Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2023, 10:55   #166
BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

"But, I do hope it could take us to remote monuments, dark skies, scenic mountains and camping spots to make some memories that's worth more than having a fancy badge with a sunroof in the garage.There are places I wanna go and things I wanna experience. With my wife and daughter this time. And, I want a vehicle that wouldn't come in the way of that."

well said brother. Many would agree with you.
murlidar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 11:05   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Here are a few interesting numbers relating to Jimny.

WIDTH

Jimny- 1645mm
Wagon R- 1620mm
Ignis- 1690mm

It's a bit startling to see that the Ignis is the widest of the lot whereas Wagon-R is the narrowest. Jimny slots right in between the two. I don't think anyone will disagree with the fact that Wagon-R's rear bench is spacious enough to seat 3 adults with more than reasonable comfort. However Ignis's rear bench isn't a happy place to be in for 3 adults especially for a prolonged period. Just like how we cannot judge a book by its cover, it would serve well to not judge interior space of a car just by looking at its dimensions.
Thank you putting the numbers. The reason Ignis seat is narrower could be because it has a wee bit more safety built into the design. So, there is some gap between the seat and the door, and the door themselves are thicker. Now, you apply the same lens to Jimmy, it appears that Jimmy has narrow(er) doors, with seats placed right next to it. For curtain airbags to operate in this tight space, they also need to be narrow and short in size. Overall, nothing to complain, but that is what you'd get.

Btw, with Jimmy launch, I am expecting Espresso owners to upgrade tier grills to "Jimnyfy" their Espressos.
WhiteKnight is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 11:06   #168
BHPian

For those who are thinking of AT vs MT version of the Jimny, please have a look at the video below. To summarize the AT is a super slouch of an engine/transmission combo. So, unless you are going to predominantly using it in the city as an urban commuter, I suggest skip the AT and go for MT.

murlidar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 11:22   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Expect it to be 2-3 star only.
Thanks purohitanuj. If they price it like a Wagon-R it makes sense to buy with that rating. If they price it 15L+ not sure if its a wise decision considering the car will see a lot of highways as a part of touring. I really like this car because its small and with necessary capabilities, unfortunately safety is my first priority. No safety No Go.

For those who are ready to buy this irrespective of the safety rating, I would not call your decision bad, as its a better reliable package at the price point than those pseudo SUVs sold by Hyundai at gold rates.

Also 4x4 gearbox aside, If it doesn't have a locking differential (MLD,BLD,LSD) it aint an SUV, just an imposter.
skyocean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 11:45   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyocean View Post
Also 4x4 gearbox aside, If it doesn't have a locking differential (MLD,BLD,LSD) it aint an SUV, just an imposter.
I don't think this statement is Right. Many of the proven 4x4 machines or popular SUVs did not have the so-called MLD, BLD or LSD. Jimny is a very well designed car for those who really want to go Off-road. Mahindras and Tata's, the backbone of the Indian transport system have given us so many robust vehicles, that actually took people to remote places and they were without any type of locker or traction control. The only thing they had was a proper 4x4 system with BOF construction & solid axles.

The Indian market is full of Imposters, believe me Jimny is not going to be the one.
Slushmaster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 12:03   #171
BHPian

Quote:
This does come with BLSD (Brake Limited Slip Differential)
Here's a screenshot from brochure.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot_2023011612004852_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
LokiPilaniya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 12:18   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidar View Post
This looks promising. But Power Drive Australia is a well established youtube channel. So, not sure which one to believe.

But, if the performance is good, then I will be more than happy.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 12:25   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
A. Suzuki cannot give it rating. Suzuki can work in direction to get 5 star rating.
B. Old rating for the 3 door has been 3 star. I dont see a reason to get better for 5 door. Would be much worse as the 3 star rating had camera based autonomous braking and warning system with lan guidance assistance.
C. Don’t expect Jimny to be a touring vehicle. It is a niche purpose car; thats all.
Expect it to be 2-3 star only.
Unlikely to achieve three stars again in the latest crash ratings. The 3 star results were achieved at launch 5 years ago.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 12:54   #174
BANNED

Quote:
AT version of the Jimny, is a super slouch of an engine/transmission combo.
Really! For me 12.2 sec for 0-100 km/hr for Jimny is fast. I drive a DCT which does 0-100 in 10.4 sec and that is really fast if you know how to drive. I wouldn’t want a vehicle like Jimny to do 0-100 in less than 10 secs, it would be really scary with it higher ground clearance. If you are comparing with Thar, it’s only the Petrol version that can clock less than 11 secs, even that can’t outrun my vehicle except in a straight line. Jimny’s purpose is not to outrun sedans by an imagination and whoever buys it for that purpose will be disappointed like hell. Only a maniac would need such a fast Jimny!
The Rationalist is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 13:10   #175
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
To summarize the AT is a super slouch of an engine/transmission combo.urban commuter, I suggest skip the AT and go for MT.
Quote:
unfortunately safety is my first priority. No safety No Go.
@murlidar
I wouldn’t go so far as to call the AT gearbox a ‘super slouch’ without having driven it yet. Not would I rate this purely on the 0-100 timing. The purpose of this vehicle is NOT akin to a sports car. And for an Urban commuter vehicle specifically on the lousy roads and heavy traffic of our cities in this present day, I would most certainly not reommend an MT.

@skyocean
The point ref safety will have to await approbation post the proper safety tests. And one good thing is that it comes with 6 airbags and electronic stability control and so on. I would not agree with this statement which says no MLD, BLD, LSD therefore its not an SUV but only an imposter etc. The new Jimny seems to have proven itself more than adequately indeed, in multiple off-road scenarios. And it is decidedly NOT a wannabe SUV like most of the soft roaders and raised hatches out there which are posing as SUV’s, are.

Rather than condemn it out of hand sight-unseen pre-launch itself, let us wait for the vehicle, test drive it, try it out, wait for some competent reviewer and owner reviews in the Indian context and then form an impression whether it is good or bad.
shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 13:30   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it a case of people liking a car based on emotions and putting the other car down by logical nitpicking?
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 13:40   #177
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Is it a case of people liking a _________ based on emotions and putting the other ________ down by logical nitpicking?
Just regular life ....
One is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 14:02   #178
BHPian

Which colour will be good for a long term or full lifetime ownership of the Jimny? Whether Kinetic Yellow will be very difficult to maintain or look dull in long term?

I would have loved the Ivory colour or sand brown/ desert brown or jungle green colour. However, there is no such options available for the Indian Jimny.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 14:04   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Jimny’s purpose is not to outrun sedans by an imagination and whoever buys it for that purpose will be disappointed like hell. Only a maniac would need such a fast Jimny!
Very true. But such is the level of immaturity in our country today that you will see several videos of people doing drag races vs other cars, most of them young boys, who probably have not even earned money on their own to buy any decent car, but drive around like lords.
fhdowntheline is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 14:24   #180
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
But, I do hope it could take us to remote monuments, dark skies, scenic mountains and camping spots to make some memories that's worth more than having a fancy badge with a sunroof in the garage.
Beautifully articulated sentiment which resonates with many of us here. I think this little Jimny will easily fulfill this request above. Indeed, so will the 5 door Thar.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks