Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2005, 11:38   #31
Team-BHP Support

Hey Rai,

When i said slightly shorter response time i mean the time between the action of person in car 1 pressing the brakes and person in car 2 pressing the brakes.
As opposed to response window, which would be longer (ie more time to act) before an accident occurs, which is what i think u think i meant. - see how confusing english is! ;-)

NC, lol, i know man....just wanted to re-clarify as at the time of writing the post (months back) i think it was clear to everyone onboard that i wasnt anti-hyndai, so i was just giving reasons why people might be.

Although i do feel that 90hyundai horses dont equal 90 honda horses....

cya
R
Old 8th February 2005, 12:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
they killed Daewoo as GTO says.
I disagree there. Daewoo was doing extremely well, they had good products, extremely good VFM, very good customer satisfaction ratings, good JD Power ratings and good sales. The problem with Daewoo was that the chairman of the group embezzled funds and pushed the whole group into bankruptcy. And then he vanished and nobody knows where he is today.

In other words, Daewoo was killed by their own chairman. While Daewoo's collapse certainly benefited Hyundai, Hyundai was barely competing with them until the collapse.
Old 8th February 2005, 12:40   #33
BHPian

hyundai got stuff like abs and features etc in hathcbacks... they are providing quality to india atleast they are trying to offer a little bit more than the other brans ... hyundai realises their engine aint that peppy...so they try to improve their engines by giving them more power just imagine what would it be if a tornado had less than 100 horses dont you think the honda would have eaten up the market.. temme how many companies offered abs in cars of the range of 5- 10 lacs it was supposed to be standard in more expensive cars .. and now see even maruti is coming up with abs and airbags in the wagon-R...atleast with the entry of hyundai in india it threatened the already established companies so to keep up even hondas and other companies provide a little something more in the cars.. and also it provides a neater interior and good quality plastics ... and they are working on their engine technology too...
Old 8th February 2005, 12:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
most people hate Hyundai's mainly bcos its Korean. They also copy designs [Sonata].
Yes Korean cars are most hated in US. May be a bad quality product and bad reputation on korean manufacturers, although they offer 100,000 miles warranty for 10 years
Old 8th February 2005, 13:13   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I disagree there. Daewoo was doing extremely well, they had good products, extremely good VFM, very good customer satisfaction ratings, good JD Power ratings and good sales. The problem with Daewoo was that the chairman of the group embezzled funds and pushed the whole group into bankruptcy. And then he vanished and nobody knows where he is today.

In other words, Daewoo was killed by their own chairman. While Daewoo's collapse certainly benefited Hyundai, Hyundai was barely competing with them until the collapse.
My statement was meant in the Indian context.

GTO
Old 8th February 2005, 14:38   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto
Yes Korean cars are most hated in US. May be a bad quality product and bad reputation on korean manufacturers, although they offer 100,000 miles warranty for 10 years
Korean cars were considered a joke (remember Hyundai Excel)in US until few years back, I won't call it hate.

Hyundai earned their joke status through this car.

Then they made a major overhaul and offered 100,000/100 warranty which basically shook the industry. Here is one company that stood by their product for 10 years, something no other car company was/is ready to provide. That warranty combined with highly improved quality started winning hearts. These days nobody considers Hyundai a joke in US nor hate it, except may be people in Detroit. In fact Tiburon is consider a desirable model, even JFK Jr. used to drive one.

About 5 years back I seriously considered Tiburon as a second car. Didn't happen though.
Old 8th February 2005, 14:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

It's difficult to find many faults with Hyundai (especially in India), but I always felt that their cars are not really inspiring. Second thing, I feel, is that they lack character.
Old 8th February 2005, 15:06   #38
BHPian

Yup,
Although they dont ooze with attitude like other big machines, practically speaking its one of the better cars for India...
Old 8th February 2005, 16:51   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

well when i joined this site i was an anti-hyundai because of the sonata and wrong facts
but now i am quite pro-hyundai
i always liked the santro and recommended it to everyone who didnt want a palio or a wagonR
the accent also is a good car and even though i hated it initially and still do hate its lack of performance, flimsy and not very safe body, i love the crdi and only the crdi
the elantra, indias fastest performance sedan (my arse) is well just a KOREAN car. its not fast, looks bad, not very comfortable in the back ... (i can go on and on)
same with the sonata and terracan but i love the crdi engine .
the GETZ however is one of my favorite cars in india and i would like to own it one day. its perfect for the city run

anyway
the main thing is
hyundai as a company has achieved a lot within a short span of time and i greatly respect it and its success.
its just that some of their products arent all that great if you know what i mean
Old 8th February 2005, 21:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
My statement was meant in the Indian context.

GTO
Oh yeah, I have to agree that Hyundai whipped Daewoo in the Indian market. I think it started when Daewoo (initially) goofed up by offering the Matiz in only one fully loaded (and expensive) model, while Hyundai offered dirt cheap versions of the Santro. Plus, Hyundai's advertising (with SRK) was better, and Daewoo did nothing to counter Hyundai's propaganda that the Matiz 800cc engine was underpowered (although it developed 52bhp to the Santro's 55).
Old 9th February 2005, 12:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
Oh yeah, I have to agree that Hyundai whipped Daewoo in the Indian market. I think it started when Daewoo (initially) goofed up by offering the Matiz in only one fully loaded (and expensive) model, while Hyundai offered dirt cheap versions of the Santro. Plus, Hyundai's advertising (with SRK) was better, and Daewoo did nothing to counter Hyundai's propaganda that the Matiz 800cc engine was underpowered (although it developed 52bhp to the Santro's 55).
I feel Matiz lost mainly because of,
1. Shaky future of Daewoo was well known in market (Same as Fiat these days).
2. There were instances of Cielo catching fire when met with accidents, doors jammed etc. Basically safety concerns over the car. The brand name took a beating and Matiz suffered because of it.
Old 9th February 2005, 15:04   #42
BHPian

I guess it's simple...In the developing countries it is value for money..they sell..
If you are a motor enthusiast... You may not even be reading this thread :-)

But then, these are the companies that sponsor any big event, even cricket...
Old 9th February 2005, 15:35   #43
BHPian

Hyundai as a brand in India has done better than all the other guys be it marketing, giving excellent VFM vehicles and giving technology that is the latest it has to offer elsewhere.

Atleast it is unlike other automakers even Maruthi who treat india like some 4th world country and always seem to give slightly old vehicles/technology.

They are getting better and better and we shud not be blaming/hating them for the gud things they have brought to India..
Old 10th February 2005, 15:45   #44

No doubt Hyundai is copy cat and people hate them bcos of this. Even the new Getz is replica of Chevy Avio. The new Tuscon looks like Porsche Caynne (??) from the back.
Hyundai is short of ideas in design.....
Old 10th February 2005, 18:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Alright I missed this one. I'm going to sound redundant, but here it goes anyway. I think the Hyundai cars are immensely practical and fantastic value for money. The Indian consumer has recently started to loosen his purse strings, so obviously VFM is still his priority. Anybody who is considering a B or C Segment car is bound to look at the Hyundais. Combined with low maintenance issues, good after sales, Hyundai definitely did their ground work before they set their right foot into the country. Only thing I hate about Hyundais are the interiors, horrible brakes and copycat engineering. They ought to spend more time designing their cars. On a more positive note, I quite like the rorty sound the Santro makes at higher revs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks