Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2023, 11:46   #1036
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
I tried to map the side view as per the dimensions available. Jimny will not look this unsubstantial in comparison with the Thar on the side view at least.

Attachment 2435374

Love the excitement around this smart looking hardcore off-roader

I hope MSIL prices the Jimny competitively!

With 1 lac Thars already on road, the adventure junkie pie is quite large.

A masterstroke will be, to launch the 4x2 version soon..
right 4*2 should be out ASAP. 90 % of customers wont need 4x4 ever
Old 31st March 2023, 13:56   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmountain View Post
It is available and called as Brezza. Jokes apart, I for one think, Jimny should never come in 4*2 variants. Plainly and purely, the purpose of brand name gets defeated.
amtak is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 14:37   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
It is available and called as Brezza. Jokes apart, I for one think, Jimny should never come in 4*2 variants. Plainly and purely, the purpose of brand name gets defeated.
Yes, 4*2 Jimny has no meaning. Users won't buy the Jimny for the look or show-off or heavy duty services. We have good 4*2 RWD SUVs in sub-15 lakhs price range already in market and Jimny won't be able to beat their appeal. Base variants of Scorpio N, Scorpio Classic, Bolero Neo, Bolero, Thar RWD are better suited for heavy duty usage (primary usage), road presence/ show-off. Except the Thar, rest of them can accomodate 5 persons or more.

Jimny 4*2 won't have any advantage over all these except a reliable petrol engine with respectable FE and excellent service network.

If there is one All Wheel Drive (AWD) pseudo SUV/ monocoque SUV available in Indian market in budget category (below 15 lakhs ex-showroom) and with AT; Jimny bookings will become half or even less than that. Grand Vitara AWD MT Ex-showroom price is 16.89 Lakhs which is not affordable for budget buyers. And it doesn't have an AT option. Hence buyers with knee problem or seeking convenience of AT (and have budget) can't buy it.

A large set of prospective buyers of Jimny just need an AWD, and they are forced to book/ buy the true blue rugged 4x4 4 seater SUV which is an overkill for them, since there is a void in the Indian market for affordable AWD/ AWD+AT vehicle.

Last edited by RijuC : 31st March 2023 at 15:04.
RijuC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 16:41   #1039
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Here is the old SWB Suzuki Sierra 1.3 Naturally Aspirated. The cousin of our very own Gypsy.

This example was spotted on the road out here in NSW, AU today. Well kept. Clearly well used. About 20 odd years old I think.

And here are a couple more Jimnys spotted randomly around NSW, AU. They really seem to be popular with multiple types of consumers. And yes, the 3 door little ones look very nice indeed.

I ve only seen white, beige, dark grey and dark green here so far.

Not a single one have I seen yet in Blue, Red or Lime Green.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9083.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9082.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9081.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9080.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9079.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9078.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9077.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9076.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9073.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9233.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9232.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9234.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 17:02   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Here is the old SWB Suzuki Sierra 1.3 Naturally Aspirated. The cousin of our very own Gypsy.

This example was spotted on the road out here in NSW, AU today. Well kept. Clearly well used. About 20 odd years old I think.

And here are a couple more Jimnys spotted randomly around NSW, AU. They really seem to be popular with multiple types of consumers. And yes, the 3 door little ones look very nice indeed.

I ve only seen white, beige, dark grey and dark green here so far.

Not a single one have I seen yet in Blue, Red or Lime Green.
None of these good colors available in intl Jimny made it to India. Where are the greens, ivory, jet black

And if green is allowed in scorpio-n why not in jimny.

Last edited by bblost : 31st March 2023 at 17:36. Reason: Please use capitals when starting a sentence.
Old 31st March 2023, 18:53   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
If there is one All Wheel Drive (AWD) pseudo SUV/ monocoque SUV available in Indian market in budget category (below 15 lakhs ex-showroom) and with AT; Jimny bookings will become half or even less than that. Grand Vitara AWD MT Ex-showroom price is 16.89 Lakhs which is not affordable for budget buyers. And it doesn't have an AT option. Hence buyers with knee problem or seeking convenience of AT (and have budget) can't buy it.

A large set of prospective buyers of Jimny just need an AWD, and they are forced to book/ buy the true blue rugged 4x4 4 seater SUV which is an overkill for them, since there is a void in the Indian market for affordable AWD/ AWD+AT vehicle.

Actually, the Ignis is available in AWD format abroad and may very well fill that gap should the market call for it, like the SCross before it. But the 7-15 lac segment is so compacted in India, MSIL would have nights awake trying to shoehorn it. And if ever brought in, it would have to push up Jimny prices to international levels to make space - again a conundrum with the homegrown toughies in the play.
SUVolens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 20:01   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmountain View Post
Your prophecy might become a reality and my gut feeling says jimny may be launched in 2WD in Delta and Sigma variants soon after the Thar is launched in 4 door avatar.

And I hope the Pricing for 4WD Jimny is announced before that

Drive Safe.
matchvan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 22:10   #1043
Senior - BHPian

One can tolerate the discomfort caused by rigid front axle in order to enjoy the 4X4 functionality; why would one tolerate that discomfort when the 4x4 functionality is missing? Comparisons with Thar 4X2 are uncalled for because Thar has independent front suspension, although the ride quality still isn't great!

It's well known that you are more likely to get stuck in mud/snow/sand in a 4X2 RWD than in a 4X2 front wheel drive. Unless it comes with a differential locker, a Jimny 4X2 would mean having the worst of both worlds - the discomfort that comes with rigid front axle and greater chances of getting stuck in mud/snow/sand than in an Alto!
directinjection is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 22:40   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
How are the gear shifts in manual? Even better if you have driven and share feedback on gear shift compared to K15B Brezza manual?

Pardon my limited knowledge but a rookie question to all people who have owned a Gypsy. What differences one can expect with 215 75R15 vs 235 75R15?
Sorry I didn't get a chance to drive it yet. The video from from net I found about manual 5door version. But as per some online reviews for 3door version overseas it performs adequately and gear shifts were like any other 80's / 90's manual cars.
Old 31st March 2023, 23:44   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
How are the gear shifts in manual? Even better if you have driven and share feedback on gear shift compared to K15B Brezza manual?
The Brezza, being a front wheel drive, MIGHT possibly have a couple of linkages between the gear lever and the transversly mounted gearbox. While the Jimny, with its longitudinally mounted gearbox, SHOULD have the gear lever coming directly from within the gearbox. (Just my assumptions, I haven't driven the Jimny, and no offence to Brezza owners, my cus had one and it was nice to drive)

So, it should be a bit more satisfying to change gears in the Jimny, when compared to a front wheel drive vehicle. And with time, you can hopefully feel the gears fall into place.

Quote:
question to all people who have owned a Gypsy. What differences one can expect with 215 75R15 vs 235 75R15?
If a stock Gypsy is fitted with 235/75's, there will be a noticable drop in power in all gears. And believe me, you wont like it.

There is however an advantage to the extra 2 cm rubber in each corner...
...the braking becomes surprisingly better. I can vouch for the 1.0L widetrack but never used a 1.3L so don't know much about that.
aravind422 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 00:39   #1046
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind422 View Post
So, it should be a bit more satisfying to change gears in the Jimny, when compared to a front wheel drive vehicle. And with time, you can hopefully feel the gears fall into place.

If a stock Gypsy is fitted with 235/75's, there will be a noticable drop in power in all gears. And believe me, you wont like it.

There is however an advantage to the extra 2 cm rubber in each corner...
...the braking becomes surprisingly better. I can vouch for the 1.0L widetrack but never used a 1.3L so don't know much about that.
I currently own and use a stock Gypsy King 1.3 with Nylon tyres.
Driving up Sigur Ghats and other steep places in the Nilgiris, one has to be in the right gear and when taking hairpin bends one has to do it with the right momentum and right angle of approach, else one will find that while taking the steep curve one’s rear (RWD 2H powered)wheels will ‘chirrup’ because they will momentarily struggle for traction.

In ref to Braking, Ive owned multiple Gypsys in the last 26 odd years and driven them across varied terrain on and off the roads. Some with stock Nylon tyres and some with larger radials. Never more than 235/70/15. 215/75/15 to me offers the best of all for a Gypsy.

The stock Nylon tyred Gypsy can handle max speeds upto 80-90kmph relatively safely and it will still require lots of concentration and anticipatory driving and braking. I absolutely would not wish to drive this vehicle any faster. Sudden hard braking when at a higher speed in this vehicle, in dry or wet or off road or on road conditions will cause all 4 wheels to simply lock and the vehicle will not be able to stop within reasonable distance within a reasonable time on account of its momentum and inertia of motion.

With radials yes definitely the braking improves because the contact patch is more. But then so are the coefficients of friction and rolling resistance. Even with Radials, I would avoid sudden braking from higher speeds. And again, I m not in favour of driving at speeds higher than a max of 100kmph in a Gypsy even when shod with Radials.

And such speeds honestly, ought only to be done on a clear highway.

Thats absolutely all it can honestly handle and yet remain safe-ish.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st April 2023 at 00:43.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 03:13   #1047
BANNED

More photos of the Park Ranger’s SWB Jimny. And one more spotted on the road.
Really hard to take one’s eyes off it.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9351.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9350.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9349.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9348.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9347.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9352.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9346.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9344.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9343.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9342.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9340.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9339.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9338.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9337.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9336.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9332.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9331.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9327.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9326.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9325.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9324.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9323.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9322.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9321.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9320.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 03:39   #1048
//R

I happened to visit the NEXA showroom nearby following a call from their SA. I'd planned to buy an Ignis from this dealer recently but got a better deal and delivery commitment from another which was a let down for this chap. It seems he is now adamant on winning his customer back!

Last month I'd gotten a call to visit and have a look at the Fronx on the showroom floor and today it was the Jimny. More about the former in another thread, the latter is absolutely a looker. The neon colour ( I refuse to call it Kinetic Yellow) looks much better in flesh compared to the photos.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_2042.jpeg

The car seems to be built well, I suspect the paint quality on Jimny is a tad better than the Balenos, Brezzas, Vitaras and even the Fronx that I last experienced here. There seemed to be lesser orange peel effect, at least in this shade, and I could perceive some more depth to the paint. Again, all of this could be because of this hue and lighting and I'd love to hear if anyone else noticed this.

My two points of reference are an S-Cross and an Ignis. The cabin size does mimic the Ignis while the price probably would mimic the S-Cross

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_2041.jpeg

Setting up the driver's seat to my liking (I am 5'10 and wide), I felt noticeably cramped. I can imagine the driver and the passenger rubbing elbows constantly. An armrest will sorely by missed especially in the AT versions. The Fronx, in comparison, felt way too spacious to me and I daresay it didn't really feel like a downgrade, space-wise, from the S-Cross.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_2043.jpeg

The dash layout is functional and looks rugged which I liked, quality of plastics could really be better. The door pads were already scratching up with the car being on display and it seems the interior plastic is prone to deep scratches which is a huge bummer. I found the seat cushioning to be too soft and spongy and the fabric upholstery was just plain bad, hope the final batches won't have these.

Members talking about there being a 4x2 variant of the Jimny might be in for a disappointment. IIRC, I heard someone from the staff mentioning that the pricing is, reportedly, set to be in the 10.50 - 13.75L (OTR Delhi) range. This brings it at about 2L price premium over the Fronx which is rumoured to start at 8.50L (OTR Delhi) and pricing for the turbo Fronx would be about 50k less than the Jimny AWD which somewhat makes sense in terms of price buffer between the two products.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_1287.jpeg
The Fronx's wider, more comfortable, better laid out and better built, expansive cabin (in comparison to Jimny's)

People looking for a primary or a family car will find it difficult to live with the Jimny; the suspension is so soft and tall that the car wobbled even with people shifting their seating posture at standstill!

Why want a 4x2 Jimmy when you have the Grand Vitara and the Thar in 4x2 avatars? A 4x2 Jimny (if it were to exist) would not change the car's ergonomics, suspension or ride quality.

While it's supposedly built better than the Fronx, it does lose on the value for money and purpose value that one might be looking for. I'm eager to drive it to experience it further and it'd be interesting to see how it sells.
//R is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 09:30   #1049
BHPian

Two more shots for people looking for visual comparison of jimny with other cars. Jimny is looking good against both swift and dzire. There is slight lens distortion on the edges but still these pictures are giving a fairly good idea of its size and road presence.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot_202304010117213.png  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot_202304010937342.png  

Last edited by iamnvn : 1st April 2023 at 09:42.
iamnvn is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 19:42   #1050

We (family of 2 adults and a kid) checked out the Jimny at Nexa Sarjapur (Bangalore). The unanimous reaction was 'meh'. I don't see this sold in large numbers as predicted by many - in fact, the general lack of interest was apparent from the near empty showroom on a weekend. Personally, the hype isn't justified. It didn't feel aspirational, lacks 2nd row space, will have negligible road presence once the novelty wears off and no driver seat hight adjuster. The vehicle maybe a good alternative for a 2nd/3rd car.

P.S. No intention of hurting any Jimny fans or sentiments. Just stating my opinion so please take this with a pinch of salt.
trishulpani is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks