Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2004, 15:34   #1
F50
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to ask this question to everyone and I expect EVERYONE to answer - Why Hyundais are hated by all most everyone?
Old 25th June 2004, 15:36   #2
F50
Senior - BHPian

And one more thing I havent asked this coz I own a Santro but ... I wanna know the reasons and views of everyone here
Old 25th June 2004, 15:46   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

most people hate Hyundai's mainly bcos its Korean. They also copy designs [Sonata].
Old 25th June 2004, 15:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

i personally think accent is just a much better esteem thats all.. santro is good vfm havnt tried the rest of there fleet, but felt that coupe (still not launched in indai ) test drive as fun car to drive..
Old 25th June 2004, 16:05   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

ya hyundai products are good vfms. the accent is anytime a better buy than the Esteem. Even the Xing looks better than the "new" Zen.
Old 25th June 2004, 16:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey F50,

I think its three reasons.

Firstly, hyundai's were initially known for their bad engineering. The cars just would not last. But things have changed, and their warranty in the US tried to prove that point, but sadly the original image just stuck.

Secondly, hyundai has been known to give wrong specs, especially when it comes to hp (or should i say PS) figures. Also you could say that there is no hyundai that tickles the true driving enthusiasts...and thats why they seem to be disliked on this board (which is mostly driving enthusiasts...... but speak to your average bussnessman who drives a santro accent or sonata and they will tell you what a good deal they got.

Thirdly, a lot of people lost a lot of respect for hyundai after they saw the sonata's design being automotive plagarism. Not really acceptable in my opinion too. Its ok if there is a resemblance....but this was a lift off.

Those are the reasons people dont like hyundai.

cheers
R

ps - V12, its not acceptable to say people hate hyundai's because they are Korean. Its just that in peoples minds here they are associating cheap build quality or bad design with korea...which is not a very well exposed point of view.

Old 25th June 2004, 16:25   #7

The Sonata is one example but you should also look at other examples. Before reading this article in one of the most respected Electrical magazines around the globe (IEEE, Spectrum) i had similar views. Huyndai is coming up with the car (to be launched in mid 2005) that is based on the lastest and almost breakthough on electronics. They will be using white light LEDs for the headlamps. Anyone aware with LED technology would immediatly know that it has been a distant dream to make white light (Read Blue) LEDs, that too with the intensity that could replace the head lamp. Red LEDs have been in use now in many vehilces as the brake light or the tail lights but white...........
Old 25th June 2004, 17:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Pankaj @ June 25 2004,14:55)]The Sonata is one example but you should also look at other examples. Before reading this article in one of the most respected Electrical magazines around the globe (IEEE, Spectrum) i had similar views. Huyndai is coming up with the car (to be launched in mid 2005) that is based on the lastest and almost breakthough on electronics. They will be using white light LEDs for the headlamps. Anyone aware with LED technology would immediatly know that it has been a distant dream to make white light (Read Blue) LEDs, that too with the intensity that could replace the head lamp. Red LEDs have been in use now in many vehilces as the brake light or the tail lights but white...........

great thing , thankx for the information.
Old 25th June 2004, 18:26   #9
Team-BHP Support

Hey Pankaj,

Actually hadn't LEDs just been developed about two years ago..... believe me they are powerful!...but how hyundai plans to make them powerful enough to rival halogens or xenons i am interested to see.....
Dont forget that the red LEDs in brakelights dont actually have to project light, but just glow to warn of the brakes being applied.
One of the reasons that LEDs were used in brakelights is the fact that they light up much faster than a regular filament bulb, so that enables a slightly slightly shorter response time for whatever is trailing the car. Also LEDs last longer and use less power.
Was the BMW Z8 the first car to have LED taillights??

cya
R

ps - i am not anti-hyundai....but just was stating the reasons most people dont like hyundai!

Old 25th June 2004, 21:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

One of the main reasons i dislike Hyundai is for their engines. neither are they as powerful as Hyundai claims them to be nor are they any fun to drive.

Rev a Hyundai and it'll plead for mercy. Even the sporty ones like the Viva and Tornado fail to impress.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 25th June 2004, 21:55   #11
SLK
Senior - BHPian

.. I dislike it....

It has nothing to do with korean.

The only problem I have is... that the main objective of the company is to misguide people. They make hyped-up figuers, copied designs, and over aggressive marketing.

I don't hate Hyundai b'coz of korean, but hate Korean b'coz of companies like Hyundai and Samsung etc.

Bottom line : Their product is not upto the mark.

Otherwise I hate all car companies...
Maruti for, having the potential to make better cars.. but won't.
Honda, for replacing the city with some 77bhp korean looking thing.
Fiat, runs out of breath evry now-and then.
TATA and HM : I don't have words.
Old 25th June 2004, 22:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Here is my reason!!! I dont hate Hyundais.. may be bad or may in the list of the worst cars ever.... i love the XG Grandeur, Santa Fe`, Hyundai Coupe V6, to some extent the Accent is also good!

The reason Hyundais are not liked is becauz of their oddball designs. Now wat in the world were Hyundai thinking when they designed the Santro Xing and the bad part is that the magzines say Hyundai India just made the cartoonish Santro look matured! What nonsense.!

Secondly.. yes.. they have some seriously bad engines. But hey.. they surely can improve... If i am not mistaken.. the Santa Fe` aint doing that bad in the USA.!
Old 26th June 2004, 01:14   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai! Who even knew Hyundai in the 80's? No one. Did anyone consider Hyundais in the early 80's? Hardly. Was Hyundai the butt of all jokes automotive? You bet.

Buttttttttttttttt within less than 20 years...each and every top executive of the Big 5 is watching Hyundai.

- Their worldwide annual sales figure is 50% that of Toyotas!

- Slowly and steadily they have raised their quality levels to now being within a hairs breath of the Japanese. In the 2004 JD Quality IQS, they are sharing the no.2 position with Honda at a score of 102. Toyota? No.1 with 101. Read again...a tie with Honda on the quality ladder. This is something each and every American or European car maker would give their right arm for.

- Value is something that Hyundais have taught the world a lesson on. Fully loaded models across the board...even critics agree that they offer cars that are 90% as good as the Japanese at 70% of the price. In fact, Hyundai is the one major contributor in keeping Honda and Toyota prices under check.

- Dominance is the word with Hyundai. In the competitive scenario, they killed Daewoo for all they were worth. Within 6 years of entering India, they are now at the No.2 position. Take out the Maruti 800..and probably no.1. Forget exceeding, if they only keep up their current growth figures...they will be no.5 automaker worldwide!!

- Look at their new products. No longer are they cocky looking. No weird lights and grilles. Example? Look at the Getz. I love this hot hatch...what potential with the CRDi!

- If you think that Hyundai has peaked at its surprises...think again. Such players are the ones that make the most of disruptive technologies. GM, Toyota and Honda may be releasing cars with alternate/hybrid fuels. Its Hyundai who is commiting itself totally to the cause behind closed curtains. When all useable automotive fuel supplies are cut by the governments, its Hyundai who is going to pop the champagne with the most exciting and appropriate models there on. Watch out.

I may not agree with some of their products, but then..neither am I the target market for Hyundai.

Do I hate Hyundai? Are you kidding...Its one of the most respected auto companies for me.

GTO
Old 26th June 2004, 01:24   #14
Team-BHP Support

Rehaan's 3 reasons are spot on. As a Jaguar nut, I was absolutely furious when I saw the Sonata for the 1st time. It was a complete lift off from you know what....
Hyundai's image is steadily changing though. The Getz is pretty good and I do agree with those who have said that the Accent is a better car than the Esteem. It's newer, better built and much more comfortable. The Esteem's engine, however, is a gem.
Old 26th June 2004, 01:51   #15
Team-BHP Support

After all these... please remember Hyundai is the fifth largest selling car brand

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks