Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2023, 19:17   #421
RDS
BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
I happened to drive that very 4 speed auto in a Ciaz and did over 600KMs - it is actually not that bad as folks make it out to be and pretty good if you’re going sedate. I did upto 120Kph in the Ciaz and it was really nice and was able to keep up with the highway traffic and I also did some overtaking with it. I had no complaints at all.
However, this is Jimny - boxy design, not aerodynamically efficient like Ciaz. I do like the right mix of power and torque in my car.
I was really hoping for some offering above and beyond the K15B, if not turbo-powered, then at least K15C with the latest TC unit!

Let us see the overall performance of Jimny. I think the manual would be great but who knows, maybe TC works equally well, and I might be wrong.

I will take the next decision once we have a good number of reviews from end customers. And then, of course, awaiting the Team-BHP detailed review on this one.
RDS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 19:23   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't understand what exactly people are griping about with the old 4 speed gearbox. Most folks seem to have a problem because it is old - that's it.

It's only weaknesses are poor in-city FE and tricky acceleration & overtaking.

It's strengths are that it's 4th cog has a way more relaxed gear ratio than most manual 5th gears do (and hence will cruise super-relaxed on the highway) and it is a cheap gearbox at Rs.80K for a full replacement (worst-case scenario). Every other AT gearbox will cost 4 lacs minimum for a full replacement.

I love this particular gearbox.

And I couldn't believe it but the Jimny seems to come with the older, enthusiast-friendly K15B engine. The new K15C engine wheezes away on the new XL6 and Brezza and is clearly tuned for FE. Mated to the older engine, the 4 speed unit should do just fine.
locusjag is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 19:37   #423
BHPian

Here's some videos for folks who were confused as myself:

Auto vs Manual: they got their own strengths and perks. These are 3 door and I only hope the 5 door should perform better due to the added weight at the rear. You can skip to the end for a short TLDW.

Here's about the on-road performance as well. I only can imagine that the 5 door will perform better with the longer wheelbase.

AjayV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 20:55   #424
BHPian

I have a 2007 Grand Vitara AT. It comes with an old school 4 speed AT and a 2L petrol engine.
Personally I love the 4 speed gearbox when doing offroading and trail driving. Just stick into "D" and it tackles anything you throw at it. And it does not overheat.
On the highway I easily manage to cruise at 80-100 kmph and have done unmentionable speeds a couple of times. A 6 speed would be better for the highway, but I manage just fine with the 4 speeder. The reliability factor stops me from grumbling.
sridhar-v is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 23:01   #425
BHPian

To put things in perspective I happened to own a Suzuki Vitara 2.0 V6 Petrol from 1997. I bought it used in 2016 when I was in New Zealand. It had a 4 speed TC unit. It was a gas guzzler but it took me places where a normal car would not go. Except from cold start rumbles (mainly due to its age) I never faced any issue with it during the one year I had it with me.
The 4 speed TC unit was flawless, it even came with an Overdrive button (I guess the Jimny also has it). Even if it is not the same unit one thing is for sure it is going to be super reliable.

That Vitara was 19 year old when I bought it and when I listed it for sale it was picked up within hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-fc2a9fd1fe164834ba271a0fc9ca0e0b.jpeg  

Zanskar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 00:42   #426
Senior - BHPian

If the same engine has a 6 speed AT in the Grand Vitara and a 4 speed AT in the Jimny I am thinking that there may be something to do with the way the vehicle is geared and the purpose of the vehicle that may be driving this decision rather than just cost.

And going by folks who have used it here in India and abroad with bigger engine it hardly seems a tragedy. Even driving manual cars with 6 speed gear boxes I hardly every get into 6th in most conditions. More ratios doesn't automatically mean it's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
If you look at that thread in whole, the second comment there is:
Yes i read it and did not think it was credible enough to merit a response to.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 27th January 2023 at 00:59.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 02:06   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
If the same engine has a 6 speed AT in the Grand Vitara and a 4 speed AT in the Jimny I am thinking that there may be something to do with the way the vehicle is geared and the purpose of the vehicle that may be driving this decision rather than just cost.

And going by folks who have used it here in India and abroad with bigger engine it hardly seems a tragedy. Even driving manual cars with 6 speed gear boxes I hardly every get into 6th in most conditions. More ratios doesn't automatically mean it's a good thing.

Yes i read it and did not think it was credible enough to merit a response to.

Drive on,
Shibu
The new vitaras got the engine mounted transversely, for the main front wheel Drive, With one exit to the clutches to the rear diff

The jimny got It longitudinally, With one exit for the cardan to the Transfer case

These cars got a completely different structure in their transmission of the engine power to the wheels, and the physical space is not the same either

Last edited by wacso : 27th January 2023 at 02:08.
wacso is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 04:18   #428
BHPian

An insight of what to expect from Jimmy .
Vulken Auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 07:45   #429
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/maruti...oading-veteran

I think this review by our 4x4 off-road veteran Tejas@prioimpl gives an excellent all round impression of the Jimny in Indian conditions.
dileep is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 08:17   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki to launch 6 EV's including Jimny by 2030. Europe is likely to get the electrified Jimny first.

Quote:
European product development, silhouette looks like SUVs and Jimny-like models
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-1.jpg

Quote:
In Europe, BEVs will be launched for the first time in FY2024, and by FY2030, five BEV models will be available, with BEVs accounting for 80% and HEVs accounting for 20% of the powertrains. "It will be expanded to the SUV segment," and the silhouettes that were unveiled include many SUVs, including models that look like Jimny. "We would like to respond flexibly to the environmental regulations of European countries and customer needs,", hinting at the possibility of changes depending on the regulations.
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-024_o.png

More on Suzuki's Global plans:

Link

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th January 2023 at 08:27.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 08:47   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect_santo View Post
Why isn’t MSIL introducing the Jimny with two wheel drive, to suit majority of the interest on this car in the urban market?
Maruti is already offering stripped down version of another such car - Ignis, which is offered with the 'AllGrip' AWD setup in other countries. Ignis is better package offering better driving dynamics, better utility, better space, better seating capacity and better comfort compared to the Jimny for those who don't care about the AWD/4WD capabilities.

Mahindra is already doing stupid things with the Thar like removing that already mediocre MLD from the fuel guzzler petrol variant. Diesel variant of the Thar is no more a considerable choice for many with the recent draconian laws. Hope Maruti does not do such things with the mighty little toy.

Instead of the 2WD variant, they should consider launching the 3 door version at lower price so that many people having parking constraints can think about getting the Jimny as a second car for weekend fun which can fit in the tight parking spaces. Right now many of those people will have to take calls between the 4 seater Jimny and their existing 5 seater cars and chances are that their existing cars will win over the not-so-practical Jimny.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 27th January 2023 at 08:52.
tbppjpr is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 09:15   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Suzuki to launch 6 EV's including Jimny by 2030. Europe is likely to get the electrified Jimny first.

Attachment 2410814
Does this mean we'll get to see Suzuki EVs as early as this year?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th January 2023 at 09:56. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 27th January 2023, 09:25   #433
BHPian

Surprisingly, Suzuki san did not touch upon the TDSG facility for Li-ion Battery manufacturing at Gujarat in their roadmap 2030!

Any insight on that operation? How TDSG is going to support their EV journey?

Last edited by RijuC : 27th January 2023 at 09:27.
Old 27th January 2023, 09:36   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Surprisingly, Suzuki san did not touch upon the TDSG facility for Li-ion Battery manufacturing at Gujarat in their roadmap 2030!

Any insight on that operation? How TDSG is going to support their EV journey?
Here it is:

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-6.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 10:06   #435
Senior - BHPian

One thing I am not liking about the Jimny is the chain drive transfer case. The Gypsy has a gear driven transfer case. A chain drive transfer case is kind of the norm nowadays in many large 4x4 SUV like Fortuner/Hilux/Isuzu etc the difference is that in those vehicles the chain drives only the front axle in 4WD mode. In Jimny both axles are driven by chain i.e., even in 2WD mode. Gear driven transfer cases are generally considered stronger. Another plus for the Gypsy is the neutral position in transfer case, Jimny doesnt have a transfer case neutral, so won't get stuck in neutral :-)

The 4AT in Jimny is unique to the Jimny and is not shared with larger 4x4 including the first gen Vitara XL7 V6. People comparing Jimny 4AT with cars like Ciaz/Ertiga K15B 4AT forgets that these vehicles have small lightweight FWD 4AT transaxle with lower drive train loss and road spec gearing compared to Jimny's complex (and heavier) drive train and compromised (for road) gearing. Jimny is neither going to be as efficient nor as cruisable as a Ciaz or Ertiga at highway speeds. Jimny has longitudinal engine mounting and every other Maruti have transverse engine mounting and that's why the 6AT of Brezza/GV/Fronx is not going to happen on the Jimny, no need to wait for that

Btw i booked the Jimny 4AT White on 12th (launch date) afternoon with the dealer in Tvm, on 13th it was entered in the Maruti system and received their confirmation. But all depends on the price.

Last edited by Sankar : 27th January 2023 at 10:21.
Sankar is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed