Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2005, 20:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
One more important point is that we should succumb to the pressure created by the dealers/brokers when they show the vehicle to us.

It is our right to reject or accept the vehicle. I had seen in few cases they will push us to a stage, where we will be hesitating to ask our price.

NEVER DO THIS MISTAKE. We are going to pay it from our packet. I had seen people hesitantly taking the vehicle as they do not know how to say "NO"

dealers have their way in pushing you to agree even if you dont really want to.we are the ones paying for it so be stern and dont take s**t from dealers.dont be content with what they throw on you be happy with what you want.

Rev
Old 11th May 2005, 12:19   #32
dev
BHPian

Guys,
I have enquired about Ikon's in BLR and it seems you are not getting less than 2.7lakhs for any 4-5yr old vehicle.
May be I have spent 15-20K more. But I won't think there is that much margin less comparing to Mumbai price.
Blr people should be aple to comment on this..
thank you.
Old 10th August 2006, 19:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

This is great thread, Team BHP is really wonderfull site for public.

Its very important we check everything before we buy the car, I heard and experienced (when I baught swift VXI ) many issues with brand new vehicles, when customer getting cheated for brand new vehicle its common used car dealers cheat customers for old cars. This is unfortunate but "cheating has become daily basis business" in this world!!

I always used professionals I know while buying used cars edven for my friends/relatives. Its must job for sure.
Old 17th August 2006, 15:55   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Honestly you should not buy a now defunct model which has no manufacturer backup in sales or service.

If you really have to, get it for less than 50 grand.

GTO
just about the right price in 2004...i know a friend of mine, who is the indian hand of lovato, he had a 1996 cielo AT with lovato kit, with a pretty decent ICE & sold it in 2003 for 35k. wouldn't go any higher.

on the other side of the coin, there is a person, who bought a 97 cielo from his friend for 2.15 lakhs only 1 month ago(July 2006). he feels he has been blessed abundantly....

now, that proves that it takes all kinds to make this world, isn't it ???

p.s.
Rules (Ten Commandments) of buying 2nd Hand cars
1. Never buy from friends (mostly gives both sides the heartaches)
2. Never buy from dealers
3. Never buy from DSAs (True Value, Ford Assured etc)
4. Never buy a car which is not in production or which company has sold out & scooted.
5. Never buy a car 'cos of its looks
6. Never buy a car which was owned by a company
7. Never buy a car which is repainted
8. Never buy a car whose windshield has been replaced. (Easy to detect)
9. Always buy directly from sellers who sign the T.O forms in ur presence
10. Always take ur trusted mechanic's opinion before committing.

cheers
p.p.s always consult a bhpian about the decision u r going to take. u will never regret it.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 17th August 2006 at 16:01.
Old 17th August 2006, 16:08   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
8. Never buy a car whose windshield has been replaced. (Easy to detect)
This one is a strange statement. I have changed windshield on both my cars, (1) Somebody dropped a piece of construction material on my Santro windshield and cracked it. (2) Our driver put dripping wet cloth on the windshield to clean while my black Baleno was locked and parked in real hot afternoon sun. It was hell hot inside, and the windshield went kaput.

Now, why should that reduce the resale value?
Old 17th August 2006, 16:15   #36
BHPian

@Esteem_Lover

Can you elaborate on 6th and 8th commandment, please? I am not getting the actual reason!
Old 17th August 2006, 16:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
This one is a strange statement. I have changed windshield on both my cars, (1) Somebody dropped a piece of construction material on my Santro windshield and cracked it. (2) Our driver put dripping wet cloth on the windshield to clean while my black Baleno was locked and parked in real hot afternoon sun. It was hell hot inside, and the windshield went kaput.

Now, why should that reduce the resale value?
how can a buyer be sure that was how the windshield was broken ???? also, the replacements are not 100% the same as the originals.

@yeis
Cars owned by companies are used extensively & maintained poorly in the final year of ownership. these cars are supposedly sold thru tenders to individuals, whereas most of them are bought by dealers for a pittance ( as per the depreciation claimed in I.T) and sold to unwitting customers.
Old 17th August 2006, 16:36   #38
BHPian

I was in the impression that cars owned by companies are better as they are driven less and maintained better. :(

Your 8th commandment is for extra care. Play Extreme Safe!
Old 17th August 2006, 16:38   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
how can a buyer be sure that was how the windshield was broken ????
How does it matter? If it was part of a bigger accident, there will be telltale signs of other damages. Glass can break for simple reasons, you can't hold it against the entire car.

If a buyer uses this reason during negotiation to lower the price, I will walk out the deal, I ain't selling it to him.

Quote:
also, the replacements are not 100% the same as the originals.
Can you back this up with some data?
Old 17th August 2006, 16:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How does it matter? If it was part of a bigger accident, there will be telltale signs of other damages. Glass can break for simple reasons, you can't hold it against the entire car.

If a buyer uses this reason during negotiation to lower the price, I will walk out the deal, I ain't selling it to him.

Can you back this up with some data?
i do not have data to back that...i only know what i heard from my trusted professionals in this trade... a company fitted windshield is more valuable than the one that was replaced....
Quote:
samurai, i know how u feel...i would love to buy a car from u sometime
, with or without windshield, but the point is when u do not know the person whom u r buying from & when u see a replaced windshield, u would want to be doubly sure. just check the beading on the windshield, there will be tell tale signs of the refixing, which is not there in a company fitted one.
Old 17th August 2006, 16:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
I was in the impression that cars owned by companies are better as they are driven less and maintained better. :(

Your 8th commandment is for extra care. Play Extreme Safe!
they are handled by drivers, used for n reasons & least amount of money is spent on maintenance, since they will be selling the car right at the moment when the major repairs are to come up.
Old 17th August 2006, 17:07   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i do not have data to back that...i only know what i heard from my trusted professionals in this trade... a company fitted windshield is more valuable than the one that was replaced....
You still haven't answered my question. How does it matter? Are you saying I should duck while driving, may be the windshield will come lose and hit my face. If you are buying a 5 year old car which has a one year old windshield, I guess you will still prefer a 5 year old windshield over it.

Anyway, that is your preference, I can't help it. Recently one potential renter rejected my apartment saying he wanted the apartment number to have only 2,3,5,8 or something like that. Mine had a 4. People have their unique needs...
Old 17th August 2006, 17:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You still haven't answered my question. How does it matter? Are you saying I should duck while driving, may be the windshield will come lose and hit my face. If you are buying a 5 year old car which has a one year old windshield, I guess you will still prefer a 5 year old windshield over it.

Anyway, that is your preference, I can't help it.
Quote:
Recently one potential renter rejected my apartment saying he wanted the apartment number to have only 2,3,5,8 or something like that. Mine had a 4. People have their unique needs...
thats numerology or something like that...but this is preference with practical reasoning.
Old 17th August 2006, 17:25   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
thats numerology or something like that...but this is preference with practical reasoning.
You are yet to explain the practical reasoning. How does the replaced windshield reduce the value in a practical sense? Does it start leaking in rain, will there be draft? I have two cars with replaced windshields, I'd like know how it is going to affect me as a driver.

But if you are saying you prefer original glass for the sake of it, how is it different from numerology?
Old 17th August 2006, 17:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are yet to explain the practical reasoning. How does the replaced windshield reduce the value in a practical sense? Does it start leaking in rain, will there be draft? I have two cars with replaced windshields, I'd like know how it is going to affect me as a driver.

But if you are saying you prefer original glass for the sake of it, how is it different from numerology?
i think u forgot to read my previous post. i dont think there is any necessity for any sarcasm here. i said i understand ur feelings, since u have replaced the windshields in 2 of your cars. but the point here is a replaced windshield means the car is going to take that much longer to sell. also it means that either it was involved in an accident (Which means there are other things to look out for also) or it has been handled quite casually for the windshield to break so soon.

iam pretty sure, there is not going to be any draft(whatever that means) nor are u going to have a leaking windshield in the rain....ha ha ha lmao

as a driver, it will not affect u in any manner whatsoever, so u can be rest assured on that, but as a buyer, i would be put off, looking at that.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks