Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What if MUL was to launch a Wagon R with "CRDi"!! - Do you think it would work?
Will surely work 9 47.37%
Might work, can't say 4 21.05%
Will not work 4 21.05%
I'd rather buy the petrol version 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2004, 19:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

I think the Wagon R with a CRDi engine will be a good idea, as it is the car was never designed to go fast. With the torque of a CRDI, it will atleast get a better load capacity.

The diesel option will also help make it a "FE" car. More torque will also mean lesser gear changes.

The Wagon R is a good car and the CRDi option will surely make it better.

But i'm not sure if it will be a major success. So i've voted for "Might work, can't say".

PS: I know i would buy it over the petrol version.

Regards...
Shan2nu

Old 11th June 2004, 19:34   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow i dont like the idea of a diesel "Small Car". The Wagon R is fuel efficient. And i dont think it needs a diesel option. So i vote for "Will not work".
Old 11th June 2004, 22:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

i voted for it will work, coz many people are on the look out for a reliable diesel car apart from a palio which is tooo expensive

wagon r with it loads of space will surely capture the market
Old 11th June 2004, 22:04   #4
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Will not work.... but... under any circumstances id buy the petrol.

WagonR is as small as a zen... it won't live up to a diesel owner's expectations.

As I have heard there's no space in the engine bay to fit anything bigger.

As far as fast is concerned.... I somehow feel more comfortable in WagonR going fast .. compared to Alto.

And Maruti is one reason it will fail...... Just for instance Before finally goingin for Alto Vxi, we had decided for Zen Di .... but hell.. Maruti and its dealers ... said minimum delivery time 6 weeks.... and no Discount!! .. the car doesn't sell ... and maruti acts as if its the hottest selling car in India.
Old 11th June 2004, 22:17   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] but hell.. Maruti and its dealers ... said minimum delivery time 6 weeks.... and no Discount!! .. the car doesn't sell ... and maruti acts as if its the hottest selling car in India.
Thats due to the fact that Maruti isnt really interested in selling/marketing the diesel Zen. The Zen D makes a lot less money for Maruti than the petrol version, since the engine is supplied by Peugeot. Its done that merely to have a presence in the market, and to keep diesel-seeking customers within the Maruti family.

The waiting period is not because its a hot seller...its coz there was a time when they were made-to-order

GTO
Old 12th June 2004, 00:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ June 11 2004,18:04)]Somehow i dont like the idea of a diesel "Small Car". The Wagon R is fuel efficient. And i dont think it needs a diesel option. So i vote for "Will not work".
Exactly wat i was thinkking V12! absolutely there is no need for a diesel version when the petrol gives good fuel efficiency... .. frankly I love the Wagon R!
Old 12th June 2004, 01:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ June 11 2004,20:47)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] but hell.. Maruti and its dealers ... said minimum delivery time 6 weeks.... and no Discount!! .. the car doesn't sell ... and maruti acts as if its the hottest selling car in India.
Thats due to the fact that Maruti isnt really interested in selling/marketing the diesel Zen. The Zen D makes a lot less money for Maruti than the petrol version, since the engine is supplied by Peugeot. Its done that merely to have a presence in the market, and to keep diesel-seeking customers within the Maruti family.

The waiting period is not because its a hot seller...its coz there was a time when they were made-to-order

GTO

with gto on this one

but in hyd, the dealers act as if its the best selling in maruti range!!!!

heck even mudflaps are not free!!!!!!!!!

and dont find it much worth for rs 4.54 on road here

but in hyd the resale value is good along with the mileage, think that's the reason people go in for it
Old 12th June 2004, 01:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

For a Wagon R petrol version is just fine...no need for a crdi...Zen on the other hand could use one!
Old 12th June 2004, 03:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think the new plant coming up for diesels by Maruti with Fiat and Opel as JV partners will have the 1.3 crdi engine being manufactured which pushes in the region of 67-70 hp. If my guess is correct its for 4 vehicles. The Esteem, the Zen, the gypsy and the wagon-r. And maybe the ignis if it comes on a later date.

Honestly i think the Wagon-R can take on the likes of the indica diesel with that kinda engine. Seriously, the point of maruti launching the ignis is seeming pointless with time.

Revv
Old 12th June 2004, 06:36   #10
Max
BHPian

Noiseless environment was the most appealing thing when i driven Wagon-R. The engine of Wagon-R is very quite and small. If one will try to fit Diesel engine in it, i am sure it will produce lots of noise and will require more space then patrol engine which is very compact. Diesel engine will be very heavy and will require more service then patrol engine.

Wagon-R is very good small car and it easily makes upto 120-130kbph and has 15-18 kmpl average which in my opinion is very good average and it doesn't need diesel engine for that.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12th June 2004, 16:31   #11
SLK
Senior - BHPian

GTO you are right..... all I am saying is.. they act snobbish!
they don't give test drives. of their cars... (even if they do... then 2-3mins ... and they sell that piece also)

but WagonR with diesel, won't work.... *Its not a toughly built car... that can handle the roughness of diesel and its drivers.

Old 15th June 2004, 01:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

well as a question of plonking a large engine into the bay of a wagon r i dont doubt maruti's shoving capabilities one bit, they did a darn job with the TUD5 engine. i for one think it makes sense to have a diesel engine with each one of the cars. this for one would be the only tall-boy with a diesel engine, which would appeal to quite a few people. of course the wagon r is very fuel efficient with a petrol engine too, but people wouldn't mind one that sips diesel at all, considering that there is still a Rs. 10 price difference between the two fuels. of course car pricing would be a very important issue, but i trust maruti to pull it off.
Old 17th June 2004, 18:46   #13
BHPian

Since Maruti is going for Diesel Engine Plant, I am sure we will have a Wagon R CRDI ( with Fiats 1.3 lt Diesel Engine) *some time in 2006.

It will work , but i am sure there will be some modifcations done on the car

The Engine Bay in Wagon R can take in this engine as i feel the Panda dimensions or more less similar to that of Wagon R

Aadix Dealers in hyd *were going head over heels in Hyd to sell wagon R

I remember dealers giving around 40 K discount on wagon R at the begining of this year and some people in my office had bought the car.Right now too I think there is some thing like 24K worth of *add on's being given free, which includes free insurance and stereo ( a stock one though) and remote central locking.
Old 21st June 2004, 16:08   #14
BHPian

i dont know whether engine fits or not or will it able to hold the engine at all, but i hope if u take into acc that it fits and has no problem then surly it would be a better deal. there is a difference of 15rs in fuel cost and i am sure diesel might give better millage then petrol. if u save 1rs per km also after 1 lakh u can get all new underbody work done and engine bed and still have lot of saving as it will not cost more then 15000 to 20000 bucks.
if u concider zen di it is really hot in AP. u come accrose a zen, it will be a zen diesel in many cases. it gives 20 kms in city that is 1.25 per km and where as zen petrol gives 13 or 14 at a max in city so 2.85 per km. so no doubt it is better to have a diesel if u move over 45 to 50 kms per day. Indica is also a good car but ppl see and the first tought will be TAXI.
sorry guys for going a bit out of topic.

ravi
Old 5th July 2004, 18:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

well i vote for will work. with the crdi , the wagon will surely work , becoz it will be much more refined than the tata truck (oops) indica. the only - point cud be that once the wagon r gets the crdi engine , ppl will strght compare it to the indica and then it just mite fall apart.

the crdi will be quieter and more fe than the indica.

wut am i doing ...already comparing it to the indica.( see what i was saying)

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks