Team-BHP - To all who think Honda is cheap to maintain
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   To all who think Honda is cheap to maintain (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2627-all-who-think-honda-cheap-maintain.html)

It started last sunday, my bro was taking the car out of the drive way and i was standing there fidlling with the RD carbs, his beloved Honda 1.3 making funny clanking noise.

Stopped the car opened the hood and everything seemed ok till AC kicked in and the banging sound again, anyway the car was due for the service and bro had booked a slot for thursday.

Thursday the Honda guy comes picks up the car (have to appreciate the customer service), afternoon bro gets a call from them saying AC clutch n bearing conked, will need repair and approx 30k, bro calls me and i suggest check the price for the new comp unit, and it comes out to be 33K plus 2 K labour, they have promised to deliver by evening today and will keep you updated after that.

AC compressor failing for a 30k kms car, driven mostly within the city with say 60% time (max) with AC running, its not covered under warranty now, coz the car is 3 yr old

Good news, again the car repair will be covered by the company.. phew

Maybe a freak bad luck but still bloody expensive for a midsizer.

That sucks. But consider yourself lucky. Until very recently, new compressors for the City and Lancer hovered around the 60K mark.

I myself am compressor-jinxed. A Lancer in the family had the compressor fail within 2 years - 20000 kms. My own Esteem VX had a compressor fail in the 9th month of ownership. Luckily both were replaced under warranty. Prices at that time were 19000 for the Esteem compressor and 60000 odd for the Lancers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Good news, again the car repair will be covered by the company.. phew

I didnt quite understand. Is honda taking care of the bill in goodwill, or do you have to shell out the dough?

GTO

its a company maintained car (bros company), so will be refunded

yup indian ac compressors had a very bad repute early, i remember my old esteem which was bought in 96 conked off at 10k kms, some bloody clutch leak, that time it costed 10k for repair and that too 2 months time to repair lol, dealer send it to Subros factory at Delhi from kerala, repaired it, put it back and again conked in 1 weeks time.. had to pick a fight to get it fixed free.. sold the car and week later new owner comes n complains, i handed over all the bills n letters to him n wished him luck..

i really dont know, how these manufacturers get away with this, even if u go for extended warranty cover they will cover engine n gearbox n wont include AC comp, which actually is supposed to last at least half a cars life :P

final bill standing, 30k for compressor 1.5k for clutch assembly (thought it came with the comp unit), 1.8 labour, problem rectified and old unit given back to us.

Rest of the service costed 4k including a 500 Rs polish job.

Should be trouble free for next 3 months (usually my bro gives it for service every 3 months) and yeah this time around he might sell it n get an upgrade lol

My personal favourite Ford Endavour, sluggish but man i like these big beasts

Touch-wood... I had a 800 that did... 2.6Lakhs without any a/c problem. Then the same compressor was put into the next 800 which again did 60K.

I hope nothing happens to WagonRs compressor, its not in warranty. And I plan to run it into Lakhs of Kms.. currently 42K.