Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2009, 17:42   #106
BHPian

Suddenly stumbled upon this thread. This is my most favourite car made in India of all times. Classic British design.
Old 2nd November 2009, 00:10   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Hello ,

Here is something available in the local scrap market in August 2007.

As the car was for sale or breaking up , I have not removed the number plate.

The asking price Rs 40,000 , I was not interested , I can pick up cars like this , but somebody has to promise to take them of my hands.

if this local scrap market is in delhi.....can u tell me its exact location so i can look for similar cars there
Old 2nd November 2009, 10:38   #108
BANNED

Akshay very nice car to restore, see the meter console may be you can adapt and keep it for restoration job later on.I am loaded with other things otherwise sure could have picked up this beauty.
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:11   #109
BHPian

This was one car I dreamed about a lot. That shape has a magical attraction on me. But never knew that the car had a horrible engine and a gearbox. Thanks v12 for enlightening me on this. I see one in the flat next to us now.
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:57   #110
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Sitting in a Standard Rover 2000 was like flying Club Class. It was so cossetingly comfortable in comparison with what we were used to in those earlier times. Even in comparison with many cars today, that car definitely scores in the legroom and general comfort department.

The Standard Rover's cousin was the Rover 2000, the 3500 and the SD - one of which was even used for years as a Police Car - after the manner of most Rovers which have for a long time been the favoured brand of traditional Brit police car. It was extremely powerful.

My friend's dad had one in Madras in the 90's - the original Standard Motors engine was hopelessly underpowered and Fuel INefficient (being Petrol it used to give 6 kmpl in those days). Therefore he had retro-fitted a Nissan 1800cc or 2000cc diesel LCV engine in it. It used to give a lot of trouble with the Power Steering reservoir and various other things but all in all it was a wonderful car.

Later he had a Montego when he'd got tired of the Rover 2000. The Rover Montego was also a wonderful car - I loved that one too.

The best live examples of the Rover 2000's that I ve ever seen was in 1992 in the Irungattukottai Race Track in Madras when Karivardhan had brought down his TWO Black Rovers - completely souped up with all manner of things - much more powerful engines, brilliant tyres, air scoop on the bonnet and wire wheels even. I am not sure but he might have imported those two cars - whether he had modified the Indian Standard 2000 or not I am not sure.
Old 3rd November 2009, 05:06   #111

my father's friend a lawyer also had astandard 2000 in chennai.really it ran like a dream.but mostly it was always in the workshop.when i passed my matric i asked my fatheer for a car.ilearnt driving his padmini when i was in 8th.my father gave me the padmini and went to buy a 2000.but at last after a serious discussion with his friend he went and purchased a contessa classic.but still the 2000 has a special place in my heart because i took my girlfriend for our first date in the 2000 of my father's friend when he came to stay with us for a weekend
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:39   #112
BHPian

The standard 2000 has taken part in rally de endurance in bangalore if i am not wrong in 1988 one driven by subash chandra bose and the other by kamlesh patel both were D N Fs
Old 4th November 2009, 00:44   #113
Senior - BHPian

i used to see one a couple of years back, now its gone. had a huge problem while starting and stayed most of the time at a garage.
Old 4th November 2009, 10:23   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
we find there scooter and motorcycle threads in the categotry of Vintage Cars & Classics in India .I think we have a seperate section for motorcycles why not have them in that category?
I'd like to clarify that initially, our Lambretta scooter threads were in the Motorcycles section. I guess someone protested about having our scooter threads there, and one fine day, they were moved to the Vintage section. I think we need a section for vintage/classic two wheelers, and clear guidelines about what constitutes a classic two-wheeler and a vintage two-wheeler need to be arrived at. Personally, I consider old-style geared scooters from the 80's as classic as well. Going by my logic, there does seem to be an overlap between the definitions "classic" and "out of production". This is the overlap that is causing these arguments. The truth is, out of production vehicles also have their fan following...SS80, Standard 2000, Lamby 150, Vijai Super, etc. While not strictly classics, they are out of production vehicles that people still love to own and use. I do not wish to cause a flutter here. Am just giving my views, hope the mods will do the right thing and solve this long-running issue soon!
Old 4th November 2009, 15:01   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
If my memory serves right, the price of the car hovered around 2 plus lakhs those days.

After the factory was closed down, the car was back in action in one of the Kamal's Tamil movies in 1989, where an entire song was shot in the Standard Motors premises.
Yup.. you can see Standard 2000 in various stages of making in that song.. as a kid after seeing that song I wanted to see that factory inside which was making my dream car (at that time I was too young to understand that it was discontinued) - sadly though now I now travel daily across the same standard factory that has been razed down to give way to a IT park.. sigh.. sorry for going OT.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:42   #116
Senior - BHPian

Sorry people I'm trying to get a Steering wheel for my Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 for exchange of a Standard 2000 car's steering.

Currently my TLC FJ40 got Standard 2000's steering in good condition, please see the pic here. I'm only posting this message here if any of the Standard 2000 car enthusiastic finds it needful to them.

The story of the Standard 2000. 1985-1988-image058.jpg
Old 18th December 2009, 00:04   #117

Finally my dream come true Standard 2000

I'm bringing home my latest find; a Standard 2000 dieselised, but with about 90% originality otherwise. Even the original seat covers. Will post pics soon.
Old 18th December 2009, 11:14   #118
Senior - BHPian

Cool, since the diesel papers are legit you can put some of the high power japanese, EU, or even our very own Indian options which you can get brand new. I suppose she has the Nissan Allwyn Cab pickup diesel motor?
Old 18th December 2009, 19:37   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Cool, since the diesel papers are legit you can put some of the high power japanese, EU, or even our very own Indian options which you can get brand new. I suppose she has the Nissan Allwyn Cab pickup diesel motor?
She has a favorite engine of mine(but on jeeps), the Peugeot XDP4.9 currrently. The plan is to go for an Innova engine + GB. Waiting eagerly for the owner to return from his tour to get her in my hands.
Old 18th December 2009, 20:03   #120
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltime4wd View Post
She has a favorite engine of mine(but on jeeps), the Peugeot XDP4.9 currrently. The plan is to go for an Innova engine + GB. Waiting eagerly for the owner to return from his tour to get her in my hands.
The Standard 2000 with a Mahindra 2.1 engine! I've used the XDP 4.9 for 1.4 lakh kms and can confidently say that, there isn't a worse engine for the S2000.

Love to see pics. And what I wouldn't give to drive it before you swap the engine.

Most Viewed