Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2004, 01:42   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Clear lens headlights, fresh interiors, a revised steering ratio (shorter turning radius), keyless entry and 60:40 second row seat. Pricing between 4.88 to 5.87 lacs ex-showroom Delhi.

Hmmmmm...what is Tata trying here? Clearly they are trying to get the urban personal car buyer - the same chap who picks up a Qualis/Tavera/Scorpio instead of a sedan. Its not going to be that easy since this is a lesson taken from the incumbent Maruti in face-lifting outdated models. Also the fact that it is the urban buyer who is more informed about product attributes. The Sumo is a decade old design now and the competition outclasses in each and every area.

In the wake of such amazing competition in the MUV segment, Tata is said to be frantically working on the next gen Sumo. Its probably just buying some time with the Victa.

GTO
Old 9th July 2004, 03:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading somewhere that the Sumo replacement has been pushed to sometime in 06 or 07 which is why this "freshening" up job. To think of it, the wheelbase is as big as the Indica (same infact), that high COG contributing to its problems. Hope Tata resolves that in its upcoming Sumo.

Revv
Old 9th July 2004, 04:38   #3
BHPian

Everybody seems to be following Ford's example. Rename and attempt to laugh yourself to the bank. The agency where I work has been handling Ford in Pune since inception and I can tell you its tough working for them. Every time they come up with a new incarnation its the same story. So what's new, what do I talk about, what's have you guys done? And the marketing guy says, Oh we changed the name. They make some very superficial changes and want us to create a buzz on basically nothing. Oi, is it possible they guy could be on this board. This is not very smart, is it?

Ok back to Tata and I think they are losing the script. They had great momentum with Indica and sitting on their backsides now is going to cost them in future. Like in their buses and trucks division. They have been trying to position the Sumo as a car even women can drive and these latest changes are probably one more step in that direction but tell me how many women have you seen driving a Sumo? I've test driven the Tavera and while it has to be said its dog slow and a truck masquerading as a muv suv whatever its far better than the Sumo in general sturdiness and stability. But its too heavy and ugly as hell. The Scorpio showroom and workshop happens to be next to my office and I can tell you its not a pretty sight. They are not safe. period. That leaves the Qualis which inspite of its "great engine and ride quality" has to be the biggest insult on the Indian public by one of the worlds best car makers. So here's an opportunity for Tata to act swiftly and do some damage and here's their answer. Victra! man it doesn't even sound right. Victra!! a play on victory? a vectra with a missing e? What sort of stupid name is that. I've been interacting with some of Tata's design divisions lately and let me tell you these guys can't even spell innovate. All the design work is done abroad by companies like Faurecia and these guys essentially proofread it. Apparently there's a massive shortage of skilled designers in India with conception and technical skills in packages like Catia and stuff. Apparently Mahindra do it all inhouse but we all know the result of that. Maybe somebody wiser and more clued into the auto manufacturing scene in India can tell me why we can't get it right. Or am I just expecting too much?

Raul
Old 9th July 2004, 05:11   #4
gTr
BHPian

Raul,dude....u said it all in a go!!!1
And i totally agree with ya.....No 2 thoughts bout any of the SUVs/MUVs in the indian market.Its definately not a happy sighting.
I guess one SUV/MUV wotevah it is,which is really good for middle-class buy is the Tempo Trax Cruiser...the car is so huge,one can actually sleep in it....
it goes wit a starting price of rs 6000/sq. ft.

Hehe......I guess DC wud'nt even mind converting that in2 a House on Wheelz!!

Old 9th July 2004, 11:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (gTr @ July 09 2004,03:41)]Raul,dude....u said it all in a go!!!1
And i totally agree with ya.....No 2 thoughts bout any of the SUVs/MUVs in the indian market.Its definately not a happy sighting.
I guess one SUV/MUV wotevah it is,which is really good for middle-class buy is the Tempo Trax Cruiser...the car is so huge,one can actually sleep in it....
it goes wit a starting price of rs 6000/sq. ft.

Hehe......I guess DC wud'nt even mind converting that in2 a House on Wheelz!!
Old 9th July 2004, 14:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey Raul,

You would be suprised as to how many people are visitors on TBHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Apparently Mahindra do it all inhouse
About a year ago, Mahindra had some competition on redesigning the scorpio or something like that to stimulate young Indians interested in automotive design. The final presentation of all the chosen participants sketches and renderings was displayed at the NCPA along with some variety entertainment (somehow connected to the "car" theme).
It was good to see that the Mahindras are making a huge effort to cultivate the talent of young indian car designers etc.

cheers
R
Old 9th July 2004, 16:22   #7
BHPian

Well... frankly speaking i m a hardcore safari fan.. but scorpio has got a cutting edge which even safari dosn`t havn`t ....

2f2f
Old 9th July 2004, 20:32   #8
BHPian

Oops! its Victa not Victra. Great, Now it sounds like a digestive biscuit. And 2f2f the Scorpio does have a cutting edge, the last accident I'm aware of the thing rolled and the roof just fell off! Can you imagine that? Your head, out there exposed?
Old 9th July 2004, 21:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

The new Sumo...well i had expected the Tata guys to have done better...i expected a completely different look...but...

Yeah....i too do feel that the Indian MUV/SUV segment doesn't have the 'punch' factor....
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] .....the last accident I'm aware of the thing rolled and the roof just fell off! Can you imagine that? Your head, out there exposed?
thats scary!!
Old 9th July 2004, 21:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you notice properly the front end (below the hood...the headlight and grille design) does look similar to that of a Qualis...only slightly broader, though. Guys What say??

Old 9th July 2004, 21:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

old wine, in a new bottle, which will seem old sooner then you think. not that it will taste any better. neither are they going to ever get some petrol heads into their company to infuse new life into their vehicle. let them beat it to death. the other companies seem to do it, why not let tata do it too. go ahead guya, have a ball.

btw, raul i completely agree about Scorpios not being safe. Revvmaster told me sometime back that they fishtail at high speeds, combine that with the fact that they are not crash tested, a combination that i would die for. i think it's about time companies woke up and stopped taking human life for granted.
Old 9th July 2004, 23:28   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here is my Mahindra Scorpio Topic where the company's irresponsible behaviour is discussed. C'mon, 109 Turbo-Diesel horses in a vehicle that cant handle more than 80 km/h?

GTO
Old 9th July 2004, 23:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

its a dog, favorite trick is to roll over
Old 10th July 2004, 22:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

They are supposed to have done a lot of road testing(a million KM if i'm right?) with the Scorpio before it was launched....i wonder how come the problem was not attended to...its scary man!!
Old 11th July 2004, 02:57   #15
BANNED

doin it the maruti style i see. mod a old car over and over and over and over and over
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks