Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2023, 12:33   #721
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
I have a question for some of you who might be more aware of the driving dynamics of an AT vs a manual transmission - specially when driving in the hills.

Would the manual transmission work better than the AT?

Thanks

Here is a good explanation of the AT vs MT debate.

The more i see such videos, more i am convinced that if you enjoy your driving, MT is eventually a better option. Though for a whole rounded package AT seems better.

Offroading and hill climbs are doing very well on AT so doubts on AT get subdued. It now comes to a matter of personal choice and amount of running i suppose.
prashant316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 21:55   #722
Distinguished - BHPian

Jimny bookings stand at 22,000 while the Fronx is at 12,000. Production to start soon.

Quote:
We plan to commence production of these models by end-March
- Maruti Suzuki has in the domestic PV volumes pending bookings at 369,000
- The highest orders were for the Ertiga at 94,000.
- A strong order bank for model like the Brezza is at 61,500
- Grand Vitara bookings stand at 37,000
- Waiting period for Ertiga is around 36 weeks, while that for Brezza and Grand Vitara is up to 25 weeks and 30 weeks.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st March 2023 at 22:00.
Old 1st March 2023, 22:59   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... specially when driving in the hills.

I live between Purola/Uttarkashi and Dehradun and a lot (50% or more) of my driving in the Jimny will be on mountain roads.

Specially if one encounters a sudden steep stretch or a quick overtake on a curvy road. Some of you who are aware of the climb to Landhour in Mussoorie or even the steep climb to Rajpur might be able to understand this situation.
Hills = MT always. Especially when the AT in question is a laggard slouch in handcuffs. This is a slow slush box and will quickly get frustrating in changing road conditions.

I've booked the AT because I live on flat lands and even the hills we have here are mere pimples compared to the terrain where you drive.
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 10:12   #724
BHPian

Quote:
I have a question for some of you who might be more aware of the driving dynamics of an AT vs a manual transmission - specially when driving in the hills.
I currently live in the hills of Himachal full time and have booked an AT. Although I've not driven an AT in India but have some experience driving a few different AT cars in Australia and New Zealand, including the hills (some fairly steep). Hyundai Getz AT, Honda Fit AT, Hyundai i30 AT, Honda Civic AT, Holden Commodore Wagon AT, to name a few.

If you do not drive fast and get a thrill out of fast turns and bends then driving a 1.5L TC AT in the hills would not be a problem. If I am not mistaken, this AT should also come with some manual control (sadly no paddle shifts like in the new brezza), which should be more than enough for any tricky situations.

Cheers
sammysossa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:04   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Jimny bookings stand at 22,000 while the Fronx is at 12,000. Production to start soon.

Link
I was reading an interview by Shashank Srivastava, where he said "We plan to commence production of Fronx and Jimny by end of March".

We can assume launch to be late April or Early May going by that statement.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd March 2023 at 14:15. Reason: No discussion about WhatsApp / Telegram groups please. Thank You!
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:28   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From my experience in Western Ghats - AT has to be really good if it is to work well in the hills, else you would not feel confident enough as much as the MT. You can always change the booking after a test drive, so not much to worry.

Some ATs like the one in XL6, the 6AT will not play ball in the hills no matter what you do, but there are good ATs that downshift and hold the gear if you feather the B-Pedal, similarly they are smart enough to hold the gear on the way up and not unnecessarily up shift , lose momentum and then downshift etc.

The thought process that MTs are better in the hills over AT still holds good for many make and models but not all.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 13:17   #727
Senior - BHPian

In general when you encounter steep hills, MT will do a better job, both going uphill as well as down hill. This is especilly true when the power as well as torque is not very high.

Abroad most of the SUV/UV are automatic, but they have quite a lot more power than Jimny. Lower power and torque will make Jimny sluggish uphill, where as in an MT you can shift down for that extra overtaking power. Similarly going down hill you can choose a lower gear for that extra control.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 13:22   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In general when you encounter steep hills, MT will do a better job, both going uphill as well as down hill. This is especilly true when the power as well as torque is not very high.

Abroad most of the SUV/UV are automatic, but they have quite a lot more power than Jimny. Lower power and torque will make Jimny sluggish uphill, where as in an MT you can shift down for that extra overtaking power. Similarly going down hill you can choose a lower gear for that extra control.
The Jimny has two lockable gear positions, wouldn't that be as effective going uphill or downhill.

I agree the MT will have more flexibility overall but I think with the lockable gears it should not be a slouch.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 14:39   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.. Similarly going down hill you can choose a lower gear for that extra control.
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-interior-9.jpeg

True; do not see any issue with hill driving, either uphill or down. The lower selections are the 2nd gear and L is first gear. It will hold those gears.

Not sure though if hitting the rev limit, in these gears, will be a hold or a cut off. Needs to be checked. For off-road situations, it will be great if it is a hold.
HappyWheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 16:22   #730

Seems manual jimny doesn't have dead pedal while auto has one.

Can someone confirm if its going to be the same case with India made 5 door jimny ?

Pictures of 3 door version jimny are for reference.

BTW, I saw footwell images of auto expo displayed jimny & that too didn't come with dead pedal, is it a norm to not offer dead pedal on manual gearbox vehicles per se ?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-ndp1.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-ndp2.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2023, 16:51   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
From my experience in Western Ghats - AT has to be really good if it is to work well in the hills, else you would not feel confident enough as much as the MT. You can always change the booking after a test drive, so not much to worry.
I've never driven an AT. Spent 15 years with my Qualis which I didn't want to part with (but had to due to the NCR regulation). Now I drive a petrol Etios which has a fantastic 1.5 L NA engine. The drawbacks are mainly the GC, visibility and getting stuck during heavy monsoons in the Himalayas. Also there are several nice places around that will be more accessible with a Jimny.

Test drives in India are very basic. I doubt if I can take the Jimny for a spin even half way up to Mussoorie (that too both the AT and MT) before deciding. But it's a good suggestion that I'll keep in mind. More often we have to rely on our TeamBHP reviews and experiences where the vehicle has undergone scores of kilometers and varying conditions of driving.
Old 2nd March 2023, 17:59   #732
BHPian

Quote:

More (torque&power) is better, no argument there. But I know people who are using Hyundai i10 AMT in the hills, happily. And not just weekend getaways, but who use it as their daily in the hills. The power and torque figures on that car are 50.5 kW and 95.2 Nm. Shouldn't Jimny's higher numbers be sufficient? And yup I've driven AT cars with similar numbers as the 4D Jimny abroad too, in hills, never faced any issue. I am a sedate driver though. But yup one thing is for sure that there could certainly be more "brake driving" downhill, if the engine gearbox tuning is not good.

Since this is the same engine+gearbox combo as in the older gen Maruti's (ertiga/xl6/brezza) maybe someone with real world hill driving could share their experience in relation to the capability of this AT unit.

cheers
Old 2nd March 2023, 19:09   #733
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt if I can take the Jimny for a spin even half way up to Mussoorie (that too both the AT and MT) before deciding.
My colleague recently visited Kanatal+Dhanaulti in his Urban Cruiser which had the same combination of K15B+4 speed TC AT. His feedback was that it was okay to drive in the hills (hope you know the twisties of Narendranagar-Chamba section). Didn't face any trouble on thin layer of snow and wet roads (it was snowing that time of January). Entire drive was on D mode, both ways.

However, he was not satisfied on highways (overtaking etc.). His regular drive is a Nissan Sunny MT.
Old 2nd March 2023, 19:29   #734
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's 5d Jimny, the most awaited SUV:

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-capture.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd March 2023 at 19:32.
volkman10 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 21:25   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Attachment 2424475

True; do not see any issue with hill driving, either uphill or down. The lower selections are the 2nd gear and L is first gear. It will hold those gears.

Not sure though if hitting the rev limit, in these gears, will be a hold or a cut off. Needs to be checked. For off-road situations, it will be great if it is a hold.
Since in automatic we can shift to 2 or L low on the move, hills should not pose a problem where the speeds are relatively lower as compared to open highways in the plains. It is in the plains that we may not be able to make immediate speed changes from say 4th to third.
murlidar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed