Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2023, 16:14   #286
BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDrive View Post
Indians are desperate for 3 Doors Jimny and Australians want 5 Doors Jimny! Strange wants and needs of human beings, humans can't be satisfied with what is there with them.
Cult following is the reason, in Australia they have it for the 3 door. Overland culture there requires a bigger car so they are eyeing on the 5 door version.

Here in India if there's cult following then it's for either Thar or gypsy. Even few gypsy owners are not accepting Jimny as gypsy replacement.
When new Thar launched we all know how bookings went vs how it's going for Jimny as of now.

You can judge by the response for Jimny 5 door in Auto Expo. Many people were saying it's too small. Everyone is not a off roader and doesn't require short wheel base small car.

And again we will see the truth when the Thar 5 door will launch.

For Jimny it's on MSIL how they price it. Anything above 14-14.5L on-road for Alpha AT and it will struggle to sell. I may be wrong but that's what I feel about this car.

Even after taking so much time to launch 5 door, I'm not sure what stopped them to make Jimny a little wider. Enough to make it a proper 5 seater.

Time will tell better. Hope this little car in India do wonders.

There are more people in the market for one car do it all vs 2-3 cars, one for city, one for highway and one for off-roading.
LokiPilaniya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 17:39   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPilaniya View Post
Here in India if there's cult following then it's for either Thar or gypsy. Even few gypsy owners are not accepting Jimny as gypsy replacement.
When new Thar launched we all know how bookings went vs how it's going for Jimny as of now.

You can judge by the response for Jimny 5 door in Auto Expo. Many people were saying it's too small. Everyone is not a off roader and doesn't require short wheel base small car.

And again we will see the truth when the Thar 5 door will launch.

A lot of this has to do with the PR. While MSIL invests minimal in PR and launch. MnM has a proper protocol, machinery which starts 2 years in advance.

First news articles , then code name comes out in papers followed by spy camouflage pics , followed by on road easily spotted presence, then leaked spy shots which are slightly stretched or low light.

Maruti, comes to Expo Jimny 5 door voila !

To answer the question why it took them longer, well Thar came with cramped non functional second row, post hype people started voicing, that demand segment got created where Thar was priced functionality offered, eventually making Jimny 5 Door supply meaningful.

Also remember if it's Thar vs Gypsy/Jimny despite the Diesel Suv era Suzuki florished with Petrol Gypsy and GV, both kings of Raid/Rally.

Platform wise, Jimny is bare bones. IF priced right 13L bracket max it is in a sweet spot which will introduce whole lot of customizability which are under radar.

Known engine means Mechanics are already trained on it i.e. non service center ones also means easy mechanical repairs, hence the long game is a win win

Not a fan of MSIL sheet quality, so much so that after Baleno decided to Tap out of Maruti, this might be the bait which keeps me hooked.

That being said Mahindra staff at dealer nd service center isn't hospitable. MSIL forget Nexa , Arena showroom itself will make you feel special even if you go in for Alto.

Let it be known I do not like MSIL for providing sub par sheet and build vs their export and Japan manufactured vehicles.

A mechanical ingenuity is and should be promoted else like the killed the original GV they might scuttle this too.
Old 19th January 2023, 18:41   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Averaging around ~ 1000+ bookings a day, Maruti Suzuki Jimny bookings cross 9000. .

Jimny's counterpart at the Auto Expo, FRONX garners 2500 numbers as bookings for both models are brisk.

Quote:
Now, Maruti Suzuki revealed that the Jimny and the Fronx have garnered 9,000 and 2,500 confirmed bookings within a week respectively.
Quote:
Upon launch, the Fronx will be Maruti’s most affordable sub-compact SUV while the Jimny 5-door will be positioned between the Brezza and the Grand Vitara.

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th January 2023 at 18:43.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 18:52   #289
BHPian

Jimny will stand no way in front of the muscular Thar and not sure why people want to compare this miniature with the beast. It looks sporty, but also gives vibes of a toy car in this green colour. I agree that Thar is a photocopy of Indianised Wrangler, but somehow hard to imagine Jimny as an offroader.
Old 19th January 2023, 19:26   #290
th2
BHPian

Booked a Jimny AT to replace my Ignis AMT. Will take a final call after a test ride. While I don’t expect a plush ride, as long as it is a major improvement over the erstwhile Gypsy, will go ahead.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th January 2023 at 20:05. Reason: Typo
th2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 20:32   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocratic1107 View Post
Jimny will stand no way in front of the muscular Thar and not sure why people want to compare this miniature with the beast. It looks sporty, but also gives vibes of a toy car in this green colour. I agree that Thar is a photocopy of Indianised Wrangler, but somehow hard to imagine Jimny as an offroader.
From what I have come across in Youtube, Jimny's fitted with air lockers will be as good as or even better than the new gen Thar. Youtube and Instpage "The Little Rig" is such an example, it's crazy what the little vehicle is capable of doing.

If we talk about real offroading, most of the people who does real offroading will customize the vehicle to go for "Real Offroading". I feel Jimny have an advantage here because of the wide range of aftermarket parts available across over the globe. We shouldn't be looking at Jimny as a toy car just because it's small in size.
GT145 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 21:15   #292
BHPian

Quote:
but somehow hard to imagine Jimny as an offroader.
Maybe the below video will help you with your imagination.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 20th January 2023 at 17:37. Reason: Updating link
casnov is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 21:46   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Jimny will hold its own and more, in-fact it will beat Thar in many off-road situations. The miniature size of Jimny is its strength and not weakness.
It is a purpose built off-road vehicle which many people will also like to have as a lifestyle vehicle. MS has a winner at their hands if they price it well.
Zanskar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 21:47   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton Ami View Post
It seems Maruti will be playing optimistically safe with Jimny pricing. Since there are only Zeta and Alpha variants at launch time so premium pricing is expected.
However, they may follow any of the two strategies:
Your views are logical and I largely agree. However, I have a feeling that Maruti might price the Jimny competitively / aggressively.

1. Despite retailing their 'premium' offerings via NEXA outlets, Maruti is undoubtedly a volume player and rarely toys with niche market. By bringing in the 5-door version, it is clear that they are looking at a sizeable volume. Otherwise, they would have simply launched the 3-door version to cater the niche market and priced it at a premium.

2. With top spec variants of Wagon-R and Ignis retailing at around ₹8.5 - 9 lakhs on-road, it may be difficult for Maruti to position lower-spec Sigma and Delta variants of the Jimny as the price would overlap with these models. However, pricing the Jimny at around ₹10 lakh for the base trim(Sigma) may also be challenging, as at that price point and slightly above, there are many other options available such as CSUVs, the newly launched Thar (2WD), and premium hatchbacks. Although the Jimny is a unique proposition, it is natural for customers to consider other options and compare prices in this range. That's probably the reason Maruti is offering only two variants Zeta and Alpha which are quite feature loaded for a vehicle of this kind.

I doubt that monthly sales figures of anything below 4000 - 5000 units would keep Maruti enthused. Considering this, my guesstimate says Jimny will be priced (on-road price) at ₹10 - 10.5 lakhs for Zeta manual variant and ₹13 - 13.5 lakhs for the range topping Alpha automatic variant.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th January 2023 at 22:01. Reason: Quote trimmed. Spacing fixed.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 22:14   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
From what I have come across in Youtube, Jimny's fitted with air lockers will be as good as or even better than the new gen Thar. Youtube and Instpage "The Little Rig" is such an example, it's crazy what the little vehicle is capable of doing.

If we talk about real offroading, most of the people who does real offroading will customize the vehicle to go for "Real Offroading". I feel Jimny have an advantage here because of the wide range of aftermarket parts available across over the globe. We shouldn't be looking at Jimny as a toy car just because it's small in size.
Still doubt how it can be a daily commuter (courtesy lame engine options) other than a pure offroader and how many people do you think are true offroader enthusiasts in our country? I still doubt MSL on safety front, as the pictures don't give you the level of confidence, though I am happy to be proven wrong. Let us see how things turn up when it is actually unveiled here officially.
Old 19th January 2023, 22:22   #296
BHPian

Just booked the top version in automatic transmission. Online, so could pick a colour (guess which one? )
Had been planning to pick up a Thar for the longest time, but the horrible fit and finish, rear bench setup, and the NVH levels (given the hard plastic top) just didn't allow me to take a call. Added to it were the Thar's dimensions. I shuttle between Simla and Gurgaon, and have found larger vehicles a real pain to navigate and park.
So, why are the other reasons why I picked the Jimny, even though I haven't even seen it in the skin, let alone having had a go behind the wheel?

1. MSIL - I took my 2016 Brezza Gurgaon - Shimla - Kaza - Kunzum - Manali - Chandigarh - Gurgaon in 21, and the Jeep Compas Gurgaon - Shimla - Kaza - Shimla - Gurgaon. (Plus the umpteen trips to the mountains in the Brezza). Never faced an issue with the car (although it got its front right wiped in a collision just a month or so after being purchased). My only issue was the MT (city traffic or mountain curves, it takes a toll on my left knee). Yes, the Compass (petrol - S) pulled a lot easier from Khab till Nako, but it costs double the Jimny (basis the grapevine costing).

Plus, old gypsies and GVs, although massively modded, are still running rallies so many years post discontinuation, says a lot.

2. Five doors. We don't have kids. Don't want to have them. The rear seats are of very little consequence except for when we want to ferry our parents around town (even if rarely) and move with friends for a night out or so. But even when inconsequential, the contortionist act of getting into Thar's rear seat is ridiculous.

3. Thar's hard top. A continuous metal roof Vs. a slapped on plastic rear section. I have no doubts that the NVH levels will be much better in the Jimny.

4. Smaller engine. I know it goes against everything "moto-enthusiast" but the prices of fuel are ridiculous. I don't want a gas guzzler when most days I am just going to head to the gym and back.

5. The chassis / suspension etc. - I am not an off-road enthusiast. In fact I have a certain distaste for the activity. But anything that is built for off-roading, will (at least in my opinion) handle our absolutely pathetic roads relatively better. The Kalka-Shimla road doesn't look like it will get made in my lifetime, and the random potholes / speed breakers / construction sites are a feature in our country. I want to cringe a little less every time my car wheel slams into one.

6. The headlamp cleaner nozzle - Yes, I'm a child. I get excited by things that I found cool when I was a kid.

7. Controls - Things decidedly look less hi-tech with more dials. knobs and buttons. Call me a luddite, but I've found touchscreen heavy systems not half as intuitive and triple as distracting as clicks and twists.

Think I've covered it all.

What did I not like?

• The sun-visor. I need to find a solution to this. It's horrible being burnt in the subcontinental sun.
• No bottle holders. Seriously? First you let people burn in the sun, and then you want them to dehydrate from the inside? What are we? Italian tomatoes?
• The faux "step". My car cleaning person or someone at the car wash is definitely going to step on there.
• No front parking sensors. They simply make sense.
• No auto-dimming IRVM. This is not 1990, and you're not Lada.

Final note? I hope that being smaller helps the Jimny being disliked by a certain genre of "SUV types". Call me emotional, but that flavour of misplaced hyper-masculinity / aggression is something that I'd actively avoid being associated with.
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 01:21   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDrive View Post
Indians are desperate for 3 Doors Jimny and Australians want 5 Doors Jimny! Strange wants and needs of human beings, humans can't be satisfied with what is there with them.
Not exactly, Mr. Pachota said time ago they Will sell anything With the name Jimny on It

Suzukis are loved in Australia too, they got chassis-cab versions of the samurai/gypsy
wacso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 05:55   #298
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacso View Post
Suzukis are loved in Australia too, they got chassis-cab versions of the samurai/gypsy
The little Suzuki’s are loved. Period.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-32943d2ca58a459392e317471a475668.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-a6f4a2e48212487683873e13b12f1c3d.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-677f1898effb48a09ac5235d1e9aa162.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-b9643d79516f4cbd8eb6e208188a91f3.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-f4070159202546028815db4327785780.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-072fb9c31d434b98ab3ed7cfde358212.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-84ebe1d8a83a483ab613c97c30f302dd.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-6ee77c730bbd45deb5e175cba2df796e.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-3d697611be5d4e0fbe0144ce28e08d62.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-c1e3691ac4c34214ab71b81c4e918816.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-e0a94496be2e47de90c2cbaab779fada.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 06:11   #299
BHPian

In New Zealand I happened to visit a Suzuki dealer to check out a used bike they had on sale. When the sales rep got to know I was from India, he proudly showed me the India made Gypsy being sold as a farm vehicle and he said it is in huge demand although it can only be used on farms and is not road legal.
This was in 2017 and the road legal Jimny was also being sold alongside it. Point being that even Aus-NZ has enough demand for a bigger, cheap to maintain utilitarian 4x4 vehicle. They love their Suzukis and so do we!
Zanskar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 07:24   #300
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanskar View Post
In New Zealand I happened to visit a Suzuki he proudly showed me the India made Gypsy being sold as a farm vehicle and he said it is in huge demand although it can only be used on farms and is not road legal.
cheap to maintain utilitarian 4x4 vehicle. They love their Suzukis and so do we!
Quote:
Originally Posted by himalyan_ice View Post
Just booked the top version in automatic transmission. Online, so could pick a colour (guess which one? )
Had been planning to pick up a Thar for the longest time, but the horrible fit and finish, rear bench setup, and the NVH levels (given the hard plastic top) just didn't allow me to take a call. Added to it were the Thar's dimensions. I shuttle between Simla and Gurgaon, and have found larger vehicles a real pain to navigate and park.
So, why are the other reasons why I picked the
Final note? I hope that being smaller helps the Jimny being disliked by a certain genre of "SUV types". Call me emotional, but that flavour of misplaced hyper-masculinity / aggression is something that I'd actively avoid being associated with.
@Zanskar
The Suzuki Gypsy was sold as the Farm Worker in New Zealand. They absolutely loved it.
There were some Chilean chaps who set a record in it too.
It is a very worthy and proven vehicle there is no doubt about it. Its often unsung but Suzuki equals Toyota when it comes to reliability and maintenance.
Its just that Toyota markets themselves better (and raise their prices too to a crazy level) and Suzuki largely just keeps plodding along delivering the goods come rain or shine.

@himalayan_ice
Im very much with you ref the small footprint and narrow body of the Jimny especially in hilly terrain.
All over the hilly regions of India perhaps more so up North in the mountainous areas, these Gypsys are prized. Even the Army after all these years is still struggling to fid the right replacement. Perhaps the advent of Jimny will give them what they were looking for as a Gypsy replacement! It is very true that the lightness of the Jimny will take it along to places that larger and heavier vehicles cannot reach.

Even in places like Coorg and Nilgiris and all, the Gypsy can easily be driven in-between the rows of Coffee and Tea plants on those narrow paths, whereas the Thar and its brothers struggle.
(See pics of my Thar and my Gypsy in Coorg on two separate occasions and judge for yourself.)
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-34d11c9c31904654b4012e9a0fa7b6e4.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-ed69d86f4ac549ef8666570720335ef7.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-a4ca64f9a97443a68f61beeacbbdc500.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th January 2023 at 07:29.
shankar.balan is offline   (22) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed