Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2007, 10:54   #1
BANNED

Verna worth the price ?

IS verna worth the price Hyundai is asking for it ?I personally feel that the car is over rated and not that cheap , because for 1 lakh more I find the elantra a much better bargain and also the magnum at 1.5 lakhs more makes a much more lot of sense to buy . Also I do not see that much of sales happening .Is the verna worth thinking of ?
Old 15th July 2007, 11:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have to agree with you that the Verna CRDI is overpriced for indian economy. But its a new model and the engine is top notch and very efficient. Perhaps they will bring down the prices after localization of parts.
Old 15th July 2007, 12:17   #3
BHPian

For me also both verna and fiesta are a bit overpriced, verna comparitively the better (for that powerful engine) considering the current auto scene in india with logan and indigo providing dicor technology at a much lower price bracket. Also hyundai is recently having some quality issues. so for a normal user cheaper counterparts seems to be good. also i think its a marketing strategy (same as in baleno, ford ikon and ford fusion) to intrduce at a higher price and as accent and ford ikon may be phased out completely in near future and prices for both fiesta and verna will come down.
Old 16th July 2007, 03:09   #4

HAI

In doha qatar the hyundai verna (its the 2007 accent here in doha) is priced at Qrs. 47000 i.e. equal to Rs.564000 with 1.6 L Engine, Alloy Wheels, dual airbags, ABS with EBD, Central Locking, Keyless entry, sun roof, Power windows, Power side mirrors, Mp3 Player etc with 3 years or 60000 Km(which ever comes first) warranty
Old 16th July 2007, 08:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

Verna is quite overpriced.

However, same is the case with the fiesta. Both the manufacturers are commanding a premium for their diesel vehicles.

If you can stretch your budget for the Magnum, do that. But i wont recommend elantra cause production is going to stop, and the resale value is bound to take a beating.
Old 16th July 2007, 11:39   #6
BHPian

Verna has probably one of the best diesel engines India has ever seen, I think it is worth the price, Fiesta yes may be it is overpriced. As far as Elantra goes it is into a liquidation sale so you see these kind of prices, I think the new Elantra will come close to the Magnum price and then we would have a new demarkation in segments,

1. Indigo/Logan 5.5-6.5 lakhs
2. Fiesta/Verna/Aveo (Diesel soon to be launched) : 7.5 - 8.5 lakhs
3. Magnum/Elantra/Octavia Rider : 10-12 lakhs
Old 16th July 2007, 12:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes all Diesel cars selling nowadays ( verna, fiesta & swift ), IMO all are overpriced by 10 - 15 %. This is the premiuim car companies demand when diesel sells.

But overall I would say Verna has a far better engine in all the competetion, Skoda makes 90 BHP, Verna Makes 110 BHP - now you decide which will be more exciting to drive
Old 16th July 2007, 12:06   #8
BHPian

The over pricing of diesel cars in india owes to high demand for diesel cars. Roughly calculate savings from a diesel vehile over its petrol counterpart. Its not that huge if you consider initial investment for a diesel and maintenance thereafter.

Maintenance may be less for new gen crdi engines, but how durable they are ? It should be answered by time. Many people though sporadic has reported engine failures and early overhauling of engine. It is exorbitant to do it.

Another point is the high resale value for diesel. This may crumble in the near future. As more people do overhauling after 100,000 kms. The smart people for the time being can fetch good money for their 50,000 + diesel crdi. The second hand owners will have a different experience with heavy investment for maintenance after paying hefty sums.( as these are of very good resale value)

Bills are very huge for servicing and maintenance when compared to petrol. So it is good to stick on with petrol than going for hyundais , fords etc.

But tata offers a different league of service as they offer an overhauled diesel engine for 30,000. Heard it from taxi walas, dont know whether the same is offered to indgo dicor owners as well.
Old 16th July 2007, 12:44   #9
VMG
BHPian

How about Cedia for 9lacs on road price in chennai. It has great looks, power and FE also. If we can bargin better it may come down futhre also.
Old 16th July 2007, 12:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishaj View Post
HAI

In doha qatar the hyundai verna (its the 2007 accent here in doha) is priced at Qrs. 47000 i.e. equal to Rs.564000 with 1.6 L Engine, Alloy Wheels, dual airbags, ABS with EBD, Central Locking, Keyless entry, sun roof, Power windows, Power side mirrors, Mp3 Player etc with 3 years or 60000 Km(which ever comes first) warranty
Nice but whats the Excise Duty they pay there? And Sales Tax + Additional Sales Tax?

Considering all those additional costs, I dont think the 1.6 petrol is overpriced at all here.

HOWEVER, both the Petrol and the Diesel and overpriced when you consider the fact that these are replacements for the Accent and should therefore have fallen into the same priceband with perhaps a small premium.

All our C-Segmenters went into D-minus with their upgrades. The whole bloody lot of them.
Old 16th July 2007, 18:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Verna has probably one of the best diesel engines India has ever seen, I think it is worth the price, Fiesta yes may be it is overpriced. As far as Elantra goes it is into a liquidation sale so you see these kind of prices, I think the new Elantra will come close to the Magnum price and then we would have a new demarkation in segments,

1. Indigo/Logan 5.5-6.5 lakhs
2. Fiesta/Verna/Aveo (Diesel soon to be launched) : 7.5 - 8.5 lakhs
3. Magnum/Elantra/Octavia Rider : 10-12 lakhs

SX4 diesel will also be thr right at the second slot
Old 16th July 2007, 22:01   #12
BHPian

Verna would have been more worthy of it has provided airbags and alloy wheels. i hate the attitute of the manufactures who doesnt even provide an option for these features while they provide them as default abroad.

i dont understand why such a bad treatment for car buyers here.
Old 16th July 2007, 22:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
Verna would have been more worthy of it has provided airbags and alloy wheels. i hate the attitute of the manufactures who doesnt even provide an option for these features while they provide them as default abroad.

i dont understand why such a bad treatment for car buyers here.

Bcoz we are Indians we got the mentality that carefree attitude regarding Safety whereas in Abroad people only buy cars which has passed the crash test. Indian government aint bothered about aam janta so why give them Airbags and other safety devices ??
Old 16th July 2007, 22:53   #14

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

verna is quite overpriced if you compare it to its competitors.imo,it doesnt have a good usp and the other cars manage to do whatever the verna does,better.fiesta is a better drivers car,aveo is a better chauffer driven car.honda city still rules when it comes to f.e.
the diesel is too overpriced and i would rather buy the cedia instead.not to forgt the elantra and magnum are better cars and charge a slight premium which is okay.
the verna doesnt have any features which make you want to go "wow" as in the case of the sx4.
it really doesnt have that desirability quotient to it.and i dont see too many petrol vernas on the road.
Old 16th July 2007, 23:39   #15
BHPian

Thats right. Verna sales is mostly Crdi ones. The hitch is that there is nothing to regulate the AUTO market like TRAI for mobiles so that they make airbags and some features mandatory for certain models or segments. Car manufactures are taking this for granted and making most out of it. Yes, when it comes to features, verna is way behind in porviding them. Still they have raised the price of Crdi version by 9k this month. And no additional features. can some one stop this daylight robbery!!!
I just got 6k worth discounts for Verna, not much.

Most Viewed