Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2004, 05:09   #16

well as it may be noted, hyundai does not come out with the best build quality. pick up is decent, so is themileage in case of santro. its the flair that it lacks.agreed the accent is an improved esteem, but run it against the new 85 bhp esteem, and u shall know what your heart tells u.besides the esteem is a long time trusted car thanks to the fact that it comes from the stablesof maruti udyog. even the tornado for the matter. run it against the ford ikon 1.6 or the honda city vtec or even the 1.5exi for that matter and it just clears the fact that those 100+ bhp of power r no good. sonata v6 has got power 170 bhp but again, its only *a rip off. no flair. the ppl who wud pursue that segment wanna generally pay for the flair. so wat i wud liketo say is that its not hyundai that ppl hate but its just that other car manufacturers have better things to offer in all respective segments both in terms of performance as well as the value for money!
Old 4th July 2004, 15:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

hey hyundai is not hated .... i owned a santro earlier for 3 years and the car gave me exemplary service thruout. never did it let me down even once.

as i have always maintained in india, the best car launched by hyundai is the santro..a perfect city vfm car. the accent, sonata , terracan , viva are all wannabes ........but not quite there

and yes hyjndai do lie abt hp and stuff like that......thats what frustates ppl.

but it has the best service network in india ( i think its better than maruti too ) and thats saying a lot becoz they just landed up abt 6 yrs ago.

anyways with the getz , things are looking good for hyundai here.
lets hope they come out with facts abt the car and not lies and like gto said over aggressive markrting !! ( remember accent- the 1 billion dollor car ... lol that was something )

cheers
Old 7th February 2005, 18:12   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
One of the main reasons i dislike Hyundai is for their engines. neither are they as powerful as Hyundai claims them to be nor are they any fun to drive.

Rev a Hyundai and it'll plead for mercy. Even the sporty ones like the Viva and Tornado fail to impress.

Regards...
Shan2nu
bra you drove the wrong hyundai . I HAVE A HYUNDAI ACCENT1.5 CSI TOP ,SPEED IS 200KPH.JUST RESENTLY I HAD A RACE WITH A NISSAN SENTRA GSI1.6.HE COULD NOT BEAT the HYUNDAI. LOOK AT THE DIFFRENCES HYUNDAI NISSAN SENTRA
ENGENS = 1.5CSI 1.6 GSI
TYRE = 13-175,70 15- 195.50
MY ENGEN IS STANDAARD NO FANCY STUFF. MY NORMAL SPEED DAILY IS 160KPH,AND I DROVE 220 KM DAILY.I HAVE THIS CAR FOR 15MONTHS.PREVIOUS ONE FOR 54 MONTHS SAME PERFORMENS.
Old 7th February 2005, 18:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
After all these... please remember Hyundai is the fifth largest selling car brand

and the Xing is the highest selling car in its category.
Old 7th February 2005, 18:28   #20
BANNED

i dont hate them. i own a santro and accent at this point. both are very good. no break downs cheap to maintain as well. nothing has gone wrong at all with anything. they are gr8 just that they dont have a huge name like honda which comes out with ugly cars people still buy. i want to see a honda jazz in this country dunno what they waiting for. it will drop sales of their ugly so called CITY
Old 7th February 2005, 20:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hyundais are not hated.Thier designs are hated by educated automobile persons.Like us.For the masses who dunt know that a Sonata has been inpired by a Jag,its fine.
They love Hyundais no matter wot.And they do have good service and have caught up really well with Maruti,which is arguably the most profitable and known company in India.As far as the cars are selling,damn the critics.

X
Old 7th February 2005, 20:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think its just some sort of prejudice, they arent BAD cars, they just arent exceptional in any way.
Old 7th February 2005, 22:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine
.Thier designs are hated by educated automobile persons.Like us.X

hey x,
congrats
i did learn a few things after t-bhp ,but am still learning and have still not known enough to call myself an educated automobile person.

i dont think hyundai designs are hated,but at the same time they are not hated also.its just the shape on the Atoz or our ugly santro that we dont seem to like.
Old 7th February 2005, 22:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

I guess Hyundai's are hated by a lot of people on Team-BHP. The hatred spreads like a deadly virus. Most people who don't hate Hyundai get influenced by talks from Hyundai haters and they too give into the hatred.

The number of people who love Hyundai exceed the number who hate them. This is seen by Hyundai sales itself. They are just going through the same phase Skoda had gone through.

Last edited by Gordon : 7th February 2005 at 22:27.
Old 7th February 2005, 22:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey F50,

I think its three reasons.

Firstly, hyundai's were initially known for their bad engineering. The cars just would not last. But things have changed, and their warranty in the US tried to prove that point, but sadly the original image just stuck.

Secondly, hyundai has been known to give wrong specs, especially when it comes to hp (or should i say PS) figures. Also you could say that there is no hyundai that tickles the true driving enthusiasts...and thats why they seem to be disliked on this board (which is mostly driving enthusiasts...... but speak to your average bussnessman who drives a santro accent or sonata and they will tell you what a good deal they got.

Thirdly, a lot of people lost a lot of respect for hyundai after they saw the sonata's design being automotive plagarism. Not really acceptable in my opinion too. Its ok if there is a resemblance....but this was a lift off.

Those are the reasons people dont like hyundai.

cheers
R

ps - V12, its not acceptable to say people hate hyundai's because they are Korean. Its just that in peoples minds here they are associating cheap build quality or bad design with korea...which is not a very well exposed point of view.

i dont agree - just as no one knew Hyundai from the 80's we here in India also dint know so it was a clean start for them. and yeah Hyundai gave all the wrong figures ( i dont think in India) but in the USA. and giving out wrong BHP or torque figures dint hamper them a bit here. they killed Daewoo as GTO says.

and if a few handful of people here go only for driving pleasure or original designs - well they have other cars. Hyundai never bragged abt being performance cars except the Viva to a certain extent . it was all about comfortability and affordability - that Hyundai gave to customers !!

for me - how much ever i hate the sonata designs or engines or bad handling - I DONT HATE HYUNDAI. ITS ONE OF THE BEST AUTO MAKERS IN THE WORLD TODAY.

AND REMEMBER THEY ALWAYS GAVE TECHNOLOGICALY BETTER CARS THAN THEIR COMPETITORS ( THE CRDI )

Hyundai is here to stay - like it or not !

cheers
Old 8th February 2005, 07:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy

Hyundai is here to stay - like it or not !

cheers
You tell em buddy!!!

Drifter
Old 8th February 2005, 07:48   #27
Team-BHP Support

Hey NC,

I was just giving the reasons why hyundais are hated (by the people who hate them). Im quite obviously not one of them

As you know i have absolutely nothing against the cars, and admire the company on most accounts, especially the way they are treating the indian market.

cya
R
Old 8th February 2005, 10:24   #28
BHPian

I never heard about anyone who hates hyundai!!!! I never knew that they were hated in the first place..
I feel except for may be sonata, all their cars in india are damn good... Considering India and roads here and people's budget and FE etc I see no reason why hyundai should be hated.. Ok may be the guys who can afford bigger and much more expensive cars, could hate hyundai.... Like someone in a post about and R6 said that R6 was a girl's bike.... He has an R1 so he'l feel that.... But an R6 for me is never a girl's bike(Hope most of u'l agree to that)....
Similarly I feel hyundai is a very good company, getting out the perfect machines for Indian roads..
Old 8th February 2005, 10:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey NC,

I was just giving the reasons why hyundais are hated (by the people who hate them). Im quite obviously not one of them

As you know i have absolutely nothing against the cars, and admire the company on most accounts, especially the way they are treating the indian market.

cya
R
rehaan

pal it was nothing personal maan , just used ur post as quotes !!
lol

cheers
Old 8th February 2005, 11:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Pankaj,

Actually hadn't LEDs just been developed about two years ago..... believe me they are powerful!...but how hyundai plans to make them powerful enough to rival halogens or xenons i am interested to see.....
Dont forget that the red LEDs in brakelights dont actually have to project light, but just glow to warn of the brakes being applied.
One of the reasons that LEDs were used in brakelights is the fact that they light up much faster than a regular filament bulb, so that enables a slightly slightly shorter response time for whatever is trailing the car. Also LEDs last longer and use less power.
Was the BMW Z8 the first car to have LED taillights??

cya
R
hey buddy don't u mean a slightly longer response time there??
cheers,
Rai

Most Viewed