Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2023, 18:28   #586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Maruti Suzuki is likely to allot a production target of 1000/1500 units a month. Waiting period now crosses 1 year.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki’s latest SUV Jimny also saw its bookings cross the 15,000 mark within a month of its launch. Therefore, at the current rate of Maruti’s production, the five-door Jimny’s waiting period could easily cross the 1-year mark.
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-capture.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th February 2023 at 18:30.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 19:55   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Interior width mentioned as 1300mm. It is not the seat width, but the interiors keeping wheel wells on both side into account. Note the line with the arrows.
Attachment 2416229
First of all, thanks for posting this image. This is the 3 door which is a 4 seater. Clearly, the wheel wells take away a huge chunk of rear-seat space as shown in the image.

But in the 5 door, I am sure the rear wheels (and therefore the wheel wells too) have been moved back by a good amount. The rear passenger area has got to have the space for a longer seat. Then why is the 5 door still a 4 seater?

Just think, the WagonR is spacious enough and the Jimny is narrower than the WagonR by just under 15cm (as shown by the measurements posted above). Isn't that just about the length of our palm? I am not disregarding the safety and the long-distance-fatigue aspects here, but still, if the 5 door was classified as a 5 seater, we could get away with that additional passenger, atleast in those unavoidable situations and also considering the RTO's, especially the Kerala MVD that digs up all possible clauses to strictly (read that as SOMETIMES ABSURDLY) enforce the law.

What a shame, what a waste.
aravind422 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 20:11   #588
BHPian

Saw a video clip of 3 door Jimny roaming around in India, probably in Mumbai:-

tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 20:34   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind422 View Post
First of all, thanks for posting this image. This is the 3 door which is a 4 seater. Clearly, the wheel wells take away a huge chunk of rear-seat space as shown in the image.

But in the 5 door, I am sure the rear wheels (and therefore the wheel wells too) have been moved back by a good amount. The rear passenger area has got to have the space for a longer seat. Then why is the 5 door still a 4 seater?

Just think, the WagonR is spacious enough and the Jimny is narrower than the WagonR by just under 15cm (as shown by the measurements posted above). Isn't that just about the length of our palm? I am not disregarding the safety and the long-distance-fatigue aspects here, but still, if the 5 door was classified as a 5 seater, we could get away with that additional passenger, atleast in those unavoidable situations and also considering the RTO's, especially the Kerala MVD that digs up all possible clauses to strictly (read that as SOMETIMES ABSURDLY) enforce the law.

What a shame, what a waste.
The 3 door version was never a comfortable 4 seater to start with. You are right, the wheel wells are now behind the 2nd row seat (starts in the middle of seat) but still the maximum width is 1300mm. Account for rear door opening and panels with handles etc , the maximum usable space for rear seat is about 1200mm. 15 cms is like square feet in automotive field. 150mm would have made it a shot-distance 5 seater.

I predict that around 40-50% bookings will get cancelled as soon as people see Jimny in person. I did sat in person in the 5 door and it took me 2 days of self-justification to proceed further. My daily drive is a Scorpio S10, which might be the reason behind my thinking, but still no denying to the fact that Jimny is a narrow lifestyle 4x4 car which still cannot be only primary car for 90% of Indian families.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 8th February 2023 at 20:36.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 20:39   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Saw a video clip of 3 door Jimny roaming around in India, probably in Mumbai:-

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=oxJMIDbXkNM
Quite old video of a dubai registered 3 door Jimny imported under carnet. Autocar India did a review on this as well. This has nothing to do with our 5 door version or any future plans here.

Some offroad video here:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoZ73...d=ZDhmZGIxNmQ=

Last edited by purohitanuj : 8th February 2023 at 20:48.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 20:48   #591
BHPian

I was eagerly waiting to buy the Jimny when Maruti Suzuki displayed the 3 door version in 2020.

Now that Maruti Suzuki has launched Jimny 5 door version and Fronx, I am little confused as which one to buy now.

My mom is liking the Fronx for it's design while I want the Jimny 5 door for it's off-road capabilities.

Currently I am having the Alto Type-2 (2009 Model) which is 14 years old and has not run much, but I want to keep it.

The Alto does not take much space when parked inside our house compound, there is space for a person to move around the sides of the car.
Now if I buy either Jimny 5 door or Fronx, I am little worried about the free space movement.

Below I have compared the Length, Width, Height & Wheelbase of most of the Alto models, Igins, Wagon-R, Baleno, Fronx & Jimny 5 door.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-dimensionsaiwbfj.png

Jimny without the fenders have the same witdh that of the Alto which is a 5 seater.

I am waiting for the media reviews on the rear seating capability of Jimny before booking.

I am also attaching the excel for if anyone is interested in adding more cars for easy comparison.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Dimensions-AIWBFJ.xlsx (9.2 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by bobbyblr : 8th February 2023 at 21:05. Reason: Added few more points
Old 9th February 2023, 12:56   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
I am little worried about the free space movement.

Jimny without the fenders have the same witdh that of the Alto which is a 5 seater.
The base version of the Jimny comes without the wheel arch/fender, so you can consider that model. Or maybe you can get some good workshop to make some sort of removable fenders with thumb screws so you detach it before you pull into your driveway.
Old 9th February 2023, 13:05   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The base version of the Jimny comes without the wheel arch/fender, so you can consider that model.
I don't think that is the case. Both Zeta & Alpha variants will have the fenders on wheel arches.
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 14:11   #594
BHPian

Jimny with no fenders is called Jimny in Japan.

Source: https://www.suzuki.co.jp/car/jimny/

Jimny with fenders on Wheel arches is called Jimny Sierra.

Source: https://www.suzuki.co.jp/car/jimny_sierra/

In India we call the later just Jimny. May I add brochure for exact inner dimensions mentioned in last page.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-1.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-2.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 123.pdf (13.13 MB, 174 views)

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 9th February 2023 at 14:30. Reason: Brochure attached.
Vulken Auto is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 15:21   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The base version of the Jimny comes without the wheel arch/fender, so you can consider that model. Or maybe you can get some good workshop to make some sort of removable fenders with thumb screws so you detach it before you pull into your driveway.
That is exclusive model in Japan know as just "Jimny" and its a kei cateory car. In India, and rest of the world, gets the "Jimny Sierra"/"Jimny" with the fenders installed.

Fun fact, Jimny did came in 2wd version known as Suzuki Jimny 1.3 2WD JX.
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-rarejimny.jpg

So we for sure could see a 5 door 2WD version here as well.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 9th February 2023 at 15:23.
Old 9th February 2023, 16:20   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Fun fact, Jimny did came in 2wd version known as Suzuki Jimny 1.3 2WD JX.
Attachment 2416560

So we for sure could see a 5 door 2WD version here as well.
No, that is the 3rd gen. Jimmy.
The present model is the 4th generation.

But we can't say that Suzuki will not release a 2wd version of this one. Mahindra just did that to the Thar.
Old 9th February 2023, 17:45   #597
BHPian

Quote:
No, that is the 3rd gen. Jimmy.
The present model is the 4th generation.

But we can't say that Suzuki will not release a 2wd version of this one. Mahindra just did that to the Thar.
Yes, obviously I know its is 3rd gen. I had mentioned just "Jimny" and not any generation. I do have all details of all the generations with pics of all variation. That is not the point here. I was talking about Jimny as a brand showing up in 2WD avatar. Also as far as I recall, this version was a front wheel drive.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 9th February 2023 at 17:49.
Old 9th February 2023, 18:32   #598

The true size of Jimny stumps many. Most people (including myself) didn't really consider the wheel arch extensions in the Jimny when comparing its width to other cars.

I just saw the number in the brochure (1,645 mm), which led me to believe that it was roomier than it actually is. Therefore, I made this illustration (true-to-scale) to help others gauge Jimny's true size before it hits the showrooms.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-size.jpg
Source: Official Brochure of Respective Cars

I used the Jimny from the Japanese market as a reference for this comparison. It comes without wheel arch extensions in order to qualify for Japan's Kei car requirements. This way the true size of the Jimny and the resultant internal space can be gauged.

At 1,475 mm wide, it's even narrower than the humble Alto! No wonder Maruti Suzuki has classified it as only a four-seater!
badtman is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 18:42   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt Suzuki will indulge in the sort of brand dilution M&M have subjected the "Thar". Market Share isn't everything. Renault-Nissan if you are reading this, kindly ignore.

The Gypsy and now the Jimny represent the spirit of affordable adventure. A plucky little Terrier racing through the fields, the undergrowth tickling its belly! Without four legs, or wheels in this case, the script would read quite differently.

M&M doesn't care that they sell 1000 neutered Thar for every fully endowed version. I have a feeling Suzuki does. God knows they sell enough of everything else they make to not have to listen to the pen pushers from accounting.

Last edited by gsferrari : 9th February 2023 at 18:43.
gsferrari is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 18:49   #600
BHPian

Quote:
I know its is 3rd gen.
Of course you do...
...you were the one who put up those images a few posts earlier.

Sorry about that.
aravind422 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed