Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2023, 12:23   #211
BHPian

re: Tata Nexon Facelift launch in September 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
A close look at Tata Nexon's new 2-spoke steering wheel

Why are manufacturers getting obsessed with the idea of giving their new steering wheels a two-spoke treatment?
Shouldn’t it be optional for the end customer to choose this?

Last edited by bblost : 29th May 2023 at 12:27. Reason: reduced size of quoted post.
Auto spawn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 12:43   #212
BHPian

I am not a big fan of two-spoke design in general, the existing one just oozes class. It would be a bummer if these buttons are capacitive. Call me old fashioned, but I always prefer the good old physical buttons in a car.

Last edited by professortarzan : 29th May 2023 at 12:44. Reason: Rephrasing
professortarzan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 13:00   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto spawn View Post
Why are manufacturers getting obsessed with the idea of giving their new steering wheels a two-spoke treatment?
Unless you do something "new" - you won't be noticed. Someone else - who does something new (regardless of whether it was needed or not) - will be noticed and have good sales. And then - you've missed the bus. Tata has learnt it the hard way over last few years. Good to see them quickly bringing updates and eye catching updates, that cannot be ignored in the crowd.

And - 2 spoke wheels are actually quite good to hold and use. Absolutely no problem in usage in fact. Its more of a psychological block that we want 3 spokes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto spawn View Post
Shouldn’t it be optional for the end customer to choose this?
Cannot be. Absolutely not in budget segments if the carmaker wants to make any profit.
Reinhard is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 13:49   #214

I am not sure how I feel about the design as of now but all I'm hoping for is that centre piece is strong and the backlight/digital display is reliable.
Old 29th May 2023, 14:14   #215
BHPian

One question that comes to mind is where the airbag will go. Having it deploy with a glass panel in the middle might send shards of glass towards the driver.
BrabarusMark is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 16:59   #216
BHPian

Old TATA lorries (1210 SE) had two-spoke steering wheels. This is kind of an evolution of that design!
lejhoom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 17:02   #217
BHPian

Am not sure if I like it or not. For me, 2 spoke always feel odd. Not sure if am old school or have lost touch with the so called new generation design aspects in cars
Old 29th May 2023, 17:03   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrabarusMark View Post
One question that comes to mind is where the airbag will go. Having it deploy with a glass panel in the middle might send shards of glass towards the driver.
And so - I think we can be sure that it won't be a glass panel .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarLover View Post
Am not sure if I like it or not. For me, 2 spoke always feel odd. Not sure if am old school or have lost touch with the so called new generation design aspects in cars
We tend to have very short term memories. Rewind just a little bit, or don't rewind much at all. Here are the cars with 2 spoke steering wheels around us -

Tata Sumo 1st/2nd Gen. It in fact looked like a miniaturized version of the ubiquitous 2 spoke Tata Bus/Truck steering wheel!
Tata Sierra
Tata Estate
Premier 118NE
HM Contessa
Maruti 800 all generations
Maruti Alto 1st Gen
Maruti EECO
Maruti Zen
Maruti Esteem
Maruti Omni

The list can go on longer, but this much is enough I think . The 2 spokes - never bothered anyone. In fact - most drove in style with 1 palm at the bottom center, where the 3rd spoke would be, and the left hand on the shifter.

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th May 2023 at 17:21.
Reinhard is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 19:49   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Waiting to see what the glossy centre part of the steering wheel is for. All I can see is a pad full of scratches a few months of usage later right in front of our eyes. Guess another money minting chance for accessories shoes to sell PPF.

Though I am worried about what looks like capacitive buttons around the toggle swirchws for functions like calls and cruise control ON/Resume/cancel. Tata can't even get the steering mounted buttons on their flagships to get to work properly, they better not put touch stuff on steering wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

However - I'm definitely sad to see the spoke-edge horn-pad buttons are gone again. The current Tata steering in Tiago-to-Nexon line-up - has excellent edge placed buttons for the horn. Rather handy in our conditions where split second honk is a life saver. It seems thats gone again - and we might end-up having to press down on this dark mysterious center panel again.
True. It was a relief in an age where the buttons were pushing the horn boss inwards and everyone was trying to follow the Euro design approach of hard to press horn only on the centre of the steering boss. Eventhough I am yet to see a TD car where the horn buttons used to work properly (either one side won't be heard or both sides 'feel' will be different), the spoke edge horn pad was godsend. A true Indian design touch.

Quote:

Tata Sumo 1st/2nd Gen. It in fact looked like a miniaturized version of the ubiquitous 2 spoke Tata Bus/Truck steering wheel!
Tata Sierra
Tata Estate
Premier 118NE
HM Contessa
Maruti 800 all generations
Maruti Alto 1st Gen
Maruti EECO
Maruti Zen
Maruti Esteem
Maruti Omni
Add to that the Toyota Qualis, the non-PS steering wheel of the Indica, Indigo and Innova. Chevrolet Spark too I believe.

Yep, short term memory indeed. In fact, it amused me that three spoke steering is being called as 'traditional, conventional', when I am yet to come to terms with the sporty three spoke steering wiping out traditional four spoke steering wheel for a decade and more.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 08:36   #220
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The latest set of images gives us a close look at the Nexon's 2-spoke steering wheel, first seen on the Tata Curvv concept.
Love the steering wheel! In the mass market, you have to stand out and that's what Tata is trying here.

That being said:

1. Worried about the safety implications of having a glass screen in front of you?

2. Just heard that they are facing some issues in testing. It may or may not see production.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 09:44   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Unless you do something "new" - you won't be noticed.
Ah but, is TaMo really doing something new? HM pulled off something similar ages ago...

PS: This post is in a lighter vein!

Tata Nexon Facelift launch in September 2023-images-4-17.jpeg
buzzy_boy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 10:09   #222
Senior - BHPian

Rest assured, if there is a demand for it, India's aftermarket business will easily sell you a small stick/clip on to turn your two into a three spoke steering wheel. Might cost a couple of hundred rupees.
Old 30th May 2023, 10:51   #223
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nexon's illuminated steering wheel logo in action

Yesterday we shared detailed images of the Tata Nexon facelift's new 2-spoke steering wheel. Today, we can show you the illuminated Tata logo on the steering wheel in action.

The upcoming Nexon is set to get major updates both inside and out. Spy images have revealed a revamped interior inspired by the Tata Curvv concept. The SUV features a larger touchscreen infotainment system and a 2-spoke steering wheel.

Name:  ezgif.comgifmaker 1.gif
Views: 1070
Size:  2.25 MB

As you can see, the leather-wrapped flat-bottom wheel has a rectangular hub section with a piano black finish. The central section is actually a screen that displays the 'Tata' logo when the ignition is switched on.

The Nexon facelift will also get a sharper-looking exterior with a split headlamp setup and an LED light bar. The rear is expected to feature slimmer LED tail lights. The SUV is rumoured to get Tata's new 1.2-litre turbo-petrol engine producing 122 BHP and 225 Nm. The 1.5-litre diesel engine is likely to be carried over as well.

Thanks to Sachin for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 30th May 2023 at 10:54.
TusharK is online now   (55) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 11:02   #224
BHPian

Quote:
A close look at Tata Nexon's new 2-spoke steering wheel
One thing that's peculiar about the new steering wheel is the absence of the Tata logo. This has led to speculations that the central section could be either a digital screen or might be hiding a backlit logo that would illuminate when the ignition is switched on
This is so cool. Didn't expect such changes on a facelift. I hope it is an actual digital screen rather than just an illuminated logo.
Old 30th May 2023, 11:31   #225
BHPian

My assumption - This screen in the steering will be used for assessing critical functions for which one has to approach the infotainment screen. For eg AC controls or request a voice command and you have the options on the steering screen to proceed ahead.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks