Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2023, 11:41   #886
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Looking at the discussion here, i am glad that a small, compact and a capable car is launched. i am tired of looking at bulked up hatches in the name of SUVs that are powered by puny little engines. Jimny seems to be a great product.

I am an enthusiast with preference towards basics than features. still, i felt that the interior is missus annoyer. i mean, even if you want to let go of modernity, how would you convince the missus to go for this car? the interiors do need some upgrade. for some strange reason, it reminds me of the ancient Matiz that we used to travel back in the college days.

the biggest selling points for me is that the bonnet is visible and the non AMT auto.
flashgo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 11:47   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I am really hoping that this car is at least 4 star rated in crash test, it can be my next car but putting money knowingly on a vehicle with an unknown safety rating is
But the looks and dimensions of Jimny is pulling me towards itself
It is hightime for indian buyers not to overlook the safety ratings like gncap unless one is hardpressed on budget and need to move to 4 wheeler from 2 wheeler.

In all other cases let's boycott anything with scores less than 4
rkmountain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 16:27   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Speaking of Size, Photographs would always infuse an illusion of optical perspective. The best side by side size comparison based on actual computerised CAD drafted images between 3 door and 5 doors of Thar Gurkha and Jimny is here. This is exactly to scale.

https://Youtu.be/DHuk134lLxc
Thanks for this. I have made a quick comparison of height of driver / view of driver between the three.

Front view
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-gurkhavsjimnyvsthar_front.jpg

Side View
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-gurkhavsjimnyvsthar_side.jpg
purohitanuj is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 19:46   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Thanks for sharing. I am in the exact same dilemma. I don't want to take a huge loss in exchanging an excellent car to the Jimny. Just waiting for the prices to be announced.
?
I think you should not be exchanging any car other than another 4x4 for the Jimny. If it's AWD you want get the GV. All the creature comforts plus AWD.

The Jimny is essentially a hardcore off roader with decent practical features to make it easy to live with. Maruti learnt from the Gypsy. But don't expect it to be as comfortable as an SUV or a car for road travel and long distances. You can definitely drive it long distances but you need to respect the fact that it is an offroader and not meant to be a fast comfortable cruiser over long distances. If you are expecting that AND it's offroadability, chances are that you will either sell it in a short while or find yourself getting another car to do the mile munching duties. Better to keep the current car and buy the Jimny as a second car. If at all you are convinced about the all round nature of the Jimny you can sell your current car later.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 21:47   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmountain View Post
Maruti should consider a RWD version also. 90 % people do not need 4*4. Thar 2wd will have serious competition in 2wd jimny
That's a good suggestion and I wonder why MSL didnt consider this as it would've increased the price band further (which MSL usually likes to do) and offered a similar option as the retro Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanskar View Post
That is your personal perception. My perception is that Jimny is Bruce Lee amongst the crowd of fake WWF bulked up fighters. A one inch punch of Bruce Lee is enough to destroy perceptions.

Jokes apart, I think it is a purpose built 4x4 that can also double as a city runabout and it has already proven its mettle against the best of 4x4 vehicles out there globally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmagbrezjim View Post
Dear bhpians,

Just to share my experience why I booked the auto variant....was the Maruti service centre available in Kinnaur, less gadgetry/sensors in base model which are prone to go off in the treacherous roads and climate. My wife owns a Nissan Magnite , XV Premium CVT and recently I drove it in Kinnaur and went to Sissu via Atal Tunnel. The auto in Magnite is butter smooth and nowhere (even in very very steep inclines in Kinnaur) I had to use the L mode. Only grim point was I couldn't go near to my house as the path (not road ) was too tight and only alto types footprint vehicles were taking that path. So I had to park the magnite 200-300 meter down and carry all the heavy luggage right up to my home (needs lot of effort) and there itself patted my back for the decision for booking the Jimny.
That's putting it perfectly- "Bruce Lee amongst WWE behemoths" ! Jimny is the perfect 'nimble and efficient mountain goat' that many hill folk, who can afford it (come May 2023), would add to their garage. Nimble, capable and well engineered. Goes without saying, its a proven product thats been in overseas market for a while now. Check out this comparo with Wrangler and Merc AMG G63. Almost half the size and performs as-well (if not better) while drinking, perhaps, 3-4 times less fuel. Luxury is over-rated, IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusSHO View Post
It's funny seeing the general audience on YouTube and on the internet turned off by its smaller dimensions and complaining about how this doesn't have that "road presence" of a Thar.
While the enthusiasts on Tbhp and elsewhere are happy that there's finally a compact capable off-roader that can go on those super narrow trails where the bigger ones can't.
Well, that general audience expects "road presence, engineering, quality, luxury and price" all together. They will never be satisfied. Indeed, there's lot of junta comparing it to Thar, which isnt fair IMO. Come May 2023- you'll hear them complaining that Thar begins at 10 lakh ex showroom why is the Jimny , being a small car, priced close to it/higher.

The thread should be titled "5 door" rather than "4 door". It's a perfect couple's car as the seats fold into "two beds". MSL calls this out on the official brochure as well. So yes, the two of you, can drive out to the hills over the weekend, offroad to your nook in the woods and camp out for the night or two

Last edited by hp52_vishy : 20th March 2023 at 21:58. Reason: added more comments, which were missed earlier.
hp52_vishy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 23:08   #891
BHPian

A good look at how will the interior look at night. Utilitarian yet modern. Has all the features at least i need. Almost sold on this. The only chink in the armour are those skinny tires. Plan to upgrade the suspension and tyres along with steel wheels on delivery.

jackofsome is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 07:28   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
The beauty of Jimny is, it is pulling even people who never even considered 'Thar', into the segment.
I know a handful who had no idea about offroading, now looking seriously into Jimny as it is petrol with great mileage, small for city usage while being a true blue off roader with better specs than 'Thar' like solid front axles. These people know that 'Thar' existed before.
While it's smaller in footprint compared to Thar, Jimny won't be as city friendly as one thinks, especially now it's clear that the turning radius is as big or more as Gypsy. Being a Gypsy and Thar owner, I can tell you the three point turns are going to be a regular affair with Jimny despite the compact size. U turns at traffic are going to be nightmarish too.

For people who are thinking Jimny is an attractive proposition for city dwelling may well check this part out during test drives. In my guess, it can't be a replacement for city cars like Ignis, Wagon R and the likes. These are the real city slickers. Expecting Jimny to perform the same role is little far fetched.

I'm keen to test drive one and want to find out the above point myself.

cheers,
bibendum
Bibendum90949 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 09:06   #893
BHPian

Driving experience in city can be found the above video. At 8.42 turning radius has been discussed which seems ok for the city.
Vulken Auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 09:46   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=RLwLiKh7Dxc

Driving experience in city can be found the above video. At 8.42 turning radius has been discussed which seems ok for the city.
The turning radius of the 3 door Jimny (as shown in the above video) is 4.9 meters, whereas the 5 door Jimny has a radius of 5.7 meters. That's a lot of difference - and it will make it tougher to do U turns and navigate in tight corners.
dileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 10:22   #895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
In contrast to this, Mahindra largely left the Willys Jeep untouched and manufactured old tech for 50+ years, similar to what RE did. There is no 'legacy' so to speak, only license to manufacture from Willys.

And the legacy of 'Thar' only starts in 2011 when 1st gen was launched, just 12 years. While Suzuki used the 'Jimny' moniker in Japan even for the 1st gen (from 70s, 50+ years)
Jimny, Gypsy, Pajero, Land Cruiser, Land Rover, Patrol - you name it, they all can be traced to CJ of some kind, that is undeniable. Suzuki marketing team can give whatever twist that they want now, but it wont change a thing because war was real and Jeep was very much part of it.

All sort of Jeep-like vehicles arrived afterwards, they all looked similar to Jeep in their first iteration and gradually became something else, mostly closed body wagons.

I hope you have driven a SWB Willys CJ made by Mahindra, You'd know instantly that its not the same as their CL500 or CL550 or Major or MM550 or MM540 Etc because they are all not the same thing.

Perhaps for the casual observer, Jeep is a Jeep and probably don't make any difference.

The point here is Suzuki`s marketing does not make Jimny any more original than Thar - which by the way remains a Jeep to this day and has not become a closed wagon.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st March 2023 at 18:48. Reason: Typos
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 21st March 2023, 10:25   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmountain View Post
Maruti should consider a RWD version also. 90 % people do not need 4*4. Thar 2wd will have serious competition in 2wd jimny
This 90% are just excited about the looks of the Jimny. Once they do a test drive of the car the excitement will die out. The maximum ride comfort it will offer can be comparable to what a WagonR offers. The Jimny doesn't have a space in the spectrum without a low range 4X4.
raj4466 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 11:31   #897
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
For people who are thinking Jimny is an attractive proposition for city dwelling may well check this part out during test drives. In my guess, it can't be a replacement for city cars like Ignis, Wagon R and the likes. These are the real city slickers. Expecting Jimny to perform the same role is little far fetched.

I'm keen to test drive one and want to find out the above point myself.

cheers,
bibendum
While turning radius could be an issue, In a city like Bangalore which is expanding crazy, there will be bad roads, unlaid tarmac, muddy streches etc. for the next 10-15 years.

Just last weekend, I took my Ritz inside bangalore, there was a temple festival on the way (near Huskuru), causing a diversion and had to take one of the worst streches with broken roads cluttered with unscientific speed breakers for atleast 10kms. The skoda rapid before me was struggling at every speed breaker trying not to scrape. While my Ritz did well due to good GC, it still had to go through 'real' axle twisters which was not fun.

Here Jimny should excel, IMO. But only a rented test can confirm this. And yes, the 3 door Jimny could be the 'Unicorn City Car' that India needs, hope Maruti launches this at a later time.

Last edited by tarmacnaut : 21st March 2023 at 11:35.
Old 21st March 2023, 11:41   #898
BHPian

UK suzuki brochure on website for that particular jimny says turning circle is 9.8 m. diameter.?Indian jimny with 5.7 m radius & Power steering should be easy, unlike gypsy.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-web-capture_2132023_113927_cars.suzuki.co.uk.jpeg  

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 21st March 2023 at 11:49.
Old 21st March 2023, 11:49   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
The turning radius of the 3 door Jimny (as shown in the above video) is 4.9 meters, whereas the 5 door Jimny has a radius of 5.7 meters. That's a lot of difference - and it will make it tougher to do U turns and navigate in tight corners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
UK suzuki brochure on website for that particular jimny says turning radius is 9.8 m
I doubt 5.7 is true .. because the Suzuki XL6 which is a proper MUV has a turning radius of 5.2 meters
Old 21st March 2023, 11:55   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I doubt 5.7 is true .. because the Suzuki XL6 which is a proper MUV has a turning radius of 5.2 meters
The India Jimny brochure mentions it as 5.7m

Name:  Screenshot 20230321 at 11.56.30 AM.png
Views: 1005
Size:  33.0 KB

Last edited by dileep : 21st March 2023 at 11:58.
dileep is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed