Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2023, 15:22   #481
BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Slightly digressing from the main discussion topic -
A lot of discussion here is point to the fact that there is definitely a market for a Pertol AWD AT SUV in the Indian market. With the success of Thar (and also Jimny by the number of bookings), I am really surprised that Tata is still not interested in this sub segment and see the pie to be too small for them to focus on .

Nexon AWD can fill in the demand for a comfortable 5 seater AWD capable of taking one from Goa to the Himalayas in comfort and also allow for snow drives and some moderate offroad. Nexon AWD Pertol AT / MT priced between 10-14 Lakhs should sell decent numbers.

Harrier / Safari platform is based on the JLR Discovery and is perfect as a super comfortable highway cruiser and with a AWD / 4WD option will be a hit. Plonk in the now in works TGDI with the AWD/4WD and you have a winner in the sub 20 and sub 25 lakh bracket.
sadnabrina is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 15:32   #482
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Slightly digressing from the main discussion topic -
A lot of discussion here is point to the fact that there is definitely a market for a Pertol AWD AT SUV in the Indian market. Plonk in the now in works TGDI with the AWD/4WD and you have a winner in the sub 20 and sub 25 lakh bracket.
There has always been a niche that wanted this kind of vehicle. It is only recently that this niche has been expanded into the mainstream because of the Thar. It was also about the timing of the release. Mahindra got it bang on, to their luck.Immediately after the pandemic people were really irked and itching for freedom and adventure. This is still evident going by the booking numbers and waiting period for all these lifestyle vehicles. To your point about the TGDi and the AWD/ 4WD combo, speaking as the owner of a Thar 4x4 Petrol AT, yes it will be super, but it will also be a real guzzler asTurbo petrols usually are. This is where possibly the little Jimny will score, the K15B being a naturally aspirated engine.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th January 2023 at 15:34.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 16:22   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
The key is to make sure that the documents are collected and the system is updated and you get an SOB number.
Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. I've just contacted them and they said that they would be able to provide the SOB by tomorrow. Shouldn't this process happen on its own, without my intervention? And would this also mean that my booking has been delayed due to the non-followup from the dealership?

Would anyone happen to know, the difference in weight between the steel rims and the alloys? I am currently searching for some good quality AT tyres (205s/215s/225s etc) and worried about the added mass from these tyres towards unsprung weight and how it may affect gearing (and fuel efficiency). Thank you.
Old 30th January 2023, 17:25   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. I've just contacted them and they said that they would be able to provide the SOB by tomorrow. Shouldn't this process happen on its own, without my intervention? And would this also mean that my booking has been delayed due to the non-followup from the dealership?

Would anyone happen to know, the difference in weight between the steel rims and the alloys? I am currently searching for some good quality AT tyres (205s/215s/225s etc) and worried about the added mass from these tyres towards unsprung weight and how it may affect gearing (and fuel efficiency). Thank you.
That's tough to say till someone actually goes and weighs it like they did in Gurkha thread where they experimented alloys in the TD vehicle etc.

Saying that, I'll personally hold off on such mods till I put in some KMs on the ODO on stock to see how she handles and hold off on the tyre upgrades till I actually need it.

One thing I've observed is that the vehicle tyres are overinflated at delivery. Atleast in International markets and even when I was picking up my bikes, RC200 (sold) and current D390, same was the case.
These guys shouldn't be any different and ensure correct tyre pressures since we're on this topic, to ensure the good ride quality on road which a lot of people are saying makes a world of a difference. Also helps with the wobble in case you're worried.

Quote:
The process is that once you have booked and paid online the selected dealer reaches out to you to complete the paperwork. Only after he collects the documents are the details punched into the system and then you get the SOB number. The SOB number is sort of an allotment number but as far as I could gather it's not a running serial number nationally. Instead it seems to be dealer specific booking number.

The key is to make sure that the documents are collected and the system is updated and you get an SOB number.

If you haven't received any calls from your dealer then I suggest you reach out to him and complete the process.
ありがとう(Thank You)

I called them up and gave them the documents. The rep said they'll inform the booking details when they get an update.

The rep also revealed that the sales person training will be completed in 2 days and that there's a waiting period of 3 months for the Jimny and that the company officially wants to start deliveries in April. I'm taking this with a pinch of salt but this is coming from someone who is NOT in sales but rather the back office team who does this data-entry and all.
AjayV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 19:43   #485
th2
BHPian

Internationally, Suzuki offers some variant of AllGrip on quite a few models - https://www.globalsuzuki.com/allgrip/ . It is a pity that this is not offered in India. AllGrip Auto or AllGrip Select is what most people need, i.e., for folks with the occasional need to traverse dirt tracks, and not the lifestyle/sport off-roader community.
th2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 20:56   #486
BHPian

Quote:
The process is that once you have booked and paid online the selected dealer reaches out to you to complete the paperwork. Only after he collects the documents are the details punched into the system and then you get the SOB number. The SOB number is sort of an allotment number but as far as I could gather it's not a running serial number nationally. Instead it seems to be dealer specific booking number.

If you haven't received any calls from your dealer then I suggest you reach out to him and complete the process.
Thank you for the advice. finally got the SOB number.
murlidar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 20:59   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by th2 View Post
AllGrip Auto or AllGrip Select is what most people need
New Grand Vitara AWD uses the AllGrip Select.
Old 30th January 2023, 23:33   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
..And we never felt space was inadequate, ride was bouncy, it didn't do triple digit speed, didn't have massive torque.

Let's enjoy the sound of dropping dew, dry leaves in the jungle.
Echo these thoughts. A bit OT, but I remember going thru the discussion on this forum about 10 years ago now on the Yeti 4x4 and how basically the 4x2 was just not worth it. I'm oversimplifying of course, there were some with good advice as well. I went ahead and bought the 4x2 anyways and it has been a dream ever since. Felt deja vu-ish reading all the posts on manual vs auto Jimny.

I may be proved wrong in the long run but have gone ahead with the AT Jimny anyways, as that's where I feel my use case lies.
Old 30th January 2023, 23:40   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
It seems your assumption may be correct. As long as the system is not updated and till you get an SOB I would assume that your are not in the queue.

I had gone to the dealer physically and got the booking done there itself and got the SOB as well.

The process should ideally happen yourself and the dealer is supposed to call you shortly after you have done the online booking. However it seems the Nexa site is more of a stop gap arrangement and not really tied up back to their actual systems.

After the online booking, people have reported receiving booking SMS from Maruti with a link that downloads someone else's booking details and sometimes even for a different car altogether

IMHO the whole Nexaexperience.com "experience" leaves a lot to be desired. It just a jugaad.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 08:05   #490
BHPian

Quote:
As long as the system is not updated and till you get an SOB I would assume that your are not in the queue.
Wait - so I need the SOB? Yesterday when I asked for it, the rep said that it won’t be generated for direct booking on nexa website. It’s only for dealer bookings and that I’m already in the queue and the enquiry number from the booking payment receipt is the actual queue in the Maruti system.

She also informed that one can change the colour/transmission/variant at any time but allocation will happen first come first serve basis and also will be colour specific based on what the dealership will be allocated from the company.

If folks before me in the queue at the dealership would take/skip the specific colour/variant/trim combo, I’ll get my turn of the vehicle to take/skip.

Edit : there’s the point 2 at the terms and conditions of the booking receipt : Vehicle will be delivered strictly in the order of receipt of customer booking, subject to payment and other formalities. Vehicle delivery is however subject to vehicle availability.

Here, I’m assuming the final payment/other formalities as the rep did tell me that if there’s delays from others before me in making payment, the vehicle will be allocated next to me. Also that I can change the registration and formalities etc.

Last edited by AjayV : 31st January 2023 at 08:17. Reason: Added the fine print
AjayV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 08:09   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
Wait - so I need the SOB? Yesterday when I asked for it, the rep said that it won’t be generated for direct booking on nexa website. It’s only for dealer bookings and that I’m already in the queue and the enquiry number from the booking payment receipt is what will be the actual queue in the Maruti system.
I think most people have received the SOB and it's printed on the booking receipt that you get from the dealer after you have submitted all the papers. However the dealer may be correct too. Like I said earlier, the way the system works is not fully known.
Old 31st January 2023, 09:17   #492
BHPian

Hope Maruti Suzuki gives us black color as an option for Jimny. I will be upgrading Tyres to 215/75/R15 Goodrich all terrain Tyres on stock rims after delivery. Width of Tyre increased by 10%, weight by 1 kg.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-12.jpg  

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 31st January 2023 at 09:24.
Vulken Auto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 09:29   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
Hope Maruti Suzuki gives us black color as an option for Jimny.
The brochures and website do mention the Bluish Black colour option.
Old 31st January 2023, 10:00   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The brochures and website do mention the Bluish Black colour option.
For some reason bluish black color is dark blue rather than black, very close to nexa blue. Black color in jimny is non metallic.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-2.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-3.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-4.jpg  

Old 31st January 2023, 10:10   #495
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
. I will be upgrading Tyres to 215/75/R15 Goodrich all terrain Tyres on stock rims after delivery..
This will help fill the wheel arches better!
See pics taken in Dxb.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-ca55ef9904464cbb94b8dce9ad11e65b.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-176422c2acd341dabf5aec9cd47d4ded.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed