Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2023, 07:38   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2023 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I was looking for a replacement for my Ford Aspire 1.5 AT. Test drove the City AT, the damn thing doesn't move at all on highways! It was a torture to make an overtaking manoeuvre. My Aspire will smoke this damn thing. I took a test drive of Virtus 1.5 and that thing moves, only let down is the steering feedback when compared to Ford!!! City is only for the sedate driver, please don't buy if you are a spirited driver.
City with its CVT was always going to feel lazy at highway speeds. The manual though would have felt like a firecracker. The hybrid also gives strong performance at all speeds, with its diesel like 250Nm torque.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 09:38   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
City is only for the sedate driver, please don't buy if you are a spirited driver.
Was this the case even with sport mode and paddle shifters?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 12:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
I was looking for a replacement for my Ford Aspire 1.5 AT. Test drove the City AT, the damn thing doesn't move at all on highways! It was a torture to make an overtaking manoeuvre. My Aspire will smoke this damn thing. I took a test drive of Virtus 1.5 and that thing moves, only let down is the steering feedback when compared to Ford!!! City is only for the sedate driver, please don't buy if you are a spirited driver.
If you are looking for a driver's car and that you have already driven a Ford, then you are going to be disappointed with everything else . You have to make peace with the next best thing.

I bought a City last year. What had me to drop Slavia/Virtus was it's AC performance. It was simply not adequate for Chennai climate. There's no point in getting a car that drives well but doesn't allow the driver to drive peacefully. So I went for City. I think that AC issue is still not sorted out with Slavia/Virtus twins.

And as you said, you cannot have power on demand with City. It's going to frustrate you always. And there is too much bounciness for rear seat passengers to be comfortable on long drives.
gopalnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 12:16   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Was this the case even with sport mode and paddle shifters?
Sadly yep, there is no point using sport mode or paddle shifters. I don't know what kind of a driver you are, so test for yourself. I can only PM you the kind of driver I'm!! I use Radarbot extensively and remember by heart all the speed cameras in a 400 km stretch I drive usually! For me the only option is Virtus/Slavia, but it's not worth double the price I paid for Aspire 1.5 AT even after factoring in inflation. If the Aspire had a better build quality like first gen Figo or Global Fiesta, I would have used it for 15 years.

But for the sedate driver the City is more than enough and the steering is better than Virtus/Slavia. I'm not a fan of light coloured interiors, so I can't comment on that aspect. City is not having the build quality of VAG twins.
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 13:15   #50
BHPian

IMO, Honda has nailed the facelift. It's an absolute looker now!. Some lowering springs and 17 inch wheels would make it look absolutely sexy!
Did a quick render, very quick one so its not very neat. 😁
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-honda-city-fl.jpg  

RunSam is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 14:25   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The manual though would have felt like a firecracker.
If the driver is coming from a torquey diesel, then it would be difficult to be satisfied by City Manual. By the nature, the 1.5 NA is a high revving motor. The power band is up high and you really have wring its throttle to extract that. Which could be quiet fun to do on open highways.

However if it's instant power on tap you are looking for may not have any better option than Virtus or Slavia 1.5.

And no car in that price bracket have handling or steering as good as Aspire. The closest could, in terms of handling, steering and power combo would be the VW twins

Last edited by Sid13 : 11th March 2023 at 14:47.
Sid13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 18:55   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
All I want to say is please avoid commenting like uncles.
As a frequent victim of uncle comments I wholeheartedly endorse this
Old 12th March 2023, 20:48   #53
BHPian

I think Honda have done a very very respectable job overall with the facelift. There is no question that the ADAS offering is a substantial trump card over the VAG twins. Especially the 1.5 GT variants.

In fact, aside from the DSG and the ECO mode on the VAG 1.5, they look positively devoid of kit vs the ZX and possibly even the VX trim of the Honda. Ofcourse, the CVT isn't a DSG - that's pointless to compare, but like someone here said, it isn't as bad either.

However having said that, there are a few sore standouts for the ZX - mainly:
1. Tyres - they're quite anemic on the stock offerings.
2. NVH - I'm not sure if this has improved, but the pre-facelift literally had jarring NVH. Cabin insulation felt flimsy with a lot of tyre noise coming through the cabin at higher speeds. In fact I was surprised to even hear the engine roaring at higher speeds and revs. Something I have never experienced in any City before this. This was one of the single most let down with the newer build - felt almost like Honda cut one corner too many in insulating the cabin.
3. Lack of power adjustments on the front seats! IMHO - this is a standout omission on the top trim. Even the eHEV at 24L on road missing out on this is sore!
4. Why couldn't they offer the electric parking brake on the ZX CVT?
5. The new Headunit looks like an upgrade - but just how much improved is it vs the older unit? especially in sunlight? The angle at which it was integrated into the dashboard was really poor on the pre-facelift - barely legible in our bright sunny conditions.
Old 13th March 2023, 11:37   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
Now, this is what an unbiased review by team-bhp can achieve:
now I can conclude that calling this a facelift is in itself a gimmick, just to retain some interest in the oldest model when competitors are racing ahead with their innovations and efforts.

They will claim that they don’t believe in giving gimmicky features like Ventilated Seats, 360 degree camera and a good infotainment system. These are actually very useful to many.

The mid size SUV segment is just flourishing and because of good reasons that the manufacturers are offering many segment first features.

What’s the need for media drives when all they drive is the same car with some modified bumpers and a wireless charger added to it. The ADAS was always available in hybrid and has been reviewed earlier.

But now at least ADAS is accessible to cheaper versions of the City, my friend! and Honda's 1.5 L ICE reliability is second to none, in my opinion.
gireesh4manu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 11:44   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
This is how the car looked after 7 years of ownership and about 1.1L Kms and on it's last day with us.Attachment 2427303
Not too bad, eh?
Plot twist: The car was red when it was purchased

Jokes aside, IMO the paint quality has come down significantly in recent years. My 2012 Brio braves the elements much better than my 2022 City, which already has a lot of white spots from a highway drive. Not sure what they are (maybe limestone spots), but they'll need a polish/detailing to be removed.
Old 14th March 2023, 16:31   #56
BHPian

I visited Deccan Honda yesterday for my routine car service (2013 Honda city Gen 3 with 120K ODO). The car was undergoing exterior polishing so went a head to check out the 2023 city.

- Space inside clearly a welcome move
- Material Quality: I felt at par to my city
- Fit and Finesse: Does not feel to be a better built vehicle. Felt same in material quality and build
- Sunroof: Check
- Padding on doors: nicely done to give a premium feel
- Small screen- not done in current time

Overall does not felt a worthy upgrade to my old city, which still running stock (barring wear and tear items/consumables). Total Service cost- 5K INR. I would wait for the new SUV, i am for sure a Honda Fan.
UD17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 17:32   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSam View Post
IMO, Honda has nailed the facelift. It's an absolute looker now!. Some lowering springs and 17 inch wheels would make it look absolutely sexy!
Did a quick render, very quick one so its not very neat. ��
With those BBS-ey wheels, looks really similar to a G20 and in this case, to my Bimmer running on BBS wheels.

Original:
2023 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-dsc_7640_original.jpeg

And this:
2023 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-honda-city-fl.jpg

Let me do some comparisons:
  • Tail lamps. The protruding tail/brake lamp looks like an aftermarket version.
  • The line that starts from the front fender and ends at the bottom of the rear door/wheel. Also the line that runs along the fuel lid cap though more pronounced in the City.
  • Overall rear bumper design.
  • Spoiler.
  • ORVM design (blatant) and door handles (similar).
  • Wheel arches (owing to very similar rear door designs). The hofmeister kink is almost there too!
  • Heck, even the fuel lid is also very similar, though you can't see it on the Bimmer as it is on the other side.

I think Honda have done what an unprepared student does on the day of exam - just taken a shortcut.

Last edited by HighRevving : 14th March 2023 at 17:43.
HighRevving is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 11:27   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hybrid and Petrol CVT mileage comparison.

Old 21st March 2023, 11:59   #59
BHPian

That's cause the Hybrid gets an electric parking brake liberating space or the charging pad:

Thanks for the great review and observations. As always, they are on point and really helpful.

Considering that on Team-BHP we hold to the highest standards of everything whether it be content or the grammar or language and to ensure the same just wanted to highlight that there is a typo in the quoted line from the original post. It should be "That's cause the Hybrid gets an electric parking brake liberating space for the charging pad" the "or" needs to be replaced with "for".
Old 21st March 2023, 15:28   #60
BHPian

Hearing City's ADAS is with only Camera focus. So how does it behave in poor light? Is it still as good as with Radars? anyone has first hand experience?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks