Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 16:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Can I fit LPG for SX4.

Hi, Guys,

I'am interested to buy SX4 I have TD'ed and I kike the car...as my budget is around 7L, and the FE in city is around 9kmpl, can I fit in a LPG to get more VFM (in terms of FE).....
Old 10th July 2007, 16:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

I feel as long as you can find good LPG kit and installer you can. you will looose warranty and its new engine so risk factor is more but you can try LPG for sure! you can save some money for sure and also it has huge boot so lpg tank like 50+ltr can be fitted easily.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Technically Yes you can.

But more practically WHY ?

Your warrently will be void. And may be even Null.
God forbit if you face any problem you will be thrown around between dealer and person who install LPG kit.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:15   #4
BHPian

Hi,

You can fit LPG on SX4. I have fitted LPG kits to all my vehicles & has driven nearly 3 lakh kms on LPG. as far as kit is concerned i suggest you to go for MINDA IMPCO kits as they are more advanced than LOVATO & BRC kits. I had fitted it on my petra when all other kit manufacturers has said no. an extra mixer is fitted which helps in retaining your drop in performance as well as reatins fuel efficency which is normally prescribed for LPG. Also these kits come as standard fitment for WagonRDuo hence no reliablity issues.

But as SX4 has got Mseries engine I want you to better consult kit sales person.

well in case of any warranty failures wherein you want to change some engine parts simply tell the kit person to remove the kit & then give for warranty claim whrein no problem arrives. I had done this for my petra & had no issues also received by claim.
Old 10th July 2007, 20:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
You can fit LPG on SX4. as far as kit is concerned i suggest you to go for MINDA IMPCO kits as they are more advanced than LOVATO & BRC kits.
Bond, please tell us how Minda is more advanced than LOVATO & BRC kits.

Quote:
an extra mixer is fitted which helps in retaining your drop in performance as well as reatins fuel efficency which is normally prescribed for LPG.
How is an extra mixer fixed? The throttle body has only one inlet, right??Mixers are not made by the kit companies. They are locally sourced in most cases.

Quote:
You can fit LPG on SX4. But as SX4 has got Mseries engine I want you to better consult kit sales person.
well in case of any warranty failures wherein you want to change some engine parts simply tell the kit person to remove the kit & then give for warranty claim
No kit manufacturers has approval for SX4 till date. It will take a few months to get the approval from ARAI. Service guys can easily say if an LPG kit has been installed. It will require a lot of time to cover up the kit installations indicators.
Old 10th July 2007, 23:37   #6
BHPian

i think your dealer can help you in such a case.....ask the dealer for lpg kit,,this may help you in retaining your warranty....bt dont knw whether you can get lpg in sx4 as said in the above posts
Old 11th July 2007, 00:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

There was a thread on this before by karan561?
Old 11th July 2007, 00:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
No kit manufacturers has approval for SX4 till date. It will take a few months to get the approval from ARAI.

Absolutely right. There is no legally approved kit for SX4 yet, but it is expected very very soon.
Old 11th July 2007, 01:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Can you make an Elephant do gymnastics? Yes you can. But it is far more easier to make a monkey do it.

If FE/running cost is your main concern, why don't you consider other cars?
Old 11th July 2007, 11:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Bond, please tell us how Minda is more advanced than LOVATO & BRC kits.

How is an extra mixer fixed? The throttle body has only one inlet, right??Mixers are not made by the kit companies. They are locally sourced in most cases.

No kit manufacturers has approval for SX4 till date. It will take a few months to get the approval from ARAI. Service guys can easily say if an LPG kit has been installed. It will require a lot of time to cover up the kit installations indicators.

This is what we get through Minda IMPCO..while below picture shows the kit of Lovato gas

You cans see an extra mxer added in IMPCO before venturi which is not present in Lovato gas kits. This mixer comes in between air filter & venturi.
Old 11th July 2007, 12:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Can you make an Elephant do gymnastics? Yes you can. But it is far more easier to make a monkey do it.

for any petrol car running cost is always an issue even if you take ALTO running cost comes to around Rs 3/km which you can surely reduces by 40% by fitting LPG. So for SX4 running cost which may be arround 5/km can be reduced to rs 3.30 & kit cost of around 24000 can be recovered in just 14000kms. if CNG option is available in your city then saving could be much more. And nowadays availablity of LPG is easier atleast at every 200kms.
Old 11th July 2007, 13:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post

Are you saying that a FE conscious person should not drive the SX4 ? IIRC, I think all the vehicles in Buckingham palace run on LPG.
Old 11th July 2007, 14:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would always prefer a diesel to a LPG driven car. I converted to LPG only because a diesel wasnt available in my budget.
Agreed there is considerable savings on LPG, but you should be ready to put up with the issues associated with it.
Old 11th July 2007, 14:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

While using an open-loop(regular) LPG setup, its always better to run richer.
Its good for the engine.And Will not affect the environment much either.

One might lose a km on FE. But,still the saving is 40%.
So, if one doesn't cringe on getting that perfect balance between FE and power which is really tough to find in open-loop and would take a lot of trial and error and time, its better to run richer rather than starve the engine and reduce its life.
LPG is better than diesel in most of the aspects.And Ajo, we will discuss this in person or by phone.U'll definitely accept my point.
Old 11th July 2007, 23:07   #15

Quote:

This is what we get through Minda IMPCO..while below picture shows the kit of Lovato gas

You cans see an extra mxer added in IMPCO before venturi which is not present in Lovato gas kits. This mixer comes in between air filter & venturi.
hello bond,
good to find minda fan. i am a retroffiter of gas kit. i have tried minda kits.No doubt they are best quality kit but sorry to say that they are not that much advance kit. the thing u term extra mixer is actually known as air valve. it calibrates the amount of gas according to the suction of engine. there is one diaphram in it which works on negative pressure which in terms controls flow of air and gas. Its very good system on paper but practically its not that much effective.
also main point fitting of air valve is not specifically designed for indian cars. the are mchined here in india and all that mchined left out particals are left inside that air valve to damage ur engine. also its fitting is on three bolt without any rubber ring between the air valve and throttle which allows unfiltered air to engin which is very dangerous for ur engine.
This air valve system gives better accerlation and pick-up but with huge loss in mileage. Where as conventional mixer system is better in average but not provide power.
mixer can be modified to give more accerleration but sorry to say that air valve can not be modified to give more mileage.
also there is some amount of restriction in venturi size due to air valve which is hinder your cars performance on petrol also. Best system is do not use any mixer or air valve just use injection system of gas. it will provide both mileage and power.
NIRAV PATEL
ANKLESHWAR
GUJARAT

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks