Team-BHP - Shaking Vehicle while filling petrol - will it help?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Shaking Vehicle while filling petrol - will it help? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/26228-shaking-vehicle-while-filling-petrol-will-help.html)

Hello All;

Whenever i visit a petrol bunk, i always see one or the other shaking his vehicle & filing the petrol. People shake their vehicles when they are filling full tank. Once i spoke to one person who was doin it, he told me u can fill more fuel by doing it :Frustrati . I told boss its fuel, its liquid how can you shake the vehicle & make more space inside the tank. The person dint have any answer....

Does this work??? Can you really fill in more fuel by shaking the vehicle??

If it works by shaking vehicle u can fill more fuel........then think of Lorry & bus drivers..shaking their vehicles....:p

Regards
Deeps

i guess it might be helping the fuel to move quicker to the fuel tank from where u put it in

Just topped my car to a full tank last night. The bloke at the pump did shake the car and he did get a little more fuel in!

I guess it may have something to do with the shape of the fuel inlet pipe and they way it connects to the tank... Dunno (DUH)!

Shaking the vehicle to put more fuel? lol
I remember when i visit grinding shop u need to shake the utensil to spread the grinded part evenly. How is it applicable to a fluid...

well..the answer to this is really simple...they shanke the vehicle to remove air if any trapped in the fuel tank..thereby making space for slightly more fuel

~A

Same principle the Doctor uses to remove the air inside the injections..He just gives gentle taps..We Shake em..haha!!

Personally I feel sometimes the fuel would just come out..

It is not at all advisable to fill in the fuel till the brim of the fuel tank for the following reasons -

1. Exapnsion of Fuel when parked in a hot spot and overflow of the same
2. spillage from the fuel cap if the cap is not closed airtight.

reason 1 is most common. Not only you loose fuel but you have an ugly fuel stain on your car that needs to be cleaned. It is worse if it is Diesel.

You do not achieve anything by an extra 0.5 litre of fuel. so avoid top offs till the brim.

What happens is that there are quite a few air pockets that get trapped in the tank while you fill fuel. Shaking the vehicle helps the air escape and you can fill in more fuel.

I had read an article in BSM recently that before their road tests they back up to lift one rear wheel (closest to the fuel tank) on an inclined surface to full in more fuel.

mostly the drivers of sumo s n qualis are engaged in these visually entertaning act its fun if ur inside the car too

I think the gush of the fuel while filling creates bubbles and by shaking the vehicle the air trapped in the bubbles escapes faster.. I might be wrong though..just a guess

they shake the car to remove the trapped pockets of air inside and the amount of extra fuel u can fill depends on the amount of air trapped inside

for eg my optra magnum can fill in 12 to 13 liters of fuel after the auto shutoff

Yes thats right, When I tried this shaking technique with my Innove I could fill 3 ltr extra, Air pockets will open up and fuel goes in by shaking.

I always use autocut although, only very rarely I top up.

Regards,

Ravi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dockap (Post 496753)
they shake the car to remove the trapped pockets of air inside and the amount of extra fuel u can fill depends on the amount of air trapped inside

for eg my optra magnum can fill in 12 to 13 liters of fuel after the auto shutoff

12-13 litres?? :Shockked: Really or was it a typo?

Autocar India uses a small ramp to tilt the vehicle a bit to fill more fuel.
Although, a small shake is good. Vigorous shaking and/or overfilling will only make U lose more fuel.

In my case, after auto shut off, I can push in at least 5 litres if I do the shake routine. There is also one more reason for the shaing - fuel tanks are often mis shaped which means there may be small compartments where the fuel may not enter unless you agitate the vehicle/ tank a bit.