Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2007, 19:28   #16
BANNED

MY personal take with regard to fiesta would be that it comparitavely looks better and plus ,i somehow get the feeling that the car is put together much better than the verna
Old 17th July 2007, 19:34   #17

I think that its wiser to shell out some more money and go for the Magnum, there is no beating that engine!!
Old 17th July 2007, 20:14   #18
BHPian

its the same engine from the same Italian manufacturer ...
Old 18th July 2007, 07:56   #19
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
The over pricing of diesel cars in india owes to high demand for diesel cars. Roughly calculate savings from a diesel vehile over its petrol counterpart. Its not that huge if you consider initial investment for a diesel and maintenance thereafter.
Agreed. Diesels, when taking into account the cost of operation over the life of the automobile, make sense for taxi/tour/copr. transport types.

For personal transport in cities-suburban areas etc, petrol vehicles are not that expensive w.r.t. diesels, unless you put on really high mileage. Chances are most people sell off their diesel cars before or just at the time they can actually start 'recovering' the premium they paid for diesel. One also has to suffer somewhat higher NVH of diesels.

Still, two reasons to get diesel over their gas counterpart might be :

1. Performance i.e. Verna Diesel.
2. Residual value, when you eventually do sell the vehicle.

I feel that all consumers should sit down and actually calculate the actual saving they will make with a diesel over a petrol, given the cost per kilomoeter and the projected annual mileage, and how long the vehicle must be operated to have tangible financial benefits.

Most would settle for petrol engined variants.

Old 18th July 2007, 09:44   #20
BHPian

Verna diesel is a real good one and I'm impressed with the crdi engine..compared to fiesta , Verna reflects a completely new look........no rigidly defined. Drive feel is also better. on the other hand fiesta feels quite bulky and the interior is not pleasing w r t Verna. Also there are issues regd service with ford.
Old 18th July 2007, 11:16   #21
BHPian

Here Is My Story

I absolutely agree with Supersyn. I had the budget and inclination towards CRDi always but could not manage to convince myself enough to justify the premium, that CRDi demand over petrol. My daily run is not as much courtesy the transport provided by corporates these days. So the run is limited to weekends.

I actually did it on paper what Supersyn suggested before arriving to the decesion. Calculated the kms I will possibly cover in 5 years, the monetary benefit I would derive out of the running and compared it to the cost I will bear as a premium now. It would have taken me 4 years to cover the premium that I would have to incur now by when I believe I will be almost ready for my next. So did not make much sense to me.

What all I considered prior to my most valuable purchase (Verna Xi) )was :
1. ABS + EBD
2. AIRBAGS
The above two factors were never a concern. Though I absolutely agree they are a very important safety features that one looks for but after driving a Matiz and Esteem for years, these were not the kind of features I was looking for my new car to carry. Moreover the real benefits of these features is for those who plan to take their machines to high speed highway driving very often. Thats when they come in real handy. For city driving I believe whats provided in the car is much better than the league below, that is the school I wanted to graduate from to the new one called Verna.

3. Mounted Stereo Controls
4. Integrated Stereo
Unlike most of us here I rather was looking for the one where these features are not standard. I wished and like to have the ICE setup as per my choice than to do with the one provided as standard.

5. Performance & Power
6. Mileage
Though I have read a lot otherwise but my personal opinion is that both Verna Petrol and Deisel scores way above the competetion in this department. I drove almost all the available options except fiesta which I did not really want and then opted for my beast. The mileage of the car is not behind the ones in the segment. Its very commendable infact with the power it delivers. Though post my purchase I drove a Cedia sport and it sure was an eye opener but that does come for a price.

7. Exterior
8. Interior
I would give top place here to the City which sure is a good looker and second place to Verna though again looks are relative. If everyone had an eye for the same design there wouldnt have been a need to have different car designs. The world would have been ruled by a single body design and different monster under their hood.

9. Comfort
All of the cars in the segment almost provide the same at this corner. Maybe an inch here or there but truly speaking I had to have a measuring tape to realise the difference.

10. Road Grip.
Here I would have expected verna to give more. The 16" on SX4 today rule the charts compared to

So I would say at the end it comes down to your own preferences and choice of features you demand your car to have. If we just talk about the engine and not the features this car in both the version (Petrol and Deisel) is surely commendable and every penny paid is worth it. So no go take a drive before making an opinion.
Old 18th July 2007, 13:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
I feel that all consumers should sit down and actually calculate the actual saving they will make with a diesel over a petrol, given the cost per kilomoeter and the projected annual mileage, and how long the vehicle must be operated to have tangible financial benefits.

(Slightly OT) - I did this calculation comparing the pertrol and diesel versions of the Fiesta and Verna and realised that with a running of 1500 kms/month, at current fuel prices, it would take about 4 years to break even.

If you consider the interest you're loosing on the 1L-1.25L premium for a diesel, it takes even longer to break even.
Old 20th July 2007, 16:32   #23
BHPian

nice car but wish it had an automatic option and the fiat build quality or atleast teh GM build quality.
Old 20th July 2007, 22:39   #24
BHPian

i think hyundai has greatly improved the built quality of the verna.
Old 20th July 2007, 23:03   #25
BHPian

I buy only Diesel cars not because my running is much. Its only because it gives me mental comfort while going for drives or leaving the car & A/C switched on while waiting even in excess of 15mins.
Old 20th July 2007, 23:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

I personally feel that Verna CRDI is overpriced for the features it offers compared to the top of the line petrol version. If Hyundai had given all the features as in the petrol one, i would say the price they are asking is justified.
Old 20th July 2007, 23:43   #27
BHPian

exaclty. hyundai taking down all the features from the diesel variant feels like a rip-off. also a thing to note is that all the new cars like the verna or the fiesta for that matter, dont look like they are worth the amount. take for example a nhc and the old-gen city. u can safely say that the OHC was worth 8-9L but the new one just doesnt cut it for me. no offence to any owner though.
Old 21st July 2007, 00:02   #28
BHPian

one should wait for Swift-Diesel Sedan which is duw in Jan 2008..it is having one of the most refined diesel engine and regarding pricing Maruti is going quite aggressive with its newly launched vehciles and they will continue this with Swift sedan also
Old 21st July 2007, 00:49   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartmundu View Post
one should wait for Swift-Diesel Sedan which is duw in Jan 2008..it is having one of the most refined diesel engine and regarding pricing Maruti is going quite aggressive with its newly launched vehciles and they will continue this with Swift sedan also
A swift diesel sedan? what is the source of your info? AFAIK, maruti/khattar has always laughed off the idea of a swift sedan. and what about this most refined diesel engine thing? are you suggesting that it will have a different engine from the current 1.3 MJD?
Old 21st July 2007, 00:55   #30
BHPian

i think he is referring to SX4 MJD. i dont think there is any other sedan in the pipeline.

Most Viewed