Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2023, 00:41   #856
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
I resonate with your decision of staying away from Koncept Mahindra.
I've had wonderful experience with Koncept Gurgaon.. Home pickup and delivery with car in the absolute mint condition.

I remember on my first service I was willing to spend like 20k on accessories with door protection and what not. My advisor was like "Sir look kharab ho jaayegi kyun paise waste kar rahe ho"
vellatechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 02:00   #857
Senior - BHPian

Was lucky enough to check out the Jimny recently and thought i'll add a few observations. (For context: I don't intend to use Jimny as a primary or am a hardcore offroader)

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_0056.jpeg

Here is what I think:
  • It's quite smaller than I expected, but I like it. I am not into the whole butch SUV thing at all and prefer compact dimensions. Heck I know there is no chance of the 3 door coming, would have preferred that even more.
  • I did not like the huge gaps in the wheel well where you can literally see the chassis and other items mounted on it. Hope there are some aftermarket cladding options available
  • Although folks were rocking and poking the car from every direction I did not feel that it's overly flimsy but is built to a cost (for the metal bits). In terms of the insides, switchgear, gear levers, screen etc. I was satisfied with the quality.
  • I am an average-built guy and I'm sure I'd never want to be in the back seat of this for extended periods of time.
  • Boot space is poor, you wont be able to fit any large suitcase in my opinion.
  • I don't feel the suspension will be liveable in a city like NCR where average speeds are higher
  • Rim size felt small in proportion, tire width of 195 felt sufficient.
  • The light in the boot and insides reminded me of my dad's 800 from the 90's, they are functionally quite poor.
  • I feel lot of folks who wanted macho suv will cancel their booking when they see the size.

Overall I'm very excited, as someone who is not into off roading and simply buying this as a fun car to have. It ticks all the boxes for me. I love the way it looks. I don't intend to mod the car much apart from helping it become more liveable (suspension, cladding etc.). In fact I'm excited to take it to off roading school and try to learn. The size makes it perfect for novice off roaders like me who want to get into this hobby.

I also had so much fun talking to random people there to just try and understand what people are feeling. There were you tubers to off road enthusiasts in wheelchair who intend to mod the Jimny to the max. I feel this car attracts the happy kind of people

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th March 2023 at 11:59. Reason: fixed typo
quickdraw is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 06:39   #858
Senior - BHPian

For those who are on the sidelines because of the lack of cup holders there is hope for you.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-dsc_67221647962901567.jpg

And more at https://streettracklife.com/search?p...y&type=product Fret not. It's just a matter of time before similar accessories are made available in the Indian market if they are not already. The aftermarket for the Jimny is mind-boggling.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 18th March 2023 at 06:41.
shibujp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 07:00   #859
th2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I feel this car attracts the happy kind of people
This line will make a brilliant ad campaign for any brand.
th2 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 11:00   #860
BHPian

Jimny and Alto spotted side by side-

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-marutijimnyvsalto01.jpeg

Source- Rushlane
Emvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 11:31   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Okay, now that's one tiny car! Very niche market, the Thar probably will retain more sales.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 11:32   #862
BHPian

Pricing is the key. Likely to be on the higher side else it would have come out by now.
IB290 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 12:06   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Unless you can put serious weight on that tray at the back, which I doubt, the 5 door thar obliterates it (bar pricing.)

I've seen the 5D Thar in person. I have a few words of condolences to the Jimny.... They'll perhaps get a 3-4 month headstart on the Thar, but that's about it.

==================
*tough steering on a semi rally car is perfect. I needn't hear otherwise.
A Jimny is a Jimny and Jimny will be mild off-roader with modification? Jimny is way more capable than Thar with its stock config. Do some research first.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th March 2023 at 21:03. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
BMW_Fan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 12:27   #864
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2430227

Source- Rushlane
Can someone who is going to see the Jimny 5 door in showroom check the rear seat width. We still don't know when the Jimny will be displayed in Bangalore showrooms.

My Alto Type-2 has a rear seat width of around 44.5 inches (1130 mm) which is officially a 5 seater.
Old 18th March 2023, 12:30   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
Can someone who is going to see the Jimny 5 door in showroom check the rear seat width. We still don't know when the Jimny will be displayed in Bangalore showrooms.

My Alto Type-2 has a rear seat width of around 44.5 inches (1130 mm) which is officially a 5 seater.
Please see my post here (Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023). The width of rear seat if 44inches. Also note that there is a hump (with good height) in the middle for the shaft running below.
purohitanuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 12:35   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post

Skip to 4:00.
You will get a fair idea of the space in the second row.
Emvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 13:12   #867
BHPian

Some people saying Jimny is small etc...

Yes, it is small because - small is a character of this car, a feature of the car. That is how it wants to be. Its not a weakness.

There is a reason why in Japan (among most technologically advanced and civilized country in the world) Honda N-Box is the top selling car.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-honda.jpg  

aerohit is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 14:07   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Fan View Post
A Jimny is a Jimny and Jimny will be mild off-roader with modification? Jimny is way more capable than Thar with its stock config. Do some research first.
For all the Doubting Thomas’ here’s a little something that will help settle the dust (no puns intended)

For a recently developing automotive culture, yet to have a real taste of engineering marvels in odd-shaped/non-traditional body shapes, we unfortunately equate size as paramount. The Jimny, as per universal media, is everything one requires as a daily driver and a weekend explorer, if you can convince yourself to look past comforts learned over the last decade. With a lengthier wheelbase, more modern suspension, the Jimny 5 door will be as different from the Gypsy as naan from pizza. There’s really no reason for this to be compared to any other vehicle in the market, much as you’re tempted to bring in the Thar. There isn’t really a product like this in the Indian or international market at the moment that’s as popular. For Indians, if MSIL doesn’t aim to make it a premium offering - it’ll combine the footprint of a WagonR, the efficiency of a Brezza and the capability factor, unseen in a product as compact and useable. That my friends, is the recipe for a cult product. It all depends on MSIL and their sleuths monitoring social chatter to gauge the pulse of its customers.
SUVolens is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 14:11   #869
BANNED

Quote:

Attachment 2430227

Source- Rushlane
The image is distorted and seems the full image was taken with altos parked on both sides, but rushlane cropped it into two and the cropped one is what you have posted

The altos at the edges of the frame will look larger due to wide angle distortion and Jimny at the center will definitely look small, this is the case with all smart phone images.

And the Alto on the left seems to be parked higher, the height difference is visible on the Alto parked on the right.

It is a small car nonetheless, but is definitely bigger than Alto, and people have already shown this by sitting inside and even in the boot.

Below is the actual image

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot_20230318140350637edit_com.brave.browser.jpg

Last edited by tarmacnaut : 18th March 2023 at 14:12.
tarmacnaut is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 18:53   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Per google it is 1720 for Jimny vs 1850-1920 for Thar ( per different google results) Wagon R is 1675, so I don't think Jimny can stand anywhere near to Thar as far as road presence is concerned
This also mean Jimny can go in narrow alleys and trails where can't take a Thar. Many folks value utility over road presence when purchasing a vehicle.
ExplorerXIII is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed