Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2023, 21:54   #736
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
I've never driven an AT. Also there are several nice places around that will be more accessible with a Jimny.

Test drives in India are very basic. I doubt if I can take the Jimny for a spin even half way up to Mussoorie (of kilometers and varying conditions of driving.
I think with this Jimny you may be happier with the MT judging by what you’ve written. I have an AT 4X4 Turbo Petrol Thar which is a joy. Tremendously capable off road and a good highway tourer too. But I also have a Manual naturally aspirated Gypsy and frankly all things considered that is absolutely perfect for rough roading in the hills and on the narrow tracks in a way that the Thar simply cannot be.
I love the Jimny. I think if I buy one some day I will very probably buy the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-9eed80998d8a412e9873803de2cfa858.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 07:01   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
I have a question for some of you who might be more aware of the driving dynamics of an AT vs a manual transmission - specially when driving in the hills.

I live between Purola/Uttarkashi and Dehradun and a lot (50% or more) of my driving in the Jimny will be on mountain roads.

Would the manual transmission work better than the AT?

Specially if one encounters a sudden steep stretch or a quick overtake on a curvy road. Some of you who are aware of the climb to Landhour in Mussoorie or even the steep climb to Rajpur might be able to understand this situation.

Currently, I've booked an AT but I'm reconsidering if I should shift the booking to a Manual Transmission Jimny.

Thanks
I suggest stick with the AT. The 4 speed in Jimny also gets an O/D mode on/off button which could effectively disable the 4th gear. This would be a boon in hilly regions as the gearbox will remain in 2nd - 3rd for 99% of time giving out best engine braking and be in power/torque zone.
p.s. I regularly drive my AT Scorpio in hills.
purohitanuj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 18:47   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door production to commence in April.

For the domestic market, Maruti is allotting around 7,000 units of the Jimny per month.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-20230303064159_jimny_front_quarter.jpg

- Maruti to export a third of Jimny SUVs
- All-electric Jimny coming in 2026 (3d guise for Europe)
- Aims to build around 1 lakh units every year. Out of this, Maruti will allot around 66 percent for domestic sales and the remaining will be earmarked for exports.-

Maruti is expected to price the Jimny in the region of Rs 12 lakh and it is likely to go on sale in May 2023.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd March 2023 at 18:52.
volkman10 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 08:11   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

For the domestic market, Maruti is allotting around 7,000 units of the Jimny per month.

Attachment 2424742

- Aims to build around 1 lakh units every year. Out of this, Maruti will allot around 66 percent for domestic sales and the remaining will be earmarked for exports.-

Maruti is expected to price the Jimny in the region of Rs 12 lakh and it is likely to go on sale in May 2023.

Link
Something doesn't add up. 66% of 1 Lac is 66000. Per month this is 5500 only. On the other hand they are saying that they will be allotting 7000 cars per month to India. Where is the balance of 1500 cars going to come.from??
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 09:21   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Something doesn't add up. 66% of 1 Lac is 66000. Per month this is 5500 only. On the other hand they are saying that they will be allotting 7000 cars per month to India. Where is the balance of 1500 cars going to come.from??
My understanding of the article is, they mean to say that 2/3 is to be reserved for domestic and 1/3 for international is the overall big picture goal they aim to achieve.

But 7000 is reserved for domestic to cater to the initial rush.

So that way, the numbers will be skewed initially and can layer be prorated based on demand. They got an obligation for domestic market first. Good to know they’re prioritising us first.

Basically their aim is 10-11K units of production per month and not 3K as previously stated.

This could also imply that their long silence is eerily long enough for a lot of people to cancel and move to a different product at this point since showrooms and the media started to speak about months and months of waiting with no idea which is in turn becoming loss of sales to MS. Which is technically true. Their aim is mass market and mass production. Their very bread and butter. They’re not Toyota/BMW/Audi etc who have limited volume and high price. They’re low price and high volume.

Their ultimate goal is to do around 1 Lakh units per annum.

So their priority is domestic markets as the 3D has Japanese production facilities till they can clear up the inventories and pending orders, since the 5D isn’t launched in international markets.

Probably they will launch the 5D in the international markets once the 3D ones are satisfied or they can even convert some of those 3D to 5D sales and help stabilise the demand for domestic market first and then take a decision at a future point for exports.

It could be either way, but the bottom line is - we, early bookers, have a good chance we get out babes in a couple of months.

Last edited by AjayV : 4th March 2023 at 09:32.
AjayV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 14:35   #741
BHPian

One good thing Mahindra does is that display cars and test drives are available sooner.

Jimny bookings outnumber those of Fronx as per report in this forum. But Maruti decides to bring Fronx first in the showroom to compete with what? Nexon?
IB290 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 14:58   #742
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
One good thing Mahindra does is that display cars and test drives are available sooner.

Jimny bookings outnumber those of Fronx as per report in this forum. But Maruti decides to bring Fronx first in the showroom to compete with what? Nexon?
Maruti is always going to be a mass market middle of the road company. The Fronx is most probably considered by them to be much more of a mass market middle of the road product than the Jimny is. They would have therefore made their production plans accordingly much earlier and this has resulted in the Fronx being available sooner than the Jimny.
Maruti would be quite amazed and probably a bit shell shocked in reference to the Jimny bookings. The team there are definitely not ever going to follow their ‘gut instinct’ or even bother much with forums like this, because these are considered elitist. They will only look at numbers. Now that the Jimny booking numbers are higher than the Fronx, they will hopefully sit up and take notice of the fact that our market has evolved very significantly in these last 6-7 years. So much so that the present day consumer is nothing at all like the previous generation of consumers. Not even Maruti, however much of a bunch of ‘head-in-the-sand’ ostriches they may be, can ignore these facts as borne out by the hard numbers.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 15:08   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post

May be MS knows that many of the Jimny booking could get cancelled as soon as people see its size and experience the driving of rigid axles. This way, the sales people can move them over to Fronx. Business wise, it makes more sense to import and sell Jimny for a premium.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 15:09   #744
BHPian

If they are planning to produce 7k cars starting April they will be able to clear the backlog of 18k pre-bookings within 2.5-3 months. After the initial rush I think they will settle down with a waiting period of 1 month depending on the variant and colour choice. That is commendable and something that only MS can pull off.
Zanskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 16:07   #745
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2424742

Link
I really Hope we get in Europe the 5 door With gasoline engine, i didn't see the point on a EV 100% Jimny, but can be mild hybrid or hybrid

A EV Jimny is a nonsense
wacso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 09:48   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I was just thinking if production is starting next month and 7000 units per month are planned for the Indian Market, the booking backlog will be cleared in about 3 months assuming there will some cancellations of eager beavers.

So, I figure there is no point in giving 25K to the dealer to hold it now knowing that you won't get the vehicle until June 2023. May as well wait until the backlog is cleared and then do a booking after doing a proper test drive and getting the feel of the vehicle.
4x4addict is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 11:41   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
So, I figure there is no point in giving 25K to the dealer to hold it now knowing that you won't get the vehicle until June 2023. May as well wait until the backlog is cleared and then do a booking after doing a proper test drive and getting the feel of the vehicle.
it's not pleasant to find out we (who pre-booked Jimny) have been taken for a ride by MSIL. We didn't create enough noise, rant or questions raised against MSIL's strategy for the Jimny. 25k pre-booking amount is not a small amount considering the OEM, the SUV category, and the market trend for similar cars/ manufacturers.

The Grand Vitara dates are provided below for a comparison:

Pre-booking amount: 10k
Unveil date: 11-July-2022
My pre-booking date: 19-July-2022
Display car in neighbouring Dealership: 31-July-2022
YouTube videos for AWD version: 12-13-Sept-2022
Launch date, price reveal: 26-Sept-2022
Allotment information to pre-booked customers: 26-Sept-2022
Test drive: denied by Dealerships in Gurgaon
Cancellation by Dealership: 10-Oct-2022
Escalation to MSIL regional representatives and resolution: YES, NONE
Cancellation refund: Full refund within TAT of 7 days.

Today is the 53rd day from our pre-booking of the Jimny, and we have absolutely no information, no target timelines from MSIL. I understand this pre-booking, buying a commodity is individual's decision. However, is this a fair practice from MSIL side?

Last edited by RijuC : 5th March 2023 at 11:42.
RijuC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 14:09   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
it's not pleasant to find out we (who pre-booked Jimny) have been taken for a ride by MSIL. We didn't create enough noise, rant or questions raised against MSIL's strategy for the Jimny. 25k pre-booking amount is not a small amount considering the OEM, the SUV category, and the market trend for similar cars/ manufacturers.

Today is the 53rd day from our pre-booking of the Jimny, and we have absolutely no information, no target timelines from MSIL. I understand this pre-booking, buying a commodity is individual's decision. However, is this a fair practice from MSIL side?
Should we draft a letter and do a signature campaign to address this?
Old 6th March 2023, 10:54   #749

Quote:

This news is a huge relief to me. Initially, I was hesitant to book without seeing the car in person and experiencing its driving capabilities. However, as I read about the growing order backlog and the rumored production output of 1500 units per month, I began to worry that there would be a waiting period similar to that of the latest Mahindra SUVs.

Fortunately, with a capacity of 7000 units, the backlog should be cleared within a couple of months. This will give me ample time to see the car in person and take a test drive before making a decision.
Old 6th March 2023, 14:00   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Today is the 53rd day from our pre-booking of the Jimny, and we have absolutely no information, no target timelines from MSIL.
This is a new scam in the last year or two by manufacturers to open up bookings even without announcing the price. This is purely to judge demand and see how far up the pricing tree they can go.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed