Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2007, 14:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

I think it is an unnecessary act. It is always safe to stop at the auto-cut off mark. Also all the fuel tanks have some mechanism, either built into the cap or as an extra fitting to let air in/out. So if air can go in/out, then fuel too can seep out if filled to the brim.
Old 11th July 2007, 15:02   #17
BHPian

even my santro`s fuel tank can adjust 3 to 4 lts of fuel on shaking...bt logically ..the volume of fuel tank is same ...so how can we get extra fuel by shaking the car ....
Old 11th July 2007, 15:35   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the point?

I know some people who never ever drive with a full tank except when they are going on a long trip.

They fill up often, and with just a little --- like 1/4 tank or something.

The idea is simple: A full tank adds to the weight of the car: why use fuel to carry the weight of all that fuel around?

I have always been too lazy to even think about doing such a thing, but it seems many members here consider fuel consumption very important, and, I guess, every little counts!

Also, although I'm convinced it is psychological, I have this feeling that a car with a full tank runs better!
Old 11th July 2007, 15:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

My car's tank is 42 litres. When I fill till auto cut-off, its usually 38 litres. I know there still some fuel in it. If I shake, I can fill at most 1/2 litre more. Not worth the effort.

I guess people do it so that they fill maximum quantity of fuel in the tank and thereby reduce the number of trips to the bunk.
Old 11th July 2007, 15:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

there is always a small spillover pipe attached to the cars fuel inlet hose, which connects back into the tank. if you fill 1/4th tank you also let the fuel evaporate more in the empty space.

the auto-cut is no benchmark for a full tank and will always fill lesser than a full tank due to the mechanism, when the fuel comes back to the hose, it puts pressure on the filler hoses tip and that activates the cut off. since the fuel is whirling inside the tank, its usually earlier than the actual full tank.

shaking can give you max 0.5 to 1ltr more fill, nothing more.

Last edited by dadu : 11th July 2007 at 16:00.
Old 11th July 2007, 15:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What's the point?

They fill up often, and with just a little --- like 1/4 tank or something.
Not a recommended practice. Almost empty tanks have higher evoporation of fuel hence one tends to get lower FE. It is therefore recomended to fill the tank up before it falls below 1/3 capacity.
Old 11th July 2007, 16:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Not a recommended practice. Almost empty tanks have higher evoporation of fuel hence one tends to get lower FE. It is therefore recomended to fill the tank up before it falls below 1/3 capacity.
Also, doesnt this practice of not filling the tank to full make it more prone to corrosion?
Old 11th July 2007, 16:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Shaking a car whilst filling fuel is probably the worst thing one can do. This is probably done to get the maximum fuel in the tank and for some it is a force of habit. But is this good? How would you feel if you had to stuff in so much food that you could not put in another morsel? Works the same way. Filling the tank to the brim will do more harm than good.
Usually the fuel delivery from the pump will snap stop after it detects that fuel has reached the filler tube. This is because the incoming fuel foams and this fools the pump head into shutting off. One may try filling in again but not by using coersive methods ashaking the car. After the second try in a short while, you will hear a second snap and the pump will again shut. One should not proceed after the pumping device shuts off for the second as some air space must be left above the fuel to allow for expansion and also for fuel to recirculate from the engine. This is essential for purposes of maintaining a constant fuel system pressure, as well as maintaining a uniform temperature throughout the fuel system.

Last edited by V-16 : 11th July 2007 at 16:30. Reason: add
Old 11th July 2007, 16:24   #24
BHPian

i too shake the car to release the air in the fuel tank.

it also happens sometimes that excesive air may result in the stalling or non starting of the car.

so it is better to shake the car while filling up.

Mansi
Old 11th July 2007, 16:27   #25
BHPian

Interesting thread this - i've read multiple numbers being mentioned about the quantity of fuel that can go in after the auto-cutoff, anywhere from 10-12litres (was it a truck?) to "not more than 1L max" - i am sure this is highly dependent on the vehicle type. On my zen, i could never top up more than 0.5L after auto cut-off (despite the shaking and all that), whereas on the Palio, i have regularly been able to go beyond 2L after auto cut-off (must admit the zen was a lot more easier to shake than the palio is)
Old 11th July 2007, 18:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

My car takes in about 1 ltr after auto cut off if we shake the vehicle. I do this when ever I'am filling the petrol to tank full and will be on long trip....
Old 11th July 2007, 18:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu
if you fill 1/4th tank you also let the fuel evaporate more in the empty space.
Do u have proof for this,dadu?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Also, doesnt this practice of not filling the tank to full make it more prone to corrosion?
Aren't fuel tanks made of plastic,these days,amitoj??
PS: Nice to see u back on the forum.
Old 11th July 2007, 18:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Aren't fuel tanks made of plastic,these days,amitoj??
PS: Nice to see u back on the forum.
Thanks!! And DOH !! now i know i had heard this in relation to bikes.
Old 11th July 2007, 18:31   #29
Team-BHP Support

what was i thinking when i read the title lolz.

my thought dont shake em so much!! take a break and see if second fill happen with auto cut off, or just leave it at that. not worth the effort
Old 11th July 2007, 18:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

What is the objective of the shaking??
How is it going to affect the car or FE??

Most Viewed