Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2023, 11:59   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

You are right about their lack of launch marketing abilities. They should by now have at-least done a road show and had one single display vehicle across at-least the bigger cities of India. Or else they should have revealed the pricing only in March, swiftly following up with full Displays across dealerships, popular malls, Test Drives, Road shows and deliveries.
Why should they? Just a show at the Auto Expo has achieved spectacular results. They may be afraid that more marketing may throw production planning way off track. The launch of the Swift diesel come to mind.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 14:05   #677

Given the public response, they should have prioritized the Jimny's launch ahead of the FronX (which already reached the showrooms) in my opinion. But whatever said and discussed here, Jimny will be a hit product. Just like people bought the new Thar as a statement vehicle, this too will sell just for it's looks. And moreover it is a proven product across the globe. As for me, I have waited 3 long years and I can wait 6 more months. Have not even bothered that it is launched and passing time by checking this thread and the those videos of 3 door Jimny.
Old 16th February 2023, 14:46   #678
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do I have the feeling that Maruti pretty well knows their strategy.

Put the Fronx in the showrooms with the prices revealed. Let the initial footfalls and subsequent bookings come. The Fronx has its place in the showroom.

Launch the absolute M-A-G-N-E-T of the Jimny with prices revealed. People will flock to the showroom to check it out. Those who suddenly find that the Jimny is smaller/narrower/more basic/<insert blah blah> would look around and see the new Fronx which they might not have even noticed earlier. When they slide into the comparatively more comfortable seats and look at the bells and whistles of the 'high riding' Fronx, they will shift their bookings or start to get interested in the Fronx.

Those who want the Jimny will still go with it, like the thousands that have bought the Thar. Others will look at the new high riding Baleno. Both remain inside the Nexa showroom. Maruti laughing to the bank like they usually do.
DicKy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 15:36   #679
Senior - BHPian

Really surprised by the market response to the Jimny. I can't really understand this market which just seems to have a bottomless appetite for anything automotive.

A niche and aspirational product like the Jimny putting flagships from Renault/Nissan/VW/Skoda/Honda out to pasture!

Boggles the mind!
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 16:27   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The only surprise is the dismal bookings for Fronx. From Maruti standards the booking numbers are nothing. I think even GV had much more bookings than this in the given timeframe.
saurabh041086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 17:31   #681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
The only surprise is the dismal bookings for Fronx. From Maruti standards the booking numbers are nothing. I think even GV had much more bookings than this in the given timeframe.
Yes. Given the weird name and the fact that most people have not seen it in flesh. The Jimny took away all the attention and frankly people couldn't place where the Fronx is positioned.

I feel the Fronx would be a sleeper hit, especially the turbo +TC combo. The car looks like something that people need, but won't want.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 18:29   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

Put the Fronx in the showrooms with the prices revealed. Let the initial footfalls and subsequent bookings come. The Fronx has its place in the showroom.

Both remain inside the Nexa showroom. Maruti laughing to the bank like they usually do.
The Fronx is potentially the model that can sustain it's sales volume long term but at the same time vulnerable to competition than the Jimny. It's a much more practical but not a unique proposition either. A delay in the delivery of the Fronx can easily see the customer moving to the competition without losing much.

However the Jimny is a vehicle where I feel that after the initial flurry of bookings sales will settle down to a lower baseline than that of the Fronx. Also customers of the Jimny will be pretty focused on its USP and less prone to move to other options.

This is my view of why I think Maruti is showing more haste in bringing out the Fronx over the Jimny.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 19:02   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The Fronx is potentially the model that can sustain it's sales volume long term but at the same time vulnerable to competition than the Jimny. ---
Jimny's Production target is reportedly capped at 1000/1500 units. Potentially this would translate to waiting periods beyond a year unless they decide to ramp up production as seem even with the global 3 door model. Ramp up at what at what cost- Is Suzuki ready to do it?
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 19:04   #684
Senior - BHPian

Once pricing is out we can decide if it sets the charts on fire
Quote:
However the Jimny is a vehicle where I feel that after the initial flurry of bookings sales will settle down to a lower baseline than that of the Fronx. Also customers of the Jimny will be pretty focused on its USP and less prone to move to other options
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 19:48   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Jimny's Production target is reportedly capped at 1000/1500 units. Potentially this would translate to waiting periods beyond a year unless they decide to ramp up production as seem even with the global 3 door model. Ramp up at what at what cost- Is Suzuki ready to do it?
I do not think they have any motivation to do so. Unless they start losing customers to the competition in big numbers.

If Maruti ever lands the Army contract this motivation will fall even further.
Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 16th February 2023, 20:18   #686
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
I do not think they have any motivation to do so. Unless they start losing customers to the competition in big numbers.

If Maruti ever lands the Army contract this motivation will fall even further.
Drive on,
Shibu.
1. Maruti Suzuki Jimny simply has NO competition at this point.
2. Considering the precedent of the Gypsy and the need of the Armed Forces for a compact go anywhere vehicle and the eminent suitability of the Jimny for this purpose, I believe the Armed Forces’ adoption of it is a foregone conclusion.
Time will tell.
Lets wait and watch.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 21:02   #687
BHPian

What kind of 6 speed transmission is present in fronx turbo? Is it AMT or torque converter? Brochure mentions 5 speed amt with normal baleno engine, but is silent on the type of 6 speed transmission unit (with paddle shifters) paired with turbo.
Old 17th February 2023, 00:57   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidar View Post
What kind of 6 speed transmission is present in fronx turbo?
Its a 6 speed Torque Converter.
Xaos636 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 16:13   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidar View Post
What kind of 6 speed transmission is present in fronx turbo? Is it AMT or torque converter? Brochure mentions 5 speed amt with normal baleno engine, but is silent on the type of 6 speed transmission unit (with paddle shifters) paired with turbo.
Discussion related to Fronx should go to Fronx forum. Just my 2 cents
Old 17th February 2023, 18:10   #690
BHPian

Quote:
However the Jimny is a vehicle where I feel that after the initial flurry of bookings sales will settle down to a lower baseline than that of the Fronx. Also customers of the Jimny will be pretty focused on its USP and less prone to move to other options.
Absolutely agree with you on this. I believe most of the bookings are done by those enthusiasts who know what buying a Jimny entails, have loved/owned Gypsies before, and were waiting for it since the launch of 3 door Jimny (some like me are following it since the first spy shots of 3 door emerged from Europe). These bookings are less likely to be cancelled. Those looking for a 'Jeep thing' for it's butch looks and macho road presence are likely to opt out and go for thar instead.
Now that most of those who were waiting for Jimny have booked one, the bookings are likely to fall to a lower number..
mpant05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed