Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2023, 11:47   #1

Cars, Colors, Bad Omens and Lemons

I had not thought I would be ever writing this on Team BHP, but here I am - forced by the sequence of events.

To Start, I drive a 2017 Tata Hexa. It’s a Ceramic Coated Grey Colored Beauty. Sky Grey to be specific.
There were Family objections to me choosing this shade. For them no matter what the shade, it’s just a Black Car. But I nevertheless went ahead. I felt no other Color looked good on a Huge Car like Hexa.
I never gave too much importance on the superstition around Colors and Dates.

But here is a list of incidents involving my Car from the time of buying.

- In 2017, just 2 weeks of buying in Bangalore, I met with an accident! A tempo guy banged into my Left Rear Door.
- In 2019, I was driving to Goa and in one of the turns, a commercial vehicle driving rashly on my opposite side in the Ghats brushed the right side of my Bumper damaging the Arch above my Front Wheel
- In 2020, I damaged by rear left Arch while taking a left turn in my tight apartment parking
- In 2021, on my way to a Temple, a Lady riding a Scooty with her 3 Kids lost balance and fell beside my Car when I was waiting at a Red Signal. I don’t know how she was trying to maneuver, but she damaged my Fog Lamp Housing.
- In 2022, I was driving back Home late evening at a Forest Stretch (Goa Road again), and at a Curve I got blinded by the bright LEDs of an oncoming Car and I ended up ramming into a herd of Buffalos. The Buffalo got up, looked at me and ran away! This time I ended up with a damaged Bonnet ☹
- Jan 2023, again on my way to a Temple, an OLA driver jumped signal and rammed on the left side of my Car. On the same day when I was driving back Home, a Couple on MG Road took a sudden Right Turn without any signal and rammed into my car and fell down. It was a near miss. It would have been worse had they come down my wheels. The rider apologized realizing it was his mistake, but I was shaken this time.

Apart from the parking incident which was my lapse of concentration, none of the other incidents was I at fault. I am a sedate Driver. Always cautious and within speed limits.
I have been brushing it aside since 2017. But I’m unable to take it off my head anymore. The last incident has ruined my belief system- it truly was a near miss for the Couple on Scooty.
Am I thinking too much? I have started feeling that I and my Car are indeed attracting these accidents and my Family was Right about the Color.

Since the Car is already 5Yrs old, my initial thought were to sell it and go for a New One. Any Non-Black Colored one this time!
But reading GTO’s advice + No real replacement for a Hexa in the current market is holding me back. It still drives like a dream. Very recently I did a Bangalore-Pondy-Kanchipuram stretch and it was effortless.

I love my Cars. I am a person with Spiritual/Religious bend of mind but never have I installed a God’s Idol in any of my Cars– I think it’s time to do so now!

Do Dark Cars (or any other objects) really attract Negativity? I still feel it should not! I see so many Well Maintained Shiny Black Cars on the road. But we are conditioned by our Experiences in life. And mine has been terrible since I brought Home a Black Hexa!
Lone_Wolf is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 17:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Cars, Colors, Bad Omens and Lemons

None of the incidents you have quoted seems to be your fault, apart from the parking incident ofcourse. Having said that i do not believe a cars color has anything to do with it. I would suggest you hang onto this beautiful car as long as you are able. If you are really intent on getting rid of it i don't see any other worthy replacements, maybe the Toyota Hycross but spending upwards of 30+L for a bad omen on car color seems to be unreasonable.
Minor incidents like these are to be expected in a city like Bangalore, changing the car would not make any difference. Its just the hand we are dealt.
aston_martyr is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 17:45   #3
BHPian

The symptoms do not point to negativity caused by the colour of the car, they are just symptoms of driving in India!
In so many years of ownership, your Hexa has faced what almost all cars in India have to undergo. Good luck or bad luck has nothing to do with the colour of your car.

My dads first car was an Ambassador mark-IV that fell into a canal when it was white! It was painted black after the accident and it never met with an accident again. My Green Ikon (green is supposed to be bad luck) never met with any accidents in the 17 years it ran across Assam, Meghalaya, Delhi, U.P and Haryana.

On the other hand, we avoided going for a black Merc in 2014 because black was supposed to mean bad luck. We went for a silver one and guess what? Just 7 months into the ownership, the driver side door got twisted like a coke can when my driver managed to crash into a tree while he was reversing with the door open. The car has also seen multiple battle scars caused by auto rickshaws, 2 wheelers and Boleros with big bull bars. It even had to undergo a windshield replacement after the wiper fell onto the windscreen while the driver was cleaning the car. My Blue Ertiga, delivered on an auspicious day and with an 'auspicious' number has also seen incidents similar to your Hexa in under 2 years. The point is, the more a car is on the road, the more likely it is to face such unpleasant situations.

Colour, numerology, date of delivery etc. do not make a car lucky or unlucky. Driving on our roads that have everything ranging from donkeys to excavators, one simply cannot avoid accidents and narrow escapes.
Enjoy driving your Hexa and forget about bad omens.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 5th February 2023 at 17:49.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 17:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Do Dark Cars (or any other objects) really attract Negativity?
Going by your logic the proverbial black cat who crosses your path should be scared of everyone. However, the reverse is true, where people seem to be scared of black cat!

Quote:
I see so many Well Maintained Shiny Black Cars on the road.
And doesn't a black car look so sexy and beautiful? At least I have always thought so. I would have purchased a black car myself, but I know from experience (I had a black RE when I was young), that colour is an immense pain to maintain in a country like ours. One speck of dust is prominently visible on a black paint. No longer worth the effort for me.

Since you seem to be linking colors / brands to accidents here are two anecdotes from real life.

1) Wagon R (Silver)
I had halted at a signal as the lights were red. Dead stop.
An Indica (tourist) came from behind and banged me from behind. I did not see the signal was the excuse when I pulled him out of his car.

2) Terrano (Red)
Again I was at a signal. Red lights. Zero speed. This time an auto came and banged onto my door. I was apoplectic with rage. He in turn played the rich / poor victim card. Cost me 12K to fix the damage.

In both the cases, I wasn't even moving, but still suffered a similar fate.
Different cars.
Different colors.

Moral of the story: Shit happens. Take it in your stride. The only thing that matters is you enjoy driving the vehicle you want .

I suggest you drop this color or model bad idea, and invest in two dash cams for your chariot.
Best of luck!
RedTerrano is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 18:11   #5
BHPian

I believe in taking cues from the universe, not necessarily superstitious. If you have a feeling that something is not giving you good vibes, trust your feelings and listen to what it says. It generally works for me. Cars, home and people have to give you good vibes, if otherwise, trust your feelings and listen to what it says. Like I said, it generally works for me. But be careful to have a balanced approach too.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 5th February 2023 at 18:13.
CliffHanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 19:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I have a black car and have had my share of issues. I definitely don't attribute any of this to the color of the car. Such things happen.

Having said that, I think this superstition is so wide spread that none of the mainstream manufacturers offer a black shade as far as I am aware. So I don't think you run the risk of falling for a black car again..

Ultimately it is your mental peace. If the color of the car is what you feel is making you lose your peace of mind, then no point fighting it, need to figure out what you can do.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 5th February 2023 at 19:11.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 19:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I love my Cars. I am a person with Spiritual/Religious bend of mind but never have I installed a God’s Idol in any of my Cars– I think it’s time to do so now!
Repainting to the color of choice can be an option, it will cost a fraction of what it would cost to replace the car. Since you have had damages and it would need repairs get this color change done. Find a good paintshop which can do it for you.

Do check if Karnataka RTO is allowing color change on the cars now.
nkrishnap is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 19:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
God's omnipotence unfortunately doesn't cover Bangalore's traffic.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 10:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Like you, I never thought I would be reading or replying to such a thread in TeamBHP

If you are not able to get this over in your mind, then go ahead and repaint your car to whatever gives you "peace of mind"

But first, you may want to ponder over the below trivia:-

* The T-Model that Henry Ford built, was all black. Period.
* Black is not just prestige, its power. A good number of Presidents flaunt their black-colored cars
* Black is also associated with bad-ass. If you are, then you already know
* Check out this site - https://www.creditplus.co.uk/blog/ps...f-car-colours/
* and finally this one - https://www.cartoq.com/numerologist-...uy-them-video/

If I were to own a Sky Grey/Black Hexa - I would simply crush all the lemons under the wheels of my mighty beast and move on.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 6th February 2023 at 10:32.
JoshMachine is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 11:21   #10
BHPian

Once,
- I was waiting at a signal and a pearl white Indica Vista ran into my Gold colored car from behind, at high speed. He even blamed me for waiting at the signal, when it is RED. Even the Traffic Constable came to rescue him and not to follow the Law.

The other time,
- I was again waiting at a signal and a Lorry wanted to maneuver left. Why, only god knows, but that incident broke my headlights, bumper and side panel, Including bonnet. Again, its a Gold colored car.

if a Car Color is really of such importance, Gold color will be God level. But still I ended up repenting for stopping at traffic signals, waiting for Green. Total loss ~40K excluding Insurance. (Considering insurance payout, its >1L) \

So, In short, Color is of no importance. Try to have some reflective type of (Black) stickers, if you can get your hands on one, so the visibility of your vehicle at night goes up. That's the best that you can do.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 15:37   #11
BHPian

None of those you mentioned are real big accidents. They are just small incidents that could happen to anyone when on road. Plus you only had one once a year or so.

You just want a new car and you want all of us to approve your decision by giving our point of view.

And the Hexa is not that irreplaceable. Get the Crysta. Except the low speed ride and ground clearance it's better than Hexa in every way.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 16:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Do Dark Cars (or any other objects) really attract Negativity? I still feel it should not! I see so many Well Maintained Shiny Black Cars on the road. But we are conditioned by our Experiences in life. And mine has been terrible since I brought Home a Black Hexa!
It appears you have experienced some mishaps and you are worried they're attributable to the colour of the car. For a moment, stop and think about it - would the same incident have happened if your car colour was different?

My everyday city car is the Thar and I have to vary my driving style drastically from the Thar going to another car. With the Thar, people are automatically repelled by the big tyres and fibre bumpers so I can drive without worrying much. When I drive the Bimmer, I am generally the calm and patient one because people assume I have more to lose so I am going to yield. What however, does not change is that I cannot control others on the road and the probability of a mishap is the same. I have a few pointers if it helps, with this car or another, to probably work around the way you think about these things:
  • Keep your peripheral vision active all the time in traffic. If you see idiots trying to swerve, let them go. They are not worth your time. Same thing for people who approach junctions aggressively, especially the cabbies. Never counter aggression with aggression - you care about your car, they may not.
  • Despite that, don't be overly cautious, little incidents of people scratching bumpers are very common. You tend to make more mistakes when you are overly cautious.
  • Maintain a constant pace in traffic, it doesn't matter if they honk at you. The probability of getting rear-ended reduces drastically if you maintain a constant pace and come to halt slowly. When you see there are 6-7 seconds for the signal to turn red, slow down - let everyone think you're slow and overtake you; much better than braking hard at the line.
  • Having a large SUV may make you think that people will yield but many don't. Take U-turns cautiously. Two wheelers will wait like parasites when you try to turn your car around - behind you when you are in forward and in front of you when you are in reverse. Never lose track of them.
  • Two wheelers don't care about the size of your SUV, they will still try to crawl through cars and knock ORVMs all the time. It may be better to give them enough space instead of trying to close the gap; because they will attempt regardless.

I see that you consider yourself a sedate driver and that is a good thing, but maybe just maybe, a little tweaking to your driving style can avoid these mishaps. Did not mean to provide advice on driving style but having seen all sorts of mad people on the road, I have learnt a thing or two about navigating in our city's crazy traffic so trying to contribute here.
HighRevving is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 17:17   #13
BHPian

As someone rightly said - it's not the color, it's just the way people drive here. No indicators for a turn (irrespective of the vehicle), squeezing through tight gaps, blinding high beams, ignoring traffic signals/rules and the list goes on.

There is nothing much one can do other than driving cautiously, which evidently you're already doing. So just continue doing that.

Even better, place the idol on the car as you are planning to. After that, if no such incidents happen then you are happy. If incidents still happen, then it's not due to car color (since that's negated by the God's idol). It's like a win-win situation for you (not exactly though if car keeps taking a hit, but you'd understand )

Lastly, my question to everyone who thinks that black brings omen - have you dyed your hair white? Or gone bald?
No offense
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 17:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
You just want a new car and you want all of us to approve your decision by giving our point of view.
Haha. I always had that itch, but given the current macroeconomic conditions, I am trying to stay away from an additional loan
Lone_Wolf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 18:05   #15
BHPian

You do realize that it's not the car but you who was in the Accident.
If you had driven slower/faster than what you did, you wouldnt have been at that point in time when the accident happened.
Quote:
- In 2017, just 2 weeks of buying in Bangalore, I met with an accident! A tempo guy banged into my Left Rear Door.
- You reached the rendezvous point with the Tempo a bit too early. The divine only interevened to slow you down.

Quote:
- In 2019, I was driving to Goa and in one of the turns, a commercial vehicle driving rashly on my opposite side in the Ghats brushed the right side of my Bumper damaging the Arch above my Front Wheel
- The car didnt steer into the path of the CV , you did.
There could have been multiple options left for you at that time, including speeding up, stopping suddenly, swerving out etc. Your brain would have calculated the risks associated with all the options and took the decision that the least impactful/harmful option was to get a scrape. Imagine the worst case scenario now (if you had done anything other than the scrape)

Quote:
- In 2020, I damaged by rear left Arch while taking a left turn in my tight apartment parking
- We all are sometimes bad at maths.

Quote:
- In 2021, on my way to a Temple, a Lady riding a Scooty with her 3 Kids lost balance and fell beside my Car when I was waiting at a Red Signal. I don’t know how she was trying to maneuver, but she damaged my Fog Lamp Housing.
- You need to drive slowly to the temple, or avoid visiting the temple. Probably there's some karmic connection between you and temple

Quote:
- In 2022, I was driving back Home late evening at a Forest Stretch (Goa Road again), and at a Curve I got blinded by the bright LEDs of an oncoming Car and I ended up ramming into a herd of Buffalos. The Buffalo got up, looked at me and ran away! This time I ended up with a damaged Bonnet ☹
- You should also stop visiting Goa. Not the car, its Goa for sure! Also, we are informing PETA on this declaration of crime

Quote:
- Jan 2023, again on my way to a Temple, an OLA driver jumped signal and rammed on the left side of my Car. On the same day when I was driving back Home, a Couple on MG Road took a sudden Right Turn without any signal and rammed into my car and fell down. It was a near miss. It would have been worse had they come down my wheels. The rider apologized realizing it was his mistake, but I was shaken this time.
- Doh! no more temple visits for you. Next time take the Auto/Uber/Metro/Scooter.
2/3 wheelers in Bangalore have full right to take a turn at any given point in time. Thanks to the blessings of the almighty that you had collected early in the morning that the 2wheeler person agreed to accept his mistake! It is nothing short of a miracle and you should probably offer a few more coconuts!

You'd have realized that all of this is in jest. Driving in India is a challenge in itself. People in Chennai think Bangalore is horrible. Bengalureans think Kolkata is a mess.
Accidents happen and thats how we keep the garages happy.Imagine a scenario where there are no accidents! all the garages and bodyshops will go out of business! Job loss for so many!

PS : No intention of offending you brother. Apologies in advance in case I have inadvertently done so.

PPS : Had to meet the 2 smiley quota, else..
aqualeo2040 is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks