Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2023, 11:04   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

I like this little car, since it seems to be small and comes with a torque converter automatic gearbox. By not having an AMT, it is already a favorite for me personally! It can be a great city vehicle with its smaller footprint, amid a sea of ever-growing, humongous cars. It has pretty good ground clearance, approach/departure angles...I just wish it came with a 2WD variant, like the Thar. If I were to own a 4WD car, I would not engage the 4WD mechanism for 99% of the time. That'd be a shame.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 12:59   #407
BHPian

MSIL should showcase the 5 door Jimny at prominent locations like they did for the Grand Vitara so that prospective buyers can finalize their decision, colour options etc.
Old 25th January 2023, 13:18   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
MSIL should showcase the 5 door Jimny at prominent locations like they did for the Grand Vitara so that prospective buyers can finalize their decision, colour options etc.
Yesterday i received a call from the Nexa Dilshad Garden in Delhi about me booking the Jimny . I told them i would like to see it in person and drive before making a booking for the off-roader to which the SA replied he has no idea when the car will be available at their showroom . I do plan to book the Kinetic Green Alpha Auto .

Last edited by drift2race : 25th January 2023 at 13:30.
drift2race is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 13:49   #409
BHPian

Some much needed accessories for The Jimny

https://streettracklife.com/collections/jimny-interior
mpant05 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 14:13   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpant05 View Post
One of the most important accessory for the Jimny is Bonnet front edge protector. It seems the flying objects like stone chips or sand, particle damage the front edge of the bonnet.

Another accessory I would plan is the rock sliders set. Is it legal in India? Purpose is not for off-roading but to protect this tiny car side door and the plastic cladding below the door area from the rowdy bikers/ cyclists.

We need transfer case underbody protections, radial cup protector etc. also.

How will be the cost for the suspension betterment to make it more acceptable for urban commutes?

Last edited by RijuC : 25th January 2023 at 14:21.
Old 25th January 2023, 15:12   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Just asked ChatGPT AI to write something on Maruti Jimny and here's what I got. Couldn't have put it better

Related thread

Here is what it I got from ChatGPT on Jimny
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230125-3.10.38-pm.png  

MotoDrive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 16:44   #412
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
Any update on your booking? Did you check at the regular showroom or NEXA?
Hello,
Yes, I went to the Nexa showroom and there is no update. Got a confirmation from the showroom in the email 2 days back. The delivery date in the
Booking slip shows June 22 for booking made on 18th Jan.
Thanks - Naj
naj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 17:08   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpant05 View Post

https://streettracklife.com/collections/jimny-interior
Those are very practical accessories indeed. As the 3 door and 5 door share same interior. These accessories should be available in India post launch.
Old 26th January 2023, 07:58   #414
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalyan_ice View Post
Just booked the top version in automatic transmission. Online, so could pick a colour (guess which one? )
Please let us know how this performs.

I had been waiting for this moment for a long time but the age old 4-gear Torque Converter unit stopped me from booking this.

I usually travel a lot to Himalayas and that shall significantly increase going forward (or so it seems). But an automatic is a must for my trips - usually 700Km+, and occasionally above 1000Kms.

Now, I will wait for Thar RWD 5-door version Auto (to fit my price bracket) or an upgraded Maruti Jimny automatic, or some other manufacturer who wants to jump in the game.

More than 4WD, it is a nimble AWD I was looking for and Jimny fit the bill perfectly until they fitted their "baba adam ke zamaane ka" torque converter unit!!

Last edited by RDS : 26th January 2023 at 08:00.
Old 26th January 2023, 14:36   #415
BHPian

An important aspect that is bothering me is Maruti and its safety.
With the news of maruti employee's scam where inferior parts are being procured for corruption of a few employees is bothering.
Even with the good NCAP rating, I can never be confident if the maruti car driven by me qualifies on the same standards.
Old 26th January 2023, 14:54   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
An important aspect that is bothering me is Maruti and its safety.
With the news of maruti employee's scam where inferior parts are being procured for corruption of a few employees is bothering.
Even with the good NCAP rating, I can never be confident if the maruti car driven by me qualifies on the same standards.
As per the reports they have been flagged for purchasing parts at inflated prices - nothing has been said about the inferior quality of parts - if that is any solace. And given the recent recalls for the Grand Vitara there seems to be a mechanism in place to pick up quality issues.

It may be a bit premature to think that Maruti will suddenly fall off their quality and reliability pedestal just because of this issue. Because at the end of the day the service centers will be the first touch points at which low quality will be an issue.

There is nothing to suggest that this is going to have a huge impact on the Jimny and it's quality.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 16:03   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
More than 4WD, it is a nimble AWD I was looking for and Jimny fit the bill perfectly until they fitted their "baba adam ke zamaane ka" torque converter unit!!
I happened to drive that very 4 speed auto in a Ciaz and did over 600KMs - it is actually not that bad as folks make it out to be and pretty good if you’re going sedate. I did upto 120Kph in the Ciaz and it was really nice and was able to keep up with the highway traffic and I also did some overtaking with it. I had no complaints at all. There’s many YouTube videos also on how it performs on highway and folks seem satisfied. Not sure how it’ll perform in the 5D Jimny but IMHO that gearbox is bulletproof reliable and good enough for most folks with sedate driving.

My question here is, a lot of folks say that stock suspension is not nice and that aftermarket suspension greatly improves the Jimmy’s handling and capabilities on and off road. Here’s my thought, since the 5D is 100KGs higher than the 3D, however the GVW is also increased retaining the ~325 KG capacity for passengers, which IMHO not enough for a niche segment of people.
So does anyone think that in view of above, Suzuki might have some something to the suspension to carry the extra 100KG weight?

That extra 100KGs at the back must improve highway performance theoretically and offer more stability.
AjayV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 17:54   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki India's pending orders have jumped to around 4.05 lakh units this month as the inflow of bookings continues to be steady, while newly introduced SUVs Jimny and Fronx also added to the numbers.

Shashank Srivastava - Maruti Suzuki India Senior Executive Officer, Marketing & Sales:
Quote:
We are at around 4,05,000 bookings (at present), which are pending, and that means that we are seeing in the flow of bookings and of inquiries at a pretty good level
Quote:
The bookings for Jimny have crossed 11,000 units, while that of Fronx is around 4,000 units.
Jimny's booking is at the rate of around 1,000 per day and Fronx it is around 300 per day.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th January 2023 at 17:58.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 18:24   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Jimny's booking is at the rate of around 1,000 per day and Fronx it is around 300 per day.

Link

Why do I have a feeling that Jimny is cannibalising the Fronx? Or even a major portion of the CSUV segment up?
Old 26th January 2023, 18:35   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
As per the reports they have been flagged for purchasing parts at inflated prices - nothing has been said about the inferior quality of parts - if that is any solace.
If you look at that thread in whole, the second comment there is:
"My cousin's husband quit Maruti because of this. It is not just the purchasing department. The issue is with safety too. He could not stand sub-standard parts being signed off, so he quit in disgust".

There is no limit to human greed. If a corrupt employee can pass a Rs.100 part for Rs.200. He can also be glove in hand with the supplier to pass inferior quality parts (say worth Rs.50 instead of Rs. 100) for Rs. 200.

Professionally, being in touch with CAs and Auditors, had second/third hand information from OEM suppliers in and around maruti sharing how rampant the corruption is. And to satisfy the demands of such employee, the supplier isnt going to pay from his pockets and compelled to compromise on quality too.
Grr7 is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed