Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2023, 19:01   #871
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
The image is distorted and seems the full image was taken with altos parked on both sides, but rushlane cropped it into two and the cropped one is what you have posted

The altos at the edges of the frame will look larger due to wide angle distortion and Jimny at the center will definitely look small, this is the case with all smart phone images.

And the Alto on the left seems to be parked higher, the height difference is visible on the Alto parked on the right.

It is a small car nonetheless, but is definitely bigger than Alto, and people have already shown this by sitting inside and even in the boot.

Below is the actual image

Attachment 2430262
Today again, I visited prem motors gurgaon with my wife to show her jimny on display. She drives Alto 800 and she is sold on upgrading to jimny.
As far as comparing size to Alto, I think it's camera angle. I have seen few ladies at prem motors and pasco (including my wife) who loved it. I won't be surprised if lot many female drivers you see driving this car. I realised one thing, it has little cramped space for driver legs (esp on left side where there is dead pedal). I drive Honda city and I can literally sit in high squat position, but this jimny space was very less. So, for long drives, it may be a deal breaker for few.
Wish they had option to increase seat height also, as for average height ladies, it would have helped them to be get better view.
But overall, I am not changing my decision to go for thar.
Their finishing of body paint especially on underbody areas near wheel need improvement. Overall a good package, its just right proportion for family (of 4).
The car looks just the right proportion and definitely a head Turner.
jimmzbond is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 20:38   #872
BHPian

I Visited the Nexa Showroom in Chandigarh today to see the Jimny in person. I am an ex Gypsy 1.3 king owner. Sold mine in 2017. Here are my few observations.

1. Jimny looks small when you stand by it’s side. The overall hight of the car is low as compared to CSUVs in the market. However I didn’t find a problem with headroom in the car. I am 5’11” and had enough headroom.
2. The width is definitely a problem, specially people with little heavy frame. If you are sitting with a passenger you will definitely rub elbows and shoulders too. Couple of more inches would have made it perfect.
3. The sheet metal is definitely better than other Maruti cars which we have on the road today. I tried flexing the doors with my thumb but there was very little flex.
4. The boot although small however is definitely usable. You could easily pack one medium sized suitcase and one small bag without any hassle.
5. Paint Quality also felt great.
6. The suspension should be far more livable in city as compared to Gypsy.

On price, the SA said prices would be revealed by April 15th and it should range between 11.5 lacs to 15 lacs.

Last edited by nik0502 : 18th March 2023 at 20:49.
nik0502 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 08:24   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
Can someone who is going to see the Jimny 5 door in showroom check the rear seat width. We still don't know when the Jimny will be displayed in Bangalore showrooms.

My Alto Type-2 has a rear seat width of around 44.5 inches (1130 mm) which is officially a 5 seater.
Me and Mrs (both 2XL) could comfortably sit in the second row with a small gap to keep her purse. The rear seats are nicely contoured. I liked the 2nd row seats more than the driver's seat.

Later, I occupied the 2nd row with two more fellows, they were slimmer than me. This 3 persons in second row is strictly for extreme emergency case. The Jimny is legally a 4 seater car, your RC will have that information. For any extra person on board, you will get challaned and in case of accident no insurance will be honoured. Take a note of this. Jimny is for 4 persons only, you can't accomodate the 5th person/ kid.

Hence please do not have this doubt whether Jimny can accomodate the 5th person. During my visit I have explained everyone that it is a 4 seater and not 5 seater.

Seat foam quality is extremely poor. Seats are too soft. Second row seat bench depth should have been 2 inches more. It's too narrow now.

You can see me in Kinetic Yellow Tee-shirt sharing the rear seat with two more fellows in this YouTube at 06:10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmzbond View Post
Their finishing of body paint especially on underbody areas near wheel need improvement.
This is due to rubberized protective paint. The unevenness of the paint finish there is a good indication and not bad.

Last edited by RijuC : 19th March 2023 at 08:53.
RijuC is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:34   #874
BHPian

Gypsy, with its height had a great presence and still has due to defence/police using it. Even for serious offroading, car image is important and here's where a tiny looking vehicle disappoints.

On a trail/route you'll have much less traffic and hence safety is a concern. You'll want to be "perceived" as a bid daddy, rather than thought of as travelling with a toy (may not be true but perception counts).

Rough comparison: think how you'll perceive , as non petrolhead, a fully geared biker on a mid spec RE vs someone in casual clothes on a bike 2x the price.

Last edited by dsr001 : 19th March 2023 at 11:35.
dsr001 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:51   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr001 View Post
On a trail/route you'll have much less traffic and hence safety is a concern. You'll want to be "perceived" as a bid daddy, rather than thought of as travelling with a toy (may not be true but perception counts).
That is your personal perception. My perception is that Jimny is Bruce Lee amongst the crowd of fake WWF bulked up fighters. A one inch punch of Bruce Lee is enough to destroy perceptions.

Jokes apart, I think it is a purpose built 4x4 that can also double as a city runabout and it has already proven its mettle against the best of 4x4 vehicles out there globally.
Zanskar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 12:09   #876
BHPian

Quote:
The image is distorted and seems the full image was taken with altos parked on both sides, but rushlane cropped it into two and the cropped one is what you have posted

Attachment 2430262
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Some people saying Jimny is small etc...

Yes, it is small because - small is a character of this car, a feature of the car. That is how it wants to be. Its not a weakness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Okay, now that's one tiny car! Very niche market, the Thar probably will retain more sales.
The Jimny is the smallest. But it has its own merits definitely. Its compact size, nimble manners, solid axles front and back, make this a mountain goat that is specifically suited to certain applications which bigger jeeps simply wont cut it. The 5 door at launch, means more family cars and daily drivers are also going to pull into the showroom to check it out.

Mark my words: The Jimny will democratise 4WDing in India and make the offroading culture accessible to more people than ever before.

Speaking of Size, Photographs would always infuse an illusion of optical perspective. The best side by side size comparison based on actual computerised CAD drafted images between 3 door and 5 doors of Thar Gurkha and Jimny is here. This is exactly to scale.

vigneshkumar31 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 15:12   #877
BHPian

It's funny seeing the general audience on YouTube and on the internet turned off by its smaller dimensions and complaining about how this doesn't have that "road presence" of a Thar.
While the enthusiasts on Tbhp and elsewhere are happy that there's finally a compact capable off-roader that can go on those super narrow trails where the bigger ones can't.
TaurusSHO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 16:55   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post

So tell me folks, what do I do ?
I have the exact situation at home. We both work from home and travel has been now limited to less than 1000 Km a month. My wife will has always wanted to buy a car of her own. She earns decently but has been putting it off because we are not able to justify the need of a second car. She hardly goes out alone and we mostly travel together. We have a Duster AWD and the only reason that keeps her away from driving it is that she finds the manual quite cumbersome. Cant blame her as the cluth needs some strong muscles.

A Jimny automatic would be an ideal choice if priced decently. I will be happy with a low ranged equipped 4WD and she can have a small car with auto GB.
Thats what I have in mind now.. sell the Duster AWD and get a ney Jimny auto.

Of course it all depends on how Maruthi price it. I am not willing to pay more than 10L on road after exchange.
nettooran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 17:52   #879
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if the car is on display at any of the Nexa showrooms at Pune?
Old 19th March 2023, 18:46   #880

Dear bhpians,

Just to share my experience why I booked the auto variant. I have booked the alpha AT (white color) on 14th January and that could translate into an early delivery (I hope). I am from Kinnaur (Himachal) and work in Mumbai. So Jimny AT will give me a fuss free driving experience in traffic heavy Mumbai or any metro and once/twice a year, I would like to take the Jimny up in the mountains. I have a Brezza (LXI, manual) back at home and didn't have any problems using it in the mountains. The reason to buy Brezza (base model) was the Maruti service centre available in Kinnaur, less gadgetry/sensors in base model which are prone to go off in the treacherous roads and climate. My wife owns a Nissan Magnite , XV Premium CVT and recently I drove it in Kinnaur and went to Sissu via Atal Tunnel. The auto in Magnite is butter smooth and nowhere (even in very very steep inclines in Kinnaur) I had to use the L mode. Only grim point was I couldn't go near to my house as the path (not road ) was too tight and only alto types footprint vehicles were taking that path. So I had to park the magnite 200-300 meter down and carry all the heavy luggage right up to my home (needs lot of effort) and there itself patted my back for the decision for booking the Jimny.

In a nutshell, I can use the Jimny Auto for daily office commute in Mumbai and will not have to think twice of taking the mountain goat right in front of my home in all weather conditions.

I just want Maruti not to get greedy by keeping the top end automatic at around 15 lakh (ex-showroom) or else I have to go for the zeta.
balmagbrezjim is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 19:52   #881

Available for viewing on 31st March and 1st April at Nexa Sarjapur (Pratham Motors) Bengaluru.
trishulpani is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 23:05   #882
BHPian

As a two-time Gypsy owner (410W & 413W)' and having waited more than two years, I am sorely disappointed from all the reports here and on YouTube !

Interiors are probably smaller than Gypsy -- my Gypsies with second row front facing seats have huge legroom even with the front seats pushed back fully. The dickey can accommodate folding jump seats, though two adults have to 'scissor' their legs to fit in. These are not possible in the Jimny.

Headroom is also less. And though the newer car is supposed to be four inches wider, that is probably taken up by the door cladding. Even then there is no place on the door pads for water bottle or even the window glass switches! Three still cannot sit side by side.

To make matters worse, now I learn that the turning circle is also huge, just like the Gypsy. Driving on narrow lanes and U-turns are going to stay as difficult.

So all we get is the 1500cc engine in place of the 1300cc one, power steering, headlight washers etc, and the "Brake LSD". And a more modern interior with 9/7 inch screen, remote locking etc.

I would any day go for the Thar 5-door, if it was here. Other deterrents for Mahindra are the bad service, and gas-guzzling gasoline engine : I prefer petrol but would still have tried diesel were it not for the DPF and DEF hassles.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th March 2023 at 05:05. Reason: Extra smileys deleted
SnakemanJohny is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 00:42   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Like a thar is a thar, A Jimny is a Jimny.

The beauty of Jimny is, it is pulling even people who never even considered 'Thar', into the segment.
I know a handful who had no idea about offroading, now looking seriously into Jimny as it is petrol with great mileage, small for city usage while being a true blue off roader with better specs than 'Thar' like solid front axles. These people know that 'Thar' existed before.

Many who are looking for a second small car in the city/town but do not want to settle for tiny hatchbacks as they have good budget will automatically buy Jimny and that is the target market for Jimny in my opinion -> Urban and Sub Urban small car buyers with extra budget to explore something lifestyle oriented. Thar cannot satisfy this as it is way too wide for city usage and returns poor mileage.
Meanwhile the engineers at MSL who put 4x4 as standard or the hardcore offroaders ---> .
"The Maruti Suzuki Jimny gets ALLGRIP PRO 4WD technology as standard". "No idea about offroading" group would wonder what is the second shift lever for and maybe never use it in years.
hp52_vishy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 08:55   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
I have the exact situation at home. We both work from home and travel has been now limited to less than 1000 Km a month.
Of course it all depends on how Maruthi price it. I am not willing to pay more than 10L on road after exchange.
Thanks for sharing. I am in the exact same dilemma. I don't want to take a huge loss in exchanging an excellent car to the Jimny. Just waiting for the prices to be announced.

On that note, My wife and her friend got a chance to visit a Nexa showroom. Unfortunately, the car wasn't available for display and the Sales person said it will be coming in June. My wife got the brochure and asked him to give a ball-park figure for the price, he said it will be around 13.5 Lakhs on-road for Zeta and 15.5 Lakhs on-road for Alpha. My wife did not ask if its for the automatic or manual variant

I will not rely on this information to be honest and would suggest folks to take it with loads of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Any idea if the car is on display at any of the Nexa showrooms at Pune?
Not available yet at Kothari (Viman Nagar), he even said it will arrive by May/June.

Sehgal people haven't dropped a message to me yet, so safe to say it hasn't arrived there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp52_vishy View Post
"No idea about offroading" group would wonder what is the second shift lever for and maybe never use it in years.
I am one of those 'No Idea about offroading', but what makes you think I will not try it if I get access to such car at a reasonable price ?
NiInJa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 11:40   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp52_vishy View Post
Meanwhile the engineers at MSL who put 4x4 as standard or the hardcore offroaders ---> .
"The Maruti Suzuki Jimny gets ALLGRIP PRO 4WD technology as standard". "No idea about offroading" group would wonder what is the second shift lever for and maybe never use it in years.
Do you have the information that there is a void in Indian market- no Petrol AWD with Automatic Transmission is available below 2 million OTR price bracket?

Most of these newbies do not need a 4x4. However, we are compelled to choose this Jimny 4x4 since there is no other AWD available. Almost all such non-off-roading enthusiasts felt in their life that at some point an AWD or 4H mode was required in some tough scenario.

Nobody is a born driver or a 4x4 off-roading enthusiast! There is always a first day, a learning curve for everyone. There could be some newbies who fly aircrafts or give a lift to the spaceships, run nuke reactors or subs, operate extreme machines in their daily professional life; but never shifted the 4x4 lever from 2H to 4H or 4L. They are rigorously trained professionals, just for example, any Indian Nuclear professional or Space technologists are trained in almost all major engineering disciplines. Do you really think they can't learn this 4x4 off-roading usage properly?

A big world universe exists beyond 4x4 off-roading, don't remain tunnel-visioned. Have you operated and controlled a Turbo-compressor @100,000 rpm+ ? Do you believe these cryogenics experts can't learn how to redline an Octavia or Sports cars?

Last edited by RijuC : 20th March 2023 at 11:46.
RijuC is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed