Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2023, 20:06   #916
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Here is a (very, very) short drive review of the Jimny 4/5 door.

nishsingh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 23:21   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Jimny, Gypsy, Pajero, Land Cruiser, Land Rover, Patrol - you name it, they all can be traced to CJ of some kind, that is undeniable. Suzuki marketing team can give whatever twist that they want now, but it wont change a thing because war was real and Jeep was very much part of it.

All sort of Jeep-like vehicles arrived afterwards, they all looked similar to Jeep in their first iteration and gradually became something else, mostly closed body wagons.

I hope you have driven a SWB Willys CJ made by Mahindra, You'd know instantly that its not the same as their CL500 or CL550 or Major or MM550 or MM540 Etc because they are all not the same thing.

Perhaps for the casual observer, Jeep is a Jeep and probably don't make any difference.

The point here is Suzuki`s marketing does not make Jimny any more original than Thar - which by the way remains a Jeep to this day and has not become a closed wagon.

On a lighter vein, if we stretch this logic; all Four Wheelers today will have their origin traced back to Karl Benz.

The fact is Jimny, Gypsy, Pajero, Land Cruiser, Land Rover, Patrol etc are 'evolved designs', synonymous with a Brand and they all have an associated legacy; whereas the new Thar is a blatant Chinese copy of Jeep Wrangler, which makes a mockery of Design IPRs.

I am glad that India is not Australia, where sale of Thar was held in abeyance by the Court till Design legalities are resolved.

So, if we are not planning to go back in time till Karl Benz; Jimny is indeed more original than the Thar.

But this Original vs Copy debate shouldn't deter us from buying the Thar, which is a great product and Value For Money lookalike of the Wrangler.
INDIAN_VAGABOND is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 01:15   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Here is a (very, very) short drive review of the Jimny 4/5 door.
Looks quite light and agile to drive. Potentially a hit in the Himalyan foothills.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 22nd March 2023, 08:01   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Guilty as charged Dear Sir.

I am hoping that some of our folks would remove the Jimny badge and attach an MGP Gypsy monogram instead.

Any idea why they dropped that name? That was Iconic indeed.
For one, the Jimny has better overall brand recall internationally, where the 5 door is eagerly awaited and a hit in the making. But more than that, MSIL would have been wise to step away from equating the Jimny to the more basic and rough-n-ready Gypsy. We need to remember that the Gypsy, as popular as it became, was never a hit as a family/volume seller. It took MSIL a lot of soul-searching and market dip-stick to have the guts to build a 5 door Jimny, to be introduced to the Indian buyer. And in this decision, the popularity of the Thar had a HUGE role to play. MSIL possibly got FOMO (fear of missing out) and took a calculated risk. They are now hoping that despite its off-road biased DNA, giving it additional doors and length (and hopefully a mouth-watering price), the Jimny would be enough to coax it into the wishlist of many versus a few fashion oriented only. Let’s face it, a Gypsy has connotations of not being family-friendly. So a polite distancing can’t do it any harm. It doesn’t hurt either that all reviews for the searching public will be available globally as the ‘Jimny’. That’s free pre-publicity. And for those feeling nostalgic, rebadging the Jimny to an old familiar name, is just a small expense away at your local accessory market. Wise call.
SUVolens is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 09:27   #920
BHPian

Just curious. Saw the AllGrip badging on the Jimny. Is there a difference between AllGrip and AllGrip Pro?
Old 22nd March 2023, 09:31   #921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Just curious. Saw the AllGrip badging on the Jimny. Is there a difference between AllGrip and AllGrip Pro?
AllGrip Pro means the car has a proper low ratio. 4L. Jimny has AllGrip Pro badging.

AllGrip badge is there on the Grand Vitara, where there is no 4L.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 09:43   #922
BHPian

This variant of jimny is zeta in bluish black.
Old 22nd March 2023, 09:49   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
AllGrip Pro means the car has a proper low ratio. 4L. Jimny has AllGrip Pro badging.
Jimny photos posted by BHPian Himalayan_ice had AllGrip only. May be they just used the Vitara badge on pre production version.
Old 22nd March 2023, 09:54   #924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am hoping that some of our folks would remove the Jimny badge and attach an MGP Gypsy monogram instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
And for those feeling nostalgic, rebadging the Jimny to an old familiar name, is just a small expense away at your local accessory market. Wise call.
The first mod that came to my mind was to change the grille with one having the Maruti logo and if possible have the MARUTI monogram stuck on the bonnet.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:32   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post

Suzuki has 3 versions of the AllGrip in its arsenal. Jimny is fitted with the most offroad suitable version with proper low range called AllGrip Pro.

The AllGrip Auto
Uses full time viscous coupling sends torque to rear wheels and brake assists to get traction
eg. International auto models of Ignis, Swift

The AllGrip Select.
This one comes with selectable driving modes like Auto, Sport, Snow, Lock.
eg. Vitara, SCross

The AllGrip Pro.
Offroad king. Part time four wheel drive with low range transfer case. (Not to be underestimated by those who haven't seen it in action. Can elegantly get the mini Jeep out of gnarliest obstacles.)
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:21   #926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAN_VAGABOND View Post
On a lighter vein, if we stretch this logic; all Four Wheelers today will have their origin traced back to Karl Benz.
Or a horse.

That is once again Mercedes Benz version of the story , Karl Benz did not invent four wheeler.

History has been much distorted over the years, you'd be surprised to know how much more distorted it has become since US based YouTube and other social media has taken over the airwaves.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 12:04   #927

Does anyone know how far the front seats can be moved forward and folded? The Jimny brochure shows the front seat folding back to form a bed. But I'am interested in the opposite.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230322-11.52.55-am.png

I want to have a stealth car camping setup with the Jimny. My plan is to remove the rear seats and make a flat bed with storage underneath. Obviously the flat bed area wont be long enough for a 6ft person to sleep. So I'am interested in knowing how far the front seat can be pushed forward and folded.

I have a similar car camping setup in my EcoSport. The front seat doesn't move forward a lot, but it is sufficient enough for me to sleep inside the car comfortably. I'am hoping for a same setup with the Jimny as well.
inmotioninc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 12:31   #928

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Jimny 5 Door (possibly blueish black) spotted near Shimla. In my opinion, the color looks fantastic.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=2ANL-EQf-ZQ
As per me, the below link will show you how a Blueish Black Jimny looks like. (It's the Jimny which is on sale in the UK market. In UK, Blueish Black is the only available shade which looks similar to Black. So this should be it.)

Also, the vehicle that we see in the below video is of Nexa Blue color.

Eager to know everyone's opinion. I'm so curious about Blueish Black as this is the color which I booked for myself.
Old 22nd March 2023, 13:04   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshrcp View Post
As per me, the below link will show you how a Blueish Black Jimny looks like. (It's the Jimny which is on sale in the UK market. In UK, Blueish Black is the only available shade which looks similar to Black. So this should be it.)...

Eager to know everyone's opinion. I'm so curious about Blueish Black as this is the color which I booked for myself.
I also think that the Shimla one was Nexa Blue and the Blueish Black is more like all black. Irony is that the brochures shows Nexa Blue as a much lighter blue and Blueish Black much closer to the new Nexa Blue.
Nonetheless, I think Nexa blue will look the best and then 2nd position will go to the Blueish Black.
Old 22nd March 2023, 13:39   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotioninc View Post
Does anyone know how far the front seats can be moved forward and folded? The Jimny brochure shows the front seat folding back to form a bed. But I'am interested in the opposite.
None of the seats fold flat due to the contour/ bolstering.

However, you can pull the front row seats to extreme forward position (note there is a play and it doesn't get locked there); recline the backrest to 180 degree (remove the headrests) and your bed is ready. This bed is enough for a person of 6 feet height, 90 kg weight, athletic body frame. Your feet will be in air for 3-4 inches, keep the feet below the dashboard. There will be some undulations, manageable with some padding and/ or air mattress. Air mattress should be thin otherwise it blocks your feet to slide below the dashboard. I did it yesterday and was absolutely okay for me. For 6'2" tall guys, just recline the 2nd row seats to the next position. Head, shoulder and upper cervical part will be resting on the 2nd row base.

This is possible for two occupants only. You get entire boot space intact for storage.

[I have taken the photographs. Can't publish the awkward images in open public forum.]

Last edited by RijuC : 22nd March 2023 at 13:55.
RijuC is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks