earlier, the 5-door Jimny has all the power it needs to tackle off-road obstacles comfortably. Yes, the Thar also has more ground clearance but I can install a suspension lift kit on the 5-door Jimny any day, and increase the ground clearance. Yes, the Thar also has bigger tires, but I can install those too on the 5-door Jimny. The bottom line is that you can install all the things on the 5-door Jimny that it is missing compared to the Thar but the Thar can't have all the things that the 5-door Jimny is offering, which is a solid front axle and the ability to install a differential locker on it.

I mean no offence to the owners of the Thar. I am in no way saying that the Thar is less capable than the 5-door Jimny. But I am also saying that the 5-door Jimny if equipped with larger off-road-focused tyres (and probably differential lockers), will be as capable as the Thar or most other off-road-focused vehicles out there. Just to be clear, I love the Thar. I considered buying one myself but then I can’t take my family around in it. So, I dropped the plan. I could’ve waited for the 5-door Thar but I know it will be around INR 22,00,000 to INR 23,00,000, which is out of my budget. Plus, I know that it will not have a solid front axle, which is something that I want, and that’s why I prefer the 5-door Jimny over the 3-door Thar and the 5-door Thar.

6. People Who Want A ‘Lifestyle Vehicle’ But Never Go Off-Road Will Buy 5-Door Jimny Because Of ‘FOMO’ From Buying An SUV, To Go With The Trend, And To Show Off That They Have A ‘Jeep Thing’. They Will Regret Later Because 5-Door Jimny Will Have A Bad Ride Quality Due To Ladder Frame Chassis And Solid Front Axle, And Will Lack Features.

This statement imposes that everyone who will buy the 5-door Jimny will be a person who doesn't know anything about off-roading, who will never go off-roading, and who will buy this vehicle only to show off that they have an "SUV" or a "Jeep thing". Well, that's wrong. I'm someone who not only loves off-roading but who has extensive experience driving the Mahindra CJ500 D 4WD, Mahindra MM540 DI 2WD, and Mahindra MM550 2WD off-road, and I am planning to get the 5-door Jimny. I am sure that there are many people just like me on this forum and in this country, who will buy the 5-door Jimny because they love off-roading, have experience with off-roading, and know what they are buying (or getting into). So, generalizing people buying the 5-door Jimny isn't a good thing.

Of course, there will be people who will buy the 5-door Jimny just because they want to show off that they have an "SUV" or a "Jeep thing". After all, this is a Maruti Suzuki car we are talking about. People buy anything and everything that this brand offers because, in their minds, buying a car from Maruti Suzuki can't go wrong. If they want to buy the 5-door Jimny to show off then that's fine too. Who are we to stop them or judge them? It's their money after all. Anyway, will these people regret the decision of buying the 5-door Jimny because it will have a bad ride quality on paved roads and due to the lack of features? Well, I don't think so. In my opinion, most people who will be buying the 5-door Jimny, without knowing what kind of a vehicle it is, will also lack the knowledge to know what good ride quality feels like.

But yes, there will be some people who might regret the decision of purchasing the 5-door Jimny. These people might sell their vehicles, and this could be a good chance for true off-road enthusiasts to grab the 5-door Jimny at a lower price.

7. Very Few People Take A Vehicle Off-Road. Most People Drive A Vehicle In City And On Highway. So, A Vehicle Should Be More Focused On Performing Good In City And On Highway Rather Than On Off-Road. Else, It Won’t Sell Well.

That is indeed true. Most people drive a vehicle in a city or on a highway. They might only drive over bad roads when they visit tourist destinations, like Shimla, Manali, and places of that sort. That's why a vehicle that's focused on offering good ride quality in a city or on a highway (ones with monocoque chassis, independent suspension, an FWD system, and lots of features related to comfort and convenience) will always sell better than vehicles that are focused towards off-road performance. Take the Force Gurkha 5-door (which is currently not on sale) and Hyundai Create for example. Even though both the vehicles were priced similarly when the 5-door Gurkha was on sale, the Creat sold in much larger quantities than the 5-door Gurkha.

But what about people who love off-roading and want to buy vehicles that they can take off-road? What about people, who, even if they go on bad roads only when they visit tourist destinations, want a vehicle that can go anywhere? Do they not deserve the car that they want? The 5-door Jimny is precisely for those kinds of people. It is for people like me who want a truly off-road-focused vehicle that costs under INR 20,00,000 and can accommodate four or five people. So, no, not every vehicle should be focused towards performing well in a city and on a highway. There must be cars on offer that are mainly good for off-roading because there are people who want such cars.

If you don’t go off-road, you can buy a car like the Hyundai Venue, Kia Sonet, Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos, Volkswagen Virtus, or Skoda Slavia. But please don’t impose that every vehicle should suit the needs of the majority of people. Some people want different vehicles than those desired by the majority of the public. I am one of them. Many people on this forum are among them. For us, the 5-door Jimny suits us perfectly. We have the budget for only one car, and we want that one car to be a serious off-roader (so that we can go to off-roading events and plan trips that involve serious off-roading), have five doors, accommodate four or five people (apart from them, their spouse and parents or children), and cost under INR 20,00,000.

Since the 5-door Jimny comes from Maruti Suzuki, people will buy it for sure, no matter even if they don’t need an off-road vehicle. So, the 5-door Jimny, even though will suffer from bad ride quality on paved roads and lacks features, will sell in high numbers. But even if it doesn’t sell well, why do you care? Are you at a loss here? Sometimes brands launch vehicles that are focused towards the needs of a particular group of people. Suzuki has done that with the launch of the 5-door Jimny. Even if it doesn’t sell in high numbers, Suzuki might have no problem. It may just want to have an enthusiast vehicle on offer. Look at cars from Ferrari for example. They sell only in a handful of quantities and still, the brand is alive and selling cars. So, even if the 5-door Jimny sells in low quantities, people shouldn’t have a problem.

8. Suzuki Is Planning To Price The 5-Door Jimny Around INR 18,00,000 On-Road. That’s A Lot Of Money For This Vehicle. The 5-Door Jimny Is Neither As Big Nor As Powerful As Thar. It Also Doesn’t Come With Many Features. It Should’ve Been Priced Around INR 15,00,000 On-Road. With An On-Road Price Of INR 18,00,000, It Will Be Dead On Arrival.

First of all, the Thar costs upwards of INR 20,00,000. Secondly, it has only three doors. So, comparing the Thar with the 5-door Jimny, which is expected to cost around INR 18,00,000 on road, and more importantly, has 5 doors, is plain stupid. Both vehicles have different audiences. In my opinion, neither of them is bad. They are just targeted towards different types of people. If you want to compare the Thar with the 5-door Jimny, you should be comparing the upcoming 5-door variant of the Thar with the 5-door Jimny. As I said earlier, the 3-door Thar costs upwards of INR 20,00,000, which means that the upcoming 5-door variant of the Thar will be priced around INR 22,00,000 or INR 23,00,000.

When you compare the 5-door Jimny with the 5-door Thar, the upcoming 5-door Thar will come out as being INR 5,00,000 costlier than the 5-door Jimny. For that extra INR 5,00,000, it will offer a longer chassis (which means more space), a more powerful engine, a better gearbox, and fatter tyres. You will have to pay an additional INR 5,00,000 to get the extra stuff. If you don’t want to pay that premium, the 5-door Jimny will be a good option. Both vehicles have different audiences. You can’t compare them. Now, as for the price of the 5-door Jimny, I think an on-road price of around INR 18,00,000 is justifiable for the vehicle. Here’s my point of view.

Most SUVs that are under four meters in length, which include the Hyundai Venue, Kia Sonet, Mahindra XUV300, Tata Nexon, and Maruti Suzuki Brezza, are priced around INR 16,50,000 on average for their top-end petrol variants. Compared to those vehicles, the 5-door Jimny has four additional structural and mechanical components: a ladder frame chassis, a 4WD system, a low-range transfer case, and solid axles at the front and rear. Here’s my guess at the cost of the additional components that the 5-door Jimny is offering over the other SUVs:

A. Ladder frame chassis - INR 1,00,000
B. 4WD system with low-range transfer case - INR 1,00,000
C. Solid axles at the front and rear - INR 50,000

So, let’s assume that most four-meter SUVs cost around INR 16,50,000 on average for their top-end petrol variants. Now, the 5-door Jimny is offering additional components worth INR 2,50,000 over those SUVs. If you add that cost to the average price of a sub-four-meter SUV, the price of the 5-door Jimny will be INR 19,00,000. But then the 5-door Jimny misses out on many features related to comfort and convenience that other SUVs offer. I am considering the price of that equipment to be around INR 1,00,000. So, if you subtract INR 1,00,000 (the price of features related to comfort and convenience) from INR 19,00,000 (the price of the 5-door Jimny if it had all the features that other SUVs are offering), you will have remained INR 18,00,000. That’s exactly how much the 5-door Jimny is expected to be priced at. I don’t know why people are expecting it to cost around INR 15,00,000 on-road. That makes no sense. You have to consider all the stuff that the 5-door Jimny is offering.

With an on-road price of INR 18,00,000, will people think that the 5-door Jimny is overpriced? Well, the opinion will be split. Some people might say “cars like Venue, Sonet, XUV300, and Nexon cost upwards of INR 16,00,000. The 5-door Jimny has a 4WD system that those cars don’t have. So, the extra price is justified.” Some people might say “the 5-door Jimny has very less features compared to cars like Venue, Sonet, XUV300, and Nexon. So, it should be priced below INR 16,00,000 on road”. So, even though many people might cancel their decision to buy the 5-door Jimny after looking at its price tag, many people will go through with the purchase. So, no, I don’t think that the 5-door Jimny will be dead on arrival.

9. Why Should Anyone Buy The 5-Door Jimny At INR 18,00,000? Most People Should Go For The 3-Door Or The 5-Door Thar At That Price As They Are Bigger And More Powerful. Others Should Opt For Brezza Or Hyryder As They Offer More Features For A Similar Price.

As I said earlier, the 5-door Thar is expected to be priced around INR 22,00,000 or INR 23,00,000 on road. That means, the 5-door Jimny, which is expected to be priced at INR 18,00,000 on road, will be INR 5,00,000 cheaper than the 5-door Thar. Now, INR 5,00,000 is a big amount. For someone who can’t spend an additional INR 5,00,000, the 5-door Jimny would make total sense for them. So, yes, the 5-door Jimny will make sense for many people even when the 5-door Thar goes on sale.

As for the 3-door Thar, let’s not compare it with the 5-door Jimny. That’s because someone who wants to take their family around in the vehicle will choose the 5-door Jimny over the 3-door Thar any day. It wouldn’t make sense for that person to buy the 3-door Thar because rear passengers will have to get in and out from the front doors which many people, especially elders, are not comfortable with. So, no, not everyone will prefer a 3-door Thar over a 5-door Jimny. There will be people for whom 5-door Jimny will be much better than the 3-door Thar.

10. Why Is Suzuki Taking Such A Long Time To Launch The 5-Door Jimny In India?

I started writing this post almost a month ago when Suzuki hadn’t launched the 5-door Jimny in India. Back then people were talking about Suzuki taking a very long time to bring the Jimny to the market, and that’s why I thought I should mention the topic in my post. Now that the 5-door Jimny is official, and the bookings for the vehicle are also open, this topic doesn’t make much sense in my post. However, many people might still be wondering why Suzuki hasn’t announced the price and the availability of the vehicle during its launch at Auto Expo 2023. Well, being a technology journalist, who works closely with consumer electronics brands, I have a pretty good idea why brands nowadays are launching the product first and announcing the price of the vehicle at a later date.

Typically, brands release the information in phases mainly to create hype around the product before it lands in the market. For example, if they announce all the details in one day, news publications will write only one article about the product, which will contain all the details. However, if brands release information in multiple phases, news publications will write multiple articles about the product, with each mentioning the details announced on that day. Having multiple articles published across many weeks will result in the information about the existence f the product reaching more people. Since more people will know about the product by the time it launches, the product will sell in higher quantities at the time of launch. If the product sells in higher quantities at the time of launch, brands can show those numbers to attract more people to buy the product. This is a normal practice that smartphone brands have been following for many years, and now, automobile brands have also started adopting this practice.

A few additional things that I want to mention:

1. The 5-door Jimny, even if it costs INR 18,00,000 on road for the top-end automatic variant, will offer exceptional value for money. That’s because the 5-door Jimny can be the only vehicle you own and it will allow you to carry out multiple tasks while carrying your family. These things include travelling within a city (going to the office and carrying out day-to-day chores), travelling on highways, going to tourist destinations where only serious off-road vehicles can travel, going through flood-affected roads without worrying about the vehicle stalling in between knees-deep water, modifying the vehicle for camping purpose, and even attending off-road events.

2. The 5-door Jimny will be the only vehicle under INR 18,00,000, which will offer serious off-roading capabilities while being able to carry four or five people. The 5-door Jimny will also be the only vehicle under INR 18,00,000, which will allow you to install metal bumpers, rock sliders, metal plates under the body for protection, snorkel, bigger tyres, suspension lift kits, differential lockers on both the axles, winch, roof rack, roof tent, awning, and many such things, while also being able to carry four or five people around.

3. Even though my post seems pro-Jimny, I am not a Maruti Suzuki fan. So, don’t blame me for one. I am just pointing out what I thought is right. I own the Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT GTX Plus (2022). My father has the Maruti Suzuki Ritz ZXi manual (2009), and my brother owns the Volkswagen Vento 1.2 TSI DSG Highline Plus (2018). Tomorrow I am visiting the Nexa showroom in Gachibowli, Hyderabad to book the 5-door Jimny (Alpha AT) and ask for the trade-in valuation of my Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT GTX Plus.

Last edited by AbidIqbalShaik : 15th January 2023 at 18:48. Reason: Added a few points.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 18:56   #149
BHPian

Loved how only premium trims brought in India

Only thing missed is the Heated Seats
Old 15th January 2023, 20:56   #150
BHPian

Quote:
You are questioning the very basis of Japanese "philosophy and ethics of design and production".

Products/ solutions with deficiency/ niggles should not leave production floor/ workdesk. If I have doubt- recheck, redesign, retest, revalidate it. It is as simple as this.

There is a small problem though- we have smart vendors/ sub-vendors in India who are threats to this simple and straightforward philosophy! "Cheating, malpractice" are the words I write in RCAs, which drowns me in shame as an Indian.
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks