Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2023, 11:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

2023 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

The 2023 Honda City Facelift has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 11.49 - 20.39 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

This report has been jointly compiled with Eddy. Thanks to him for the expert observations and photography!

Since the Honda City has already been reviewed by Team-BHP, this report will only focus on changes made to the 2023 facelift. To read the full review, click here. Also, read the full official review of the Honda City Hybrid here.

Introduction

Honda launched the 5th-gen City back in July 2020. The City sedan, as everyone knows, has been Honda's bread-and-butter model in India. It is essentially the car that has kept Honda's cash register ticking for more than 20 years. Over the years, the car grew in size to such an extent that it made even the Civic redundant.

In 2022, Honda introduced a proper hybrid powertrain in the City, making it the first hybrid car in the lower segments of the market. The strong hybrid powertrains were always reserved for more premium offerings like the Accord and Camry before Honda introduced the system in the City. The hybrid got a lukewarm response thanks to only one variant being available and that too in the top-spec trim level. The hybrid pushed up the cost, but Honda figured that to differentiate the hybrid from the regular car, it needed another USP and as a result, included ADAS in the list of features. With that, the price was close to Rs. 20 lakhs (ex-showroom) making it a tough car to sell. On top of that, the diesel offered excellent fuel efficiency, which meant the running costs of the Hybrid were almost the same as the diesel, negating any savings over the long run.

For 2023, Honda has given some updates to the City. With the looming RDE norms, the company has axed the 1.5L i-DTec motor. This was imminent as it had already stopped using the diesel engine in the Amaze and Jazz. Honda has also rejigged the variants. The Hybrid is now offered in 2 variants - V with some features missing and the top-spec ZX. The other powertrain on offer is the ubiquitous 1.5L naturally aspirated petrol i-VTec unit which comes with a 6-speed MT and 7-step CVT. There are 4 variants for the non-hybrid MT - SV, V, VX and ZX whereas the CVT has just the top 3 variants. Both versions of the City are BS6 RDE compliant. They can run on E5 fuel (95% unleaded petrol & 5% ethanol) and are E20 material compatible.

The City is available in a choice of 6 colours - Obsidian Blue Pearl (new), Radiant Red Metallic, Platinum White Pearl, Modern Steel Metallic, Lunar Silver Metallic and Golden Brown Metallic. The overall length of the car has been increased by 34 mm to 4,583 mm. This makes the latest City the longest sedan in its segment.

On the inside, Honda introduced ambient lighting in the front door handles and front door pockets. The City also gets an upgraded infotainment system that features wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play. There is a wireless smartphone charger as well. What's more interesting is that now, the non-hybrid version, including the MT variants, gets ADAS while the Hybrid gets some additional ADAS features. Some of the noteworthy features include Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS), Adaptive Cruise Control with Low Speed Follow (a new Introduction in City e:HEV), Road Departure Mitigation System, Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS), Lead Car Departure Notification System (new) and Auto High-Beam.

The City comes with a 3-year / unlimited km standard warranty, which is extendable up to 5 years and Anytime Warranty up to 10 years from the date of car purchase. The warranty available on Lithium-ion battery of the Hybrid is 8 years / 1,60,000 km.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th March 2023 at 11:01.
Vid6639 is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 11:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

2023 Honda City Facelift Exterior Review

At the front, there is a new radiator grille and a redesigned bumper:

At the rear there is a new bumper with a larger faux diffuser which houses the reflectors:

The sides don't see any change other than the redesigned alloy wheels:

From the rear 3/4th angle, the City looks a lot sportier with the new diffuser. It's very RS:

Gone is the massive chrome strip that ran the length of the radiator grille. The car now gets a slimmer chrome strip with a larger honeycomb mesh section below. Hybrid variants get a blue hue around the "H" logo:

Bumper features a larger air dam with a honeycomb mesh grille and reworked foglamp housing. Front lip gets faux carbon-fibre detailing and has two sharp protruding fangs that are easy to knick on kerbs - reminds us of the old Jetta:

16-inch, dual-tone alloy wheels have been redesigned. The City still remains under-tyred with 185/55 section rubber:

New diffuser gets carbon-fibre detailing and extends the protrudes outwards, extending the car's length. Reflectors are now horizontally oriented:

Regular City's front end looks identical to the Hybrid except for the missing blue hue around the logo:

Petrol version also gets a spoiler on the boot lid:

Last edited by Aditya : 9th March 2023 at 11:01.
Vid6639 is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 11:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

2023 Honda City Facelift Interior Review

Honda's ADAS suite of systems are controlled through the MID. The system has been upgraded and the adaptive cruise control now has low speed follow as well as lead car departure notification system:

For some strange reason, the physical shortcut button for the Honda sensing system has been deleted. The pre-facelift hybrid had it (reference image):

Hybrid gets an external acoustic system that emits a whine to warn people of the vehicle approaching when it's in EV mode:

Camera for the Honda sensing system with the IR sensors:

Updated infotainment system now has wireless android auto and car play, but is still not the slickest to use. Leaves a lot to be desired:

Reverse camera is of low resolution. Nothing to write home about:

There is also a wide-angle view option...

...as well as a top down view for tight parking:

Honda has included a wireless charger, but it slots in over the front cup holders. You have to choose between wireless charging or keeping your coffee:

The charging pad is detachable:

The charging pad also gets its power from the 12V DC port which means the wire is visible:

The Hybrid too gets a wireless charger, but it's located just ahead of the center armrest:

That's cause the Hybrid gets an electric parking brake liberating space or the charging pad:

Disclaimer: Honda invited Team-BHP for the City Facelift test-drive. They covered all the travel expenses for this driving event.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th March 2023 at 11:02.
Vid6639 is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 11:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2023 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th March 2023 at 11:03.
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 11:17   #5
BHPian

I have mentioned only the differences between the V, VX and ZX variants so our readers can make an informed decision. All the common features between the variants have been left out.

Source: Honda City Brochure(attached)

2023 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-diff.jpg
Honda City 2023.pdf
true_sedan is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 12:03   #6
BHPian

As the owner of the pre-facelift 5th gen city, I’m secretly happy that I’m not missing out on a lot. Personally, I’d like to retrofit the auto rain sensing wipers but I have a feeling it might not be feasible. Also, I’d really like to install that faux carbon fibre rear diffuser but I guess it won’t be compatible with the pre-facelift bumper. However, if anyone manages to do it, shut up and take my money.
shibulijack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 12:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
As the owner of the pre-facelift 5th gen city, I’m secretly happy that I’m not missing out on a lot. Personally, I’d like to retrofit the auto rain sensing wipers but I have a feeling it might not be feasible. Also, I’d really like to install that faux carbon fibre rear diffuser but I guess it won’t be compatible with the pre-facelift bumper. However, if anyone manages to do it, shut up and take my money.
Exactly! I bought the pre-faclift in Dec'22 and glad that I am not missing out on the V trim plus a lot of money saved . However, my Wishlist is to switch the extra chrome on the front to the facelift version if possible.
Old 9th March 2023, 12:24   #8
BHPian

Those two sharp protruding fangs in front looks like bullhorn, I hope they are not too sharp to hurt kids playing around the vehicle.
Old 9th March 2023, 12:31   #9
BHPian

The highlight for me is the EPB with Auto Hold. One of those features, you cannot do without once you start using.
iamitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 12:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Confirmation that the hybrid engine is also E20 material compliant. At the same time, they could have tuned to engine for E10 already, instead of E5. All new Marutis are optimised for E10 by default, and it is anyway the minimum blend we are getting today.

Nonetheless, City continues to be a smart pick for the casual buyer with its combination of space, pleasing cabin, efficient engine and top notch reliability at a decent price.

The overpriced V hybrid is a huge missed opportunity. They are demanding excessive premium, as if it is a deliberate move to make the ZX hybrid seem more VFM.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 12:46   #11
RYP
BHPian

The City still remains the most no-nonsense sedan of choice for any buyer. There's no DSG to worry about, no Turbo charger to deal with & good quality interiors for the price. The reliable rev-happy NA 1.5L i-vtec is a gem of a motor with decent fuel efficiency too. ADAS as standard is a welcome move, though Indian roads being ready for it is a different question. But better to have ADAS than not to have for the meagre premium. The hybrid is the odd man out here, its overpriced and doesn't make financial sense unless you drive tons of kilometers a month (1-2% buyers). Overall the City petrol is the most VFM car out there below 20L OTR in India. Would gladly buy it over any CSUVs in the same price range
RYP is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 12:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Exactly! I bought the pre-faclift in Dec'22 and glad that I am not missing out on the V trim plus a lot of money saved . However, my Wishlist is to switch the extra chrome on the front to the facelift version if possible.
Last week my friend took delivery of 2022 make V manual for ~ 12.8 with some freebies. That is a good deal according to me.
Latheesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 13:10   #13
BHPian

Hi, it may not be relevant to this thread but I request someone, who have knowledge & information, share what is the cost of production (I think ex-factory price) of Honda City vs Sonet or Venue or Nexon (sub 4 metre SUVs under 1.5 litre engine).

I may be wrong, but I feel that cost of production of City is almost similar to Sonet or Venue or Nexon. I just want to understand why Honda is unable to give certain features i.e. ventilated & electric seat or soft touch material dashboard or better quality infotainment system & rear camera or better glass quality for windows and front & rear windscreen
GoBabyGo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 13:51   #14
BHPian

Booked the face-lift city V CVT in obsidian blue for my sister, expecting delivery next week.

Didn't get any exchange bonus or discounts (except for a ₹5000 corporate discount), they didn't even agree to throw in the basic accessories kit or even the mats for that matter

Last edited by BoJack : 9th March 2023 at 14:01.
BoJack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 14:28   #15
BHPian

Now, this is what an unbiased review by team-bhp can achieve:
now I can conclude that calling this a facelift is in itself a gimmick, just to retain some interest in the oldest model when competitors are racing ahead with their innovations and efforts.

They will claim that they don’t believe in giving gimmicky features like Ventilated Seats, 360 degree camera and a good infotainment system. These are actually very useful to many.

The mid size SUV segment is just flourishing and because of good reasons that the manufacturers are offering many segment first features.

What’s the need for media drives when all they drive is the same car with some modified bumpers and a wireless charger added to it. The ADAS was always available in hybrid and has been reviewed earlier.
CArspeed is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed