Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2023, 13:56   #841
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmzbond View Post
Mahindra showroom is right next, so thought to check Thar, again. I somehow think no one cares there. We stood there for 5 mins and no one came to attend to us. (may be I should carry wands of money in my pocket to show that I am serious buyer). Even if I buy Mahindra, it won't be from concept automobile for sure.
I resonate with your decision of staying away from Koncept Mahindra.

I had given my Thar for servicing(10,000 km) earlier in the day when the service centre opens up, with an understanding that the vehicle would be ready by the evening. I made a request to them for dropping the vehicle after it would have been serviced to my home whenever convenient to them(the distance being 4.8km). They flatly refused citing the reason that what if after delivery, I refuse to pay up and also beat up the delivery driver if he asked me to remit the bill.

There was nothing much to say/request/implore/beg and I walked off from the reception counter. Later, in the evening I reached back to collect the vehicle and saw that it was parked outside amongst other vehicles ready to be delivered. I took the key from the security incharge after making the due payment at the counter and settled inside the vehicle, only to find that it was not cleaned from inside. I reported the matter to the security incharge who informed that he was not responsible for any of this and I must speak to the service manager.
I looked around and finally, after locating the service manager explained the concern to him.
He displayed his inability to oblige, stating that the washing staff had already left and I should come back the next day if the cleaning was to carried out.
Dejected with the response, I drove back home.

Later in the night I had go a little distance in the Thar, when I noticed that it was emitting a little more smoke than usual. I came back home and lifted up the hood just for the heck of it and to my horror, I saw that the engine bay full of dust. Apparently, they had not even lifted it up while servicing it. The oil filler cap was equally dusty being untouched by anyone, which explained the smoke....they had not replaced the engine oil!

Obviously, I never got my vehicle in the vicinity ever and have been recommending the same to others.
susan3004 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 13:59   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Fan View Post
Does Jimny come with DRls? No mention of DRLs anywhere.
Nope it doesn't. It's pretty old school.

PS: fog lights are the DRLs in jimny as per some sources, they are always ON.

Last edited by ToThePoint : 17th March 2023 at 14:06. Reason: Added a note
ToThePoint is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 14:57   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Unless you can put serious weight on that tray at the back, which I doubt, the 5 door thar obliterates it (bar pricing.)
Thar & Jimny are in different leagues.

Let's set aside all pros & cons of both vehicles and go purely on the product.

Thar is a "Chinese Copy" of Wrangler at affordable pricing and reasonable quality. This makes it a much sought after 'Mass' SUV.

Jimny is a "Legacy" that Suzuki is proud of and many auto enthusiasts swear by. We are finally getting an 'Original Product' in the Indian Market. The pricing may be unreasonable but it may not make much of a difference for the discerning buyer, since it is a "Class SUV'.

Many like me; will rather go with our brains and prefer a Massy Thar (no qualms about owning a copied design) than go with our hearts for the Classy Jimny.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th March 2023 at 06:32. Reason: Quoted post trimmed. Please quote only relevant portion.
INDIAN_VAGABOND is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 15:12   #844
Senior - BHPian

Oh God, this Jimny has put my integrity in question

We got an Ertiga back in Mar 2019, at that time the Automatic variant did not have all the important bells and whistles like rear camera and touch screen infotainment so we got the manual top end variant. My wife was dejected as she was very clear that she would not drive the manual variant.

We had made peace with this, the Ertiga proved herself and exceeded our expectations in the last 4 years of ownership. But two things happened:

1. We survived the pandemic and my outlook towards life changed after April 2021 (came out of a delicate situation). Gone are the days of delaying stuff (as long as they are within reasonable conditions)
2. Maruti decided to bring the Jimny (Gypsy) back, something I always wanted to own since I was a kid. And it has an Automatic Transmission !

I showed a walkaround video of the car to my wife, and she said "Can't we sell our Ertiga and get the automatic variant ?"

Now that the seed has been planted in my brain, I have seriously started wondering if this is the best thing to do. My heart has already said yes.

Ever since things started becoming normal, my wife has been thinking of getting an automatic car for her personal commitments as we both spend a lot of time outside our home. Although a 7 seater is extremely useful, 95% of the times, the last row of my Ertiga is kept flat. The Jimny fits all the requirements my wife has from a car: Its compact, the bonnet is visible from driver's seat, and it has AT. Me too, this car feels right, she has a tried and tested K15B engine, so I know its limitations and I am a sedate driver anyway. It has enough space to carry stuff with three onboard. I know the ride quality won't be as good as the Ertiga, but that is something I am ready to sacrifice. Who knows, I'll actually start off-roading with this.

I told my wife that there is going to be waiting period for this car, so she suggested to book one right now, and see how much price we are getting for the Ertiga and if we get a reasonably good price, we jump in and get this or drop the idea completely!

So tell me folks, what do I do ?

(There goes my Friday productivity down the drain)

Last edited by NiInJa : 17th March 2023 at 15:13.
NiInJa is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 15:32   #845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAN_VAGABOND View Post
Jimny is a "Legacy" that Suzuki is proud of and many auto enthusiasts swear by. We are finally getting an 'Original Product' in the Indian Market..
Nope, Gypsy`s origins can be traced to a different company who sold it to Suzuki and it is based on some sort of a Jeep, perhaps Mitsubishi Jeep which was available in Japan at that time.

Mahindra has been in this game of Jeep building a few decades earlier on and made them pretty much continuously to this day.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 15:42   #846
KPR
BANNED

Thar (& now Jimny) may be the kind of cars with bare minimum in lower variant with steel rims looks so nice to my eyes.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 16:54   #847

I have an important question here, since few example's of jimny's are now in showroom on display has anyone actually tired to operate rear door power window's, I find no mention of this anywhere yet but if you see the rear window glass it has some sort of vertical divider, so curious to know how it operates, anyone please ?
Old 17th March 2023, 18:19   #848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnftech View Post
I have an important question here, since few example's of jimny's are now in showroom on display has anyone actually tired to operate rear door power window's, I find no mention of this anywhere yet but if you see the rear window glass it has some sort of vertical divider, so curious to know how it operates, anyone please ?
The rear glass is vertically divided into two portions so that one portion of it (front) can go down completely without the wheel arch in the door obstructing it. This is quite common in MSIL cars. A Swift's rear window glass also is divided like this. A Polo or a Punto in comparison has a single glass and hence cannot go down completely when opened. Looks-wise, a single glass looks nice when closed.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 18:28   #849
BHPian

I am really hoping that this car is at least 4 star rated in crash test, it can be my next car but putting money knowingly on a vehicle with an unknown safety rating is
But the looks and dimensions of Jimny is pulling me towards itself
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 18:41   #850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
So tell me folks, what do I do ?
Book it and then decide? At most they will deduct 500 if you don’t go ahead?

Jimny will surely have a long waiting period. Display cars and test drives should allow you to evaluate your decision better, and these are just about making their way to the dealers now.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 18:44   #851
BHPian

One question to people having seen the car: is there a switch to deactivate the front passenger airbag?
Given the limited space in rear, people with 2 kids might need to put the elder one up front.
Thar has that switch.
Old 17th March 2023, 19:37   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Unless you can put serious weight on that tray at the back, which I doubt, the 5 door thar obliterates it (bar pricing.)

I've seen the 5D Thar in person. I have a few words of condolences to the Jimny.... They'll perhaps get a 3-4 month headstart on the Thar, but that's about it.

=================

*tough steering on a semi rally car is perfect. I needn't hear otherwise.
Gypsy being a childhood dream car, I'm a little hurt by your comments actually.

On a more serious note:
I live in Himachal and Gypsy commands a level of respect that no other car does. It has won numerous Raids, and till date is still the go to car for extreme work. A gypsy from one of the last batches was recently sold for more than what a new Thar is worth. So there is enough market and appetite for both cars.

Granted that Jimny is not Gypsy and only time will tell if it is a worthy successor. Maruti is well known for making "light" cars so I agree on safety issue here. Most Indian manufacturers and International manufacturers making cars in india need to up their game and give us safer cars. We have the wallet to pay for safety I believe!

I think they will price it competitively and make money on accessories.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th March 2023 at 12:03. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
R.I.P is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 19:52   #853
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Jimny to be launched soon, earlier than expected.

Shashank Srivastava, Executive Director of Maruti Suzuki India Ltd:

Quote:
In the entry SUV space, we introduced Jimny and Front and we will start selling them by the end of March- April. The response is good with 600-650 bookings every day for Jimny. We will start selling by the end of March and April and it will reflect next year.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th March 2023 at 19:53.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 22:42   #854
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Nope, Gypsy`s origins can be traced to a different company who sold it to Suzuki and it is based on some sort of a Jeep, perhaps Mitsubishi Jeep which was available in Japan at that time.

Mahindra has been in this game of Jeep building a few decades earlier on and made them pretty much continuously to this day.
Nope, you are wrong. Jimny had nothing to with Mitsubishi, and the entire history of Jimny is available in web and Wikipedia, nothing to speculate.

Suzuki bought 'Hope Motor company' which manufactured a small off roader with a Mitsubishi 350cc engine named Hopestar, It sold only 45 units of this offroader before Suzuki bought it in late 60s.

Suzuki modified and reengineered it and put their own engine in it and sold it as LJ10 to fit the kei car regulations at that time. But within the next decade, every thing was changed including engine from 350 to 539 to 800cc.

The second generation was the SJ series which came to India as Gypsy. But it was a completely different vehicle when compared to the first gen as the kei car regulations of Japan allowed a bigger vehicle size and engine by that time (80s)

The third generation never reached our shores but was completely different compared to 2nd gen. (90s end to 2017).

The 4th gen again has come to India again now and is vastly different in its own right.

In contrast to this, Mahindra largely left the Willys Jeep untouched and manufactured old tech for 50+ years, similar to what RE did. There is no 'legacy' so to speak, only license to manufacture from Willys.

And the legacy of 'Thar' only starts in 2011 when 1st gen was launched, just 12 years. While Suzuki used the 'Jimny' moniker in Japan even for the 1st gen (from 70s, 50+ years)

Last edited by tarmacnaut : 17th March 2023 at 23:03.
tarmacnaut is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 22:45   #855
AZT
BHPian

I've never done this for That but would definitely strike a conversation with a Jimny owner. Such a cool looking car. And the colour is breathtaking.

Can't wait for the Team-bhp official review.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks