Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2023, 08:07   #16
BHPian

Re: EVs: Redefining "fun to drive" altogether?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
Come to think of it, I have started looking forward to the airport runs to Bangalore Airport. Icing on the cake is the 20% parking discount at the airport and free 100% renewable charging at my workplace
Oh, I was not aware of this discount. How do you avail this?
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 15:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Sorry for going OT - but what happens to the duty/tax shortfall for Centre and state when EV becomes commonplace. Will the government front-load onto the car price making vehicles more expensive ? Or will a delta tax be applied to electricity usage , in effect reducing the gap in cost/km between EV's and IC's ?
Delhi govt is already feeling the heat. Since majority vehicle sales are ICE, they are planning a small increase in road tax for them to make up for EV tax shortfall. Other states will mostly follow through.

Electricity is used by everyone in the society, govts would rather bankrupt the state than increase electricity prices due to the risk to them falling out of power.

Mostly the central govt will be the biggest beneficiary due to lower $ outgo due to lesser fossil fuel imports. They may pass on some benefits to the states from that kitty.
shyampsunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 19:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

One aspect of electric vehicles (EVs) that is often overlooked is that, unlike internal combustion engine (ICE) cars, manufacturers do not need to detune or produce a detuned model to meet emission standards or to control non-linear power delivery. An example of this is the "DDiS" in the 2000' Marutis, which originally had a strong turbo kick, but was later tamed down and power delivery made more linear for better fuel efficiency and improved low-end driveability, at the cost of the "fun to drive" factor. With EVs, however, the only direction for performance is upward with each iteration.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 07:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
What is your take on EVs - purely from performance perspective ? Do you still miss the high and smooth revving petrols or torquey turbocharged diesels after having experienced driving modern day EVs ?
I'm probably going to be the only naysayer here. I've driven and ridden in both utilitarian EVs (Nissan Leafs) and performance oriented EVs (Teslas). I can honestly say they did nothing for me, and it pretty much felt (personally for me) like I was sitting in an appliance, not a car. Is it very advantageous in my town to drive an EV as far as economics goes? Yes, since charging is basically free out here. Would I? No. Nothing against folks who like them (I have friends who own them obviously), just that the performance aspect isn't enough for me to give up a gasoline engine.
AKTransAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 12:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTransAM View Post
I'm probably going to be the only naysayer here. I've driven and ridden in both utilitarian EVs (Nissan Leafs) and performance oriented EVs (Teslas). I can honestly say they did nothing for me, and it pretty much felt (personally for me) like I was sitting in an appliance, not a car. Is it very advantageous in my town to drive an EV as far as economics goes? Yes, since charging is basically free out here. Would I? No. Nothing against folks who like them (I have friends who own them obviously), just that the performance aspect isn't enough for me to give up a gasoline engine.
Driving a gasoline-powered car and an electric vehicle (EV) are two very different experiences. For those who have been driving internal combustion engine (ICE) cars for most of their lives, it can be difficult to appreciate the performance of EVs. This is because we have become accustomed to the way ICE cars deliver power - with a roar of the engine and a sudden burst of acceleration.

EVs, on the other hand, deliver power silently and smoothly. The instant torque provided by the electric motor means that acceleration is quick and responsive, but it may not be as dramatic as the "throttle kick" we are used to in ICE cars. This lack of familiarity can make it hard for some drivers to fully appreciate the performance of EVs.

However, with more use, EVs would be more fun to drive if not better. As people become more familiar with the unique driving experience of EVs, they will come to appreciate the smooth and quiet power delivery, as well as the instant torque and responsive acceleration.

This behavior is often referred to as "status quo bias" which is a cognitive bias that describes the tendency for people to prefer to maintain their current state of affairs and resist change.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 12:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Driving a gasoline-powered car and an electric vehicle (EV) are two very different experiences. For those who have been driving internal combustion engine (ICE) cars for most of their lives, it can be difficult to appreciate the performance of EVs. This is because we have become accustomed to the way ICE cars deliver power - with a roar of the engine and a sudden burst of acceleration.

EVs, on the other hand, deliver power silently and smoothly. The instant torque provided by the electric motor means that acceleration is quick and responsive, but it may not be as dramatic as the "throttle kick" we are used to in ICE cars. This lack of familiarity can make it hard for some drivers to fully appreciate the performance of EVs.

However, with more use, EVs would be more fun to drive if not better. As people become more familiar with the unique driving experience of EVs, they will come to appreciate the smooth and quiet power delivery, as well as the instant torque and responsive acceleration.

This behavior is often referred to as "status quo bias" which is a cognitive bias that describes the tendency for people to prefer to maintain their current state of affairs and resist change.
First off, I totally agree with you on the "status quo bias". I'm a gasoline dinosaur, and I'll be the first to admit that. I like old pushrod V8s, not just from a performance aspect, but everything else that goes with that V8 (sound, smells, vibrations). That being said, I do try to keep an open mind, even if I know it's not something I'd ever want to purchase. EVs and gasoline cars are absolutely different experiences, and worlds apart as you said. It's just that I still prefer the gasoline experience. My friends who do own EVs swear by them, and are richer by ~$400 each month compared to me due to my gasoline expenses. Just personal preferences in the end I guess.

Last edited by AKTransAM : 29th January 2023 at 12:44.
Old 14th February 2023, 18:53   #22

I have never driven supercars, but had my experience with fair share of big bikes. I drove only two electric cars till now, an iX xdrive40 and a mini Cooper se both of which blew my mind away. The acceleration is mind boggling and incomparable to anything I have driven/ridden till date. If not for the range concerns and stress of finding electric infra to recharge when needed, I would totally buy an electric car.
Old 14th February 2023, 19:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instant torque, zero lag and Fun to drive factor.
Quote:
But the way today's affordable EVs drive and deliver instant accleration, and in some cases Sub-10 second timings to 100kmph, there are a lot of converts (read Dieselheads and petrolheads), who are vouching for EVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You could never buy an ICE car under 15 lakhs that did 0 - 100 in 7 seconds, but trust me, you will be able to buy EVs that will.
The above 2 posts summarise the reason I bought a Nexon EV. I also drive a BMW X1 and a Mini Cooper S. Now even though both are way more fun to drive than a Nexon EV, the Nexon EV does not disappoint. Now a lot of people will ridicule me for this statement and I'm sure all those people will be those who have not driven a EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
Only factor missing in most powerful EVs is the right engine note we petrol heads are addicted to. New Bimmers with Hans Zimmer notes proves that is very much solvable. Give me a nice EV with such an audio feedback and I am game.
You can add a speaker in the boot which will give out some nice supercar sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
but they are also the outright first choice for "difficult to repair" category.
EV's are much simpler to repair than ICE cars. It's only a matter of time till all electricians figure out how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Sorry for going OT - but what happens to the duty/tax shortfall for Centre and state when EV becomes commonplace.
Frankly, I don't care. They have already made a lot of money on taxes we pay throughout the life of our cars.

Quote:
Will the government front-load onto the car price making vehicles more expensive ?
I have anticipated this. So I took the risk and bought an EV early and also got a subsidy.

Quote:
Or will a delta tax be applied to electricity usage , in effect reducing the gap in cost/km between EV's and IC's ?
I have anticipate this too and have started making plans for solar panels to charge the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks