Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2023, 01:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Understanding BMW's bizarre choice of engines & variants for India

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Your wish was granted just recently, the X7 LCI is now available in the higher tune 40d which replaces the 30d available in the pre-LCI X7.
Yea! I am glad x740d landed our shores.
(Wishful thinking ensues).. I think that engine guise in a smaller packing (x540d) would be just perfect! Or 540d sedan would just be a hoot. (Wishful thinking ends)
Old 25th January 2023, 13:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The answer to this question, as well as the whole trend towards smaller and more fuel efficient engines and the seemingly selection of models in the line up (e.g. why the new X1 only in 118d/118i guise? Why mainstream 3 series only in LWB? etc.) has to do with how the upcoming CAFE2 norms and targets per manufacturer are going to be calculated.
Elaborate explanation ��

The question then which comes to my mind is, even if the weight vs FC relationship is generally accepted, what about the ARAI efficiency that's so much different in the real world FC figures (considering normal driving by owners) really reduce the emissions in the real world?

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th January 2023 at 13:50. Reason: Quoted post trimmed. Please quote only relevant portion and proofread.
Old 29th January 2023, 13:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuChDa View Post
Elaborate explanation ��

The question then which comes to my mind is, even if the weight vs FC relationship is generally accepted, what about the ARAI efficiency that's so much different in the real world FC figures (considering normal driving by owners) really reduce the emissions in the real world?
Good question. I would look at FE ratings as customer facing, i.e., to give retail customers an idea of what they can expect on the costs of fuel for their normal running. I agree ARAI ratings are highly inflated and overestimate the FE of the car, as they are based on ideal driving and route conditions.

The CO2 ratings and standards such as FAME 2, on the other hand, are more manufacturer facing, i.e., to regulate the amount of emissions of greenhouse gases at the manufacturer end across their fleet.

End of the day, these work in tandem, since lighter cars and more efficient technologies engines help both FE and CO2.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 13:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Not only have BMW downsized engines, they are moving away from their long held philosophy of providing 100% run-flats on all their cars, to slowly providing regular tubeless tires on some of their newer launches. The new X1 comes with tubeless tires across all variants. BHP-ian EV_NXT reports on another thread that even the 330Li and 320Ld will come with tubeless tires henceforth (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5509554 (My BMW M340i LCI | A case study in YOLO | Ownership Review))

Being heavier and thicker, the Run Flat tires can reduce fuel economy by about 2%. This is generally made up to some extent by the reduction in overall weight from not having to carry a spare tire. But in India, we want the cake and eat it too. Given our road conditions, we like to carry at least a donut sized spare, even if the car is using run flats.

Given how tight the CAFE targets are for BMW even a 2% FE improvement is being seen as something worth going for by BMW, even of it means eating humble pie on their much-vaunted run-flat philosophy.
Old 10th March 2023, 16:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Not only have BMW downsized engines, they are moving away from their long held philosophy of providing 100% run-flats on all their cars, to slowly providing regular tubeless tires on some of their newer launches. The new X1 comes with tubeless tires across all variants. BHP-ian EV_NXT reports on another thread that even the 330Li and 320Ld will come with tubeless tires henceforth
I think this is actually a good move in the right direction, cost/emission kept aside, except that full spare wheels are not available in their cars and it may be asking for too much from the customer to live with tubeless + donut wheel.

For our conditions, many people find it very hard to cope with RFTs especially in daily drivers that need to negotiate patchy roads and potholes. I am a fan of PS4 ZP RFTs that my car has in a staggered setup and would only replace them with RFTs - but then that is me, who hardly takes the car out in the city and always tackles bad roads with utmost care. Some who have 19" wheels on the 340i have also moved onto RFTs as the low profile tyres seem to develop bubbles and bulges frequently.

It may also be important to remember that M cars do not come with RFTs as pure performance tyres are mostly in tubeless only. So on the flip side, I wonder if previous BMW users can now switch to tubeless without BMW threatening not to honour warranty on suspension and parts connected to the wheel.
Old 10th March 2023, 17:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Run flats are expensive, uncomfortable and not at all suited for Indian roads. Most people end up “upgrading” to normal tubeless tyres after buying a BMW anyway so this move is a step in the right direction.
Old 15th April 2023, 13:08   #22
BHPian

Is it now confirmed that there will be a penalty if carmakers don’t comply with the CAFE requirements?

I’m wondering if this’ll have an impact on car prices in the near term.
Old 22nd April 2023, 01:46   #23
BHPian

The penalty for exceeding targeted CO2 score seems to be

Rs. 25,000/vehicle for upto 4.7 grams/km
Rs. 50,000/vehicle for above 4.7 grams/km

Ultimately this will end up increasing prices of vehicles from manufacturers failing to meet the CAFE target.
Old 14th November 2023, 00:02   #24
BHPian

5 points about this topic
- CAFE was first implemented in US in 1975 after the Arab Oil Embargo in 73 to improve the fuel economy of light cars and trucks
- In India BEE controls the CAFE and their website is https://beeindia.gov.in/en/programme...uel-efficiency
- Indian CAFE was launched in 2015 with first phase commenced in 2017-18 and second phase commenses in 2022-2023
- CAFE 2 benchmarks average kerb weight of cars as 1082 kgs and average fuel consumption is 4.89 l/100 Kms.
- Manufacturers will be audited for their one year sales data against this bench mark.

Attaching 2017-2018 report.

The news about fines for CO2 emissions as part of CAFE2 have very limited details. Not sure if the manufacturers met their fuel economy norms but missed the CO2 norms. If any one has the report for 2021-2022 kindly attach. Will be useful to get a full picture.

Regards
Dev
Attached Thumbnails
Understanding BMW's bizarre choice of engines & variants for India-screenshot-20231113-11.50.598239pm.png  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks