Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2007, 19:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingummy View Post
Interesting thread this - i've read multiple numbers being mentioned about the quantity of fuel that can go in after the auto-cutoff, anywhere from 10-12litres (was it a truck?) to "not more than 1L max" - i am sure this is highly dependent on the vehicle type. On my zen, i could never top up more than 0.5L after auto cut-off (despite the shaking and all that), whereas on the Palio, i have regularly been able to go beyond 2L after auto cut-off (must admit the zen was a lot more easier to shake than the palio is)
I tried all this jugglery once, it could only take 0.7lit after auto cut....after that i never do anything just fill till autocut and i am getting a consistent FE...

Abhi
Old 11th July 2007, 19:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Filling till auto cut is good always for multiple reasons:

1. Fuel bunk guys can't play around with measurement by telling they will top up till auto cut its like automated filling with start filling and till auto cut.

2. No need to shake the car which might cause some damage (not sure) so not much energy needed LOL to fill the fuel.

3. If we use credit card its better to use autocut no need to worry about change otherwise chances of loosing 50 paisa

For big cars like Innova pipe runs till fuel tank which will occupy more fuel. thats why after auto cut off we can fill 2 to 3 ltr to top it up.

For small cars

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 11th July 2007, 19:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Also, the attendant might not be attentive and overfill & spill the fuel. Subsequent arguments with the manager might be avoided.
Old 11th July 2007, 21:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Well the person is right. When we fill our tanks air is always present in them. The auto-stop never completely fills the tank, but shaking the car helps the air to escape out through the filler and this way you can get more fuel in than what the auto-stop would allow.

Drifter
Old 11th July 2007, 22:02   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

All attendants at my regular Shell pumps know its not good for their well being if my car is shaken.

Normal 1G gravity top-up it is always
Old 11th July 2007, 22:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

very few drivers here actually do this. I give the car a little shake everytime i fill gas, and I have seen that i'm usually able to fill upto 1/2 a gallon of fuel more,after the auto cut off.
I generally do this,so I know i'm starting off with a full tank & this helps me check the exact mileage of the car till it gets empty. 12-13gallons for 320-350miles.
Old 11th July 2007, 22:43   #37
BHPian

Just ask the pump attendant to put in the fuel slowly without it foaming inside, after the first cut-off. No shaking required. Time consuming though

But care to be taken, so that the fuel doesn't spill over.
Old 11th July 2007, 22:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

If you want max fuel then shaking is the only way to go. Yes filling very slowly also helps but only to a certain extent.

Different cars take in different amounts after cut-off. Its mainly due to tank design and placement.

Drifter
Old 11th July 2007, 23:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

In the Optra when i fill i never shake it but it auto cuts at a point, after the auto cut around 12-15L of fuel goes in.
Old 11th July 2007, 23:30   #40
BHPian

I think it's because we like to shake a few things before use!!
Old 13th July 2007, 00:57   #41
BHPian

Dont shake and fill

Fuel tanks should not be filled full (by shaking). There should be space for the fumes otherwise the fuel tank will burst.
Old 13th July 2007, 09:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
Fuel tanks should not be filled full (by shaking). There should be space for the fumes otherwise the fuel tank will burst.

Whoever heard of Fuel tank burst HEHEHEHEHE

Jokes apart. The fuel will flow out of the tank. The tank doesn't burst.
Old 13th July 2007, 09:29   #43
BHPian

Folks,
Shaking the vehicle to put in more fuel -
if there is no airlock, then it would defy the laws of physics.

cheers!
Old 13th July 2007, 12:52   #44
BHPian

I thought People shake their car to see at what level the fuel is inside the tank so they can put in a little bit more after auto cut off. I have seen bike guys do this to check if they have enough fuel but never seen a car guy do it :-)
Old 13th July 2007, 13:08   #45

the vehical is shaken to remove the air bubbles the air bubbles problems exist largely for older (carborator) vehicals it is not really true for MPFI vehicals mpfi vehicals suck the fuel using pumps so there is preasure built up during the running of the vehical giving very littel chances of air bubbles...

this is also one of the main reasons that when a mpfi car stops due to lack of fuel the vehical needs atleast 5 liters of petrol to start it , but in older carborator engines if you shook the vehical you could easily travel for another 10 kms atleast.

Most Viewed