Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2023, 12:17   #901
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
UK suzuki brochure on website for that particular jimny says turning circle is 9.8 m. diameter.?Indian jimny with 5.7 m radius & Power steering should be easy, unlike gypsy.
I think 9.8m is the diameter as they have mentioned it as Minimum turning circle.

If we divide 9.8m by 2 then we get 4.9m which is the radius as we usually mention this as Minimum turning radius.
bobbyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 12:37   #902
BHPian

I think the turning radius has been kept higher as a safety point of a vehicle with low front tread. If we see the history the early generation of Jimny was once declared unsafe with short wheelbase and low width and rollover issues.
The solid axles may also play some part.
Old 21st March 2023, 12:46   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
The India Jimny brochure mentions it as 5.7m

Attachment 2431560
In that case my 2014 Safari Storme has a better turning radius than Jimny...Surprising. Storme has a turning radius of 5.4 m againt Jimny's 5.7
zadoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 12:52   #904
BHPian

Might be off topic, but I feel biggest usable differentiator between Zeta and Alpha variant is the Cruise control. Specially for somebody interested in Manual variant.

Wanted to check if anybody has been able to install cruise control in K15B Scross/Brezza/Ertiga/XL6?
Old 21st March 2023, 12:56   #905
BHPian

My mother has a Jimny booking but a 5.7 metre turning radius could be a deal breaker!

I had seen the 4.9 m figure for the three door and told myself, Excellent! the Gypsy turning radius issue is history. Clearly not the case..

Considering she’s no Raide de Himalaya type and doesn’t need the rear bench often, I think the obese and overbearing, er, substantial and secure Thar might be better after all.

My Punto with 5.4 m is annoying enough compared to our 2nd gen City (5 m) and Duster (5.2 m).
Old 21st March 2023, 13:02   #906
BHPian

SIZING UP THE SEGMENT

We have seen spy shots and launch photographs of the Jimny. Most of these are weirdly skewed out of perspective and carry a bias of optical illusion based on angle of the shot.

Here are CAD generated images, to scale, sizing up the full segment including the 5 doors with their expected dimensions as indicated.

This should give us an accurate idea of how big or how small is the Jimny, compared to the other desi offroaders in the price band.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimnyvgurkhavsthar.003.jpeg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimnyvgurkhavsthar.005.jpeg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimnyvgurkhavsthar.002.jpeg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-aaux.048.jpeg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-aaux.050.jpeg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-aaux.053.jpeg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimnyvgurkhavsthar.001.jpeg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimnyvgurkhavsthar.004-copy.jpeg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimnyvgurkhavsthar.003-copy.jpeg
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 13:07   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Here are CAD generated images, to scale, sizing up the full segment including the 5 doors with their expected dimensions as indicated.
I can't see anyone downgrading from a Thar to Jimny after looking at these pics.

But yes, I think Jimmy will have a much much bigger impact on the offloading culture and awareness about the 4x4 in India.
vellatechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 13:26   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
I can't see anyone downgrading from a Thar to Jimny after looking at these pics.

But yes, I think Jimmy will have a much much bigger impact on the offloading culture and awareness about the 4x4 in India.
True. Jimny will definitely democratise the off-roading scene and give early access to off-roading for the common daily driver .

Regardless of size difference , each one of these trucks has a specific use case where it cannot be replaced by the others.
Old 21st March 2023, 13:38   #909
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp52_vishy View Post
That's a good suggestion and I wonder why MSL didnt consider this as it would've increased the price band further (which MSL usually likes to do) and offered a similar option as the retro Gypsy :
Gypsy never ever had a 4x2 version.
They sold their 410 alongside the 413 for a time by calling it the Gypsy E.
Considering that the general road conditions in India require good ground clearance and a vehicle which will not falter or flounder in the floods during the monsoons, it will make sense for the Jimny to be offered as a 2WD too.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 14:20   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
The turning radius of the 3 door Jimny (as shown in the above video) is 4.9 meters, whereas the 5 door Jimny has a radius of 5.7 meters. That's a lot of difference - and it will make it tougher to do U turns and navigate in tight corners.
The turning radius of the Maruti Gypsy is 5.9 meters, if I am correct. At 5.7 meters it is less than that of Gypsy, but I feel that 3 point turns and tight U turns in traffic are not going to be as easy as everybody thought. Though it is small in size, back and forth in U turns will be a regular affair.
Akash_1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 16:00   #911
BHPian

If size was the only criteria in buying a car - The Gurkha would have been the best selling vehicle in India today and the Alto will be selling 300 units a month .

There is a lot more considered when you make the decision to sign the cheque ! - I think this so called "small size Jimmy " discussion is going a bit too far .

99.9% of people posting haven't had a look at the car, nor have they booked it (considering its got "only" 23000 bookings till date).

The 1% who will buy it as a fashion statement , will put it up for sale in 6 months - when they realise its not a fashion statement

The 0.1% who remain will keep it and drive it to the fullest and take it to places quietly with respect to the enviorment- Quite unlike the "only size matters " crowd who chose to install 20 inch rims on their shiny new "Full Size " 4*4's and parade them in the Offroad environs of the nearest shopping mall .

Last edited by wbd8779 : 21st March 2023 at 16:08.
wbd8779 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:48   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Gymny, Gypsy, Pajero, Landcruiser, Landrover, Patrol - you name it, they all can be traced to CJ of some kind, that is undeniable.

The point here is Suzuki`s marketing does not make Gymny any more original than Thar
i've a huge disagreement here with you cos of one factor Kosfactor - and that's with the spelling of Jimny in your post.

Even the non Jimny fans would take offence at that and not a pardonable mistake at all on this forum to have spelt an iconic badge wrongly , more so from you.

All in a lighter vein by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
While turning radius could be an issue, In a city like Bangalore which is expanding crazy, there will be bad roads, unlaid tarmac, muddy streches etc. for the next 10-15 years. The skoda rapid before me was struggling at every speed breaker trying not to scrape. While my Ritz did well due to good GC, it still had to go through 'real' axle twisters which was not fun.
Here Jimny should excel, IMO
No doubting Jimny's off roading prowess or it's
capability to take on the rough stuff head on. I was merely suggesting it won't be a city friendly car(which you indicated in your earlier post)considering the huge turning radius for a compact vehicle, even for an off road vast concrete jungle called Bangalore. Of course, there are technical aspects to it's larger turning radius.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 21st March 2023 at 18:15.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 18:08   #913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
i've a huge disagreement here with you cos of one factor Kosfactor - and that's with the spelling of Jimny in your post.

Even the non Jimny fans would take offence at that and not a pardonable mistake at all on this forum to have spelt an iconic badge wrongly , more so from you.

All in a lighter vein by the way.
Guilty as charged Dear Sir.

I am hoping that some of our folks would remove the Jimny badge and attach an MGP Gypsy monogram instead.

Any idea why they dropped that name? That was Iconic indeed.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 18:38   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Guilty as charged Dear Sir.

I am hoping that some of our folks would remove the Jimny badge and attach an MGP Gypsy monogram instead.

Any idea why they dropped that name? That was Iconic indeed.
Probably to keep it simple. Jimny has been around for more than 5 decades and definitely has more recall internationally than Gypsy which is more of a localised brand value.The Jimny is made here and exported everywhere. 5 door Jimny debuts here, with local and international demand catered for. So to maintain parity across global market and avoid confusions, Jimny badge sticks well.

Would’nt be surprised if they reserve Gypsy tag for a special edition later.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 18:44   #915
BHPian

I feel curious about the turning radius of the 5 door thar, ¿It Will be the same as the 3 door?

And remember It got front independent suspension, that's good on road, not so offroad, where extreme angles offroading can cause major failures
Closed Thread

Most Viewed