Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2023, 21:16   #961
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Dear matchvan, I am not offended but disappointed that I am not able to get my opinion understood by anyone !
I mentioned BOLERO as an example of an SUV that can just seat three across yet be small enough for most narrow roads/lanes.

You see, I have been waiting too, ever since I bought my first Gypsy in the nineteen nineties, for an updated model, that is why I am disappointed.
I cannot agree with your and cool_dube's logic that some toy is better than no toy at all, as the upgrade was too long in coming, and we have passed the third gen Jimny without getting it. So the final product should be the best Maruti-Suzuki can design, which this 4/5 door Jimny is not.
To protect the antenna on rear right corner, for example, I think I will have to fix a high-lift jack next to it !

And I cannot buy and discard a motor vehicle as easily as a toy. I use only 4WDs, Willys/Mahindra, Nissan Jonga, and Gypsies (though I own an ALTO, too). So it is important for my vehicle to fit five comfortably, among other features.

jackofsome, you are right in your opinion of Howrah roads -- there are hardly any roads but only lanes. But SUMOs ply here daily as school pool cars. And I used to drive a Nissan Jonga (Patrol SWB) on a regular (not daily) basis, as mostly my drive is only one km into the narrow & twisty lanes, away from the second Hooghly Bridge ramp-end. Again, I was hoping for a nimble Jimny, if it is small, but the turning circle seems to be huge, just like the Gypsy.

I DID NOT want an international sized SUV -- all I wanted is a little more width to fit three passengers comfortably, and a little more head & leg room. After waiting for so long, I just cannot accept something with less space inside than the 410 or the 413. We are not in Japan, for Buddha's sake.
I am nearly 68 and this is probably the last 4WD I will own and drive.
Once I go to chauffeur mode, it will be sedans and ambulances, mostly !

Before that, I wanted to go to Ladakh and Arunachal. But my present MG413W is too underpowered to tackle the heights of UMLING-LA with four passengers and full gear.
But this new toy, I am afraid, will get blown away in the high altitude winds, or get covered in landslide rubble or snow so badly that I might have to walk home ! And it will be a l-o-n-g walk !

So forgive me for playing the devil's advocate here. AMEN.

Last edited by SnakemanJohny : 24th March 2023 at 21:24.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 00:49   #962
BHPian

@snakemanjohny

I think I can understand what you want, you will like to have a 90's Suzuki Vitara/escudo/sidekick 5 door, that is 5 seater, and could fit in your requirements With the 2.0 HDI or V6 engines

About the Jimny, think for a moment, the Indian 5 door, is the long version, of an already widebody and more powerful model of car, which originally is made to fit in the strict Japanese laws of kei car

To make It longer, "isn't that much", just take It from behind the Transfer case, stretched it, and add 2 more doors and a longer rear cardan shaft, not much more.

Just like back when Samurai/ Gypsy got both versions internationally

Truth is, I don't understand why they made the 5-door, shorter than the Gypsy/ Samurai long body, but I suppose they separate the axles more on the new car than Gypsy/ Samurai because of the doors and leg room.

But to make the body wider, It Will be much more difficult, and costly, you got to make the body, the chassis, the axles, the roof, the bonnet, and the tailgate.

Same thing with the turning radius, they sure just stretched the car, but maintain the 3 doors steering system, and sure with the Mahindra Thar will be the same.

Do you think Maruti will take the risks? Reading what I read here, I really doubt it, and It also won't be the Jimny, will be another car.

About the engine in your Gypsy, and comparing it to the Jimny, if I'm not wrong, the Gypsy got around 60hp, this one got 102 hp, it's not much, I agree but also think It is like having in 1 car, almost 2 engines from Gypsy, plus, the top speed (3 door Jimny), confirmed by various YouTubers in high-speed highways, is 160 km seen at the cluster, do you really need to go that fast in a car who has the aerodynamics of an office building?

And about the seating position, I've gone to a shop where a 3-door Jimny and a 5 door wrangler were sides to side, and I can tell you, without a doubt, you got more space in the Japanese than the American, legroom, headroom, and to move on the seat (except the obvious driver- codriver separation)

I ain't gonna tell you to buy It, but, just give him a chance.

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th March 2023 at 06:56. Reason: Spell, Grammar. Please proofread before posting.
wacso is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 25th March 2023, 05:57   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post

Before that, I wanted to go to Ladakh and Arunachal. But my present MG413W is too underpowered to tackle the heights of UMLING-LA with four passengers and full gear.
But this new toy, I am afraid, will get blown away in the high altitude winds, or get covered in landslide rubble or snow so badly that I might have to walk home ! And it will be a l-o-n-g walk !

Dear Snakemanjohny

Having sat and pondered my options inside the Jimny yesterday, I agree with you somewhat - I wish the Jimny was just a few cms wider, even 20 cms would’ve brought it out of the squeeze and into the realms of comfy. But I guess that’s not to be. The original Jimny is made for Japanese Kei car regulations and that’s inviolable. They then added body cladding for international markets to give it more visual heft and buyers aren’t complaining there either, going by the fact it’s sold out and have waiting periods over a year in a suv crazed market like Australia. Nowhere other than in India would it be sold as a prospective only-car or family car in a family of more than two. So, it’s just not worth going back to the drawing board for a lone market that wants just a few cms more. At least that’s how I feel the reasoning goes. My guess is it’ll still sell in good numbers if they manage to price it attractively. However, the used car market will also see a glut of Jimny’s in the near future as the popularity of this segment tries to breed more spacious competition.
As for your Ladakh wish list - I think you’re being too harsh on this poor little car. It’d be a squeeze for four and their luggage, sure. And probably a good deal bouncier than other options. But it’s capabilities will just flick off the gradients, water crossings, rock crawls (if you insist) and cross winds like a pesky fly. Ladakh isn’t really all that tough as it’s made out to be. Not any more. I’ve done it more than 10 times in all cars beginning with a Ford Ikon and ending with the mighty Endeavour. Don’t let that be a reason not to consider a Jimny. But if you are serious about comfort in a capable car that has the agility for the cramped lanes of Howrah, you might want to take a look at the Grand Vitara/Hyryder AWD. Ticks all boxes.
SUVolens is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 09:09   #964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
The original Jimny is made for Japanese Kei car regulations and that’s inviolable. They then added body cladding for international markets to give it more visual heft and buyers aren’t complaining there either, going by the fact it’s sold out and have waiting periods over a year in a suv crazed market like Australia.
Australia will have to wait for even a tooth brush , why would Suzuki bother to modify this vehicle by adding 2 more doors and make it India friendly if Australia is waiting for a year to get this? It's a different matter altogether if there is a crying demand in Australia for a 4 door Jimny.

So what is the reality?

They sold 5600 Jimny last year in Australia - that's probably 1 month's production for Indian market!
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 09:49   #965
BHPian

The reality? Just that if Suzuki were to retool extensively for a brand new Jimny for a single market, non withstanding the capacity to consume, the cost would be huge and doom the product. The local market is already jittery at the prospects of the Jimny crossing the 15 lac barrier; as a ground-up reskinning, that end product would be closer to 20 if not more. And then you risk losing all the fan base gathered internationally simply on the David to Goliaths (of the 4x4 world) reputation this dinky thing has garnered. Nope, too much of a gamble for conservative old Maruti. Now if there were a gentlemen called Musk at the helm, maybe.. ��
SUVolens is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 14:35   #966
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post

If it does get blown away (both are fly weights) or get buried under the rocks I am pretty sure the metal hard top Jimny would be better place to be in rather than a cloth/frp top Jipsy

Speaking of stock vs stock.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 14:45   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Australia will have to wait for even a tooth brush , why would Suzuki bother to modify this vehicle by adding 2 more doors and make it India friendly if Australia is waiting for a year to get this? It's a different matter altogether if there is a crying demand in Australia for a 4 door Jimny.

So what is the reality?

They sold 5600 Jimny last year in Australia - that's probably 1 month's production for Indian market!
As far as we know, it is not Suzuki who modified It, it's maruti, for India mainly

Also, you got to see why the sales numbers are low, it's because there are low amounts of orders, or is It because Suzuki's factory in Japan cannot make enough cars for all the orders worldwide?
Old 25th March 2023, 22:03   #968
BHPian

Saw the Jimny today. Driver footwell didn’t seem that bad with the seat slid back for Auto (5’10”). Manual driving comfort needs to be checked.

Vehicle shakes visibly more at every ingress/ egress. Then 3 Nexa chaps sat in the rear. 😀

Apart from the price, I would eagerly wait for TBHP drive review, particularly the highway part.
IB290 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 02:13   #969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
Saw the Jimny today.
Hi, IB290, Did you see the Jimny in Pune? If yes, can you please tell which Nexa showroom. Just guessing based on your profile location.
Old 26th March 2023, 07:49   #970
BHPian

Greetings Team,

Can Hyderabad members share if and when the Jimny Display vehicle will be available in Hyderabad / Telangana . Eagerly waiting to check it out.

I Have written a mail to nexa experience regarding this 3 days ago but no response received.

Drive safe.
Old 26th March 2023, 08:40   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
Hi, IB290, Did you see the Jimny in Pune?
I went to the Vashi Nexa.
IB290 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 11:58   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Greetings Team,

Can Hyderabad members share if and when the Jimny Display vehicle will be available in Hyderabad / Telangana . Eagerly waiting to check it out.

I Have written a mail to nexa experience regarding this 3 days ago but no response received.

Drive safe.
As per the latest IG post here, Hyderabad is not even a consideration. Only one city in the south. I heard Fronx wasn’t displayed in Chennai. We at least got that for 3 days or something.

Their sad schedules and ”tour” like Jimny is some singer/rockband/DJ. It’s killing the hype for me.

the worst is any random YouTuber with high follower count, who don’t know anything about the vehicle, are commenting on YouTube with views. Out of the 100s of videos by “influencers”, most of them don’t even have automotive as their main videos.

The worst are those with clickbait thumbnails with the Nexa key cutout in front of the vehicle as if they’re taking the delivery - that’s so pathetic for views.

I think folks at Nexa are thinking they’re into fashion and music (as per their IG posts) and not in the business of selling cars. It’s pure frustrating.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqPSUooL...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited by AjayV : 26th March 2023 at 11:59.
AjayV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 12:04   #973
BHPian

That hurts.
Guess I have to find an excuse to tell the missus so that she let's me travel to Bengaluru to catch a glimpse of Jimny in flesh.

What times have come..Sigh.

Book the car online. Pay advance via G Pay. Receive the receipt on WhatsApp.
See the Car on YouTube.

What Next.
Drive it in Dreams..
matchvan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 12:37   #974
BHPian

Today was the unveiling of the Jimny in Bangalore at RR nagar Nexa. There was a huge crowd. Given the number of people at the showroom, I got a brief glimpse of the vehicle and sat in the front passenger seat. In terms of space, it was identical to the Tiago JTP that I currently drive. I might go back sometime soon to understand better
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230326120320.jpg  

Last edited by kesh4munni : 26th March 2023 at 12:38.
kesh4munni is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 14:20   #975

Visited the Nexa Showroom yesterday in Navi Mumbai. Few observations to share with you guys :

1. At the first glance, Jimny looked small from front (due to the width) and decent enough from side angle. But as you spend time with the goat, the size grows on you.

2. Tyre size could have been a bit bigger, but doesn't look as odd as lot of people (mostly youtubers) have spoked about.

3. My height is 5' 8" and nowhere inside the cabin, I found any thing ergonomically misplaced except for bottle holders. Maruti Suzuki should have given the space for keeping bottles at the doors.

4. Leg space was decent at the front as well as at the back and cushioning was adequate for my need. Boot space is also adequate for 2-3 bags. The front seat fully reclined back and adjusted, a few cushions at the back seat will give you a decent comfortable sleeping position for people with height <
approx. 5'8".

5. The front doors are heavier than the rear doors and give you an assuring thud sound. The material and paint quality is by far the best by Maruti Suzuki.

6. There was substantial shaking at every ingress/egress as pointed out by other members in this forum.

7. I asked the sales rep to let me start the engine so that noise levels can be assessed. After few reservations, he obliged my request and gave the key. At idling, the engine is very smooth and silent. I revved the engine up to 3k rpm 2-3 times (couldn't revved it more due to lot of undue gaze from the audience and sales reps) and didn't find the engine noise jarring or any vibrations inside the cabin. The sound of the engine was somewhat soothing to the ears. The whole NVH levels have to be ascertained at the time of test drive only.

8. One of the main guy from the showroom who drove the vehicle during the previous night in Vashi, told me that the vehicle is very eager to drive and the power is instant unlike Vitara or Baleno. Most probably, he was talking about the low end torquier nature of the engine and AT. I enquired about the turning radius and he confessed that during U turns, he had to take a larger cut.

9. Certain issues were also observed. The exposed wires at the tail gate for defogger had come out and reason may be lot of people sitting inside the boot. Nevertheless, the exposed wires will surely come out at some point of time while handling big luggage and articles in or out. Maruti Suzuki should conceal the wiring in the production version as they have concealed the door hinges. The body cladding also had taken some hits during the handling of the car.

10.There are 2 towing hooks at the back and 1 at the front and all were painted black and so does the rear seat recliner bracket. I have seen the body colored hooks and brackets elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-whatsapp-image-20230326-1.44.23-pm.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-whatsapp-image-20230326-1.44.24-pm.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-whatsapp-image-20230326-1.44.25-pm-1.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-whatsapp-image-20230326-1.44.25-pm.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-whatsapp-image-20230326-1.44.26-pm.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-whatsapp-image-20230326-1.44.26-pm-1.jpeg  

balmagbrezjim is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed